Start by marking “Yoga for Pain Relief: Simple Practices to Calm Your Mind and Heal Your Chronic Pain” as Want to Read:

In Yoga for Pain Relief, Stanford psychology instructor and prominent yoga teacher Kelly McGonigal shows readers how the wisdom of yoga and the latest skills drawn from mind-body research can end the physical and emotional suffering of chronic pain.
Published December 2nd 2009 by New Harbinger Publications (first published 2009)

Elizabeth Pyjov
Kelly McGonigal is a GENIUS ! I love this book, and look forward to her new book on Willpower. The poses are simple and helpful not only do relieve pain, but just to feel happy, relieved, radiant and stress-free. A book whose philosophy and movements I would recommend to all.

''According to the yoga tradition, the human system is not just body and mind but is also breath, wisdom, and joy. Breath is the life force that animates you; wisdom is your inner guide; joy is your connection to something b
Yuliya Yurchuk
Jun 18, 2017 Yuliya Yurchuk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Головне, що я можу сказати про цю книжку - вона працює! І це все, що про неї варто знати.
Howard
Breathe. relax. Meditate. Stretch. Feel better?
Andrea Hickman Walker
This is a fantastic book. If you suffer from chronic pain and enjoy yoga you should read it. Probably, you should read it even if you don't enjoy yoga. I don't really have much else to say...

I will say, though, that it's harder than it seems to put the information into practice. I'm pretty good about doing my yoga, but when I'm sore I tend to skip classes and I don't really want to do yoga. I'd certainly be more inclined to do yoga at home than in a class at those times. The hard part is getting
Yuri Aoi
May 31, 2013 Yuri Aoi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sara Murphy
It would be helpful for anyone suffering from chronic pain and cannot do some of the more complex poses of yoga. Focusing specifically on poses that promote healing, relaxation and pain alleviation. Yoga silences the mind, which has the power to make a person ill, as well as containing the capacity for healing (Mind over Matter). There is a sure science to yoga and it has been practiced for thousands of years and should be utilized by those who cannot do other types of excersize. I found this he ...more
Kristi
Jun 28, 2011 Kristi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a bit dubious that I would find a yoga book focussed on general chronic pain as helpful as one targeting my specific area of trouble. Boy, was I wrong and am I glad I was proven so.

This is the best book on yoga as a means of living more fully with chronic pain I've read so far. There is a great balance of helpful information and citing of scientific studies if one wants to delve deeper. I found the personal stories of real people encouraging. I really appreciated the chapter of developing
Starfoxie
Sep 18, 2012 Starfoxie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: path-to-healing
I have to say that before I read this book, I never tried yoga before. I have arthritis in my spine which causes discomfort and didn't want to do a lot of weird poses. But it's not like that. This book is straightforward, filled with pictures, and eases even a beginner to yoga. It's categorized by different conditions so you can find which movements are best for you. It also has meditative practices to clear your mind.
Chris
Apr 04, 2014 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fitness-diet
I loved the flow of this book along with the exercises and positions with explanations and resources at the end of the book. Would recommend to everyone with any pain issues, whether arthritis, back, knee or inflexiblity. I also like the fact she concentrated on the breathing and the why and how of why you should use the positions and wasn't preachy.
Gloria
Oct 18, 2010 Gloria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book worth purchasing if you are interested in chronic pain or discomfort issues. The text is thorough and yet easy enough to read in explaining typical situations where people experience pain. The exercises are shown in two formats: deeper stretches and then those for people who have limited mobility. Author is a university professor.
Heather
Feb 04, 2010 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health, 2010, wish-list
I realized today that I have checked this book out 6 times in less than 4 months. I need to buy it! I love how every time I read it I get something new out of it. It's a great introduction to breathing, meditation & yoga. The author shows how stress, whether from an illness or emotions, affects our entire system and provides tools to help get on the path of stress/pain reduction.
ksj
Apr 21, 2010 ksj rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Really clear explanation of basic yoga philosophy. Fascinating information on the body's pain response. Excellent examples of yoga practices and meditations. This book is both insightful and practical. It offers the tools to start a thriving home practice for yourself.
Betsy
Jun 05, 2015 Betsy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an amazing book. I love how it aligns neuro-psychological studies with yogic teachings.
It's written for many abilities, showing how to do practices seating on the floor, on a chair, or in bed. I think anyone, even people without chronic pain, would find something helpful in this book.

Wilderness
Jul 21, 2012 Wilderness rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A reallllly well done book for anyone who suffers from chronic pain. Includes several series of poses that most any one can do and has a lot of great literature about how to learn to trust and love your body again.
Jenny
Aug 10, 2013 Jenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book for beginners to yoga. This is very gentle yoga and particularly addresses pain issues, with meditations and poses to get people started. Great book!
Angel
Jun 14, 2015 Angel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good

It's was a good reminder to take my own pace and listen to my body's pain rather than just deal with it.
Doris Clancy
Sep 07, 2010 Doris Clancy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great tool as I developed a yoga class for pain relief. The author was very generous in giving her permission for me to copy and distribute several pages of this book for a workshop at the VA.
Whitney
Feb 06, 2013 Whitney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
by my own yoga mentor, who is amazing
Heather Sprouse
Apr 29, 2015 Heather Sprouse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic, easy to use guide for how to incorporate therapeutic yoga into one's life. It's helped me understand and manage my anxiety more effectively.
Elisabeth
I actually hoped this book would focus more on the mind. I did learn a lot about Pratipaksha bhavana, which is very helpful when dealing with negative thoughts. It's a nice book for starters.
Yvonne Ramirez
Jun 17, 2011 Yvonne Ramirez marked it as to-read
Looking forward to "pain relief"
Fernanda Chica
Fernanda Chica rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2013
Teresa
Teresa rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2017
Jackleen
Jackleen rated it really liked it
May 31, 2015
Helen Ni
Helen Ni rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2016
Beth
Beth rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2017
Kate Karl
Kate Karl rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2014
Dedra
Dedra rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2014
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2013
Sharin
Sharin rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • 30 Essential Yoga Poses: For Beginning Students and Their Teachers
  • Yoga for Transformation: Ancient Teachings and Practices for Healing the Body, Mind,and Heart (Compass)
  • Back Care Basics: A Doctor's Gentle Yoga Program for Back and Neck Pain Relief
  • Chronic Resilience: 10 Sanity-Saving Strategies for Women Coping with the Stress of Illness
  • Shakti Mantras: Tapping into the Great Goddess Energy Within
  • Yoga as Medicine: The Yogic Prescription for Health and Healing
  • Bringing Yoga to Life: The Everyday Practice of Enlightened Living
  • Fire in the Heart: A Spiritual Guide for Teens
  • All in My Head: An Epic Quest to Cure an Unrelenting, Totally Unreasonable, and Only Slightly Enlightening Headache
  • Anatomy for Vinyasa Flow and Standing Poses
  • Sit With Less Pain: Gentle Yoga for Meditators and Everyone Else
  • Hatha Yoga Illustrated: For Greater Strength, Flexibility, and Focus
  • Krav Maga for Beginners: A Step-by-Step Guide to the World's Easiest-to-Learn, Most-Effective Fitness and Fighting Program
  • Living Yoga: Creating a Life Practice
  • Santeria: African Spirits in America
  • The Belly Fat Cure Fast Track: Discover the Ultimate Carb Swap and Drop Up to 14 lbs. the First 14 Days
  • Yin Yoga: Outline of a Quiet Practice
  • How to Be Sick: A Buddhist-Inspired Guide for the Chronically Ill and Their Caregivers
Kelly McGonigal, PhD, is a health psychologist and lecturer at Stanford University, an award-winning science journalist, and a leading expert on the mind-body relationship. Her teaching and writing focus on the applications of psychological science to personal health and happiness, as well as public policy and social change.

She is the author of The Upside of Stress (Penguin Random House/Avery 201
More about Kelly McGonigal...