Start by marking “What About the Boy?” as Want to Read:
What About the Boy?

What About the Boy?

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  84 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Nobody knew what hurt little Joseph, and no one was offering a way to help him. He cried most of the time, and thrashed about as if in pain. He wasn't learning how to crawl, talk, or interact normally. Doctors told his parents to seek counseling, because nothing could help their son, and the quality of their own lives was at risk. Refusal to accept that advice changed thei ...more
Published September 1st 2011 by Lestrygonian Books

To ask other readers questions about What About the Boy?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What About the Boy?

Petra Eggs
This is not a happy book. Nothing happens in it that elevates your mood and gives you a feeling of real enjoyment, at least not more than momentarily.

So why 5 star? Because it is a true story without the added sweetness of sugar to make it more palatable that so many memoirs feel the need to add. For true it has a bitterly sad ending, but that's how it is.

It is a long review because it is impossible for me to review it without summarising the various methods the parents subscribe to, a kind of
Amanda
I expected this book to make me cry. I did not expect it to make me mad. As I read about the Gallup's struggle to find answers for their son, I was so disgusted by the mainstream medical world's refusal to, at first, acknowledge anything was wrong, then later, to acknowledge that someone somewhere might know something they didn't.

This is a book about being your child's advocate. It's about pushing past all the "experts" who are basically telling you, "We don't have the answers, so you're not al
Barron
"A moving memoir of love and persistence!"

Overall 4 Stars
Performance 5 Stars
Story 4 Stars

This is a wonderful book that follows a mother and father who have a developmentally disabled son. They are driven by frustration with doctors who can tell them nothing about why their child is the way he is not offer any solutions as to how to help him.

When doctors prove to be of no help the boy's parents seek alternatives to try and help him live a more normal life. When doctors offer no hope the Institute
Donna
Mar 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
First of all I would like to thank the people at Goodreads for giving me the chance to read this great book by Stephen Gallup. I was one of the lucky winners of this book in the Goodreads giveaway. I can say that I am very lucky to have gotten the opportunity to read about Joseph Gallup's life as he was growing up with a brain injury.

March 5, 1985, Stephen and Judy Gallup brought forth into this world a son, Joseph. They couldn't be more happy as this was what they had been waiting so long for.
Lynda Felder
Apr 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Stephen Gallup takes on the daunting task of writing a memoir with the same passion and perseverance with which he and his wife Judy tackled a series of difficult choices while raising their son, Joseph. The traditional medical community had nothing to offer but discouragement, telling the parents that they should just accept the status quo, that Joseph’s options would always be severely limited.

The story continues through years of hope and bewilderment as the couple decides on alternative treat
Joan Gilmartin
Sep 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. It is well written and although one might be tempted to think the subject could become dull it is a book that holds your interest until the end. It is also edifying. The parents, Steve and Judy, are relentless in trying every possible avenue to have Joseph have a normal life. And it is not a mindless search but an intelligent approach to a very difficult problem which involves a dedication on the part of the parents which not many people would persevere in as they did.
Justin Tapp
This book is the best portrait of what it is like to be the parents of a special needs child that I have ever seen; I recommend it for those who want an insight into that world. I saw so many people I know in the feelings expressed by the author. I read Ron Fournier's book Love That Boy subsequent to this one, and I recommend that one over this one as a real contrast in approaches to dealing with a special needs son.

My son is high-functioning on the autism spectrum, which puts us into contact wi
Paul Clayton
Apr 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A pledge fulfilled...

Steve and Judy are a young American couple starting out in life. They're college-educated, middle class, responsible, upbeat. They have a child and before they take the baby (Joseph) home, they are told that he has an abnormal brain structure. Then the baby doesn't achieve to the normal markers (movements, attempts to crawl, to turn over) at the normal time junctures. The reader can't help but get caught up in this memoir as Steve and Judy go from doctor to doctor in a fruit
Sandra "Jeanz"
Nov 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
So I decided I had to read this book and I think I went through every emotion there is reading this book. Their are the triumphs and happiness and joy when Joseph succeeds at a goal set for him by The Institute, and there are also disappointments, and despondency when he seems to reach a plateau and isn't meeting the targets that The Institute has set for him on their rigorous and at time arduous program for recovery. I do not want to give away too much in my review as I want people to read this ...more
Gwen - Chew & Digest Books -
Aug 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, 2011
What do you do when the “experts” have no answers or solutions for you? If the problem is something simple, like your car making a weird noise, the answer is easy. You take it to another mechanic.

What do you do when your child isn’t developing as fast as other children and the doctors not only have no idea what is wrong with him, but also have no suggestions on how to move forward, how to help him? With courage and determination, risking everything, Stephen Gallup and his wife Judy went to astou
Sue Parker
Feb 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Stephen Gallup's book, "What About The Boy" is a heart-rendering testament to parental love. When Stephen and Judy Gallup's son Joseph is born with undefined disabilities and appears to be in excruciating pain 24 hours a day, they must take extraodinary measures to minimize his suffering and maximize his potential.

The poignant story of parents who will stop at nothing to give their disabled son the skills the rest of us take for granted, "What About The Boy" follows the Gallups' pursuit, both i
Susannah
Apr 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is incredibly well written. I've read it multiple times, and despite knowing what's going to happen, I still end up crying. Everyone needs to read this book. It's life-changing (and I'm not exaggerating in the slightest).
Jill Elizabeth
Aug 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
*** Visit http://blog.jill-elizabeth.com/2011/1... to enter to win a free copy, contest runs through 11/8/11! ***

What About the Boy? is a book that came to my attention through the author’s response to a request I put out for guest posts. That in itself wouldn’t ordinarily be all that unusual or special – many an author writes promotional material in an attempt to gain publicity for their book. But this book itself is special, as is its author. You see, this isn’t just another story or work of f
tbears
Feb 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book exceeded my expectations but I shouldn't expect less from Stephen Gallup. I met Steve in '95 and knew he was a very eloquent writer just from our email missives. The previous reviews have already summarized the story so I won't go into more details allowing readers to enjoy the inspiring, emotional memoir themselves.

Even though I knew Steve, I did not know all the details of his & Judy's quest to heal Joseph. Steve did an excellent job of describing the treatments by keeping it si
Renee Yesso
Aug 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Interesting memoir about a father's attempts to help his son with a disability. Not sure I agree with all his choices, because the program was incredibly intense, but then I've never been in his shoes, so I wouldn't judge what he does as a parent.
Rob
Mar 12, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a good book for anyone to read that has a special needs child in their life. Gallup's story of raising his special needs son is one that will pull at your heartstrings and make you mad at the medical world at the same time. 300 pages of an amazingly strong family story is then derailed by a hard left turn in his story telling where previous strategies are abandoned and two epilogues that cram a lot of information into a short amount of space.

Don't get me wrong, this is a good story and h
Deedra
May 16, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I tried to like this book.I wanted to be understanding,but I could not tear myself from the professional side of this coin.Having worked with Special needs children and adults for many years I have never heard of a doctor,let alone more than one, tell parents to get counseling for themselves because there was no diagnosis or help for a client.In our population even people without a dx get help from day one...if they want it.
I was a bit taken aback at the thinking that this child could be cured.I
Juanita M. Echelbarger
To thePerseverance

loved following this special little boy through the desperate journey with his parents. I believe he became his best self as together they followed whatever paths seemed likely to bring this child to the place where hope leads them.

lowingthis speciial
Haley
May 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book shows the challenges parents faced in the last few decades to get help and early intervention for a child with special needs. The author bravely shows the path they chose to do their best to help their son. An inspiring story of perseverance and love!
Wilton Soares
Feb 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An amazing story of a family strugle to give their son a better life.
Marlene
« previous 1 3 next »
Audiobooks: How far would you go? 4 42 Jun 20, 2015 10:46AM
Audiobooks: Codes for a memoir 1 16 May 05, 2015 02:28PM
  • Saving Sammy: Curing the Boy Who Caught OCD
  • Seeing Ezra: A Mother's Story of Autism, Unconditional Love, and the Meaning of Normal
  • Remembering the Music, Forgetting the Words: Travels with Mom in the Land of Dementia
  • Blind: A Memoir
  • 33 Days: Touring In A Van.  Sleeping On Floors.  Chasing A Dream.
  • Bobblehead Dad: 25 Life Lessons I Forgot I Knew
  • A Subtle Thing
  • Conversations and Cosmopolitans: Awkward Moments, Mixed Drinks, and How a Mother and Son Finally Shared Who They Really Are
  • Max on Life: Answers and Insights to Your Most Important Questions
  • The Virgin Diaries
  • Barefoot in November
  • The Truth About Butterflies: A Memoir
  • This is US: The New All-American Family
Stephen Gallup has worked for many years as a technical writer. His greatest strength is in sorting through complex and often confusing subjects to expose the basic issues involved, and to show why those issues are important. In addition to his award-winning memoir, What About the Boy?, Steve has written a screenplay, short stories, numerous well-received essays, and even a poem or two.

When not wr
More about Stephen Gallup...

“I sensed then, and later formulated the conviction that wellness and potential are every child's birthright. And I'm quite sure that society is served when children have it.” 3 likes