Start by marking “Reluctantly Alice” as Want to Read:
Reluctantly Alice

Reluctantly Alice (Alice #3)

3.92  ·  Rating Details ·  1,858 Ratings  ·  70 Reviews
Alice McKinley comes home on the first day of junior high with a list of seven things about seventh grade that stink. Just about the only good thing she can think of is that she's friends with everyone. Maybe that's how to survive seventh grade and make it through the entire year with everyone liking her.

That turns out to be easier said than done, when Alice gets on the w
Published May 3rd 2011 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published March 30th 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Reluctantly Alice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reluctantly Alice

Crys
I love Alice McKinley as a character. She is always trying to find her place in the world.

In her latest adventure, Alice is starting seventh grade and she has one goal - for everyone to like her. She doesn't want to be popular, she just wants everyone to think she is a "swell" gal.

There is only one problem. That problem is named Denise Whitlock. For some reason she hates Alice, and thus is the focus in the book: how to overcome a bully. Well, there really is only one way to do it - the Alice way
Meagan
Nov 03, 2009 Meagan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third installation in the "Alice" series, and once again I was thoroughly entertained. Like the rest of the series so far, it was poignant, sweet and funny. Rather than rehash my feelings about the series, I'd like to share a favorite passage, which occurs as Alice researches the human body at the public library:

"A librarian came by to get a book from the shelf, and she couldn't help but see what I was looking at; she didn't even blink. Like it was okay to be curious. I felt almost t
Cayla Mcelwee
Aug 28, 2011 Cayla Mcelwee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For my summer reading I chose to read Reluctantly Alice. Reluctantly Alice was a very good choice for me to read because it kept my attention, and was a great part of the series. In Reluctantly Alice the author explained Alice's difficulties of starting 7th great with a goal of getting everyone to like her. I liked how the author made Alice start off well, have difficulties with her goal later in the book, and manage to fix her problems on her own, and become friends with the girl that was givin ...more
Joyce
Jul 12, 2017 Joyce rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it - I remember just enough of this series to be like, "ah yeah that!" with a smile, but I forget just enough to be pleasantly surprised at major plot points, such as when Lester rescues Alice from Denise. I remember that Denise had family issues and ultimately commits suicide in front of a train later on in the series. I love witnessing the love problems of Alice's dad and older brother Lester. Interesting to read about Alice's seventh grade experiences. Man, I'm glad I didn't go to sev ...more
Celinda Reyes
May 10, 2017 Celinda Reyes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Currently re-reading all of the Alice books & it always amazes me that this series is still as entertaining as the 1st time I read it. HIGHLY recommend this series for all of my fellow bookworms!
Morgan
Mar 12, 2017 Morgan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
still fun!
Judith Bautista
Oct 21, 2015 Judith Bautista rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do you think you will survive seventh grade? The genre of this book is realistic fiction. In my opinion this was a good and interesting book because it tells how seventh grade was for Alice.
The setting of this book was at Alice's junior high school. The setting is important to the book because it makes you understand the conflict more. This book was about Alice first year at junior high. She wanted to fit in with other people around her and she wanted people to like her. However, this ninth g
Maria
Apr 09, 2015 Maria rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
The third book in the Alice series, covering the first semester of seventh grade.

Alice decides she wants to be liked by everyone in seventh grade, but runs into trouble when she meets Denise Whitlock, who mercilessly picks on Alice. So the lesson in this one is how to deal with a bully. Alice deals with Denise by killing her with kindness, an approach that might not work so well in real life, but makes for a nice conclusion here. I also liked how Naylor humanized Denise towards the end of the bo
Starting middle school/Junior High can be an extremely scary and nerve-wracking thing, and I think that Ms. Naylor captures all of the emotions perfectly. Alice finds all of her relationships changing in this book: with Patrick, with Pamela/Elizabeth, with her father, with Lester, with Aunt Sally, and with her teachers. This year, she wants to like everyone and for everyone to like her. But then Denise shows up. And Denise represents all of those people that are hurting and just want someone to ...more
Natalie
Oh boy, I read books 3 - 8 several months ago, all right in a row, so I'm having a hard time remembering what happened in each book. I'll do my best, but all I can say 100% for sure is that I love, love, love these books.

Alice has just started 7th grade and she has goal: that everyone likes her. Not in a "I'm so popular way," but in a "I'm nice to everyone," kind of way. Fortunately Alice is extremely likable and she's doing well with her goal, until Denise Whitlock shows up. Denise has it in fo
brooklynnnne
As always, another Alice book that accurately shows the life of a middle school girl. The character of Alice was as lovable as ever in this novel with her naivety, humor, and drama.

I felt that in this novel instead of exciting, unrealistic events, it just showed the realities of everyday life. It was quick and enjoyable light read.

I'm excited to continue the series and to see the character development of Alice as she ages. The novels appear to be getting longer and the content maturing (age appr
Maura
I love the Alice series. I love that Alice is not spoiled, not a brat but honestly struggling to find her place in adolescence. So here she experiments with being liked by everybody...only that's not possible. She ends up getting on the wrong side of a bully. As much as Alice seems to represent the real struggles of adolescent girls and as much as I enjoy so much of her experiences (especially her brother Lester!), I can't help but wonder if these aren't a bit too dated now. Particularly for som ...more
Shauna
Mar 14, 2012 Shauna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adore this Alice book, as I do all Alice books:) In this book Alice decides she wants to try to be a person everyone likes. A girl in her grade named Denise poses a problem for Alice. She seems to dislike her for no reason at all. She also has a few problems with her best friends Elizabeth and Pamela as well. You feel all of the complex emotions Alice goes through in this book, the author writes with wonderful voice. This book feels so real, you'll feel like your talking to your best friend as ...more
Nov 18, 2015 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alice has started her first semester of 7th grade, and she's determine to be friends with everybody. However, bully Denise has other ideas. She constantly picks on Alice, and Alice isn't sure what she should do about. She gets advice from her dad, her brother, and Aunt Sally, but she realizes that she's the only one who can decided what to do.

I love that Naylor chose this particular book to talk about bullying. For many (including me), junior high was our first traumatic bullying experience, and
Elissa
Jul 23, 2014 Elissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alice starts middle school and wants to be liked by everyone. She accidentally makes an enemy, though, with an older girl in her language arts class. Alice deals with her bully while also trying to set her dad up with a love interest.

Book takes place: The first semester of 7th grade.
Alice's life lessons: You can't be liked by everyone; sometimes it's better to kill someone with kindness.
Best Alice moment(s): the frog stand; Alice finding Ben and Marie's old letters; making Mr. Hensley's day; th
Kendall
These books are reminiscent of Judy Blume and her female characters...realistic fiction about daily life with no subject off limits. Although this series has been controversial, I haven't seen anything in this book that I believe is inappropriate for tweens....it addresses typical curiosities about puberty and for that some people have banned the book.

If these had been written twenty-five years ago (ouch!) I would've eaten them up. They do a great job of showcasing feelings of a typical suburba
♡ Kristina
Banned Books 2011
Reasons: nudity; offensive language; religious viewpoint

Banned Books 2006
Reasons: offensive language and sexually explicit

Banned Books 2003
Reasons: sexual content, offensive language, unsuited to age group

Banned Books 2002
Reasons: homosexuality, sexually explicit, unsuited to age group

Banned Books 2001
Reasons: sexually explicit, unsuited to age group
Lindsey
Alice continues to crack me up. In this book she and Patrick have decided to be "special friends" instead of "boyfriend/girlfriend" and that seems to be working out well for them. Alice vows to go an entire year without anyone disliking her, but that goal seems in jeopardy when a school bully starts picking on her. Lester is trying to choose between two girlfriends, and Alice's dad is having a similar problem.
Angel
Sep 05, 2012 Angel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Emma
Jul 27, 2011 Emma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I think Alice just keeps getting better and better with each book! I think my favorite thing about this installment is that even though Alice really wants to "get back" at her bully Denise, she chooses to take the high road. That is really courageous and she sets such a great example! I would say the whole series is a "must have."
Brian
Oct 22, 2013 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alice is now in the 7th grade and has to deal with an issue that plagues many students: a bully. This one comes in the form of Denise Whitlock, a very nasty girl who picks on Alice and makes fun of her for not having a mother. The side plots include further adventures with her friends, as well as Alice trying to set her father up with her English teacher.
Charlene Nelson
Jun 29, 2016 Charlene Nelson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alice and seventh grade

In this book we find Alice in seventh grade after the summer. Luckily she has her two best friends to guide her along the way no matter how crazy they are. We find that all of Alice's things she wants to accomplish just can't be done. What happens in this book you will have to read and find out.
Tenique
Nov 22, 2007 Tenique rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book because it was funny and the school was like real schools. In the book, Alice didn't think she could sing and she afraid someone like the bully would make fun of her. Finally she took the advice of her brother and her Dad. Both of them thought she should try anyway, so she did and no one said anything. The story shows that you should do what you want to do.
Kim Fortin
Apr 09, 2014 Kim Fortin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Appreciated the fact that Reynolds Naylor not only takes on the confusing thing we call love and getting entangled in our family's love lives but also tackled bullying in school. Although engaging a bully doesn't always turn out as positive as this, it was nice to see the possibility of change in a bully character when Alice faced her fear.
Samantha
Alice begins junior high with the goal to be Alice the Likable. That goal becomes difficult to achieve when she meets Denise, a known school bully. This Alice book is defined by Alice's decision to go back to being friends with Patrick, her courage in standing up to/befriending her bully, and both her father and brother's relationship woes. Great read for tween girls.
Louise
May 31, 2009 Louise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was really good. It as a bit humarous. I can understand Alice's conflicts of being teased and treated badly by Denise"Mack-Truck" Whitlock. The book just has great situations and characters.I really recommend it!
Celine Parker
Jun 13, 2009 Celine Parker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These books are so relateable! Reading them in the mid-2000s, I didn't even notice that they were written over ten years ago. Anyway, Alice finds Middle School (or Junior High, as they call it) rough at first, but manages to enjoy it, even becoming friends with the school bully.
Leigha's Little Library
Aug 16, 2015 Leigha's Little Library rated it really liked it
Out of the three Alice books I have read, this one is so far my favorite. My favorite parts of this one was the interactions between Alice and Denise and the ones between Alice, her family and Sylvia.

Jess
Jun 15, 2012 Jess rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like how this one dealt with wanting to fit in and be liked by all. A lot of kids, girls especially, find out that not everybody wants to be their BFF when they get older, and that is super tough. It was always nice to know Alice had the same problems.
Kathryn
Sep 16, 2009 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
October 2011 re-read.

Long live Alice!
YA lovers <3: Reluctantly Alice 1 1 Jul 10, 2014 02:38AM
  • The Fourth Grade Wizards
  • Summerhouse Time
  • Anastasia Again! (Anastasia Krupnik, #2)
  • Katie's New Recipe (Cupcake Diaries, #13)
  • Baby-Sitters Little Sister Boxed Set #1 (Baby-Sitters Little Sister, #1-4)
  • The Facts Speak for Themselves
  • Breakfast at Sadie's
  • Fairy School Dropout
  • Ophie Out of Oz
  • Witch Twins (Witch Twins, #1)
  • The Courage of Cat Campbell
  • King and King
  • The Epic Documentary of a Not-Yet-Epic Kid (Classroom, #1)
  • Detour for Emmy
  • Lily B. on the Brink of Love
  • The Summer Sherman Loved Me
  • Life, Starring Me! (Candy Apple #18)
  • Crazy Lady!
Phyllis Reynolds Naylor was born in Anderson, Indiana, US on January 4, 1933.

Her family were strongly religious with conservative, midwestern values and most of her childhood was spent moving a lot due to her father's occupation as a salesman.

Though she grew up during the Depression and her family did not have a lot of money, Naylor stated that she never felt poor because her family owned good boo
More about Phyllis Reynolds Naylor...

Alice (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • The Agony of Alice (Alice, #1)
  • Alice in Rapture, Sort of (Alice, #2)
  • All But Alice (Alice, #4)
  • Alice in April (Alice, #5)
  • Alice In-Between (Alice, #6)
  • Alice the Brave (Alice, #7)
  • Alice in Lace (Alice, #8)
  • Outrageously Alice (Alice, #9)
  • Achingly Alice (Alice, #10)
  • Alice on the Outside  (Alice, #11)