Start by marking “The Loom and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
The Loom and Other Stories

The Loom and Other Stories

The nine short stories in this collection reveal a moving portrait of three generations of Japanese-Americans trying to fit themselves into the fabric of American society. The author writes: "I wandered ghostlike amidst the mainstream of America, treading unaware of the cultural amnesia inflicted on my parents' generation by the internment and the atomic bomb."
Poignant, h
Published September 1st 1991 by Graywolf Press

To ask other readers questions about The Loom and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Loom and Other Stories

Start your review of The Loom and Other Stories
Robert Adams
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful evocation of life in America as I was growing up with images and rhetoric of “Japs” as the enemy.
Heather Ingemar
All I can say after reading this book is "meh." I felt "preached at" in most of the stories -- as opposed to "right in it." There was no sense of urgency or immediacy to each of these tales -- maybe calling them "anecdotes," or "memoirs" might be a better fit than "stories." There really wasn't anything to this book. It read a lot like newspaper clippings, although the three later stories were the brightest of the collection (though still mediocre at best).

It saddens me to give such a lackluster
Rojo
Sep 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Another book for one of my classes, but this had me pouring my heart and soul out in the papers that I had to write. The relationship between the daughters and their mother, the life of the girls as third-generation Americans, everything, reminded me of my life now (technically I'm second-gen, though). It is a great book if someone wants to "explore" how others feel about being in America and belonging to two cultures.
Rtamura
Aug 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Ruth Sasaki captures the lives of the Japanese American living during WWII
Her descriptive writing style helps the reader realize many of the conditions faced by the characters she writes about
I history repeating itself once again?
Kris
Nov 17, 2017
Helena
Nov 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
Read for my college English class. Pretty good books with heartbreaking and inspirational stories.
Joanna
Michael J.
Jan 05, 2016
Samantha
Feb 27, 2017
500 Great Books B...: The Loom and Other Stories - R. A. Sasaki 1 10 Jul 15, 2014 03:08PM

• Which Way?
  • Home
  • The Inker's Shadow
  • Drawing from Memory
1 follower
R.A. Sasaki is a third-generation San Franciscan. She attended the University of Kent in Canterbury, England, has a B.A. from the University of California at Berkeley, and an M.A. in Creative Writing from San Francisco State University. Winner of the 1983 American Japanese National Literary Award, she has had stories published in the "Short Story Review" and "Making Waves: An Anthology of Writing ...more