Start by marking “The Richest Man in Babylon” as Want to Read:
The Richest Man in Babylon

The Richest Man in Babylon

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  99,772 ratings  ·  5,382 reviews
Beloved by millions, this timeless classic holds the key to all you desire and everything you wish to accomplish. This is the book that reveals the secret to personal wealth.

The Success Secrets of the Ancients—
An Assured Road to Happiness and Prosperity

Countless readers have been helped by the famous “Babylonian parables,” hailed as the greatest of all inspirational work
Published February 1st 2008 by Berkley Books (first published 1926)

·  99,772 ratings  ·  5,382 reviews

Start your review of The Richest Man in Babylon
William Beesley
Nov 05, 2008 rated it it was ok
Books like Richest Man in Babylon, Rich Dad Poor Dad, the Millionaire next door will never go away unfortunately. There is too much money to be made in writing them. Richest Man in Babylon combines a simple premise with a mysterious title to drag the reader through 150 pages of drudgery that could be summed up in a couple of sentences:

1. Save 10% of everything you make.
2. Be smart not dumb
3. Invest the money you save.

Despite George Clason's (the author) best, somewhat self serving, intentions
Jake
Nov 28, 2008 rated it liked it
Redundant? Yes. Simplistic? Yes. Necessary? Absolutely. Reading the book changes one's perspective on personal finances.
Madeline Friedman
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
Nobody gets rich without working and we know that we should work hard. But what does hard work mean? This book answers it well. I bought this bestseller @50% off here: https://www.amazon.com/Richest-Man-Ba... ...more
Cristina Monica
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was an unusual but engaging multi-layered tale about finance, business and human accomplishments that, I admit, could have been less simplistic but that was smart enough to make me think about my own financial situation and offered advice worth considering.
Tamsyn
Jul 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, finances
This book was absolutely fantastic! It really opened my eyes to finances and has changed the way I view them. One of the biggest things this book teaches is that no matter what size your income is, 10% of it is yours to keep. Another is that debt is an enemy to conquer, not a necessary evil. One of the families in the story did this, and had to pay rent on top of it. We have long realized that renting and paying interest on a mortgage is about the same. Michael and I came up with a spending plan ...more
Michael Atkinson
Nov 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Read it 4 years ago, LOVED it, I should read it again. Fun to read, interesting, though provoking and but mostly just plain inspiring. If you don't have problems with spending too much money no need to read it. If you have tons of money and it's not a problem no need to read it. If you live on a budget like most of it, enjoy. Deserving of its well-regarded status of one of the classics of personal finance.
Ryan Wamsat
Aug 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My brother passed me this book many years ago. His instructions were simple: Read it. It'll change your life.

I read it. Did it change my life? Yes, in a manner of speaking.
There are many of out there who desperately want to learn the basics of handling money. But, pick up the latest drudgery from your local bookstore on the subject, and you'll find yourself wading through terms and calculations that may as well be a foreign language.

The Richest Man in Babylon takes a different approach. It puts
Aakanksha
Babylon is a lost city with a rich heritage. They only have two natural resources - fertile soil and water in the river. All the other things were man-made. While the rest of the world just learning to survive, they built a magnificent wall to defend them. They were considered as the first engineers, mathematicians, financers, and the first people to have a written language. They were way ahead of their time and enlightened.

The book starts with a parable where Bansir wants to become wealthy and
Shannon
This is a great starting item for someone who is pressed for time and doesn't want to read a ton of financial books. While some of the ideas are archaically written, they remain timeless. An obvious one: as a person's wealth rises, so do their expenses.

Translation, if you want to have money, learn to discipline yourself now and not later. Studies show that most lottery winners are bankrupt within a few years and mostly because they lacked self discipline. Therefore, the problem is not the lack o
Constantine

Rating: 3.0/5.0

Genre:
Nonfiction + Business

I picked up this one because I heard many good things about it. I might be a bit late because I feel the majority of the points and lessons discussed by this book are very familiar to me. I found it very interesting to see this book reads more like a fiction. I feel this is good for someone who wants to read and know about all the basics in finance and economics in a simple easy way. One of the main tips that the author insisted on is saving 10% of what
Anthony Fox
May 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
"...I made a million,today. What did you do?..."

A book review of “The Richest Man in Babylon” by George S. Clason

Have you heard about The Richest Man in Babylon, by George S. Clason first published in 1926, it’s a story that maybe you should read? When I first read this story I was just a young boy, but it still fascinates me now.

My grandfather had given a copy to me to read, and after I finished reading it, I can remember him asking me what I had learnt. I can also remember what I said in repl
Claudia
Jan 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Claudia by: Robin Chinchilla
Shelves: self-help
Sonja Arlow
Mar 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have always found books on personal finance exceptionally boring and have avoided reading them because of this.

This book however takes the form of stories from Babylonian citizens each touching on an aspect of personal finance (save 10% of your earnings, don’t rent but rather own property and invest your money wisely so it may grow etc etc)

None of this is new to me however sometimes you need a reminder to jolt you out of bad financial habits.
I can highly recommend this and will be buying it a
Michelle
Dec 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Patrick Peterson
25 Sept. 2019 - Finally read this little classic. It had been on my "To Read" shelf for over 30 years, but a combination of factors finally got me to read it. Very glad I did. What a great little gem. So many people over the years had referred me to this, that I am embarrassed to say it took me so long to get to. However, fortunately, I had read other books and taken other wise soul's advice that covered much of this book's wisdom previously, that I was not unduly harmed by putting it off.

Howeve
Bam cooks the books ;-)
#book-vipers-book-hunter: MAN

George S. Clason published a series of pamphlets beginning in 1926 with financial advice couched in Babylonian parables, which were later combined in book form and given the title, The Richest Man in Babylon. Very basic advice and somewhat dated and repetitious, but I can't help thinking that these 'rules' he put forth should be taught in schools as good advice for beginner's handling money.

Our financial advisor gave us two copies of this slim book for our daughters
Aronkai
Apr 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
Clason’s (22-42) "Seven Cures for a Lean Purse" chapter gives you a good overview of the book. The seven principles mentioned are the following:
1. Start thy purse to fattening
2. Control thy expenditures
3. Make thy gold multiply
4. Guard thy treasures from loss
5. Make of thy dwelling a profitable investment
6. Insure a future income
7. Increase thy ability to earn

Average American spends $ 1.22 for every dollar they make (Parker). For all the indebted people Clason (108) writes that you should save
Chad Warner
May 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Chad by: Open for Business podcast
Shelves: finance, self-help
This book teaches timeless financial wisdom in the form of fictitious parables set in ancient Babylon. I found the stories entertaining and the financial lessons as valid today as they were in Babylon millennia ago.

There’s nothing groundbreaking here, but that doesn’t lessen the value of the simple financial basics: pay yourself first (at least 10%), live on less than you earn, get advice from financially competent people, and put your money to work through cautious investing.

The book recommends
Leona  Petrovic
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The edition I read was a little shorter than most. This is what my teacher had to say about the missing sections.

"This edition skips the following sections in other editions: (1) An Historical Sketch of Babylon; The Man Who Desired Gold; and The Walls of Babylon. The first conveys nothing of importance about investing. It is amateur history. The second merely sets the fictional story of the main character. The third is a disguised promotion of "whole life" life insurance policies, which I do no
RC1140
Apr 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
Meh , that is the best way to describe this book. This may be due to the fact that everything that was disucssed is fairly common knowledge and most people practice these concepts or know to practice these concepts. They may not have been common at the time, but doent explain how this book has such a high rating. The concepts being wrapped in a 'theme' of sorts just made it harder to follow along at times since the style or writing is quite old. The age of this book shows it self even more by th ...more
Jeffrey
Mar 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: business
OK, I didn't even finish the book because I've heard it all before. Besides, here it's told in a story which is nice if you need to know about how to acquire money, keep it, and make your money earn more money, especially if this is your first book on the topic, find the topic boring, and need a story to entertain to get it across. This is just one of thousands of books that speaks on this material. I found it rather repetitive and corny in its story form. Other books you might be interested in ...more
Gabriela
Jul 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It teaches the values of saving, overcoming poor habits such as procrastination & being able to take advantage of opportunities

The Richest Man In Babylon by George Clason was originally written in 1926. Through the narratives of Bansir, and his broke musician friend, we can see the standard folk who try to figure out how to get out of debt, the salary slavery and to finally attain wealth. Clason also uses the narrative of the richest man in Babylon Arkad who was initially poor but later learnt h
Amir Tesla
Sep 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wealth, favorites
A very sound book leaving you with a feeling that resembles having a genuine touch on the ancient wisdom.

There are several principles being suggested on the book regarding a wealthy path wrapped in story telling of wise men of that time.

Another interesting thing for me as someone who's native tongue is not english was an old form of the English that was being used long long ago.

I really enjoyed the book and would recommend to anyone who is determined to form her/his thoughts around shooting for
Begüm Saçak
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great, brief book on how to manage personal finances and lead a financially stable life. The story of Babylonians and how they managed to master their financial skills make this book relevant to today's world. The recommendations are given in such a way that anyone from any financial background can apply them easily. Useful book! I wish I had read it when I was younger.
Izwan Zakaria
Jul 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finance
This tiny book is a classic. It is a classic because it tells you a classic story about the most important thing anybody should know about finance ie The Golden Rule of Saving.

The language is biblical yet so easy to understand. Excellent read.
Mariam
A great little book I've read umpteen times. It reads beautifully and is packed with wisdom, truth, great knowledge, and profound insights.
Arash Narchi
Oct 27, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2015, classics
Horribly written and hard to follow. Maybe would have been a good read in 1927.
Parth Agrawal
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
"If determination is there, ways can be found"

This classic poetic map, helping us to discover and reap the treasure of finances, teaches through tales one can only imagine to be too idealistic to be true at the face of it. Cardinal rules, conjured even before the birth of Christ, will take you through the world of trade, money and gold in ever so entertaining ways beyond one's wildest imaginations.

The rules have stood the test of time as it has been documented at the end of the book that how the
Travis
Apr 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finance
Written in 1926 yet still very relevant today. Provides good life lesson .
André
Mar 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
"And when youth comes to age for advice he receives the wisdom of years. But too often does youth think that age knows only the wisdom of days that are gone, and therefore profits not. But remember this, the sun that shines today is the sun that shone when thy father was born, and will still be shining when thy last grandchild shall pass into the darkness."
There are unconditional and eternal certainties that pass throughout the centuries. There are valuable lessons that pass from generation to g
Whatsapp Group 3 30 Dec 26, 2019 01:17AM

• The 4-Hour Workweek
  • The Greatest Salesman in the World
  • As a Man Thinketh
  • Zero to One: Notes on Startups, or How to Build the Future
George Samuel Clason, also known as George S. Clason. George Samuel Clason was born in Louisiana, Missouri, and died in Napa, California.

During his eighty two years he was a soldier, businessman and writer. He served in the United States Army during the Spanish-American War.

Clason started two companies, the Clason Map Company of Denver Colorado and the Clason Publishing Company. The Clason Map Com