Start by marking “Masterpiece” as Want to Read:

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  7,308 Ratings  ·  795 Reviews
Marvin lives with his family under the kitchen sink in the Pompadays' apartment. He is very much a beetle. James lives with his family in New York City. He is very much an eleven year-old boy. After James gets a pen and ink set for his birthday, Marvin surprises him by creating an elaborate miniature drawing. Then James ends up with all the credit, and is expected to do it ...more
Audible Audio, 292 pages
Published March 30th 2010 by Turtleback Books (first published September 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Masterpiece, please sign up.

Wendy Because he was quiet and and reasonable, unlikely to make sudden movements or raise his voice. Page 7 at the bottom

Feb 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book out loud in the car while my friend, and fellow author, Kathy Whitehead and I drove across the Texas plains from Abilene to College Station.

The rhythm of the prose, the pacing, the language all come together to create the perfect read-aloud. I also want to add that there are some small bits of humor throughout that I think might be lost in silent reading. But Kathy and I found ourselves laughing out loud in dozens of subtle spots.

Well done, Ms. Broach! The story is surprising
Приобрела опасную привычку - закупать сыну книги "впрок", а то "вдруг не переиздадут". "Шедевр" подойдёт лет на 9-12, так что ему ждать ещё ой сколько, а я сегодня прочла с превеликим удовольствием. Книгу о дружбе жучка с мальчиком, о рисовании, Дюрере, Метрополитен-музее и коварном арт-преступнике с East 76th street особенно классно прочитать, только что вернувшись из Нью-Йорка, где ты жил на Восемьдесят третьей, в пятнадцати минутах от того самого музея.
Aug 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An engaging story that is part art heist and part The Borrowers with a dash of Metamorphosis. Both boy and beetle here are so sweet and endearing. I read this when I was pregnant with my son and it is one I would definitely like to share with him when he is older. A few parts of the art heist seemed a bit too neat and tidy and sometimes the jump from beetle world to human world was a bit discordant but overall I really enjoyed the story and loved out protagonists. Also has some of the best passa ...more
Lars Guthrie
Dec 10, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
E.B. White, George Selden. Sophisticated little animals. Manhattanites of yesteryear, with their glib savoir faire and urban obtuseness. Witty, well-chosen language. It’s counterintuitive that it still sells.

‘Stuart Little’ and ‘The Cricket in Times Square’ still do, thankfully. People just won’t give up on literate, if retrograde, children’s literature, because reading it, particularly reading it aloud, remains such a delight.

‘Masterpiece’ could have been published 50 years ago with hardly a r
Roxanne Hsu Feldman
The central story of Marvin and Jame's friendship and the art heist are tender/thrilling in turns. There is a problem with the pacing when too much time is spent on tangential details (too many lists of things that the beetles do or eat) or the beetle's lifestyle, for example, that turtle in the tank chapter does not move the plot along, does not come into play later in the story. Some trimming and tightening of the plot would have made this one of the better mysteries for children... but the te ...more
Rick Riordan
Nov 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While in Wichita Falls, I finished reading Masterpiece, by Elise Broach. A really fun read. Boy meets beetle. Beetle turns out to be a gifted artist. Boy and beetle help foil a major art heist. It's like a combination of Chasing Vermeer and Cricket in Times Square. Check it out.
Mar 23, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute story from the perspective of a beetle. Imagines his life in the kitchen cabinet of a New York apartment, and his friend with the boy who lives there. Turns out, Marvin (our beetle friend) is a fabulous artist, skillful enough to imitate the greats. Thus begins an art theft adventure, with Marvin venturing further from his home than ever before.
Old-fashioned (includes some illustrations), cool art element, appeals to lovers of the borrowers. Engaging, nonthreatening and sweet. Worth booktal
Penny McGill
This book was wonderful in so many ways - we all just loved it. It was fun to read aloud and we couldn't wait to see how it ended. The story takes a very strange turn so it was tough to read it and not stop over and over to say things like "What is going on NOW?" and that made it even more fun. We needed a pause button on my voice, if that were at all possible.

Saying this book is about a boy with a beetle for a friend is really not enough. It has the beauty of Charlotte's Web in it because the i
Masterpiece is the story of a boy and his beetle. Eleven year old James lives with his mom, stepdad and baby brother in an apartment on the Upper West Side of NYC; Marvin the beetle lives in the wall behind their kitchen sink. Through remarkable circumstances, James and Marvin end up as friends helping to foil a great art heist. This great read aloud gives us peeks into several worlds: that Roald Dahl world of clever children with adults who don't always pay attention; the beetle world in which ...more
The book had an interesting main character. His name was Marvin and he is a beetle. He is a nice, kind, and helpful little creature. He wanted to help one a boy by painting a picture for him. Little did he know but that picture will lead him to a mystery. It was a pretty fast read and I do recommend it for artist lovers and mystery lovers. But it was not the best mystery book I have read, and I have read a lot.
Sarik Shah
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jan 03, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art-fiction
This is a delightful book. The first few chapters were lacking in originality (similar to The Borrowers and Stuart Little), but the author moved beyond that into something creative. I read Terry Pratchett's books about tiny beings, and they were so blatantly derivative of The Borrowers that I couldn't even enjoy them; not the case here. (I also decided that there are some situations that just come naturally when you're talking about tiny creatures in a world of humans. Just as human parents warn ...more
Jackie "the Librarian"
Marvin is a small black beetle who lives in James' family's house. He and his family live in hollowed out rooms behind the kitchen sink, and keep the plumbing and wiring in repair to prevent a handyman from discovering their existence.

Marvin likes James, who is a decent kid, and feels sorry for him, because James doesn't get much attention from his remarried mom, who's more interested in selling expensive Manhattan apartments than him.

So when James gets a pen and ink set from his father for his
Apr 02, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A very cute story. I wasn't sure I'd like a book about a boy and a beetle, but I did. I admired the friendship that develops between them. I also enjoyed learning about the artist Albrecht Durer and art heists. I had no idea there was such a thing as art stealing criminals!

I also appreciated the humor in this novel, such as the following:
"It must be Denny's mail, Marvin thought. He knew a little about the human system of mail, because Papa had explained it to him several weeks ago, when, tragica
Nov 17, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
This book is a charming concept, and a wonderful bridge for kids who like animal stories, but maybe need to get into literature a bit more. It was a read aloud to my 8 year old, but would be an enjoyable read-to-self for a ten year old. There are lots of large words here, some of which need to be explained, but the protagonist is young and approachable.
On the surface this story is about a beetle and his family who live an apartment with the Pompaday's, most notably the ignored son James. A frie
May 06, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ages 9-12
Shelves: mystery
Masterpiece is about a boy, a beetle, and an art mystery. That's a pretty strange plot for a book, but it works out well in this story, which is very enjoyable and the pace keeps you reading until the end. Marvin the beetle lives with his family in the Pompadays' apartment. When James, the young boy who lives there, gets a pen and ink set for his birthday, Marvin stumbles upon it one night and makes an unusually good, detailed drawing. James finds out it was Marvin, and they strike up a unique f ...more
Aug 24, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I were leaning toward recommending to a child a mystery/unlikely friendship story that also features a healthy dose of art history, I will allow my eyes to scan a few shelves past 'J Fic Balliett' and go for this one instead. It's a difficult premise to pull off--a beetle the size of a grain of rice befriends an 11-year old boy and they are both drawn into an art-theft intrigue involving Albrecht Durer (sorry for the missing umlaut)--and the author does it charmingly. I only wish that Durer h ...more
Ruth Ruiz
May 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ele-495a
This YA Fantasy book was a pleasant surprise. I was immediately engaged in the first chapter which was titled "Family Emergency". This book is about a family of beetles who live in a wall in the Pompaday's apartment. Marvin, a beetle, begins a friendship with the Pompaday's son James. I love how the story starts out very innocent with a beetle and his family just watching the day to day activities of the humans whose apartment they live in. Then to my surprise it turns into an adventure and myst ...more
Kristen Lo
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
While most kids chapter books that I like are set in some fantasy/surreal world with their own rules, Masterpiece is set in reality (ok, despite the fact that a beetle and a boy become friends). It's a fun story with twists that I didn't see coming, doesn't patronize its reader, and it's messy-- divorced parents, kid with no friends, etc.-- so it was a nice introduction to my son that life can turn out well even when it gets complicated. I can't wait to read Ms. Broach's other work with my boys.
Louis Galligani
Dec 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a really good book! I love the aspects of friendship and suspense that happen in this book. Also the ending was exciting and unexpected. I would recommend this book to people who like suspenseful books with an exciting plot. This book reminds me of The Tale of Despereaux because in both the books a small animal befriends a human, and experiences the human world. Overall this is a book with good story line that keeps the reader on the edge of their seat waiting to see what is happening ne ...more
Shevani Srinivasan
by Elise Broach
This unique fantasy novel is about a beetle named Marvin who has an amazing talent for art. He lives with his family in secrecy with a family who has a boy named James. Find out what happens when James takes Marvin to an art museum, will Marvin be back home safe? The book was suspenseful when Marvin revealed that he drew the painting to James. The book has a creative plot and upturning events. The book is appropriate for middle schoolers who enjoy fantasy novels.
Cheryl Klein
Dec 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book displays all of the virtues of a really well-written novel for children in the classical mode: an interesting story that shows young readers more of the world; simple, elegant writing; a child character who does things, doesn't just think about them; wisdom in its telling. A wonderful book.
Aug 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very nice mystery with some interesting themes neatly woven into the story. Two youngsters, one a human named James and the other a beetle named Marvin join forces to prevent an art theft. Along the way they become friends, overcoming Marvin's inability to speak or write human. Both learn a lot about themselves and their abilities and form a lasting friendship.
Aug 12, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was really 3 1/2 and Walt liked it just fine, I just found it somewhat pedestrian. I did appreciate learning more about Albrecht Durer, but I think some of the detail about art and museums and art theft went over Walt's head. Still it was a fine read aloud, just nothing special.
Emma White
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Masterpiece is an amazing book. It's about a boy who finds a cockroach in the cabnit who can make a picture that looks like a familiar painter or artist picture.
Oct 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

A very unusual book, it has everything you will need to love this book.
Stephanie Schneidewind
Drew and I are living this!
Aug 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I starte reading this book with my 6 year old daughter. It challenges her and it has created a curiosity for art. The interweaving of art and history made this a joy for me as well.
Rose Ann

Read with my son for a family book club.

Cute story.
  • The Puzzling World of Winston Breen (The Puzzling World of Winston Breen #1)
  • Greetings from Nowhere
  • Powerless (Supers of Noble's Green, #1)
  • Diamond Willow
  • Knucklehead: Tall Tales and Mostly True Stories of Growing Up Scieszka
  • Wild Things
  • One-Handed Catch
  • Extra Credit
  • Emmy and the Incredible Shrinking Rat (Emmy, #1)
  • Brendan Buckley's Universe and Everything in It
  • The Birthday Ball
  • The Gollywhopper Games
  • Heart of a Shepherd
  • Travels of Thelonious (Fog Mound)
  • The Case of the Case of Mistaken Identity (Brixton Brothers, #1)
  • The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg
  • Neil Armstrong is My Uncle and Other Lies Muscle Man McGinty Told Me
  • The Girl Who Threw Butterflies
Elise Broach is the New York Times bestselling author of children's books including Masterpiece, Shakespeare's Secret, Desert Crossing, Missing on Superstition Mountain (the first book in the Superstition Mountain Trilogy) as well as several picture books. Her books have been selected as ALA notable books, Junior Library Guild selections, a Publishers Weekly Best Children's Book, a New York Public ...more
More about Elise Broach...

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Fractured
  • Never Smile at Strangers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Where Eagles Dare
  • Alone
    $17.99 $2.99
  • Moriarty (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Idaho
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Dead Letters
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Phantom (Alexander Hawke, #7)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Moving Day
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Man-Eater: The Life and Legend of an American Cannibal
  • Smoke
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unrivaled (Beautiful Idols #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Secrets of Southern Girls: A Novel
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Dorchester Terrace (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #27)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Flower Net (Red Princess, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Grave Tender
  • The Cabin
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Bones of Paris (Harris Stuyvesant, #2)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Before I Go to Sleep
    $8.24 $2.99
  • When You Reach Me
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Pretty Little Things
    $4.49 $1.99
“A person's birthday should be a special day, a wonderful day, a day of pure celebration for the luck of being born! ” 69 likes
“A great friendship was like a great work of art, he thought. It took time and attention, and a spark of something that was impossible to describe. It was a happy, lucky accident, finding some kindred part of yourself in a total stranger.” 22 likes