Start by marking “Differentiate or Die: Survival in Our Era of Killer Competition” as Want to Read:
Differentiate or Die: Survival in Our Era of Killer Competition

Differentiate or Die: Survival in Our Era of Killer Competition

«,Diferenciación», se ha convertido en una palabra clave del mundo de los negocios gracias, en gran parte, a la primera versión de Diferenciarse o Morir. La obra fue seleccionada por los editores de Soundview Executive Book Summaries como uno de los doce mejores libros de management «,de todos los tiempos&raq ...more
Published October 1st 2001 by John Wiley & Sons

To ask other readers questions about Differentiate or Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Differentiate or Die

Start your review of Differentiate or Die: Survival in Our Era of Killer Competition
Shita Dewi
Nov 26, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Marketers
I read this book almost 6 years ago yet I think this is one of good books that every marketer should read,..

Differentiation is the key element to long-term success and profits; furthermore, it is an essential area of discussion in any corporate strategy discussions and is frankly the biggest and most important thing that I learned while getting my MM a few years ago (still, in progress of finishing it,..heuheu)

Differentiate or Die by Jack Trout and Steve Rivkin is an excellent read for those lea
Pradit Pinyopasakul
Sep 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read this book since 9 years ago. Even today, the concept from this book is still valid and applicable to current business environment. It offers how a business can be unique in its field. As we cannot be everything to everyone, a business has to make a choice of its brand identity and must focus. It shows that even commodities can be differentiated and that product differentiation is not impossible, but difficult, and that "Economy of Speed" is important. The book emphasizes that we do not ne ...more
Bohdan Kit
Mar 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Several good ideas, several bad ones that were turned so by technology. Good if you want to return to basics, a bad one if you're looking for a to-do list.

Richa  Seth
Oct 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After having read ‘Positioning’ by Al Ries and Trout, I was intrigued to read ‘Differentiate or Die’ by Jack Trout especially because of its title. The key message Trout is trying convey is that all enterprises have their unique selling propositions (USP); all they need to do is package, position and communicate it to their target audience. He has analyzed many successful differentiation initiatives from giants like Dell, Southwest Airlines, and Wal-Mart to smaller success stories like eToys Inc ...more
Yevgeniy Brikman
Aug 24, 2019 rated it liked it
The core message of this book, which is outlined in the first chapter, is a good one: in the modern world, we are overloaded with choices and companies competing for our attention, so to be successful, you must somehow stand out and be different.

However, after that, the book seems to meander in random directions, without any clear structure. Moreover, the advice isn't particularly actionable. There are lots of examples of differentiators that do and don't work, but also many counter-examples wh
Alejandra
It seemed like it would help both of my businesses. As with all marketing, branding and positioning type books, there are a lot of case studies and "I told you so"s.
But on the same note, I love these writing stories because they contain a lot of lessons learned and useful examples of directions companies have taken. This is the type of book that doesn't pretend to know your business' unique problems, or try suggest any surefire solutions that work in every scenario. It's a wealth of information
Shrutin
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must-read for anyone who takes their business seriously.
Filled with industry examples.
Some might argue that some companies showcased as differentiators haven't subsequently fared well. This however, does not reflect the solid, and logic-backed learning in the book, but rather that those companies, after a point, forgot the learning and drifted from their core purpose.
Edith Yeghiazaryan
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: digital-business
The book demonstrates the importance of differentiation nowadays and shows various ways to differentiate a brand in the marketplace. It claims that if the brand is not the first mover, it can still win by distinguishing itself from the competitors.
Derek Neighbors
May 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
Jack is the king of positioning, but this book was pretty stale. Seemed like a rehash of his other works. Only not as good. I recommend Positioning instead.
Mike Alcazaren
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not super impressed with this. Many examples are dated at this point in time. The title does some up the book nicely, but that's pretty much all you need to read to understand the point of this book.
Muhemed Masika
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You are a doll I am a reader
How can I kill you in a era of survival
We're both read
Inside dark
We all come out light
Some more than others
You exactly what i do
Except same sex
Chirag Joshi
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a bible for marketers
Nabo Preo
I wonder what Trout-san thinks of convergence and Nokia now.
Vismay
Aug 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
Life was getting pretty boring, as such. The pile-up of books to be read was getting pretty thin, it was time for me to cough up some good book from my father’s overhead storage. In that process, I came across a book ‘Differentiate or Die’ by Jack Trout (along with Steve Rivkin). After reading the book, I firmly believe that it is the Mecca of the modern advertising campaigns launched by varied products across the world- whether it is on T.V., magazine, newspaper or the internet.

For the survival
Alberto Lopez
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-favorites
A fantastic book on Marketing. The caveat is that many of the samples quoted reference events that, while recent, seem from a long time ago. But this just goes to corroborate the book's allegations that we live in a very dynamic environment. If you study or work within Marketing, then you must read it.
Niyomi Shah
Jul 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
My first pseudo marketing book read. And a really interesting one. This book offers brilliant examples on what works in creating a brand and the importance of it. Really good read.
Ashley
This book reminded me a lot of Selling the Invisible. It's an easy read, packed with lots of examples and information that sometimes seems counterintuitive. The point of the book, in simplest terms, is that although we may thing it's best to be all things to all people, it's actually best to pick one thing and do it well. Products and services should be marketed with one differentiating idea, which may mean sacrificing a share of the market.

My main critique of this book would be that for many of
Lionkhan-sama
I'm not saying this book is bad per se, it's just ridiculously repetitive. The author makes a lot of fair points about marketing though, and definitely puts forth enough examples and evidence to prove his opinions.

But the worst part is the fact that I listened to the audiobook of this book. The guy they have reading it is most probably the WORST possible person to read an audiobook to an audience, EVER. In fact, he was so bad, bland and effin boring it made me downright hate this book, although
Wm
The key point seems right on. And yet, if you have a CEO who would really get this, you're probably already doing this. If you have a marketing department who is capable of building marketing/advertising around differentiation (and reigning in the ad agency you are working with), then they're also probably already doing this.

Like other books of this type, part of the problem is that the stellar examples of the idea often fade or run in to serious trouble after the book is published. This doesn't
Vadassery Rakesh
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-challenge
Jack Trout always create that wow! If Marketing warfare set the agenda for corporate wars, 22 immutable laws of marketing acted like a guiding star to marketing wannabes. But this book seems to call a spade a spade when it comes to corporate strategy making. The concept of differentiation as described in this book is an eye opener for strategists.
A must read for those who are gunning for that corner office.
Jeff
Aug 28, 2010 rated it liked it
Pros: A great range of marketing case studies/snapshots of campaign overviews.

Cons: Case studies lack depth and Trout often attempts to focus on a singular element of a campaign to draw a conclusion.

A good high level read on differentiation. However, critical thinking required to question author's conclusions on successful/unsuccessful campaigns and why they were so...
Jim
Mar 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
I had been looking for a good marketing book to brush up on the latest and turned to Jack Trout (co-author of the industry standard Positioning: The Battle For Your Mind). This book has been thought-provoking and entertaining and I would recommend it to anyone who is working on marketing their company or an idea.
Joél Steinmann
Mar 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Marketeers, CEO, Sales Guys,
I think it is a great read. it helps a lot to look at a current positioning from a different perspective and find new ways of doing things. On the other hand I don't think only a clear differentiation will make out of a bad business a very successful one. My thinking behind this, are there other factors that come along with a differentiation that impacted the business way more substantially.
Daniel
Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
To be successful, you need to differentiate. I learn a lot about different forms of differentiation. Nowadays everything can seem very similar to consumers, so companies have to emphasize their unique strength and the emphasis must be made by the CEO. Interestingly one can differentiate oneself by saying one is the oldest, or youngest, and a very small area can be emphasized. A good book.
Ken
Jul 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Enlightening explanation for why certain companies succeed in marketing, branding, and business and why many others fail. The book will challenge your view of what sets companies apart and will challenge you to brand your business in a way that sets you apart from the dozens, if not hundreds, of others companies that seek to steal your business.
Lincoln
Good book, all businesses should look for brand "moats" that can last, not technological innovation, rather, we were first, we are the best, we are preferred regardless of what else is out there, a la Nike.
Alex
Jun 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
Things change very quickly in the competitive environment Jack Trout illustrates. Reading a novel about corporate business strategy 10 years after its publication is entertaining but difficult to learn from.
John Harris
Mar 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
It is somewhat outdated since many of the companies that they talk about from around the turn of the century are now doing very different things. But the principles are sound, and it is a great book for any marketer, business person, or anyone interested in succeeding in the market place.
David
Apr 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent treatise on how to make differntiation the cornerstone of your marketing. Very clear and concise and full of great examples. The back cover has testimonials from the likes of Dan Rather of CBS News to Scott McNealy of Sun Microsystems.
Bernard Bentley
Mar 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
A good book to help business owners and entrepreneurs understand that you don't always have to be the best in order to win, but you must be distinguished from the competition. This always gives you the extra edge needed to win.

• Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind: How to Be Seen and Heard in the Overcrowded Marketplace
  • Ogilvy on Advertising
  • Why We Buy: The Science of Shopping
  • Unleashing the Ideavirus: Stop Marketing AT People! Turn Your Ideas into Epidemics by Helping Your Customers Do the Marketing thing for You.
  • The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing: Violate Them at Your Own Risk
  • Focus: The Future of Your Company Depends on It
  • Eating the Big Fish: How Challenger Brands Can Compete Against Brand Leaders
  • Marketing Warfare
  • The 22 Immutable Laws of Branding: How to Build a Product or Service Into a World-Class Brand
  • Hành Trình Về Phương Đông
  • Blue Ocean Strategy: How to Create Uncontested Market Space and Make the Competition Irrelevant
  • A New Brand World: Eight Principles for Achieving Brand Leadership in the Twenty-First Century
  • Guerrilla Marketing: Easy and Inexpensive Strategies for Making Big Profits from Your Small Business
  • The Entrepreneur's Guide to Customer Development: A cheat sheet to The Four Steps to the Epiphany
  • Contagious: Why Things Catch On
  • The Experience Economy: Work Is Theater & Every Business a Stage
  • Reinventing Organizations: A Guide to Creating Organizations Inspired by the Next Stage of Human Consciousness
  • Lovemarks