Start by marking “The Avengers, Volume 2” as Want to Read:
The Avengers, Volume 2

The Avengers, Volume 2 (The Avengers, Volume IV #2)

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  977 Ratings  ·  65 Reviews
Collecting Avengers (2010) 7-12, 12.1

Marvel's super-secret brain trust has reunited because someone is trying to put the Infinity Gauntlet back together. Who is it and will the Avengers be able to stop them in time? And what does any of this have to do with the Red Hulk? Plus, is there a little romance brewing? Another blistering blockbuster chapter from Marvel's premiere

Published July 27th 2011 by Marvel Enterprises, Inc. (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Avengers, Volume 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Avengers, Volume 2

Kemper
Nov 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, superhero, 2011
SHIELD Surveillance Report - Subject: Team code named ‘The Avengers’ - Top Secret - Nick Fury’s Eyes Only - Transcript that follows documents a conversation between Steve Rogers (Former Captain America) and Tony Stark (a/k/a Iron Man).

Steve Rogers: Hey, Tony. How are you doing?

Tony Stark: Not too bad. You wanted to talk about something?

SR: Yeah, I do. Take a seat. I just wanted to let you know that I was initially a little leery of putting you on this team of Avengers.

TS: I understand. After all
Nicolo Yu
Apr 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: collected-comics
Post- Siege (check out my review of the miniseries here) experienced a massive Avengers renaissance highlighted by the return of the original adjective-less Avengers title, as opposed to New, Secret, Academy and Young. The launch of new titles featured the different Avengers branches and an expanded roster. This new era could be rightly called a Heroic Age , the end of division ( Civil War ), no more distrust ( Secret Invasion ) and a hero appointed as America’s new top cop, as opposed to Osbo ...more
J.
May 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve been reading The Avengers on a monthly basis since a little before Bendis pulled the whole Disassembled thing. Looking back on it, that’s a lot of time to invest into a title. Couple that with the fact that I stuck with Bendis’ handling of the team through both the New and Mighty Avengers titles and then the “Heroic Age” relaunch and that’s a lot of time spent reading his take on the franchise. I’ll admit that for me, Bendis is the name I will probably always associate with Avengers. I’ve g ...more
Sam Quixote
Oct 24, 2012 rated it did not like it
SPOILERS

What do you do when you start a series called “New Avengers”? Dredge up old storylines of course! Brian Michael Bendis goes back to Jim Starlin’s “The Infinity Gauntlet” for this new iteration of the Avengers to play out. The Hood (yup, really) has bribed his way out of Ryker’s Island and made it to the secret kingdom of the late Black Bolt to acquire the first of the Infinity Gems – powerful stones that, once all 5 are collected together, form the Infinity Gauntlet, an item of incredibl
Brian Poole
Oct 28, 2014 rated it liked it
In the ruins of the site of the Inhumans’ former home in the Himalayas, de-powered villain The Hood discovered one of the Infinity Gems, hidden there by missing Inhuman leader Black Bolt. After The Hood stole another Gem from the Fantastic Four’s HQ, he attacked the Red Hulk as a test of the Gems’ power. Iron Man gathered the Illuminati once again, with Medusa responding in place of Black Bolt, and none too impressed with the gathering. The Illuminati went to check out the Himalayan theft and so ...more
Mike
Aug 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
God I hope Bendis knows what he's doing because if he keeps writing these earth-shattering stories he's gotta run out of ideas sometime. And what do we read about then - Spidey gets a hangnail?

I continue to enjoy Bendis' writing - even though it's continuing on this path of more serious, more earnest writing. There's lots of thought and backstory put into each storyline and it's clear Bendis takes this job seriously, not phoning it in (at least not on this book).

JRJr is harder to pin down my opi
William Thomas
May 19, 2012 rated it liked it
One of the very first crossovers I ever read was the single issue format of The Infinity Gauntlet. I was in total awe of that book. It was so damn big, so monumental, so perfect to me at the time. Seeing all of the heroes and Adam Warlock and Thanos and Epoch and Galactus... it was just so damn cool. Its what started me reading the Infinity Watch, a supremely underrated book if there ever was one. I was ten years old at the time and I had just fallen in love. My first love.

And I think Bendis mus
Jeff
Aug 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: comix
The Infinity Gauntlet. Remember that storyline. It appears that The Hood (Is he called “The Hood” because he wears a hood or because he’s the pent-ultimate hoodlum?) discovers the existence of the Infinity Gems while in prison and begins to track them down. The Illuminati, the Marvel Universe’s behind the scenes mover and shakers, hid the gems because the person/being who controls them all has absolute power over everything. Everything!

The storyline also brings the Red Hulk into the heroes' fold
Sonic
Aug 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this!

(My ONE criticism would be the horror I felt when I read the in the Precap about the Red Hulk. I hate who he supposedly is, and it almost ruined it for me. Amongst ALL the things we comics readers are supposed to allow for in the category of "suspension of disbelief" I had a particular problem with this one.
And it scratches the raw nerve of how the Hulk has never resembled (being a mutated version of) Bruce Banner.

Am I right?
Am I Right???

Anyway...
Once I got over that
Megan M
May 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this volume, which centers around the Hood attempting to bring together the Infinity Gauntlet. If you're a Steve/Tony shipper, you'll love the many great scenes they have together. And the bit with Spiderman explaining to Noh-varr who Mommy and Daddy are... perfect. So perfect. All in all, a great, action-packed volume for fans of the many variations of Avengers. So many characters make their way into the story that you're bound to find something worth your time.
Sep 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic_novels
Dear Brian Michael Bendis: Never change. That bit with Spiderman explaining to Noh-Varr that Steve Rogers and Tony Stark are the mom and dad of the Avengers will never get old. Never.

Also, the story was good and well-executed. Romita Jr.'s art is fantastic (I particularly love the way he draws Steve Rogers and Thor).
Kahn
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You see? This. This is what I was talking about.
When Strange is the focus of attention, the books feel flimsy and lightweight, they lack depth and passion.
And yet give the Avengers an equally kooky, off-the-wall, kinda tale, and it feels tight, solid, action-packed. As if Bendis knows what he's dealing with.
And that's when the Marvel universe rocks.
Here we have Cap n Tony falling out because Cap didn't know that Tony and a select group of chums had gone and hidden the Infinity Gems in various sa
P Fosten
Apr 30, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Aaron
Apr 22, 2015 rated it liked it
A typically well-written if a little underwhelming entry from Bendis. He seems real caught up on Parker Robbins (AKA The Hood). I've never been that thrilled with The Hood as a bad guy. He's got a mildly interesting backstory (a normal street criminal who was granted the massive magical power of Dormammu in Bendis's original New Avengers run), but once he was defeated at the end of that comic I was pretty happy to see him go. Well, I guess Bendis just couldn't let it end, because he brought him ...more
Kevin Giebens
I had totally different expectations when I picked up this volume.

What I thought it was about: The Avengers learn about a new Hulk who wreaks havoc in New York, but it isn't Bruce Banner. Who is this new Red Hulk? And what is he after?

description

What it was really about: The Infinity Gems get stolen one by one, and Red Hulk seeks help from the Avengers. The identity of the Illuminati becomes public, and Steve Rogers isn't happy about it. And a villain from the New Avengers returns.

description

Compared to the previous
Greta is Erikasbuddy
Jun 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A Letter to the Comic Book Guys

Hi there!! Me again. Just an FYI: this review will in no way sound as smart as yours. I won't remember everything or what led up to what or who everyone is, but that's ok. Right? I mean, it's cool for you to remember it all and for me just to tag along, I think. Just keep in mind that I read these for fun. And in my opinion, that's what comics are all about. But since these are graphic novels... well.... I'll be over by the punch if you need me :P

A review from a no
J'aime
Apr 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was disappointed in the first volume of Bendis' Avengers post-Siege series. It was great to see Steve Rogers back with his teammates, however, I was not happy to see Ultron, or Kang, and another convoluted timestream story. Fortunately, this second volume was a major improvement as the Illuminati discover (once again) that their actions had unforeseen consequences. In "New Avengers: Illuminati", Reed Richards convinced the group to find and take custody of the Infinity Gems, so they don't fall ...more
Jordan Lahn
This felt much more in keeping with the legacy of New Avengers, perhaps because it got the whole gang back together to fight the Hood. I appreciate that Bendis throws a great villain into a tricky plot, and just when you're starting to wonder "Wait, isn't this guy in jail? And how does he know about the gems?" he throws in a series of flashbacks that answer all those questions. Much less front heavy than telling the whole story in sequence, and it adds a bit of mystery.
Still not a big fan of the
Jonathan
May 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
A highly entertaining and rollicking read. This may not match a four star classic novel in depth but it sure can equal it in terms of entertainment. And that is ultimately how I judge a book - by how much fun I had reading it. Everything else is just an additive to the book generally. Of course that is not to say that when I read a book full of depth I will naturally disregard it if it lacked as much of the enjoyment factor.

Those who are comics/graphic novel fans/who-cares-about-labelling will e
Jbainnz
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another great read.

Gutted this is Romitas last volume on.The series. He really brought the stories alive in my opinion.

If your a fan of the previous volume, you'll enjoy this one!
$ergio O
Dec 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Any kid who likes comics
Recommended to $ergio by: My self
The Avengers was a pretty good book. There are 5 gems that make the Avengers strong. The gems are locked up in a secret place. A guy went mountain climbing with a group of friends. He fell down in a deep hole. Luckily he was tied up. The man cut his rope and landed on the ground. There was a cave. He followed it. He came across two big metal doors. Behind those doors were 4 gems. The gems were glowing, bright, and all with different colors. When he grabbed them he felt so powerful. The Avengers ...more
***Dave Hill
Jan 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: illustrated
The Avengers ... and the Red Hulk ... and the Illuminati have to band together when the Hood tries to gather the Infinity Gems.

Bendis does good dialog, and pulls in a lot of his (and others') older concepts in an imaginative fashion. Romita's art has gotten progressively blockier over the years, but it harnesses the power of the combatants just great.

I can't say this Infinity Gem saga matches up to, say, the "Infinity Gauntlet" mini-series. This is more of a slug-fest than psychodrama, an exerci
Gavin
Aug 27, 2014 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, comixology
***Read only Issue #12.1***

From the wonderful folks at Comixology, this one covers the disappearance of Jessica Drew/Spider-Woman, and features a butt-load of Avengers, all working to find her. It's fun to see so many teamed up, but you dilute what each can contribute when you have so many...
The head of SWORD (that Green Haired Chick that used-to/might still date Beast) shows up to explain that Jessica went missing, and it's up to them all to find her.

She's been taken by some of the big baddies
Arturo
Aug 16, 2014 rated it liked it
After The Siege, The Heroic Age begins. To start off a new volume with Romita Jr. on art is a big negative for me. I really, really don't like Romita Jrs art, and I have to look for some way to enjoy the story. I did read that no one draws such action like he does. And that it has an old kirby-esque type of style to it. I guess that'll do.

The Hood is after the infinity gems. The illuminati is no longer a secret to the rest of the heroes. And the Red Hulk helps out.
An ok story.
I might add The
M
Sep 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Brian Bendis uses his main Avengers title to go back to his favorite topic - the Illuminati. In this volume, Parker (The Hood) Robbins is out to gather the Infinity Gems as a means of replacing his lost Norn Stone powers. Tusseling with the Red Hulk, the crimson behemoth brings this problem to all three Avenger squads and forces the secret cabal of the Illuminati to come clean. Despite some good character moments with the Hood, Bendis really just uses this as an excuse to add Steve Rogers to the ...more
Jason
Nov 05, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Is it just me, or is the Avengers has too many heroes now?

You have former members from other teams like the X-Men and The Fantastic Four. You have former soloists like Spider-man.

The issue isn't that the Avengers is no longer exclusive. It's that it's difficult to incorporate everyone into a storyline in a meaningful way. You basically have a lot of characters that are making an appearance on the pages, but either hardly saying/doing anything or nothing at all.

Maybe I'm the only one bothered by
Robert Wright
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Bendis continues to rehabilitate himself in my eyes with this second volume.

I've never been shy of criticizing his work at marvel, but this story really rocks it. Fun, epic, well-drawn and with some serious conflicts and changes for the heroes. Plus, we get a return of the Infinity Gems and (view spoiler) He even manages to make me not annoyed by Red Hulk.

Finally, it seems that this book is being written by the
Jen
Aug 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelley
Oct 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Steve is pretty devastated to learn that Tony has been part of a super-secret group, the Illuminati, who have been hiding Infinity Gems, and now they are being collected by the bad guys. Hello, Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet. I wonder if this will be part of the plot for the Avengers 3/4 movies? Lots of fighting, lots of betrayal, lots of high stakes gathering of the stones. Sort of wrapped up quickly, wonder if there's more fall out in volume 3?
Yusra
Feb 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
This volume was a lot better thought out than the first, in my opinion. I really liked the way the story handled the Steve/Tony banter and it didn't seem immature. There aren't many distractions, unlike the first that had the problem that everyone had one liners rather than contributing to the conversation. I thought the Spider-girl story was alright, Jessica is definitely an intriguing character and I find myself interested in picking up more comics with her in the fore-front.
  • Secret Avengers, Volume 1: Mission to Mars
  • Spider-Man: Big Time
  • Astonishing Spider-Man & Wolverine
  • Avengers Assemble: Science Bros
  • X-Men: Second Coming Revelations

More about Brian Michael Bendis...

The Avengers, Volume IV (6 books)
  • The Avengers, Volume 1