Start by marking “Friendship Cake” as Want to Read:
Friendship Cake

Friendship Cake (Hope Springs #1)

3.4  ·  Rating details ·  1,118 Ratings  ·  131 Reviews
“I would welcome a friendship with Lynne Hinton. I would welcome an invitation to sit down at her table, but mostly I would welcome her next book.”
—Maya Angelou

Lynne Hinton’s beloved bestselling classic, Friendship Cake, is a beautiful, poignant, and funny novel of five small-town women friends that offers inspiring life lessons in faith, love, strength, survival, and com
Published April 26th 2000 by HarperOne (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Friendship Cake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Friendship Cake

Lisa (Harmonybites)
Jun 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those Looking for a Sweet, Light Feelgood Story of Friendship Among Women
Shelves: chick-lit
OK, I feel like a sap for loving this so much, but I confess I did. And goodness, I have to give props for a book so moving it made me cry--more than once.

I give you fair warning. This is friendship cake indeed. Light and sweet enough to carry a label cautioning you about cavities and diabetic shock. A novel about five women: a young pastor of a Christian church in North Carolina and four of her elderly parishioners in a graying congregation. We get to know each in turn in the five introductory
Jan 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book from a wonderful friend for Christmas, and read it today - the perfect "I'm sick and feel yukky so need a brain candy" book!
Seeming like a Mitford book with an apparent light theme, the book actually went into some heavier areas. It touched on the themes of homosexuality, alzheimers, interracial marriages and of course, friendship and all that it entails and means. A group of older women begin their relationship acrimoneously, yet through an autumn filled with major events
Jul 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I viewed this book before I read it as a pleasant, light read for the summer. Was I ever wrong! It is an amazing book. I highly recommend all women to read it. It reads easy and fast, but it is an intense story about women's friendships in a small town. Twice I found myself in tears over this book. And then there was laughter as well. I loved it. Lynne Hinton, was able to do so much in such a small book. Can't wait to read the rest in the series. READ IT!
Mar 19, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
eh! I survived it. I was awake at the end. I was suppose to fall in love with the characters I do not know why I didn't. This si a series of books I think there is at least four, me being me read the second one thinking it was me but hey you like what you like.
May 28, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Many narrating characters

A poignant story of a handful of women who meet regularly to discuss a cookbook they're putting together, gathering recipes from the church members, young and old alike.

We meet Louise who has never been married and is taking care of a long-time friend with Alzheimer's. Louise is not afraid to speak her mind, upsetting people along the way.

Margaret is widowed. She and her late husband Luther never had children. The young women in the community go to her for advice.

Feb 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2007-reads
I thought this would be just a quick "cozy" read actually touched on topics I wouldn't have expected: homosexuality, divorce, Alzheimers, alcoholism, teen pregnancy, racism...

What was especially nice was that there was no "7th Heaven-esque" resolution at the end where everyone agreed and believed the same things. Instead, like most friends, they agreed to disagree and to support and love each other.

The change in viewpoint from 1st person of the main characters for the first introductory chapters
A heartwarming and poignant story about five very different women who form a lasting bond of friendship as they work together to create a cookbook. The story will make you laugh, and cry, and most of all, appreciate your friends. There are several delicious Southern recipes included, but this book gets five stars for the "real friendship cake" recipe!
Cathy Serpico
Nov 30, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was surprised at how much I ended up enjoying this book, thinking that the spiritual themes would be a turn-off. If anything they were more meditative than religious, and this turned out to be a sweet easy read about the women of Hope Springs and the unlikely friendship that blooms among strong personalities.
Sep 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book so much. It's like a cross between "Steel Magnolias" and "The Help."
Good story on friendship by more "new age" and "tolerant" than I agree with for a group of "church" women.
Sep 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
So far I think that this is a cute book.
I actually thought that this was an Amazing book. I can not wait to read the next one!!
May 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Very sweet, kinda funny and a little bit sad. A lovely, easy-going read. Liked it enough to read the rest of the trilogy.
May 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys books about women friendships.
Recommended to Dawn by: Caught my eye in the bookstore.
I remember really enjoying this book and liking the characters. This was the first book in a series and it was my favorite of them.
Tara J. Vargo
Feb 26, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I did not like this book at all; it was a struggle to even finish it. The story focuses on four ladies of the Hope Springs Community Church in North Carolina. They start out as members of the same church committee (making a church cookbook) who don't always get along, but end up becoming the best of friends. I'm supposed to believe that even though these 4 ladies have attended the same small church for most of their lives, they never were that close or really knew each other. It takes this cookb ...more
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked the characters, though through the first few chapters, I kept having to flip back to remind myself who was who. The inclusion of serious themes (the meaning of love, unanswered prayers, death, and racism, to name just a few) was broad, but somewhat lightly handled. I would have been interested in some greater depth to the stories - I am looking forward to reading the sequels to see how some of these life stories play out. All in all, I laughed and I cried and I'm left wanting more ...more
Marla Sigler
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading Friendship Cake was a very enjoyable journey. What a bunch of characters! These women are a group knitted together by their church. They all have very different paths - past and present.
Lynne Hinton illuminates these women and their lives and draws us in. I laughed out loud at the dynamic between these women. I sobbed when their heartaches were stones to big to carry.
Hope and friendship are spotlighted along with a few recipes.
Dee Paske
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was passed on to me by my sister-in-law. It started out ok and I was not very excited about the story. However, it developed into a really good book! A young female pastor of a greying congregation in North Carolina. Social topics were addressed that I never expected to see in this book. Well done.
Feb 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an ok quick read. I like more action and excitement in my books.
Jan 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know I was supposed to love this book but in truth, for me, it was just okay. It mostly dragged till near the end, when it finally - too late - got interesting.
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I plucked this book off my shelf of books given to me. It was better than I expected it to be and addressed relevant topics. A quick and easy read.
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the fourth book I have read by this author in a little over a month. Needless to say, I am a fan.
Gina Shupp
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book, might be the first I have read from this author. The book spoke of true love, what friends will do for each other and what brought them all together.
Sep 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Georgia Herod
Jun 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I completely agree with Maya Angelou's comments about being Hinton's friend, sitting at her table, and awaiting her next book.
An easy read, light in some ways, but with deep themes, this book is a celebration of women, faith, friendship, and delicious Southern food. Five women from Hope Springs Community Church in NC form a committee (the first clue that this will unfold without difficulty!) to create a church cookbook. While outwardly the project and product brings them together, the process
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in 2 days. I am stuck in bed with a broken ankle but this is exactly the kind of book that should be read in this circumstance. The story of a small group of women of various ages, and backgrounds, and how they come to be more than aquaintainences. They become actual friends. Most of us who will be honest, will admit that women can be horrible to each other. Backbiting. Sarcastic. Hateful. Mean. Vindictive. You get my point. And this happens all the time. And truly, I don't know ...more
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: women-s-fiction
My Review:
HarperCollins|March 21, 2002|Trade Paperback|ISBN: 978-0-06-251731-9
When five women from the Hope Springs Community Church in North Carolina form a committee to create a church cookbook, they embark on a project much more meaningful than they could have ever imagined. As novice pastor Charlotte Stewart, no-nonsense Margaret Peele, maverick Louise Fisher, steadfast Jessie Jenkins, and busybody Beatrice Newgarden meet to share recipes, they begin to open their lives and hearts as well.
I set out to read The Friendship Cake after learning that The Christmas Cake, a book I won and read earlier in the month, was actually book four in the Hope Springs series. I wanted to know what started these women on their journey together as friends.

The Friendship Cake was another easy read, yet also lightly touched with tougher topics like homosexuality, Alzheimer's, teenage pregnancy, the death of a child, race issues, and marital problems. Lynne Hinton's writing itself is average, but she
Dec 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hope Springs Community Church Women's Guild needs a project to boost its declining membership. It is decided to compile a Church cookbook and a committee of five women (including the young, female minister) are selected. From here, the story relates not only the problems in getting the recipes but also the relationships between these women and their families. All the emotional range is present from a faith-questioning moment to death of a loved one, reuniting of an estranged daughter and mother, ...more
May 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Initially, I thought this book may be a little confusing, since 5+ main characters is a little too many to remember. I was pleasently suprised that each character was distinct and the author did a good job to help the reader remember some of the less important characters. This book is a good one if you want a quick book to read, or don't feel good and want to curl up on the couch. It is probably not a book you will remember reading in a couple years, but not every book needs to be that way. It i ...more
Kat Pennylegion
I liked this book. It took me a while to get into it because the first several chapters seem to be about just one person (each chapter) in the town, so it didn't feel like it really had a consistent story. But then the characters started to weave together, and the story came out for the second half of the book. I actually went back and re-read the first five chapters once I knew more about the 5 main characters, and I picked up a lot more information that I didn't really notice the first time. C ...more
  • Aprons on a Clothesline (The Lake Emily Series #3)
  • A Miracle for St. Cecilia's
  • Leaving the Comfort Cafe
  • How Sweet It Is (Heart of Carolina #2)
  • The Lumby Lines (Lumby Series Book 1)
  • The Ladies of Covington Send Their Love (Ladies of Covington, #1)
  • Chaos - Graphic Novel (The Lost Books, #4)
  • The Island of Heavenly Daze (Heavenly Daze #1)
  • Heaven Scent
  • Dearest Dorothy, If Not Now, When? (Dearest Dorothy, #6)
  • The French for Christmas
  • The Sweetgum Ladies Knit for Love (Sweetgum Knit #2)
  • The Inn at Angel Island (Angel Island, #1)
  • At Home on Ladybug Farm (Ladybug Farm #2)
  • Christmas at Thornton Hall
  • Pug Hill
  • Honey Trap
  • Where Heaven Begins
Lynne Hinton is the pastor of St. Paul's United Church of Christ in Rio Rancho, New Mexico. The author of numerous novels including Friendship Cake, Hope Springs, Forever Friends, Christmas Cake, and Wedding Cake, she lives in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
More about Lynne Hinton...

Hope Springs (5 books)
  • Hope Springs (Hope Springs #2)
  • Forever Friends (Hope Springs #3)
  • Christmas Cake

• Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Bagombo Snuff Box
  • The High Mountains of Portugal
  • The Cat's Pajamas: Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Thistle and the Rose (Tudor Saga, #8)
  • The Burgess Boys
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Waterfalls (Glenbrooke, #6)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Tibetan Book of the Dead: The Great Liberation through Hearing in the Bardo (Shambhala Classics)
  • Skinny Legs and All
    $14.99 $1.99
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • The Most Dangerous Place on Earth
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Waiting for Morning (Forever Faithful, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99