Start by marking “Infinity Hold” as Want to Read:
Infinity Hold

Infinity Hold (Infinity Hold #1)

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  76 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Novel, first work of the Infinity Hold Trilogy. They named the planet Tartaros after the deepest of Hell's hells. This is the story of a man and murderer, Bando Nicos, who was condemned to Tartaros and became the planet's first police officer.
Published December 1st 2000 by Backinprint.com (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Infinity Hold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Infinity Hold

Roddy Williams
The premise is that sometime in the near future when Humanity has reached the stars, the solution to overcrowded prisons should be to take all the prisoners and dump them on an inhospitable world.
Longyear’s aim, presumably, was to examine how the prisoners might react, survive, organise etc. once the ship had abandoned them on the planet Tartarus.
The novel is narrated by petty criminal Bando Nicos, an intelligent but misguided man who is forced to reassess his past and the choices he made in lif
Melissa McCauley
Sep 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
In 2115 Bando Nicos is a twenty-seven year-old inmate of "The Crotch", the Union of Terran Republics' prison for incorrigibles in Greenville, Mississippi. Like many other prisons, The Crotch is shut down and the entire population deposited on the planet Tartaros, named for the lowest level of hell, the galaxy's dumping ground for the unwanted. Soon after they are abandoned in the sandy desert of Tartaros, the seventeen thousand-plus population is reduced to three thousand. The remaining "sharks" ...more
Emily
Aug 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fans of The Moon is a Harsh Mistressshould enjoy this. I really enjoyed all the characters, especially the progress of the narrator, Bando Nicos. Infinity Hold made me think a lot about my own views of our legal systems, including prison culture, and what my responsibilities are as a person.
I'm not saying I'm going to walk into a prison and make friends - but it's good to be knocked off my high horse and reminded that being behind bars changes a person's location, not their humanity.
Marniy
Jan 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Marniy by: xythen@aol.com
I read this book many years ago and the story has stayed with me all this time.
In a future plagued by overcrowded prisons, those with life sentences are dumped on a prison planet already populated by those who had been dumped there previously.
Landing is lethal as the natives slaughter the newcomers and steal their meager supplies.
One group manages to cooperate and fend off the attack.
Thus a basic society is cobbled together by people who rebelled against society's rules enough to get imprisoned.
LauraW
I read this a long time ago, but the story has stayed with me. In the far future, the prisons have become overcrowded, so the culture has taken to sending large groups of prisoners to a habitable, though harsh planet and dumping them there with a limited supply of food and tools. Since the entire planet is inhabited by criminals, it is a case of survival of the fittest. In this case, it is the development of law that helps one group become more fit than some of the others. I think this would mak ...more
Richard Valle
Apr 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. In part because it's not what you think it's going to be when you first start reading it... how good can a book about prisoners dropped onto a planet to fend for themselves be? It's great to see the group come together and work on forming a functional society.

Turns out this is a book in a series and I really want to get the other two and read them as well.
Warren Liebeman
Feb 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Story with an obvious socia message, almost to a distraction. But I really enjoyed it.
Xzarf
Mar 21, 2012
Bruce Jones
Jul 15, 2010
« previous 1 3 next »
What's The Name o...: Solved: Sci-Fi Prisoners are sent to another planet [s] 6 40 May 30, 2013 05:40AM
Kill All the Lawyers and Keep the Law 1 3 Sep 16, 2007 09:50AM
Barry is the first writer to win the Hugo, Nebula, and John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer all in the same year, for Enemy Mine. In addition to his acclaimed Enemy Mine Series, his works include the Circus World and Infinity Hold series, SF & fantasy novels, recovery and writing instruction works, and numerous short stories. He has just completed the first novel in his Redcliff Series, ...more
More about Barry B. Longyear...

Infinity Hold (3 books)