Start by marking “You Can't Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought” as Want to Read:
You Can't Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

You Can't Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

A book for people with any life-threatening illness-including life.
Published January 1st 1995 by Prelude Press (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about You Can't Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Can't Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

Start your review of You Can't Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought
Martin
Apr 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was recently reminded of this book. It played a *huge* role in getting me out of a funk many years ago, and so I figured I at least owed it and its authors a thank you and glowing review. I don't know where I'd be now if I hadn't read it at just the time I did.
Sara Harper
So, i'm going to get personal and admit that I am a work in progress and am constantly looking for ways to better myself (i want to learn and grow constantly). I tend to shy away from self-help books if I find them too preachy or judgmental. But I found none of that in this book, in fact I found it not only rewarding to read but also very funny. Instead of hitting me over the head with all of the things that cause negative thinking (and it's effects on the mind, body and soul) it broke it down i ...more
Karl
Dec 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
With a wonderful, light-hearted attitude, Peter McWilliams shares his thoughts, and quotes from many of the greats in history, as he discusses how our thoughts form our reality. Indeed, from the very first sentences in the book we get the essence of everything that the author is trying to say,

“A simple thought. A few micromilliwatts of energy flowing through our brain. A seemingly innocuous, almost ephemeral event. And yet, a thought—or, more accurately, a carefully orchestrated series of thoug
Lauren
Jan 26, 2018 rated it liked it
You Can't Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought has a lot of good quotes, advice, and points. There are times when the ideas are far fetched and a little odd. I will use some of this advice and help, but some sections were unnecessary. Overall, I would recommend the book to people who want to see life in a positive light and dive into some self-help practices.
Charles Hash
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books out there for lifting yourself up and the others around you. This book and it's sister, Ain't Nobody's Business if You Do, have proven to be an invaluable resource to myself as a writer and and an individual.
Lin Stepp
Mar 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
One of the many great books in John-Roger and Peter McWilliams Life 101 series.
The book stresses the importance of being positive about everything ... and reveals the dangers of negativity and pessimism. Presents concepts on the "disease" of negativity and the "cure" and contains great personal stories and wonderful, inspirational quotes. If you've gotten into the negative thinking habit, this book will help turn you around and send you running the other way!
Joyce Stewart
Jun 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was the beginning of my mind being renewed. I knew I had to make some choices for change but didn't realize they were all internal.

I was at a dead beat job and living with some circumstances not desired but this book kept me full of hope and boy is it funny!!!!

I would read it at work (call center environment) and others were constantly asking me what I was reading.

It's worth more than the retail cost!!!!
Larry
Dec 09, 2014 rated it did not like it
I didn't finish this one.

I was looking for something like Learned Optimism about cultivating a good attitude and developing a positive mental outlook, but this wasn't it.

I found this to be shallow and superficial.

Glory Talbott
Jan 30, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked some concepts and found some points to be helpful. Other parts was a bit strange and not helpful. An average read for a self help book.
Tristan Black Wolf
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
Nearly all self-help books are terrible, bordering upon worthless or, worse still, destructive. They tell you everything that's wrong with you and, because you're terrible and the author is filthy rich from giving advice, you must do what they say, or else you'll stay terrible.

This book is a magnificent exception to that observation. In well-conceived, bite-sized pieces (from one to perhaps seven pages in each bite), McWilliams simply describes and discusses "stuff we all do" and "stuff that see
Dayla
Nov 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
From this book, I relearned how to think about an event. You always have several choices.

E.g. Everyone at work hates me.

Replacement thought: Of course the majority of people feel uncomfortable when you hold them accountable, but after awhile, most will get used to it. In fact, in the end, most people who work the hardest get the least amount of time and nurturing, and accountability is a way to rectify that inequity.

It took me awhile, but I can do "replacement thoughts" on the "fly" now.
Mel
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own
This is a really weird book. If you can get past that, there is some good advice!
My copy has a lot of misprinting, possibly due to inaccurate changes between versions?
Molly
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Practical, quick to implement, easy to read in short bits. Helpful and powerful results.
Amanda
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolute favorite for 2016-2017.
Annie
Oct 27, 2011 rated it liked it
A good friend gave this to me a few years ago when I was battling an auto immune disorder. Even though I am in much better shape now, I still find the ideas in here useful. Great place to start for anyone depressed or in a rut of some kind.
Michele Casper
Sep 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
I took several pages of notes from this book. It is full of good common-sense counsel that has really helped me in my effort to change negative thought patterns. The quotes that are on every other page add to the positive flavor of the book, and the authors humor also make it an enjoyable read.
Cheryl
Jan 30, 2009 marked it as waiting-2-b-read
I love the quotes too. Added quite a few of them to my screensaver.
Tommers
Good advice on how to focus on the positive and not get bogged down with unnecessary and unhelpful negatives. Lots of quotes. I like quotes.
Sue
Jul 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
life changing
AnnaM
Dec 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I've had this book for many years, reread it often, and have highlighted something important on nearly every page.
booklady
Probably would have given it a higher rating back in '94 when I first read it. Then it was like gold to me. Now it's something I think I can pass on to someone who needs it more than I do.
Laura Isabel
Jul 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Dated and overly simplistic, but I found a few valuable takeaways
Kiran
Mar 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
It is a nice book that will help one to clarify their opinions about Negative Thinking, Positive Thinking and accepting the reality!

Which is the key to start actually monitoring one's thoughts.
Radhajeet
Jan 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
An easy read about overcoming negative thinking.
Heather Love
Jul 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Thanks Cinday and Leah M for suggesting this I am on Pg 63..
Paula  Phillips
Jan 04, 2020
Robert Cymbala
Jan 23, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• The 19th Christmas (Women's Murder Club, #19)
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly
  • Save the Cat: The Last Book on Screenwriting You'll Ever Need
  • Yes Man
  • The Science of Storytelling
  • Revolution
  • Beyond Bigger Leaner Stronger: The Advanced Guide to Building Muscle, Staying Lean, and Getting Strong
  • Dark Reunion (The Vampire Diaries, #4)
  • Kabul Beauty School: An American Woman Goes Behind the Veil
  • The Mindfulness Journal: Daily Practices, Writing Prompts, and Reflections for Living in the Present Moment
  • The Aeronaut's Windlass (The Cinder Spires, #1)
  • Fodor's China (Full-color Travel Guide)
  • Stories I Only Tell My Friends