Start by marking “The Highly Effective Detective Crosses the Line (The Highly Effective Detective, #4)” as Want to Read:

The Highly Effective Detective Crosses the Line (The Highly Effective Detective #4)

3.07  ·  Rating details ·  107 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
In this fourth installment of Rick Yancey’s touching and funny Highly Effective Detective Series, lovable but bumbling PI Teddy Ruzak is out of his league again, and this time, things are getting serious.

Farrell, one of Teddy’s old friends, is in desperate need of Teddy’s help. His daughter Isabella’s ex-boyfriend, locked up for assault, is days away from being released fr
Published February 15th 2011 by Minotaur Books (first published February 4th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Highly Effective Detective Crosses the Line, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Highly Effective Detective Crosses the Line

Debbie
Feb 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very well written. I will never read another Rick Yancey book. He kills Archie. Slaughters him. The dog. A mobster cuts off his paw and ear. Slits him open and his intestines spill out. His beautiful brown eyes stare sightlessly at you. Literary license be damned. I am done with Rick Yancey. I cried for 2 hours. I can get this shit in the news. Fuck you Rick Yancey.
Robert J. Sullivan
Teddy Ruzak, Memphis private detective, has a new case. His old friend, Farrell, wants Ruzak to guard his daughter from her ex-boyfriend, who spent three months in prison for beating her. The daughter, Isabella, wants no part of the plan. Is she in touch with him? Still in love with him? Ruzak's investigation reveals the boyfriend is a psychopath with ties to white power groups. In addition, Ruzak is in counseling trying to deal with being in love with his secretary/boss.

The blurb describes the
Melinda
May 29, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't finish it. In the middle was an entirely unasked for, and unneeded scene that changed the entire feel of the characters and the storytelling. It took the book from a relaxed pleasant mystery series to a darker series. I don't mind dark mystery series, those more true to life. But such an abrupt change wasn't something I was ok with. And there wasn't really an reason for it.

****Spoiler alert****

Why do authors seem to think it is perfectly fine to destroy animals violently? Especially w
Chris
Nov 21, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A "detective" who can't pass the PI test is asked to guard his buddy's daughter--who doesn't wish to be supervised.
During the writing of this book, the author, Richard Yancey, must have gone through some dark, troubling times. He tries to incorporate slapstick humor in inappropriate places, has his main character try to deal with unrequited love, a maimed animal, foreboding predictions and seems to try to make a strong argument for segregation.
Yancey wrote this novel in a "true life" style rathe
Suka
Apr 18, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I would actually give this 2.5 stars. This is #4 in the Highly Effective Detective series. I really enjoyed #3; it was clever, funny and entertaining. This one was dark and disturbing, out of character for Teddy Ruzak, not touching and funny as the previous book. I started reading it and put it aside because I didn't like the direction it was going. Picked it back up when it was almost due back at the library.

I did like the developing relationship with Felicia though. Now I am in the process of
Martinet
Feb 20, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Much darker than the previous Teddy Ruzak books. This one had a crime scene that was really difficult for me, personally, to read--very gory and emotionally draining.

I felt the author "grow up" as a writer in the previous book (the ending of that one was beautifully written and moving) but this feels like a bit of a step back. It spun its wheels a LOT in the beginning before finally picking up around the middle. I think it could have gotten where it was going much more quickly, although the twi
Nancy
Feb 13, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, series
I keep reading this light murder mystery series, but I can't quite decide why. It is VERY WORDY, the author likes to play around with words, and some of that is very amusing but other parts I find fairly annoying. I guess this will be the last Yancey I read. I do like the premise though, an overweight intelligent nerd who wants to be a detective, and who does solve crimes, but can't manage to pass his detective test and has many challenges in his interpersonal skills.
Thompson
A pretty straight forward mystery. Not a lot of twists and turns. The protagonist is hired to protect a friend's daughter from a sociopathic ex-boyfriend. The boyfriend is out of jail and "missing." The daughter does not want protecting. The protagonist seeks for the boyfriend anyway, to the peril of others.

Much of the book is about psychoanalyzing the protagonist.

The book is well written, sometimes witty, but not real deep.
Aug 15, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of the reviews mention that this book "turns really dark" and goes to a bad place, and while I do think it's a bit dark at some point, it is a mystery/crime-ish novel, so I"m not sure what people expect. It's no where near as dark as a mystery novel could be, yet it's not quite as cheery as the first few books. It's still a good book, and a quick and entertaining read.
Susan
Jun 10, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Teddy Ruzak, a former policeman and security guard turned private investigator, is anything but effective in this story. He is also highly self-absorbed which is always a problem with a first person narrator. It is hard to find anything to recommend about the book. The villains are particularly nasty and brutal and characters that are likeable tend to turn into victims.
Linda
Aug 12, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The series has gotten progressively darker with each book, but this crossed the line (as the title says) in more ways than one. Teddy's motivation made no sense. He's smart enough to out think the police and FBI, but he can't see the response his actions will provoke? Uh-huh. The clever word play is not enough to make me keep reading this series.
Caran-marie
Jun 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fiction
Enjoyable. The main detective character is a little rambly in his thinking, but in rather a fun way. It did take a while to get into the book- and I was starting to think about abandoning it- but the second half picks up action. A rather sensitive guy trying to be a hardboiled detective who's in love with his secretary who's rather more "in tune" with the way the world works than he is.
Edith
May 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book and I think it is the best one out of the series. I have always enjoyed Teddy Ruzak. He is much smarter than he comes across. The back and forth dialogue is very smart and clever. I, too, was very upset with what happened to Archie. I am sorry that this happened.

I guess this series has come to a close. I will miss Teddy Ruzak.
Lizzy
May 06, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mystery
I didn't realize this was a series. I picked it up on the new books shelf at the library. I was in stitches with the conversations! Very humorous, but not a cozy mystery. Rather a disturbing event happened and there were quite a few F bombs. I would like to read the first book and get to know Ruzak. The dialog is priceless!
Vicki Cline
I don't quite know what to say about this one. I love this series and Teddy Ruzak is one of my favorite characters. But right after an account of one of the funniest dinner parties ever comes two horrifyingly violent incidents that really upset me. I'm hoping the series continues but I don't know if it can regain the light-heartedness of the first three books.
Kristin
Jan 11, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Very disappointed in this book. not like the others. Really depressing.
Erin
Jun 25, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I thought this was a humorous series, but the humor ended with this book. Muliple tragic things happen and the main character seems unable to deal with any of it. The series took too dark of turn.
Albert Riehle
The previously quirky, fun series gets dark and ugly. I commend the writer for not writing the same book over and over again like some do, but to take it to this dark place was the wrong choice.
Laura Eckert
I enjoyed this, but not enough to want to continue with the series. A tad bit depressing.
Colleen
Dec 12, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I enjoyed it but found the violen ce to be a little har to take. I turn to this series for lighter mystry entertainment but this istallment was sufficiently dark for any taste
Ron
Apr 30, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, mystery
Definitely a more serious turn for the series. Good, but I miss the humor.
April
Still good but much sadder.
Joyce
Nov 23, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
don't like this one. hate the section in which Archie (the dog) was murdered and died. book has strange ending.
Deborah Sigel
Kyle M.
Nov 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Many comments indicate that this book is much darker than the other. I don't disagree and found it a welcome evolution to Theron character. Over all I found this book quite engaging.
Hapzydeco
Jul 07, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Yancey needs to visit Dr. Fredericks.
Donje
rated it did not like it
Aug 23, 2012
Mark Flowers
Aug 09, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Huckleberry Murders: A Sheriff Bo Tully Mystery
  • Tour de Lance: The Extraordinary Story of Lance Armstrong's Fight to Reclaim the Tour de France
  • Antiques Knock-Off (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery, #5)
  • Hidden Harmonies: The Lives and Times of the Pythagorean Theorem
  • The Room and the Chair
  • Theodor Seuss Geisel (Lives and Legacies)
  • Voice of America
  • Teaching the Pig to Dance: A Memoir of Growing Up and Second Chances
  • The Biggest Loser Success Secrets: The Wisdom, Motivation, and Inspiration to Lose Weight--and Keep It Off!
  • Belief: Readings on the Reason for Faith
  • The Reluctant Spy: My Secret Life in the CIA's War on Terror
  • Mom Still Likes You Best: The Unfinished Business Between Siblings
  • Access 2010: The Missing Manual
  • The Threatening Storm: The Case for Invading Iraq
  • Iced Tea (The Tea Series, #3)
  • Antología general
  • Dancing to the Flute
  • Ah-Choo!: The Uncommon Life of Your Common Cold
aka Richard Yancey

Rick is a native Floridian and a graduate of Roosevelt University in Chicago. He earned a B.A. in English which he put to use as a field officer for the Internal Revenue Service. Inspired and encouraged by his wife, he decided his degree might also be useful in writing books and in 2004 he began writing full-time.

Since then he has launched two critically acclaimed series: The Ext
More about Rick Yancey...

The Highly Effective Detective (4 books)
  • The Highly Effective Detective (The Highly Effective Detective, #1)
  • The Highly Effective Detective Goes to the Dogs (The Highly Effective Detective, #2)
  • The Highly Effective Detective Plays the Fool (The Highly Effective Detective, #3)