Start by marking “Weathercock” as Want to Read:
Weathercock

Weathercock

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  28 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Weathercock. The name evokes flames and chaos, and a mythic hero who will one day change the world. Young Kinner - betrayed by those he loves and sentenced to die - knows only one thing: in a world where women hold all the power and men are nothing but property, heroes are hard to come by.

Determined to find a life on his own terms, he flees execution only to discover he kn
Published January 31st 2011 by Tortuga Loca

To ask other readers questions about Weathercock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Weathercock

Emi
It's not very often that I find myself at a loss for words when starting a review. Normally, I have some sort of witty comment or cute exclamation to describe what I thought of a book. But this time, I got nothing. Zip, zilch, nada. Why? Because Melissa Crandall’s Weathercock has, in a way, left me too stunned for words. So I’ll just jump into the review.

Weathercock takes place in a fantasy world similar to our own. Even though I would like to classify it as a medieval-based fantasy, it’s is not
Donna
Aug 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The author, Melissa Crandall, sent me a copy of Weathercock for review and I was more than happy to check it out. I'll start by saying what I didn't like about Weathercock, because it's such a small thing compared to all of the many, many aspects of this book that I absolutely LOVED. Okay, here goes….I absolutely do not like the title. I think it’s probably my aversion to that particular word, even though this time it is referring to a rooster, I still just don't like the title.

Now, with that be
Dan Forward
Mar 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Categories are useful. One would not look for philosophical works or literary criticism in the increasingly large “Calendars” section of a book store. If you tell a clerk “I’m in the mood for a scientific treatise on snails,” he’s not going to point you to the romance shelves. “Fantasy” is often given its own area away from “Fiction.”
I feel deep pity for the shopkeeper who has to try to imprison Melissa Crandall’s Weathercock in a category. I believe it would fight its way out rather quickly,
Joanne
Mar 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
While weathercock is not the type of book I usually would read, after my husband had started to read it each night would he give me snippets of the story line and how different it was from other fantasy books he is such an avid reader of, I usually don't bode well with the names of fantasy lands and characters, give me a bob or jane and thats all I can handle, so I picked up this book not expecting to love it as much as I did. The characters were amazing I fell for all of them and felt like I kn ...more
Ellen
Mar 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
absolutely fabulous. Good strong female characters in a well-thought-out story. A wonderful change from the male-dominated adventure fiction of Conan and that dude who hangs out with the Gray Mouser . . . . . I am SO looking forward to the sequel. (Not to put any pressure on the author, but I'd like it fairly soon. By Christmas at the very least . . . .) Would make an excellent choice for a book group to read & discuss.
Patrick
Nov 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Melissa Crandall has an incredibly assured voice for an independent author. This, no doubt, comes from her time writing tie-in novels, and her skill with prose is really on display here.

One of the biggest areas where I felt Weathercock could have used improvement was in the editing phase. I would have loved to have seen what an editor at a larger publishing house could have done with the book, from refining some of the language, to helping with the novel's internal timeline, to simply removing s
Meels
Jun 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
To begin with it was like that George R.R. Martin thing where each chapter jumps you to a new group of characters and completely different situation having nothing to do with those that came before (Though not nearly to Martins extent of detail, multitude of characters and total confusion...thank the Weathercock!). In fact, the character introduced in chapter one doesn't appear again until somewhere around chapter 15 or more (I don't actually have the book with me at the moment). This isn't my f ...more
Jim Mastro
Apr 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
In Weathercock, Melissa Crandall has written a rousing adventure, with a unique twist: What would a world be like if women were the dominant gender and men were smaller and weaker and considered only good for household chores and procreation? And what would happen if some people wanted to change that?

Crandall has peopled her story with sympathetic and believable characters, and her skill at developing these characters and making them "breathe" is superlative. Even minor characters are developed
Eric
Feb 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Ms. Crandell does a great job of weaving a world that is (for this man) almost impossible to perceive - a world where woman are the dominant - and dominating gender. This in itself makes Weathercock a fascinating book for me, making me challenge my perceptions of the world. The book makes you question gender roles, pre-conceived notions of gender-based personalities and the corruption and violence that absolute power brings, no matter which set of chromosomes wields it.

All that said, Weathercoc
Kristal
May 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Kristal by: First Reads
First off, got this through the First Read's program and may I say that I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book.

Despite the weird name that this book holds, I am more than glad that I chose to partake in it's giving away and even more happy that I was allowed to win it.

The plot was well throughout and I must say I was hooked by the end, wishing for a second book to find out what happened to all the characters that I have come to love while reading this book. However, despite there not being a c
Star
Mar 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
WOW!!! From the first words to the last, Weathercock captured my mind and heart. Ms. Crandall has created a world run by women (not so bad, right?) where the men are only responsible for breeding children and not much else. They're not considered intelligent enough to hold a job or make decisions - they are essentially property. In this world, fertile male children are few and far between, so they are highly prized - but put to work as a stud until they are worn out and even more "useless". The ...more
Reese
Mar 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Gritty and heartfelt adult "fantasy" novel. No elves, no dragons, but a fully realized alternate world in which women hold all the power and men are chattel. Great characters! You'll be drawn in from the first page.
Pwoolsey
Apr 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Weathercock, made me laugh, cry and kept me on the edge of my seat! My whole family read it! Each of us agreed on one thing, we want MORE! I hope to see a second Weathercock in the future! Excellent book!
Shadow
Jan 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is very enjoyable! Talk about hooking a person! This book has made its rounds. Not only did i read it, so did my brother, cousin and grandma. I now have passed it to a friend and shes enjoying it as well! Very good book! You should give it a try!
Roberta Pyzel
Got right into this story from page one; very strong characterizations - dynamic plot: LOVED IT!!!

Looking forward to more stories from MC!!!
Erika
Jul 20, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011, fiction, fantasy
Unfortunately not a fan of this book. Full review to come.
Jason
Samantha
Magdalena
Sharlena
May 16, 2011
  • Blood of the Dragon (Blood of the Dragon #1)
  • The Ghost in the Crystal (School of Ages, #1)
  • Shadow Man (Prince Andy and the Misfits, #1)
  • First Spell: Book 1 of the Bayou Witches
  • Progeny (The Children of the White Lions, #1)
  • Darkstar
  • A Time of Blood and Fire
  • Mishap & Mayhem (Mishap, #1)
  • Griffin Rising (Griffin, #1)
  • King's Envoy (Artesans of Albia, #1)
  • Hindsight (Mira Chambers #2)
  • The Mumbo Jumbo Circus (Mumbo Jumbo Circus, #1)
  • Bewitched in Time (Salem Moon, #1)
  • Shrouded Secrets (Shrouded Secrets Chronicles, #1)
  • Eon's Door
  • A Dragon's Awakening (The Chronicles of Kale, #1)
  • Mammon: Dark Rift Rising (The Callahan Chronicles #1)
  • Entangled
About 20 years ago, I had the opportunity to spend four hours with an Asian elephant named Belle, and her keeper Roger Henneous. That occasion changed my life in ways I never anticipated, and led to the writing of my latest book, THE MAN WHO LOVED ELEPHANTS. The manuscript is complete and with my agent, Bonnie Solow, and will soon be submitted to publishers. Stay tuned for more news!

I cut my amate
More about Melissa Crandall

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Darkness Brutal (The Dark Cycle #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Marked (Servants of Fate, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poisonwell (Whispers from Mirrowen, #3)
  • Rama II (Rama, #2)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Secondborn (Secondborn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Rama Revealed (Rama, #4)
  • Sacré Bleu
    $8.24 $12.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Red Wyvern (The Dragon Mage, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Time's Edge (The Chronos Files, #2)
  • Brazen (Gilded #3)
  • Everyone Knows You Go Home
    $5.99 $1.99
  • (R)evolution (Phoenix Horizon #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Girl in the Shadows (Cirque American #2)
  • How to Train Your Dragon
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99