Start by marking “Craving God: A 21-Day Devotional Challenge” as Want to Read:
Craving God: A 21-Day Devotional Challenge

Craving God: A 21-Day Devotional Challenge

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  955 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
Has food become more about frustration than fulfillment? Take the 21-day challenge and discover how to:
* Break the cycle of 'I'll start again on Monday,' and feel good about yourself today.
* Stop agonizing over numbers on the scale and make peace with your body.
* Replace rationalizations that lead to diet failure with wisdom that leads to victory.
* Reach your healthy goal
Published January 18th 2011 by Zondervan (first published December 22nd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Craving God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Craving God

Melissa
Apr 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, faith
This is a companion to the book "Made to Crave," which I have actually not read. The 21 days of devotionals are short but meaty and helpful. Though I do not have a food struggle that matches that of the author, I think her advice and the biblical precepts she includes here apply to whatever a person may struggling with that vies for the place that only God can fill, the throne on which only He should sit, the longing that only He can meet.

We are made to crave God, not food; that's the bottom lin
Joan Haughton
Jan 07, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I did not finish this book, I stopped at day 4 or 18%. On day four it was mentioned that 'The object that enticed Eve might have been an apple" I stopped reading there because anyone who seriously study the Bible knows that this is wrong teaching. I could go no further.

I am sorry because the topic of the book appears to be a good one but the content is more about food than anything else. I pray that God will bless the author but I could not give the book more than one star because I could not co
Robyn V.
Feb 21, 2011 rated it liked it
I think this gave me a renewed perspective.
Diana
Apr 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Downloaded as a free iBook. I thought it had a few good insights (a reminder that we can trust God for self-control as evidence of the Spirit's work in our lives) but in some ways a little light.
Laura Schrillo
Day one-lets see if we end up any thinner? Great book. Still need to lose weight.
Gina
Jul 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
I'm really diggin' this book
Tina at Mommynificent
This book is really inspiring and helps to pinpoint the source of cravings you are having trouble saying no to. I found myself highlighting a lot and plan to re-read several sections.
Robin
Aug 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful devotional. I found myself wishing it were longer so I went and ordered Lysa's "Unglued " book, dvd, and participant guide . I cant wait til they arrive!
Lisa
May 04, 2011 rated it it was ok
"Life as a Christ follower will always be a learning process of depending less on our own strength and more on God's power."

Unfortunately, this book was not nearly as helpful as I was hoping it would be. There were nuggets of truth inside of it that really resonated, but they were tucked inside prose and sentiments that felt cliched and painfully worn out.

The things that were helpful:

- I know I won't be happy after the sugar high disappears. I'll simply be disappointed and/or craving more.
- I s
Deana Pittman
May 27, 2011 rated it liked it
I have been reading this book on and off for the last month. It's a great "thought for the day" or short devotion to start off your day. As someone who battles food cravings (especially junk food) all of the time, it was a great way to set my focus for my workout and my eating for the day. I would not say that these devotions brought great spiritual awakenings, I think you need a deeper type of Bible study if that is what you seek, but just bringing awareness of the cravings was a great insight ...more
Tarissa
Feb 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
A wonderful addition to any Christian woman's bookshelf, especially if she's trying to break a certain eating habit. I loved having this 21-day devotional, which reminds me to treat your body right for more reasons than just one. Creating balance in your life with food will create balance in other areas of your life too, even your spiritual life.

I especially enjoyed these words from day 21:
"Aren't you encouraged to see that overcoming is possible? We can be more than just women who hide our stru
Judy Jones
Lysa TerKeurst takes readers through her journey to long term weight loss. Hers is not a diet plan but a decision to make a craving switch. She insists we are made to crave, yet that craving is not to be directed to food. It should be directed toward God. I'd have to judge the message as effective. Reading it has already led me to change many of my eating habits.
Jared
Apr 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I got this free ebook from amazon and did not realize what it was about. It did not take long to realize this was clearly written to overweight women, but I found the author's insights and examples applicable to anyone. Who among us has not had to battle the temptation of the mighty cheetos or resist the siren song of the Oreo? Spend the half hour to read it.
Margaret
Jan 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a 21 day devotional designed to go along with the Made to Crave book. I don't have the book but I still got a lot out of this devotional. The author talks about changing our cravings from food to God. She supports her thoughts with Scripture. I enjoyed this read and I will probably purchase the book at some point!

This book is from my personal collection.
Barbara
Jun 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a very short e-book, and I enjoyed it very much. It focused on why God gives us cravings and how to use your relationship with him to help you through times when you crave food. It is meant to be read as a 21-day devotional, but I read it through in one sitting because I found it so helpful. I will probably read it again, slowly, to benefit even more.
Alayna
May 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I started reading this book to Keep my mind off of smoking when I put them down cold turkey. Because of this book I was able to stay smoke free and it got me through the rough spots. This book is geared towards food, but could work for any addiction. It made me realize a lot of things! An AWESOME read!!!!
Ursula Shelton
Jan 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful book for anyone who has an issue with food or other things that take hold of your life. I'm a foodie, so I was totally able to relate to what the author was saying. I definitely need to crave the word of God, a more intense prayer life, etc. This books gives positive reinforcement to why you shouldn't give way to your physical cravings. I would highly recommend it.
Karla
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent book of 21 conversationally-written devotionals with corresponding Bible passages to accompany the book, Made to Crave. These can be applied not just to craving food (overeating) but to many aspects of life.
Becca
Feb 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: faith, read-in-japan
At first I kind-of thought she was mis-applying scripture. But I realized most of the passages she used could be applied to most of the struggles in our lives and for plenty of us, turning to food rather than God is a struggle.
Lillie
A short devotional with readings from a longer book, Made to Crave. The short devotions were good, but I think I need the longer book to really benefit. The thesis is that those of us who overeat and crave food are misdirecting our craving for God into a craving for food.
Kristy
Apr 11, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: nonfiction
Blah. I wasn't fond of it at all. I'm sorry, but eating healthy and forming better habits for yourself doesn't equal being closer to God. Yes, of course God's strength is needed in any good dieting plan, but I don't think we can say: eat better to strengthen your Christian walk.
Leanne
Sep 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-read
A wonderful book showing how we are made to crave something and if not God, then our cravings move to money, success, food, recognition, etc. Her thoughts are concise and Biblical references are referred to throughout.
May 05, 2011 rated it liked it
for me, it's actually a two and a half stars, but this shorter version is decent enough to recommend,so I bumped rating up to three stars. it's kind of a diet journal with nice religious verses. my personal rating is kind of blah with neat verses.
Ashley
Jan 07, 2016 marked it as to-read
#
NC
Own on Nook.

FS: "Thought for the day: Eating in its proper context is not the problem."

LS: "And better yet, we position our own hearts to enjoy closeness and fulfillment with God for eternity!"
Deb
Jun 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Deb by: No one
Very helpful and puts eating into perspective in relation to our relationship with Christ.
Keysha
Apr 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!! New outlook to look at Dieting... Crave God instead of Food! Very helpful!
Marisue
Mar 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
great devotional just wish it was longer than 21 days, great thoughts.
Cherie
Jan 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Following this devotional through YouVersion which has many other devotionals and bible reading plans.
Krystina Koepke
Oct 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really good devotional. I enjoyed it a lot.
Mandee Mcdonald
Jun 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such an encouraging read!
  • Powerful Prayers for Troubled Times
  • The One Year Devotions for Couples: 365 Inspirational Readings
  • Do You See What I See?: Exploring the Christmas of Every Day
  • The 7-Day Doubt Diet
  • Invitation to the Jesus Life: Experiments in Christlikeness
  • Coffee Shop Conversations: Making the Most of Spiritual Small Talk
  • God's Story, Your Story: When His Becomes Yours (The Story)
  • That Is SO Me: 365 Days of Devotions: Flip-Flops, Faith, and Friends
  • Closer: Devotions to Draw Couples Together
  • NIV Once-A-Day 31 Days of Wisdom
  • The Promise: How God Works All Things Together for Good
  • Leadership Prayers
  • Listening to God (Life Principles Study Series)
  • 50 Days of Heaven: Reflections That Bring Eternity to Light
  • The Message Proverbs
  • Your Secret Name: Discovering Who God Created You to Be
  • Deeper into the Word: Reflections on 100 Words From the New Testament
  • Spiritual Rhythm: Being with Jesus Every Season of Your Soul
Lysa TerKeurst is a New York Times bestselling author of 18 books including The Best Yes, Unglued, and Made to Crave.

As president of Proverbs 31 Ministries, Lysa and her team connect with millions of women a day and can help equip you to:
• Make the Bible come alive whenever you read it.
• Discover how to develop inner peace and security in any situation.
• Replace doubt, regret and envy with truth,
More about Lysa TerKeurst...
“Addressing our thinking is one of the most crucial steps toward permanent progress in any area and stopping the cycle of shame and defeat.” 0 likes
“God seems far away and French fries are right around the corner at the drive-thru.” 0 likes