Start by marking “The Richest Man in Babylon” as Want to Read:
The Richest Man in Babylon

The Richest Man in Babylon

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  157,860 ratings  ·  8,707 reviews
Beloved by millions, this timeless classic holds the key to all you desire and everything you wish to accomplish. This is the book that reveals the secret to personal wealth.

The Success Secrets of the Ancients—
An Assured Road to Happiness and Prosperity

Countless readers have been helped by the famous “Babylonian parables,” hailed as the greatest of all inspirational work
Published February 1st 2008 by Berkley Books (first published 1926)

To ask other readers questions about The Richest Man in Babylon, please sign up.
J I think I read this in a few hours but don't let that or the title fool you, the ideas can surely be life changing for one who rarely thinks about wea…moreI think I read this in a few hours but don't let that or the title fool you, the ideas can surely be life changing for one who rarely thinks about wealth other than dreams of grandeur(less)

·  157,860 ratings  ·  8,707 reviews

Start your review of The Richest Man in Babylon
William Beesley
Nov 05, 2008 rated it it was ok
Books like Richest Man in Babylon, Rich Dad Poor Dad, the Millionaire next door will never go away unfortunately. There is too much money to be made in writing them. Richest Man in Babylon combines a simple premise with a mysterious title to drag the reader through 150 pages of drudgery that could be summed up in a couple of sentences:

1. Save 10% of everything you make.
2. Be smart not dumb
3. Invest the money you save.

Despite George Clason's (the author) best, somewhat self serving, intentions
Jake
Nov 28, 2008 rated it liked it
Redundant? Yes. Simplistic? Yes. Necessary? Absolutely. Reading the book changes one's perspective on personal finances. ...more
Tharindu Dissanayake
"Wealth that comes quickly goeth the same way."

The Richest Man in Babylon is one of those books that has been on my TBR forever. The only reason I finally picked this up was to catchup with my non-fiction reading goals. Turns out, this is actually a fantastic read!

"No man's family can fully enjoy life unless they do have a plot of ground wherein children can play in the clean earth."

The Riches Man in Babylon is of those books like Alchemist: A simple story is being narrated with the aim
Madeline Friedman
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
Nobody gets rich without working and we know that we should work hard. But what does hard work mean? This book answers it well. I bought this bestseller @50% off here: https://www.amazon.com/Richest-Man-Ba... ...more
Tamsyn
Jul 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, finances
This book was absolutely fantastic! It really opened my eyes to finances and has changed the way I view them. One of the biggest things this book teaches is that no matter what size your income is, 10% of it is yours to keep. Another is that debt is an enemy to conquer, not a necessary evil. One of the families in the story did this, and had to pay rent on top of it. We have long realized that renting and paying interest on a mortgage is about the same. Michael and I came up with a spending plan ...more
Ryan Wamsat
Aug 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My brother passed me this book many years ago. His instructions were simple: Read it. It'll change your life.

I read it. Did it change my life? Yes, in a manner of speaking.
There are many of out there who desperately want to learn the basics of handling money. But, pick up the latest drudgery from your local bookstore on the subject, and you'll find yourself wading through terms and calculations that may as well be a foreign language.

The Richest Man in Babylon takes a different approach. It puts
Michael Atkinson
Nov 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Read it 4 years ago, LOVED it, I should read it again. Fun to read, interesting, though provoking and but mostly just plain inspiring. If you don't have problems with spending too much money no need to read it. If you have tons of money and it's not a problem no need to read it. If you live on a budget like most of it, enjoy. Deserving of its well-regarded status of one of the classics of personal finance. ...more
Aakanksha
The central aim of the story is to save 10% of your saving for investments. Do not invest without prior knowledge, seek advice from those who are in those fields. This book does not just show the way to clear all your debts, but also how you manage your finances, so you don't need any further loans. George S. Clason mentioned the importance of gold and how a person can prosper, including a slave.

All we know is wealth that comes quickly goes the same way, so it is vital to make priorities. Being
Shannon
This is a great starting item for someone who is pressed for time and doesn't want to read a ton of financial books. While some of the ideas are archaically written, they remain timeless. An obvious one: as a person's wealth rises, so do their expenses.

Translation, if you want to have money, learn to discipline yourself now and not later. Studies show that most lottery winners are bankrupt within a few years and mostly because they lacked self discipline. Therefore, the problem is not the lack o
Constantine

Rating: 3.0/5.0

Genre:
Nonfiction + Business

I picked up this one because I heard many good things about it. I might be a bit late because I feel the majority of the points and lessons discussed in this book are very familiar to me. I found it very interesting to see this book reads more like fiction. I feel this is good for someone who wants to read and know about all the basics in finance and economics in a simple easy way. One of the main tips that the author insisted on is saving 10% of whatev
Sonja Arlow
Mar 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have always found books on personal finance exceptionally boring and have avoided reading them because of this.

This book however takes the form of stories from Babylonian citizens each touching on an aspect of personal finance (save 10% of your earnings, don’t rent but rather own property and invest your money wisely so it may grow etc etc)

None of this is new to me however sometimes you need a reminder to jolt you out of bad financial habits.
I can highly recommend this and will be buying it a
Apoorva
"The Richest Man in Babylon" is one of the most interesting and valuable books on financial planning I came across. I'm on this journey to discover some good books on finances, and its definitely worth a read. This is coming from someone who has no idea on how to manage money, but the lessons mentioned in the book are great for people who don't know where to begin!

This book combines fine storytelling with sound financial advice, which is one of the most fascinating aspects of it. The book draws
Anthony Fox
May 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: delete
"...I made a million,today. What did you do?..."

A book review of “The Richest Man in Babylon” by George S. Clason

Have you heard about The Richest Man in Babylon, by George S. Clason first published in 1926, it’s a story that maybe you should read? When I first read this story I was just a young boy, but it still fascinates me now.

My grandfather had given a copy to me to read, and after I finished reading it, I can remember him asking me what I had learnt. I can also remember what I said in repl
Patrick Peterson
25 Sept. 2019 - Finally read this little classic. It had been on my "To Read" shelf for over 30 years, but a combination of factors finally got me to read it. Very glad I did. What a great little gem. So many people over the years had referred me to this, that I am embarrassed to say it took me so long to get to. However, fortunately, I had read other books and taken other wise soul's advice that covered much of this book's wisdom previously, that I was not unduly harmed by putting it off.

Howeve
C
May 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to C by: Open for Business podcast
Shelves: finance
This book teaches timeless financial wisdom in the form of fictitious parables set in ancient Babylon. I found the stories entertaining and the financial lessons as valid today as they were in Babylon millennia ago.

There’s nothing groundbreaking here, but that doesn’t lessen the value of the simple financial basics: pay yourself first (at least 10%), live on less than you earn, get advice from financially competent people, and put your money to work through cautious investing.

The book recommends
Elliot Brent
Feb 06, 2022 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent read. I see why this book is a classic. While purchasing this book, the cashier shared that this book is a top one for financial gurus.

It is an easy read, informational, and appealing. I like history and learning in general, so this literature caressed my interests. The content of this book is delivered through dialogue between characters and parables. Many life lessons concerning money management and philosophies concerning wealth, its apprehension, and attitudes towards it
Reading_ Tamishly
Feb 09, 2022 rated it it was amazing
I didn't think I would love this book this much! Time to apply it. And keep learning. And keep rereading the book and apply the basic lessons as much as I can. They are reasonable. They are practical. As long as you understand the language and the way it is written, this book will do everyone good.

This book surprised me.
At first I thought it would be a book that would take time for me to understand it’s contents.
But how wrong was I?!

Absolutely entertaining and almost like a folk tale, this book
Claudia
Apr 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
Arash Narchi
Oct 27, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: classics, 2015
Horribly written and hard to follow. Maybe would have been a good read in 1927.
Michelle
Dec 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Bam cooks the books ;-)
#book-vipers-book-hunter: MAN

George S. Clason published a series of pamphlets beginning in 1926 with financial advice couched in Babylonian parables, which were later combined in book form and given the title, The Richest Man in Babylon. Very basic advice and somewhat dated and repetitious, but I can't help thinking that these 'rules' he put forth should be taught in schools as good advice for beginner's handling money.

Our financial advisor gave us two copies of this slim book for our daughters
Anbukarasan
Jul 31, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wisdom for wealth

Simple and well known wisdom, narrated in the best manner.
Liked the delivery style and arrangement of ideas.
This book has been written in the early 19th century. So the options said can be related to that age.
Prithviraj
Aug 29, 2021 rated it did not like it
What in the name of crap was that?!

Why does this book have such a high rating on Goodreads? How can a person who's read literally any other book, fiction or otherwise---even a school textbook, really---want to give it a rating any higher than 1?

It has such basic financial advice. Here, let me save you the trouble of reading this book:
1. Control your unnecessary desires
2. Save a portion of your income
3. Protect it from bad investments
4. Invest your money wisely
5. Let your money multiply
6. Don't b
Aronkai
Apr 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
Clason’s (22-42) "Seven Cures for a Lean Purse" chapter gives you a good overview of the book. The seven principles mentioned are the following:
1. Start thy purse to fattening
2. Control thy expenditures
3. Make thy gold multiply
4. Guard thy treasures from loss
5. Make of thy dwelling a profitable investment
6. Insure a future income
7. Increase thy ability to earn

Average American spends $ 1.22 for every dollar they make (Parker). For all the indebted people Clason (108) writes that you should save
Amir Tesla
Sep 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wealth, favorites
A very sound book leaving you with a feeling that resembles having a genuine touch on the ancient wisdom.

There are several principles being suggested on the book regarding a wealthy path wrapped in story telling of wise men of that time.

Another interesting thing for me as someone who's native tongue is not english was an old form of the English that was being used long long ago.

I really enjoyed the book and would recommend to anyone who is determined to form her/his thoughts around shooting for
John Anthony
Jan 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A delightful and very practical read. How to prosper in the world. The simple advice remains as true for 2021 here in the west as it did for Babylon many years prior to Christ. It is given in a series of tales set in and around ancient Babylon. A joy to read.
7jane
Apr 08, 2021 rated it really liked it
3,5 stars. (I got the Finnish translation of this book because it had the best, Babylonian city cover illustration.)
This is a book of Babylonian themed stories originally available in leaflets, in banks and insurance companies of the 1920s, written by a businessman and author, living in Denver, Colorado (he was among those who suffered later in 1929). They were written as a guidance on saving, getting out of debt, and increasing wealth and property. The title story seems to have been the most po
Izwan Zakaria
Jul 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finance
This tiny book is a classic. It is a classic because it tells you a classic story about the most important thing anybody should know about finance ie The Golden Rule of Saving.

The language is biblical yet so easy to understand. Excellent read.
Jeffrey
Mar 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: business
OK, I didn't even finish the book because I've heard it all before. Besides, here it's told in a story which is nice if you need to know about how to acquire money, keep it, and make your money earn more money, especially if this is your first book on the topic, find the topic boring, and need a story to entertain to get it across. This is just one of thousands of books that speaks on this material. I found it rather repetitive and corny in its story form. Other books you might be interested in ...more
Goodreads Librari...: Please add number of pages 2 11 Aug 29, 2020 07:32AM

• Rich Dad's Cashflow Quadrant: Rich Dad's Guide to Financial Freedom
  • The One Minute Manager
  • The Art of War
  • The Magic of Thinking Big
  • The Secret (The Secret, #1)
  • Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones
See top shelves…
George Samuel Clason, also known as George S. Clason. George Samuel Clason was born in Louisiana, Missouri, and died in Napa, California.

During his eighty two years he was a soldier, businessman and writer. He served in the United States Army during the Spanish-American War.

Clason started two companies, the Clason Map Company of Denver Colorado and the Clason Publishing Company. The Clason Map Com