Start by marking “Yakuza Moon: The True Story of a Gangster's Daughter” as Want to Read:
Yakuza Moon: The True Story of a Gangster's Daughter

Yakuza Moon: The True Story of a Gangster's Daughter

In this lively and inspiring adaptation by a rising star in the manga world, and with illustrations by a leading artist, Shoko Tendo's powerful story has been recreated. Yakuza Moon is a heartrending and eye-opening account of her experiences growing up in Japan's gangster society.
Born into the family of a wealthy yakuza boss, Shoko Tendo lived her early years in luxury.
Published July 1st 2011 by Kodansha

To ask other readers questions about Yakuza Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yakuza Moon

Start your review of Yakuza Moon: The True Story of a Gangster's Daughter
Cristina Boncea
Am primit această manga cadou de ziua mea și a fost una dintre cele mai inspirate alegeri, căci mi-a plăcut foarte mult acest roman grafic la baza căruia se află o carte autobiografică scrisă de Shoko Tendo, al cărei tată a fost un membru yakuza.

Frumoasele grafici ne relatează povestea la persoana I a lui Shoko, încă din copilărie și până la vârsta de treizeci și doi de ani. Aceasta a fost hărțuită la școală din cauza familiei de proveniență, iar viața ei de acasă nu era cu mult mai bună, deși
Courtney
A fascinating graphic memoir of a woman who has lived her whole life under the shadow of organized crime. I cannot compare it to the actual memoir, as I didn't even know about it until I stumbled upon this graphic novel. Still, it does pack a punch. Shoko's life is frightening and brutal and yet she finds ways to keep herself afloat. I have always wondered what life must be like for the women who are, by extension, part of the Yakuza families. Unsurprisingly, it's not too good. Overall, this is ...more
StrictlySequential
I am sure that this would have gotten ***** if Shaggy Grinsalot had more pages because I give the creator the benefit of the doubt in terms of those decisions.

If I'm wrong then he didn't tell enough of the story since he had a full book to work from because there were many things, mostly comparative chronology and cause/effect, that Tendo could not have left so vague or chosen not to address.

I was happy that he only included the stunningly beautiful artwork on her back because I gathered that
Ravi Singh
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very moving account of one girls trials and tribulations as the daughter of a Yakuza boss. Very honest about the sexual and drug abuse and her fight to overcome it and forge a life for herself. I read the Manga version and it added to the sense of the story rather than trivialise it. I would say read the Manga version rather than a simple and straightforward text. A very brave young lady telling a very relevant story which is more than angst and all about surviving the modern world with all ...more
Cătălina
Finally a few words about "Yakuza Moon", which was a pretty ok graphic novel. Not the best, not the worst, just enough to keep you reading. The art style and the general design are very American; the characters do not even look Japanese. There are a few strong moments packed with emotions, but I don't feel like this format or its length can do justice to such a powerful story. I also can't bring myself to rate this as it's a memoir and it's not the original shape of the story.
Radarici
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Her account about her childhood as a normal girl, her problematic teenage years and her personal story as a young urban woman living cycles of abusive relationships are touching and heartbreaking. This kind of book makes us aware of the urgent need of an outspoken debate about violence against women in contemporary society.
Ewout
Mar 17, 2018 rated it liked it
I felt the chapters were rushed, too fast-paced. More the story of a troubled daughter than a gangster daughter I have to say, don't be fooled and think there's going to be a lot of Yakuza action, but more some men mistreating here also being gangsters.
Theo Darmawan
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Still memorable more than a decade on.
Liana Wibowo
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Read in 2013, the book shows lots of history and stories which will inspire anyone who read it
Gabz
May 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
Pretty good, actually. It's a well paced book that makes you want to go out there and read the whole story as written by Shoko. the artwork is lovely, too!
ZepysGirl
I feel weird even giving this a rating. So much happened constantly, I never really found my footing.
Darren Lim
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Interesting book of a delinquent in Japan. We all make questionable choices.
Anastasia
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, japanese
shoko tendo is such a strong and beautiful woman! wow
카 트리 나
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fiind și reală, Shoko poate fi un exemplu, dar nu datorită deciziilor greșite pe care le-a luat, ci pentru că a reușit să lupte și să se scoată la suprafață atunci când i-a fost mai greu.

Book Inspector
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book tells a story of Shoko Tendo, and it was a manga version of her memoir. Her life was pretty brutal and filled with bad decisions, drugs and sex. She got mixed with the wrong crowd at a very young age, and that got her into drugs, countless horrible and abusive relationships, mostly with married men. I didnt like Shoko at all, she continuously made poor decisions in her life, and it all started with her being Know it all in her young days.

The narrative of this novel is filled with
Tammy
Jan 28, 2016 rated it liked it
This is the true story of Shoko Tendo. She was born into a life of luxury as her father was a powerful mob boss. In Japan these groups are known as Yakuza. However, when he father was sent to prison the family feel into debt. When their father returned home he had become a mean violent drunk and he never reclaimed any power in the Yakuza or any of the wealth that went with that status.

As a young teen Tendo was bullied by her classmates and feel in with her older sisters gang. Tendo became a
Ainun Nazrin
It's actually 2.5*.
I have this idea that Shoko-san's autobiography is as interesting as Yankumi's in Gokusen (I know it's a fiction!). However I thought that her life will be kind of different than non-yakuzas - that she got proper training in self-defence or at least her father brought her up in yakuza education. But, none I could find in this manga. Maybe her book is different?
Dean
Dec 31, 2012 rated it liked it
The manga adaptation of Shoko Tendo's 'Yakuza Moon' is a pulpy, purple memoir that has little to do with the Yakuza and more a recollection of bad boyfriends and other such unsavory characters. Michiru Morikawa's artwork is excellent and the highlight of this one.
Sara
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was ok

I think I would like to read the full version of this, the manga version is all experience, no depth or description, or scene setting. The art is ok, but with such historically rich material to work with and build on it certainly could have been better.
Jul 05, 2015 rated it liked it
I started it expecting the usual memoir of a drug addict similar to Christiane F.'s Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof Zoo, but it turned out to be a lot more self-critical and sober than that. I finished it with a great deal of respect for the author.
Nur Hanifah
Umm....A real story which was full of description that you totally understood what was the situation was like, feeling,... all your senses come to live. I read it once and it really made a deep impression,I still can remember a number of parts in the book...read it 4 years back
Beth
Jun 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Quick read. Decent graphics. Engaging enough to make me want to read the original work.
Nina
Oct 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Great work for Manga fans. The artwork is brilliant! Though, if you are interested or want to find out (more) about Shoko Tendos life, I recommend to invest a little time and read the real deal! ...more
Martha
Mar 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very interesting autobiography. I'm always interested in Japanese books since I lived there.
Cosmin

• Shenzhen: A Travelogue from China
  • Looking for Jake
  • Midnight Radio
  • A Drunken Dream and Other Stories
Sean Michael Wilson is a comic book writer from Scotland. He has had around 30 books published with a variety of US, UK and Japanese publishers, including: a comic book version of A Christmas Carol ('Best of 2008, Sunday Times), AX:alternative manga ( 'Best ten books of 2010, Publishers Weekly), Parecomic (with an introduction by Noam Chomsky, his first contribution to a book in graphic form). He ...more