Start by marking “Reluctantly Alice” as Want to Read:
Reluctantly Alice

Reluctantly Alice (Alice #3)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  1,621 ratings  ·  60 reviews
Alice McKinley comes home on the first day of junior high with a list of seven things about seventh grade that stink. Just about the only good thing she can think of is that she's friends with everyone. Maybe that's how to survive seventh grade and make it through the entire year with everyone liking her.

That turns out to be easier said than done, when Alice gets on the w
Published May 3rd 2011 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published March 30th 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Reluctantly Alice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reluctantly Alice

Crys (The Hodgenator)
I love Alice McKinley as a character. She is always trying to find her place in the world.

In her latest adventure, Alice is starting seventh grade and she has one goal - for everyone to like her. She doesn't want to be popular, she just wants everyone to think she is a "swell" gal.

There is only one problem. That problem is named Denise Whitlock. For some reason she hates Alice, and thus is the focus in the book: how to overcome a bully. Well, there really is only one way to do it - the Alice way
Cayla Mcelwee
For my summer reading I chose to read Reluctantly Alice. Reluctantly Alice was a very good choice for me to read because it kept my attention, and was a great part of the series. In Reluctantly Alice the author explained Alice's difficulties of starting 7th great with a goal of getting everyone to like her. I liked how the author made Alice start off well, have difficulties with her goal later in the book, and manage to fix her problems on her own, and become friends with the girl that was givin ...more
Meagan
This is the third installation in the "Alice" series, and once again I was thoroughly entertained. Like the rest of the series so far, it was poignant, sweet and funny. Rather than rehash my feelings about the series, I'd like to share a favorite passage, which occurs as Alice researches the human body at the public library:

"A librarian came by to get a book from the shelf, and she couldn't help but see what I was looking at; she didn't even blink. Like it was okay to be curious. I felt almost t
Elissa
Alice starts middle school and wants to be liked by everyone. She accidentally makes an enemy, though, with an older girl in her language arts class. Alice deals with her bully while also trying to set her dad up with a love interest.

Book takes place: The first semester of 7th grade.
Alice's life lessons: You can't be liked by everyone; sometimes it's better to kill someone with kindness.
Best Alice moment(s): the frog stand; Alice finding Ben and Marie's old letters; making Mr. Hensley's day; th
Maria
The third book in the Alice series, covering the first semester of seventh grade.

Alice decides she wants to be liked by everyone in seventh grade, but runs into trouble when she meets Denise Whitlock, who mercilessly picks on Alice. So the lesson in this one is how to deal with a bully. Alice deals with Denise by killing her with kindness, an approach that might not work so well in real life, but makes for a nice conclusion here. I also liked how Naylor humanized Denise towards the end of the bo
Natalie
Oh boy, I read books 3 - 8 several months ago, all right in a row, so I'm having a hard time remembering what happened in each book. I'll do my best, but all I can say 100% for sure is that I love, love, love these books.

Alice has just started 7th grade and she has goal: that everyone likes her. Not in a "I'm so popular way," but in a "I'm nice to everyone," kind of way. Fortunately Alice is extremely likable and she's doing well with her goal, until Denise Whitlock shows up. Denise has it in fo
Maura
I love the Alice series. I love that Alice is not spoiled, not a brat but honestly struggling to find her place in adolescence. So here she experiments with being liked by everybody...only that's not possible. She ends up getting on the wrong side of a bully. As much as Alice seems to represent the real struggles of adolescent girls and as much as I enjoy so much of her experiences (especially her brother Lester!), I can't help but wonder if these aren't a bit too dated now. Particularly for som ...more
Kim Fortin
Appreciated the fact that Reynolds Naylor not only takes on the confusing thing we call love and getting entangled in our family's love lives but also tackled bullying in school. Although engaging a bully doesn't always turn out as positive as this, it was nice to see the possibility of change in a bully character when Alice faced her fear.
Leigha
Out of the three Alice books I have read, this one is so far my favorite. My favorite parts of this one was the interactions between Alice and Denise and the ones between Alice, her family and Sylvia.

Shauna
I adore this Alice book, as I do all Alice books:) In this book Alice decides she wants to try to be a person everyone likes. A girl in her grade named Denise poses a problem for Alice. She seems to dislike her for no reason at all. She also has a few problems with her best friends Elizabeth and Pamela as well. You feel all of the complex emotions Alice goes through in this book, the author writes with wonderful voice. This book feels so real, you'll feel like your talking to your best friend as ...more
Michele
This one took me longer to read than the others. I just couldn't get into it. I like the Lester triangle going on. I will read the next but compared to the previous 4 this was my least favorite.
Danielle
First half of seventh grade. Alice want to be friends with the world. But there's evil fat Denise who wants to beat her up. Gasp! (I CAN'T STOP READING THIS SERIES GUHHH)
Lorry Chwazik
Alice enters the world of 7th grade determined to get along with everybody. But then along comes a girl who delights in bullying Alice.... (Book #6 counting the prequels.)
Jessica
Nice change of pace from the other, far more depressing novels I've been reading lately. wish I had read them as a kid though, as I would have really enjoyed them.
Laney Smith
A warm, lighthearted read. I read it in a day and a half, so I guess that says something. Not the best book I've ever read, but a very good one nonetheless.
Katie
Cute book about Alice. It may have somethings that are outdated in it, but the concepts presented remain true examples of what girls go through.
Kendall
These books are reminiscent of Judy Blume and her female characters...realistic fiction about daily life with no subject off limits. Although this series has been controversial, I haven't seen anything in this book that I believe is inappropriate for tweens....it addresses typical curiosities about puberty and for that some people have banned the book.

If these had been written twenty-five years ago (ouch!) I would've eaten them up. They do a great job of showcasing feelings of a typical suburba
Joyce Tratnyek
i really like this series and author.
♡ Kristina
Banned Books 2011
Reasons: nudity; offensive language; religious viewpoint

Banned Books 2006
Reasons: offensive language and sexually explicit

Banned Books 2003
Reasons: sexual content, offensive language, unsuited to age group

Banned Books 2002
Reasons: homosexuality, sexually explicit, unsuited to age group

Banned Books 2001
Reasons: sexually explicit, unsuited to age group
True rating: 4.5 stars.
Delena Isilee
Still not as good as Alice in Rapture, Sort Of, but still another good one.
Lindsey
Alice continues to crack me up. In this book she and Patrick have decided to be "special friends" instead of "boyfriend/girlfriend" and that seems to be working out well for them. Alice vows to go an entire year without anyone disliking her, but that goal seems in jeopardy when a school bully starts picking on her. Lester is trying to choose between two girlfriends, and Alice's dad is having a similar problem.
Tenique
I liked this book because it was funny and the school was like real schools. In the book, Alice didn't think she could sing and she afraid someone like the bully would make fun of her. Finally she took the advice of her brother and her Dad. Both of them thought she should try anyway, so she did and no one said anything. The story shows that you should do what you want to do.
Samantha
Alice begins junior high with the goal to be Alice the Likable. That goal becomes difficult to achieve when she meets Denise, a known school bully. This Alice book is defined by Alice's decision to go back to being friends with Patrick, her courage in standing up to/befriending her bully, and both her father and brother's relationship woes. Great read for tween girls.
Brian
Alice is now in the 7th grade and has to deal with an issue that plagues many students: a bully. This one comes in the form of Denise Whitlock, a very nasty girl who picks on Alice and makes fun of her for not having a mother. The side plots include further adventures with her friends, as well as Alice trying to set her father up with her English teacher.
Angel
Emma
I think Alice just keeps getting better and better with each book! I think my favorite thing about this installment is that even though Alice really wants to "get back" at her bully Denise, she chooses to take the high road. That is really courageous and she sets such a great example! I would say the whole series is a "must have."
Alice has to deal with starting Junior High, with being the bottom of the totum pole, with an older girl that seems to hate her, and with her own reluctance to be herself. She continues to grow as she realizes that she doesn't have to do everything for everyone. We also get a nice view of Lester and her father in this one.
Celine Parker
These books are so relateable! Reading them in the mid-2000s, I didn't even notice that they were written over ten years ago. Anyway, Alice finds Middle School (or Junior High, as they call it) rough at first, but manages to enjoy it, even becoming friends with the school bully.
YA lovers <3: Reluctantly Alice 1 1 Jul 10, 2014 02:38AM
  • Anastasia Again! (Anastasia Krupnik, #2)
  • Summerhouse Time
  • The Fourth Grade Wizards
  • Fairy School Dropout
  • The Courage of Cat Campbell
  • Detour for Emmy (Hamilton High, #1)
  • Ophie Out of Oz
  • The Summer Sherman Loved Me
  • Witch Twins (Witch Twins, #1)
  • King and King
  • Just Add Magic
  • The Facts Speak for Themselves
  • Crazy Lady!
  • Lily B. on the Brink of Love
  • Final Exit: The Practicalities of Self-deliverance & Assisted Suicide for the Dying
  • Regarding the Bathrooms: A Privy to the Past
  • The Classroom
  • You Hear Me?: Poems and Writing by Teenage Boys
Phyllis Reynolds Naylor was born in Anderson, Indiana, US on January 4, 1933.

Her family were strongly religious with conservative, midwestern values and most of her childhood was spent moving a lot due to her father's occupation as a salesman.

Though she grew up during the Depression and her family did not have a lot of money, Naylor stated that she never felt poor because her family owned good boo
More about Phyllis Reynolds Naylor...

Alice (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • The Agony of Alice (Alice, #1)
  • Alice in Rapture, Sort of (Alice, #2)
  • All But Alice (Alice, #4)
  • Alice in April (Alice, #5)
  • Alice In-Between (Alice, #6)
  • Alice the Brave (Alice, #7)
  • Alice in Lace (Alice, #8)
  • Outrageously Alice (Alice, #9)
  • Achingly Alice (Alice, #10)
  • Alice on the Outside  (Alice, #11)
Shiloh (Shiloh, #1) The Agony of Alice (Alice, #1) Faith, Hope, and Ivy June Shiloh Season (Shiloh, #2) Saving Shiloh (Shiloh, #3)