Start by marking “Risky Chance (Horse Diaries, #7)” as Want to Read:
Risky Chance (Horse Diaries, #7)

Risky Chance (Horse Diaries #7)

4.35  ·  Rating details ·  296 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
For all lovers of horses and history, it's the next book in the popular Horse Diaries series. Born in California at the start of the Great Depression, Risky Chance is a gray thoroughbred who was born to race. Life at the track and being spoiled by his jockey's young daughter, Marie, is all Chance could ask for. He loves nothing more than running fast and winning. But after ...more
Published September 13th 2011 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Risky Chance, please sign up.

Kelsi Yatimah and Elska have outstanding drawings in them, you should check out Ruth Sanderson she does a lot of drawings for books including Farley's…moreYatimah and Elska have outstanding drawings in them, you should check out Ruth Sanderson she does a lot of drawings for books including Farley's books. :)(less)

Abigail
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This "Horse Diaries" book is written by Allison Hart and illustrated by Ruth Sanders. It is about a Thoroughbred named Risky Chance. Risky Chance is a racehorse. The book is told from his perspective of things. There an unfortunate event that takes place that turns his racing career around. This book is very interesting. It is a good way to learn how a horse would think and how their opinions are formed.

Luckily for Risky Chance two people came back into his life as they were before. This book k
great ending
Lacy
A story from the horse's point of view set during the Great Depression. I learned about the existence of 'Hoovervilles.'
Linda
Sep 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horses
I adored this volume of the Horse Diaries series. Risky Chance is a thoroughbred colt born in the 1930's and bred to race. He has heart and drive and talent, and he tells his story from the time he races his playmates up and down the fence as a yearling through his career as a race horse. Not everything that happens to a race horse is glory and roses, and author Alison Hart doesn't mince details when things take a wrong turn for Chance. But this book is extremely suitable for young readers while ...more
Caroline
Jun 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started this book and finished it in 45 minutes. While it's an easy read, I believe Hart does the best job out of every Horse Diary book in regards to capturing the horse's emotions. Risky Chance, the star of the book, reminds me a lot of two very significant horses in my life who happen to be Thoroughbreds. Native Cash and Maraschino Cherry. Cash was an ex-racehorse, and Chino is the girl I work with now. This was a good book and a truly sad but heartwarming read!
Elizabeth
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These books are really cute and fun to read. I also enjoy the history that they share within the books. My daughter enjoys horses, so I'm glad we can get some history for her to enjoy along with the cute stories about horses.
Mary
Jan 05, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought it was a really cute story especially for young readers. I never really got into the whole series, just kind of chanced upon this one. I lost interest and had trouble getting into it at first, but once I did I enjoyed it.
Alexis A.
this book was great
Meredith
This was a very good book. I had never known just how hard the racing life was for horses.
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
good book! well written and engaging.
Kristi
My son loved that this story was narrated by the horse :)
Rachael Covington
Jun 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Osum
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very fun and engaging book.
Zizi
extremely sad, yet fascinating.
jillian n.
Umm... so I read this one mainly for reading challenge count purposes, but it's actually one of the better books in the Horse Diaries series. 3.5 stars.
May 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an amazing book!
Karen Brown
Jul 23, 2014
Hailey Fenner
Feb 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Black Cloud (Horse Diaries, #8)
  • Yatimah (Horse Diaries, #6)
  • Maestoso Petra (Horse Diaries, #4)
  • Golden Sun (Horse Diaries, #5)
  • Comeback (Canterwood Crest, #15)
  • The Missing Pony Pal (Pony Pals, #16)
  • Buddy (Dog Diaries #2)
  • Dark Horse (Starlight Animal Rescue, #4)
  • Wonder's Promise (Thoroughbred, #2)
  • Galloping Gold (Phantom Stallion: Wild Horse Island, #11)
Alison Hart is a pseudonym for writer Alice Leonhardt

A Virginia author of over twenty mysteries and historical fiction novels for children and teens, loves “writing books that keep young readers glued to the pages.” At the age of seven she wrote, illustrated and self-published The Wild Dog, a book which she shows to readers to make the point that it is never too early to be an author.
More about Alison Hart...

Horse Diaries (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Elska (Horse Diaries, #1)
  • Bell's Star (Horse Diaries, #2)
  • Koda (Horse Diaries, #3)
  • Maestoso Petra (Horse Diaries, #4)
  • Golden Sun (Horse Diaries, #5)
  • Yatimah (Horse Diaries, #6)
  • Black Cloud (Horse Diaries, #8)
  • Tennessee Rose (Horse Diaries, #9)
  • Darcy (Horse Diaries, #10)
  • Luna (Horse Diaries, #12)