Start by marking “Olive, the Other Reindeer” as Want to Read:
Olive, the Other Reindeer

Olive, the Other Reindeer

(Olive)

Olive is merrily preparing for Christmas when suddenly she realizes "Olive... the other Reindeer... I thought I was a dog. Hmmm, I must be a Reindeer!" So she quickly hops aboard the polar express and heads to the North Pole. And while Santa and the other reindeer are a bit surprised that a dog wants to join the their team, in the end Olive and her unusual reindeer skills ...more
Published October 1st 1997 by Chronicle Books (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Olive, the Other Reindeer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Olive, the Other Reindeer

Calista
The artwork reminds me of Picasso. The faces are like the famous painting ‘Guernica’ only happy. Olive is a dog who helps Santa out one year. She is listening to the song ‘Rudolph the red nosed reindeer and realizes it says ‘Olive the other reindeer’. She figures she must be a reindeer and heads to the North pole.

I love that little piece of this story. She mis-hears a song and it changes her world view. How often to people hear different lyrics. I do it all the time.

I remember everyone talking a
Mariah Roze
Dec 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book had great illustrations and a great, creative story line. My students really enjoyed the book :)
Eva Leger
Dec 04, 2010 rated it liked it
2.5 - This is pretty cute in a few ways. First, the illustrations really help the story along because Olive is just too darn cute. Second, her hearing "All of the other reindeer", yet really hearing "Olive, the other reindeer" makes the story so much fun to read. We both cracked up when I read that part.
How Santa fixes the whole 'dogs can't fly' thing is just awesome. Everyone's seen illustrations of reindeer flying, it's in all of our brains, but who has ever seen the reindeer flying through t
Amanda
Aww! This is such a cute little book. It would make the perfect book to read, on Christmas eve while putting the little ones to bed.
Christine
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Feb. 3, 2019

Silly, funny, a little heartwarming: Olive is a well-meaning but confused pup during the holidays. She mistakenly believes herself to be needed on the reindeer team. I don't have it handy, and will need to re-read before commenting further (lest I write a spoiler!).

My son chose this book at a Scholastic Book Fair at school, in first grade, and loved the humor and illustrations. He gives it 5 stars (still, when consulted today at age 18!), and I give it 3, so we're averaging it to 4.
Dewey
Dec 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Where has this book been all my life? Holy adorable, man...Olive hears a Christmas song on the radio and realizes that she must have been mistaken thinking she was a dog, otherwise why would people be singing about "Olive, the other reindeer?" She goes to the North Pole to help Santa deliver presents and ends up saving the day multiple times.

The beginning few pages are a little wordy for a younger group of kids, but the pace picks up quickly, and I think storytime groups would LOVE this book.
Kathryn
Dec 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a fun story about a little dog named Olive who mishears the classic Christmas Rudolph song, "Olive, the other reindeer..." and thinks, wow, I must really be a reindeer. So, she goes to the north pole to help Santa. And help she does, in her own doggie way! :-) Very cute and fun story but the illustrations were not exactly my cup of tea.
Matthew
This book is definitely not a strong 4 star rating and I do not feel like wondering if it is a 3.5 or more but I am being generous considering the television special ruined this book. I remember as a kid I saw countless times every year the wonderful Olive, the Other Reindeer that had Drew Barrymore and since I never read books as a child I didn't know this tv special was adapted from a book. I have to admit while the animation for the special may look weird, the plot was 100 times better than t ...more
Candice
Dec 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Sophie - when she is older
Shelves: picture-books
I read this as a Tumblebook. Check your library's web page to see if it offers Tumblebooks. These are books that you can read online and they are delightful! This is the story of Olive the dog who, when she hears Christmas music thinks that "All of the other reindeer..." is really "Olive, the other reindeer." Olive sets off for the North Pole to help Santa deliver Christmas gifts to all the good little boys and girls. Along the way, her special talents come into play and she makes sure that Chri ...more
Mary Drew
Dec 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 2 to 5 year olds
Recommended to Mary Drew by: illustrations caught my eye
11) Walsh, V.; Seibold, J.O. (1997). Olive, the Other Reindeer. San Francisco: Chronicle Books.
(Ages 2-5) While singing “Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer,” Olive hears the words: “Olive, the other reindeer,” and knows she must help Santa with his sleigh. Even though she is only a dog, Olive really does save the day, using the special talents only dogs have. The colorful, blocky illustrations are what caught my eye when choosing this book. The story is bright enough to be an antidote to the usual
Gretchen
Nov 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: christmas, pre-k-elem
Unfortunately, I wasn't as impressed with this book as I'd hoped to be, or as other readers seem to be. I found the illustrations to be a bit strange and not soft and cozy, which is how I think of Christmas. It also doesn't have a ton of logic (I can see kids questioning), in that there is mention at dogs can't fly, and a "solution," yet no mention of the fact that reindeer usually can't fly either. I think the cutest part of the book is the title and the "mis-heard lyrics" behind it.
Tracy
Jan 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, christmas
When we first received this book, I didn't think much of it. But after numerous readings, I realize that it has stood the test of time. We pull it out every Christmas and enjoy the quirky illustrations and the funny story. We notice new things every time and laugh at the things we remember. It also has a good message that everyone can find a place to help.
Kim
Nov 11, 2009 rated it it was ok
I didn't like this book very much. I found the illustrations unattractive and I didn't much care for the story. I wanted to like it, because a very dear friend gave it to my child, but I just couldn't like it.
Beth  Cade
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
The students always love this Christmas tale!
Alex Lee
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
amazing
Aaron Toponce
Meh. It was cute, but obnoxious. How convenient that every mishap along the way was perfectly suited for a dog! I much would have appreciated a story about a bully reindeer named Olive that teased Rudolf, etc. etc.
Christine
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Its a good thing that Olive decides to join Santa on Christmas Eve. Olive saves Christmas!
Maya
Nov 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: own-it
But she asks to read it over again
Vanessa Wright
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horses
Leave it to a Jack Russell terrier to save Christmas – and to give marching orders to Santa and his reindeer!

In J. Otto Siebold and Vivian Walsh's picture book, Olive, the Other Reindeer, a Russell (or Russell-lookalike!) named Olive mishears the line from the Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer song, “All of the other reindeer” as “Olive, the other reindeer,” decides that she must be a reindeer, and promptly takes two buses and reports for duty at the North Pole. Santa and the reindeer tie Olive to
Tracy
Jan 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebook, kids-lit
Not only is this a solid story and the illustrations pack the pages with a joyful style, but the book's thoughtful design is wall-to-wall. Instead of limiting their cheekiness to in between the title page and "The End," Vivian Walsh's and J.otto Seibold's combined charm pops up on the slip cover (check out the bios), the end papers, and even the bar code comes with a saucy message.

The story is another version of how an individual's differences can be valuable to the group even though their oute
Amanda Harrison
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Olive....the reindeer," said Olive, "I thought I was a dog. Hmmm....I must be a reindeer!"

Odd little story that includes the typical 'oh no, we must save christmas' trope so common in kiddie books. Still the little dog is cute and the reindeer get bonus points for tying a dog to their sleigh to help fulfill his dreams. Luckily for them, the dog turns out to be helpful.

Final note, I had no idea before doing this review that this book was also a christmas special....Do not be dismayed this book h
Round Lake Area Public Library
Olive was in her dog house wrapping presents for Christmas when a song came on the radio. Olive misheard the song and sang “Olive, the other reindeer” instead of “All of the other reindeer” so she realized that she must be a reindeer and if she is a reindeer she must report to the North Pole to help Santa Claus. She makes the journey to the North Pole and even helps Santa save Christmas.

This is a really cute story that shows that with a little magic you can do anything that you set your mind to.
Kaethe Douglas
4/19/1999 Truly, it is not a book. It is, however, based on one of our favorite Christmas books.

Merged review:

2008 December 7

This is a family favorite. I like Seibold's style a lot, and the plot is amusing. We even have an Olive advent calendar.

***

2012 December 1

We had to do a re-read before we set up the Olive Advent calendar. We love this book, still.
Jordan Turner
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love this book and it's illustrations, will always be one of my favorites. Even the title itself has a cute play on words, this is a great Christmas time read. The story is about a dog who hears a Christmas song on the radio and then sets out on a funny journey. Kids love this book because of the goofy dog.
Donna Mork
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Olive the dog hears the Christmas song and thinks it says Olive the Other Reindeer. She thinks maybe she's a reindeer and reports to Santa to help take the sleigh. They tie her on and she comes in handy by chewing sticks, retrieving gumdrops and flutes, and finally leading them home through the fog--her nose led her to Mrs. Claus's cookies.
Ruth
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Just no.
Viviane Elbee
I love the humor in this book & the silly dog Olive is totally adorable.

The kids laughed while I read it.

I'd recommend it for the Christmas holiday season.

It may run a bit on the long side, text wise, so it's probably better for older preschoolers and young elementary students.
Alysia
Dec 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute little story, not really any plot but it's a picture book so you can't expect one. I'm giving it 4 stars based on my five year old's opinion of it. She's a fan.
Kaitlyn Biecker
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Childhood memories

I remember the made for tv movie on Cartoon Network! Had to get the book to go along with it 💖
Annie Cole
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Quirky, cartoony illustrations; sweet character and storyline; oodles of Christmas spirit.
  • Olivia Helps with Christmas
  • Auntie Claus
  • Santa's Favorite Story
  • Russell's Christmas Magic
  • Merry Christmas, Big Hungry Bear!
  • Max's Christmas
  • Mooseltoe
  • Room for a Little One: A Christmas Tale
  • Snowmen at Christmas
  • Bear Stays Up for Christmas
  • Santa Claus the World's Number One Toy Expert
  • How Santa Got His Job
  • I'll Be Home For Christmas (Toot & Puddle)
  • A Pirate's Night Before Christmas
  • My Penguin Osbert
  • Great Joy
  • Corduroy's Christmas Surprise
  • The Night Before the Night Before Christmas
American artist and children's book creator. With no formal art training, he was able to sneak into the art world during the "outsider art" craze of the 1990s. His book Mr. Lunch Takes a Plane Ride, published by Viking in 1993, was the first children's picture book to be created with digital media. His 1997 book Olive, the Other Reindeer led to an animated television special of the same name.

His a