Start by marking “Only in Death” as Want to Read:
Only in Death

Only in Death (Gaunt's Ghosts #11)

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  1,725 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
As the crusade to liberate the Sabbat Worlds continues, Colonel-Commissar Gaunt leads the Tanith First-and-Only into an unforgiving new warzone - the fortress world of Jago.
Published January 1st 2008 by Games Workshop (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Only in Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Only in Death

Andrew Ziegler
Aug 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Wow. Just wow. 11 books into a series about a homeless regiment of infantry and you would think that it would be just another rehash of old situations and similar plot lines. You would think that until you just put down this particular 11th book in the Gaunt's Ghosts series.

I was thinking about just leaving a one word review for this book because I was left speechless by how awesome it was, and how I instantly was saddened by the fact that it was over.

Abnett hit's another long ball out of the p
Martin
Nov 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: warhammer-40k, sci-fi
Only in Death

On the fortress-world Jago, Lord-General Van Voytz addresses the Tanith First personally. He 'asks' the Ghosts to secure an empty stronghold to the east of Elikon, the central Imperial bastion on the planet. It is clear from the start that Gaunt resents these orders. After six days of marching through Jago's desert-like terrain and enduring dust-storms, the Ghosts reach their objective: Hinzerhaus, dubbed the house at the end of the world.

As they attempt to secure the fortress, the
David
Jun 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was perhaps the best book in the Gaunt's Ghost series since First and Only or Necropolis. I couldn't put it down. It was also a nice departure from the course of the last few books. Only in Death was a pleasurable mix of military science fiction, super-natural thriller, and survivalist thriller. It was definitely a high note to end this part of the Ghosts' story arc on.
Jacob
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Quite possibly one of the best in an amazing series. A Gaunt's Ghosts ghost story featuring brutal tunnel warfare, siege warfare, warfare warfare. Grabs you from the start, and chills you like a wind over skulls....
Michael
Aug 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The story of Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt and his regiment, the Tanith First-And-Only, continues in this book. Abnett continues with the excitement level of his previous stories in the series. Abnett places the regiment in an apparently haunted fortress where, as usual, they have to hold the critical point of the campaign. The usual twists and turns are in place and lead to a series of (OK, the usual) climactic battles against the Blood Pact. With each chapter, the situation becomes more and mo ...more
Edoardo Albert
Jun 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
A good one. A desert world, the Ghosts holed up in a deserted fortress in the mountains, screaming hordes of Blood Pact forces surrounding them, ghosts of Ghosts stirring, and Gaunt himself missing in action. There's a particularly shocking denouement, when we find out the origin of the ghosts that have been appearing to the beseiged men, and Abnett's trademark ability to write endlessly about battle and keep it interesting every time.
Troy
Feb 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Dan Abnett fans, 40k fans
Shelves: wh40k
I really enjoyed this book. Abnett has said that this might not be the last Gaunt's Ghosts novel but he is taking a break from the series. "Only in Death" doesn't disappoint. It is classic Abnett with page-turning action and he is able to bring it in yet another fresh plot with the Ghosts. As the 11th book in the series there is a lot of backstory from the previous novels that enriches the story here and is crucial to the very satisfying twist at the end.
Razael
Mar 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The 11 th instalment of the Ghosts series really made me cry into the end. A brilliant end of The Lost saga. Only in Death Duty ends.
Daniel O'Brien
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sweet mother of epic badassery. It's 4am. I just read this straight through. Abnett was touched by the Saint again and pulled off the story to end all stories. The series could end here and all would be right with the world. Fucking. Epic.

4 stars. Because, let's be honest, it's still mil sci-fi trash :D

Even if it did make me tear up.
Matthew
Apr 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gw-sci-fi-read
As Strong As Ever

This series carries on from The Saint omnibus with four new stories in the sabbat worlds crusade, starting off with a mission on Gereon where a general known to the ghosts has been taken captive, either that or he turned, a small team of Ghosts try to track him down to either rescue or assassinate him, and in the process have to deal with a chaos world in the making, whilst Gaunt is away the ghosts are disbanded and when he returns he has to bring them back together, His Last Co
Eric
Jun 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Book 11 of the Gaunt's Ghosts series and the last so far. Is it good? I read it in one day...
I only recommend it for fans of the genre though: Warhammer 40K players and anyone who likes non-stop insane sci-fi military action/adventure! Likewise with other books from the 40K universe. Others may find them a bit over the top.
Dan Abnett IS the master of war!

What did I learn from this book? Hmm. Never underestimate the power of ancient alien technologies to literally blast your opponents into bloody
GUS BUS!
Nov 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Warhammer readers or fans of gothic literature
This book was great the latest addition to the gaunts ghosts series(At the time of writting this review). It had all of the things that are in every haunted house movie, gothic literature thing that you could think of. IT MADE IT GREAT. Each main character saw there own little things in the house and not to mention the blood pact knocking on their door. Plus many mysteries that you have to read to find out. sure as sure. Also many a blood pact meets Mr.Yellow. All in all this was one of the best ...more
Jona Marklund
Nov 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
After the last three books the ghosts return with a bang. I really enjoyed Only in Death (does duty end).

Whilst some parts were very predictable, a lot of... Just read it, if you've come this far into the Ghost's Saga, it's not as if you're going to stop, is it?

If you were going to however, this is the book which will make sure you don't stray from the path of righteousness.
Cold Winter
Dec 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: sci-fi (40K0 fans
I have yet to read this book, but I don't have to read it to know that it is a work of genius. The last book in the Gaunts Ghosts series, the title is enought to make the hairs on any Gaunts Ghosts fan stand on end.

"Men of Tanith, do you want to live forever?"
Seth Smith
Jul 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Only in death does duty end. This is a close second to His Last Command as one of the greatest Black library novels released.
Jonathan
Aug 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, warhammer-40k
Best Gaunt's Ghost novel to-date, Dan Abnett's still got it. I like how much the characters have changed over the series and this one shows that in spades.
Christian Robless
Dec 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A military regiment. A haunted fortress. Thousands of enemies. Only time will tell how this will end.
Jan Amza
Jul 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book has I nice horror story touch to it.
Adam Whitehead
Jul 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
The war in the Sabbat Worlds wages on. The Ghosts have been deployed to Jago with orders to hold the remote mountain fortress of Hinzerhaus against a possible enemy flanking maneuver. Arriving at the massive redoubt, the Ghosts find a vast house hiding ancient secrets and inhabited by some old friends. As the forces of Chaos mount an assault on Hinzerhaus, the Ghosts discover that a far greater threat than the exterior enemy may lurk in the bowels of the fortress.

Only in Death brings the 'Lost'
Lokidm
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
En este mes y poco que llevamos de año me he leído desde la quinta novela hasta la undécima novela de los Primero y Únicos. (Realmente ha sido en los últimos quince días).

Las peripecias de los Fantasmas y su carismático líder me atrapan completamente, tanto que no podía dejar un descanso entre libros, puesto que quería saber que penalidades les ocurrirían.

Los combates son bestiales (aunque se hacen un poco repetitivos, normal tras once libros), y el carisma de los personajes es desbordante, seg
Iri
Feb 08, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5

I suppose this was one of the most dry-humored Ghost novel ever. And after the all paranormal activity fethingsfest and the funny Blood Pact Hinzerhaus try-to-make-a-picnic, probably dust got into my eyes too, I guess. I have no other explanation for the flood suddenly streaming from them.

(And the jokes about Cant were so ridiculously hilarious I cant stop laughing not even now.)
Calyx
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
amazing. never i think has a book been this big. never have i felt location this well. as both huge and claustrophobic... 11 time for me with the ghosts and still fresh new and worth it all!
Rosalie Morris
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was largely bored and confused by this book until the last couple of chapters then it all made sense and was fabulous. It does drag though, and is a fairly bland ending to the series.
Tepintzin
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: warhammer-40k
Darn it, Dan, stop hurting me like this.
Scooter
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: warhammer-40k
Wow, that was an awesome read.
Michael T Bradley
Dec 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: w40k
Oh, man. I don't understand how Abnett keeps turning out quality stuff like this. It's insane to me that this is like ... Book 11, and it's getting better.

While I couldn't really care less about the Blood Pact at this point (maybe their titular novel will change my mind?), they make good enough enemies, and the real star of this book is Hinzerhaus, the Ghosts' base of operations, itself. The first 50 pages or so of this book play out like Gaunt's Ghosts meets House of Leaves, which is ... unusu
Richard Tran
May 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Julie
Oct 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
So it turns out that this is book #11 in the Gaunt's Ghosts series, but considering that I read the Ravenor omnibus that takes place in the same universe, I managed just fine. I think I missed out on some character development and references to past battles, but it was still a captivating read. Scared the pants off me though!
Tobin
Dec 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
More than any other this entry into the Gaunt's Ghost series is a ghost story. The darkness and confusion comes through and really puts you in the middle of these untenable scenes. Abnett continued to deliver with this book.

One warning - I wouldn't read this one unless you've read the previous 10. But they are certainly worth your time as well.

I gave it 8.5/10 on my personal scale.
Badger42
Jun 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
It was a nice departure from the normal battles we've read in previous books. I enjoyed the confusion and desperation.

I gave it three stars as it totally IGNORED AND SPAT AT important plot elements of the previous book of the series. How can someone not know what they did know in the previous book?!

Okay, perhaps it's harsh to drop 2 stars for that reason, but that's how I felt about it.
  • Duty Calls
  • Storm of Iron
  • Soul Hunter (Night Lords #1)
  • Firedrake
  • Let the Galaxy Burn
  • Execution Hour (The Gothic War, #1)
  • Daemon World
  • Hammer and Anvil
  • Last Chancers
  • Relentless
  • Grey Hunter

Gaunt's Ghosts (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • First and Only (Gaunt's Ghosts, #1)
  • Ghostmaker (Gaunt's Ghosts, #2)
  • Necropolis