Start by marking “Revenge (Travis Mays, #1)” as Want to Read:
Revenge (Travis Mays, #1)

Revenge

(Travis Mays #1)

When a trained killer threatens ex-cop Travis Mays - and those Travis loves - he finds a skilled adversary and an unexpected fight.

Travis Mays starts a new life and a new career, teaching criminology at the university and building a cabin in the idyllic Idaho Mountains. He hires a beautiful river guide, Jessie White Eagle from the Nez Perce tribe, to steer him safely throu
Nook
Published February 11th 2011 by Mark Young

To ask other readers questions about Revenge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Revenge

Kimberly
Check out my blog for more reviews:

One of the reasons I'm happy that I finally started this book blog, and that I'm getting more and more review requests by authors I've never heard of, is because I am reading a lot of novels that I never would have looked twice at. I have never been interested in crime, mystery, or suspense novels, but by accepting review requests I've realized what I have been missing out on by not expanding my reading to a wider variety
Sharon
Jul 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any reader loving a good mystery or police drama.
Recommended to Sharon by: Author requested review
Building his cabin near the Clearwater River in Idaho, Travis Mays hoped for solitude, peace…renewal. A cleansing of his soul. Yeah, right. And just how does an ex-cop wash the darkness from his past when he holds himself responsible for the brutal death of the woman he loved?

He doesn’t. Can’t.

Not immersing himself in the criminology classes he teaches at Washington State University. Or plunging headlong into the bracing white water rafting he’s enlisted guide Jessie White Eagle to help him conq
Nike Chillemi
If you want a surprise ending, as in one you really can’t figure out no matter how your try — even if you create charts and graphs — then Mark Young’s debut novel, REVENGE is for you!

Travis Mays, a former northern California police detective now teaching criminology in college, is trying to escape his painful past. The guilt of having sent Michelle Scarborough, a beautiful snitch to her death — the woman he loved.

Five years later when visiting his weekend/summer cabin on the Lochsa River in Idah
Cheryl
May 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After an incident five years ago, Travis Mays hangs up his police uniform and relocates to the Idaho Mountains. There Travis teaches at the university on the topic of criminology. Travis hires Jessie White Eagle to guide him down the river. It seems that no matter where Travis escapes to, he can not escape trouble. Jessie’s brother, Tommy is missing. Jessie’s father is the police chief. He asks Travis for his assistance. It seems that with Travis’s past comes an enemy who is stalking him. Who wi ...more
Sharon Michael
Feb 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the better mystery/thrillers I've read for awhile. Good character development, fast pace and tightly plotted. Good sense of the setting, obvious knowledge of Native American background and law enforcement as well as western water rights problems, which often does not happen with books set in the modern west. Since I lived most of my life in that general kind of setting, errors in location/character/background will turn me off a book very quickly. It was not detailed, but what was there wa ...more
Deborah Lloyd
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My review

Excellent book. Could have used a bit more proofreading. The end was a little bit of a let down. Didn't quite get the Christian angle. Should have been more thoroughly expanded.
Cathy Cole
First Line: Raindrops splattered the windshield as Travis Mays raised his binoculars.

When an investigation goes horribly wrong, Travis Mays walks away from a highly successful law enforcement career and builds a new life. Now a professor of criminology at a university in Washington state, he likes to spend time in the cabin he built in the mountains of Idaho. Travis is even learning the fine art of kayaking from river guide Jessie White Eagle of the Nez Perce tribe. But when Jessie's brother goe
Julie
May 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-books
When the woman Travis Mays cares about is murdered, he blames himself and gives up his career as a detective. He moves to Idaho, to a cabin along a river where he is completely disconnected ~ no phone, no pager, no computer. But when Travis decides to take a kayaking lesson on the river with Jesse White Eagle, a beautiful Nez Perce guide, he suddenly finds himself right in the middle of a new case that he was destined to be a part of.

In Revenge: A Travis Mays Novel, Mark Young weaves a thriller
Katy
Jul 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Katy by: Coral Russell
Shelves: ebook
Please note: I read in Feb. 2012 from a free copy provided by the author. It was not exchanged for a review, but I wrote one anyway.

My Synopsis: Travis Mays worked for the Santa Rosa police department in California – he was one of the their best investigators. Then he became involved with Michele Scarborough, one of his confidential informants, and when she is murdered, something breaks inside of him. He turns in his badge, moves to the Pacific Northwest – where he splits his time between WSU in
melydia
Nov 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Travis Mays walks away from his life in the police force after a sting operation ends in tragedy. He moves from central California to middle-of-nowhere Idaho, where he teaches criminology at a Washington university to fund his life as a recluse in a small cabin. One day he signs up for kayaking lessons; his guide is the lovely Jessie White Eagle, a Native American of the Nez Perce tribe whose brother has recently gone missing. What follows is a rather twisty tale of murder and deception. I under ...more
Cheryl
I was contacted by Mark Young who found me at the Goodreads website. He asked if I would read and review his book. I gladly told him I would. Thank you so much Mr. Young for sending me your book to review! It was excellent!

Travis is teaching at a University but gets asked to help out with a murder investigation. He doesn't want to get involved. He is a former cop and didn't want to go back into that that field. Things happened that made him change careers. Even though he doesn't want to be a par
Shanella
Jun 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-pub-review
Just when you thought you figured it all out, you’re thrown for a twist.

Revenge follows ex-detective, Travis May. As bodies keep piling up the clues all seem to point to the case that caused Travis to leave the force. As they rush to figure out who the killer is, Travis is faced with the ghosts of his past.

I loved this story from the beginning. First off, I love a good mystery and Revenge delivered on that. Even though I thought I had it all figured out, the author threw a curve ball in the en
Kim (Wistfulskimmies Book Reviews)
This is the story of an ex-detective haunted by the decisions of his past. He is now a professor of criminology living in virtual seclusion in a cabin in the woods on a Native American reservation. Now the past is creeping up on him and threatening those he loves and holds dear.

This moved along at a slow pace but never flagged. The story unfolded at a steady rate. There was always plenty going on as we learned more about the development of the back story of Travis' past as the story went on. I l
Jim
Feb 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel was hard for me to rate. On my own scale it would be somewhere between a 3 and 4 star rating. The first 75% of the novel moved quickly and the last quarter kind of dragged. I do appreciate he avoided one of the traps that annoys me about the genre - characters doing things that a physically improbable. As this is the first in his series about the main character - Travis Mays - he sets the back story for him. He does create characters you can care about.

I did have a problem with the vi
Joyce
Jun 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Travis Mays is a former cop, turned college Professor. He is teaching criminology in Washington State and living in a cabin he built in Idaho weekends. He turned in his badge because a woman he cared about, a CI, was murdered when sent back into a situation where he did not want her. Jessie White Eagle is a river scout and guide whose father is the local Indian Police Chief. She brings Travis into the case when her brother disappears. The plot encompasses a Casino, snipers, academia, procedural ...more
Lynnette Phillips
Mar 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3/12/11 Just downloaded a sample at Smashwords~Love the sound of the synopsis!

3/15/11 As FDR would say GRAND!
Michelle was more than a confidential informant (CI) and then she was gone and Travis, still haunted by nightmares, was starting all over. Now he spends most of his time either at the cabin he built on the Clearwater River, Idaho or teaching criminology at the University.

For five years he’s stayed away from police work. Now Jessie White Eagle’s brother’s body has been found on federal la
A Book Vacation
Sep 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Random thoughts prior to full review.

Long, long, long, but good. Very well done, though a little choppy in terms of transitions here and there. Overall, the story was a great mystery and the characters were all very likable. I figured out who the main killers were fairly early on, but even so, it was still great. I think it could have been shorter though. There were about three times that I thought the novel was about finished only to find I still had a ways to go.
Tara C
May 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though an indie author, Mark Young makes an average everyday Joe blend in well with his more-than-average surroundings. Only $2.50 on amazon.com! Definitely worth it! Looking forward to his next O'rourke novel. Off The Grid was definitely a great book & possibly a better read than Revenge. I'm keeping this guy in my sights. (Pun intended).
Rob
May 30, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to love this book and it started out quite well. But the plot was overwrought with implausible connections obviously manufactured to make it more complex. And then the climax was ruined with one of those scream-at-the-tv moments where the characters cannot see what is so obviously in front of them. Still a decent read, just not a fave.
SimyCat
May 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I very much enjoyed this book. Characters were done well. The author made me see the scenery in the book. The story held my interest and has turns and twists. I would label this book a thriller and who done it. It held my interest and kept me turning the pages. A truly good read. I would recommend and look forward to reading more from this author. Great book/story.
Jeannie Walker
Feb 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a very good book. I like suspense and this one definitely has a lot of anxious uncertainly about what may or may not happen. The places in the book are accurately described and actually do exist. Mark did a great job of keeping readers from figuring out who the bad guy is. Good job, Mark!
Avid Reader
Feb 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great suspense book!! I am usually good at knowing who the bad guy is, and why they are bad in any given novel, yet this one kept me guessing until the very end. The technical information was fascinating and it kept me up at night, as I could not put it down. Great author! I can't wait until his next book comes out.
Donna Huber
It was a great introduction to what possibly is a series. The characters were likeable and the action wasn't too predictable. I did figure it out with about 30 pages or so to go. Full review at Girl Who Reads .
Paula Wiseman
First off, I am really out of practice reading police books. :-) Mark has delivered a great debut, with an intricate, multi-layered plot. (Keep up with the details!) I loved his hero, Travis Mays and the unique setting and cultural backdrop that almost became a character itself.
Karen
Feb 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was able to get this book free on my kindle and was very impressed with it..Will definitely be reading more books by this author..The book was a very well written,suspenseful mystery/thriller..Highly recommend it!!
Melanie Melancon
Revenge

If a story is one that I can't wait to get back to, that story is a five star story. Revenge is one of those. The plot is believable, the characters are likeable, and the action is non-stop. This is a roller coaster ride with a truly surprising ending.
Vondraya
Mar 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A male friend recommended this novel. I thought it would be too macho for me, but I loved it. Lots of twists and turns.
Erin Gilmore
I enjoyed this and would read more by this author.
Kelly Gressley
Aug 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the suspense in the book.
Naplespeg
Jun 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this as a download to my Kindle. Enjoyable, quick read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Reluctant (Crayder Chronicles #1)
  • Model Agent
  • The 24th Letter (Sean O'Brien, #2)
  • Neon Dragon (Knight and Devlin, #1)
  • The Fallen (Derek Stillwater, #3)
  • Never Back Down
  • The 19th Element (James Becker, #1)
  • The Undertaker
  • Irrefutable
  • A World I Never Made
  • Zero Sum, Entire Trilogy Bundle (Dr. Stephen Archer Cross, #1)
  • My Blood Runs Blue
  • Wrecker
  • In Memory of Greed
  • The Past Never Ends
  • Echoes
  • Shake Down (Jack Davis Mystery, #1)
  • Hell's Diva
Mark Young is a former police officer with the Santa Rosa Police Department in California for twenty-six years; an award-winning journalist; and a Vietnam combat veteran. He served with several law enforcement task force operations, including the presidential Organized Crime and Drug Enforcement Task Force targeting major drug traffickers, and the federal Organized Crime Task Force charged with id ...more