Start by marking “O Quinto Mandamento (John Rain, #2)” as Want to Read:
O Quinto Mandamento (John Rain, #2)

O Quinto Mandamento

(John Rain #2)

John Rain só quer desaparecer para sempre. Mas um antigo némesis no FBI japonês quer que ele lhe faça um último favor: eliminar um assassino que mata sem remorsos e usa métodos semelhantes aos de Rain. Há demasiadas coisas em jogo - inclusive a vida dos poucos amigos que Rain tem e, especialmente, a vida de uma paixão do seu passado. Protegê-los implica mergulhar no meio d ...more
Published April 25th 2011 by Saída de Emergência (first published July 14th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about O Quinto Mandamento, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about O Quinto Mandamento

Andrew Smith
Feb 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second in the series of books featuring John Rain, the America/Japanese soldier turned freelance assassin. This time Rain is up to his neck in a complex web featuring an underground fight club and a collection of some of the most unpleasant characters you’ll ever wish not to meet.

You’ll have to keep your wits about while it plays out as a multitude of interlinking characters created, for me, a foggy plot. But Tokyo is brought alive and a few more layers are peeled off the John Rain
Jim
I liked that it was set in Japan & apparently was accurate both geographically & in many other instances. Rain is a fairly interesting character. I enjoyed it, but it's pretty much another assassin thriller & I guess not terribly memorable. I had this marked as having read it once before. Must have been some time ago as it was all new to me.
Daniel
Jul 17, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full disclosure: I could accurately be labeled a 'gorehound' when it comes to movies. Give me viscera and splatter realized through practical effects, and I will crow with happiness. I've lost count of how many times I gave a resounding YES! in the middle of movie theater while others cringed from the gory spectacle on screen (the last time was during, oh yes, "Prometheus").

All of this said, there were moments when "Hard Rain" disturbed me.

I'm not sure what it was. I have read gobs of scenes in
Eric_W
Feb 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Listened to this audiobook, read by Dick Hill who does a terrific job with pronouncing Japanese. At least it sounds authentic. Not having any clue, I wouldn’t know, but the perception of authenticity is as good as reality. And, of course, I’ll misspell all the names.

Eisler recreates an authentic Japanese world and culture, at least the seamier side -- apparently, as again, I have no experience with reality. But then, the book is a chimera, and creates a duality from contrast of Japanese culture
Tracie Payne
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
John Rain is a bad ass. Good series.
Mar 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: challenge
John Rain has left Tokyo and is contemplating giving up his role as an assassin when the head of the police asks him to do a job, which leads to another favor - kill another assassin. This new target is highly dangerous and it seems the few friends John has left are wrapped up in the danger.

I listened to the audio version and it's well done. The author is the narrator and seems to know a lot about the Japanese language and culture. Because I find that subject interesting, it doesn't bother me t
Lance Charnes
Dec 31, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the series, fans of espionage stories
The second installment of Eisler's John Rain series offers more of the same, but less. The hit man-antihero is once again embroiled in the corruption and crime omnipresent in Eisler's portrayal of Japan, once again caught between yakuza on one hand and the CIA on another, and once again finding inventive ways to kill the people who become threats. There is much double- and triple-dealing, skulking about in dark shadows, and conspiracy enough to spare. This is the good stuff.

Where Hard Rain falls
Zoe and the Edge
I liked the scenarios and Rain himself better in this one. The writing is overall more intense. Rain uses everything in his box of tricks. He doesn't mind acting like a fool or suffering a little humiliation if it gets the job done. He's not uber-cool all the time. He's direct and doesn't put on unnecessary airs. His assessment of danger and opponents is logical and focused from a lifetime of experience. His ability to be such a normal person means that one of his greatest assets is that people ...more
Dave
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-have
This is a really great read. I highly recommend it. If you haven't read
the first John Rain thriller, " A Clean Kill In Tokyo,," I advise you to
open that up first. It gives a lot of background as to who Rain is, who
Harry is, and who Midori is. This book picks up where the first leaves
off. John Rain is an a former Vietnam War commando who grew up in
both Japan and in the states. He is also a deadly assasin. The book
details his life underground and the links from his past that lead him
out int
Melissa
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lonely Indeed

Great book. Great story. Great characters. All as usual. This one made me sadder than his others, justifiably so. Enjoyable, action packed and informative read, also as usual. Just more melancholy. Glad he is picking his own titles now.
Clark
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama
Another good one in the John Rain series, although I've been reading them out-of-order. I read this one under the name "Hard Rain" and it is #2 of the John Rain series. I've now read #1 through #4. Back on track as #5, The Last Assassin/Extremis, is next.
João  Jorge
Jun 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
John Rain is a hard character to like. Hes a cold, calculating, killer for hire. Hes a bit of a paranoid. Hes basically someone you wouldn't want to meet!
Barry Eislers writing is also sometimes hard to enjoy. Hes in love with Japan and takes you on a tour. You read about subway stations, train stations, streets, the characters use japanese expressions which are then translated to english. It gets tiresome and annoying fast.
With all this its surprising just how compelling this book is. Rain is
Leftbanker
Feb 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
The big plot thing just sort of bores me which is why I hate James Bond and Jason Bourne. Why does everything have to be some huge geopolitical maneuver? Whenever the story started hashing out the “Crepuscular” (rhymes with Treadstone) angle my eyes started rolling back in my head and I couldn’t wait for another action scene. For my tastes the more complicated the plot the stupider it is.

He is much too casual with killing in these first two books. Rain murders a CIA agent in full view of another
Jon
May 30, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
The publisher backed at least 5 John Rain books for publication, and this one has a high enough Goodreads rating that I feel like I missed something.

At one point, a cop and John Rain are talking. The cop asks Rain if he knows what "pride fighting" is.

Normal conversational answer: "The mixed martial art? Sure."

Book answer: "Sure," I said. The Pride Fighting Championship is a mixed martial arts sport, based in Japan, with televised bouts held every two months or so. The idea behind the so-called
Kellie
#2 of the Rain series- I am definitely on the fence on this one. First, the good things…Eisler is a master at describing fight scenes so that it’s almost like watching it on a TV screen. He walks thru moves like a color commentator. I enjoy reading about Japan, it’s culture, the language. You would think the author is a native. He is American. What bothers me is what happens with a lot of authors who write series. They don’t give recaps about the history of the series. This is frustrating for th ...more
Larry
Jan 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having reread "Rain Fall" (2002), the first of the series of six novels, I've finally gotten around to the series. "A Lonely Resurrection" (international title is third in the series (Rain Storm" in the US, I think). John Rain, the child of a Japanese father and an American mother, grew up in two cultures, but was never a part of either. Largely as a result of that isolated state, he has worked as an assassin, though one with rules (no women, children, or collateral targets). Having created a ne ...more
Harry
All right, so I appear to be hunting for a specific character: from Jack Reacher (Lee Child), to Jonathan Quinn (Brett Battles), onto John Rain (Barry Eisler). From ex military, to cleaner, to assassin.

How do we as readers gain empathy for a killer? Simple enough, join John Rain in his voyage from assassin for hire to conscientious killer (kill bad guys) to wanting to get out of the business...but unwilling to leave his perspective of the world (no worries, this transformation takes place acros
Kenny Bellew
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is book 2 of Eisler's John Rain spy series. It's 352 pages, rated 4.09/5.0 and I rated it 4.0. I really like the pace of this book. It's just the right mix of story to action. The story is set in Japan and has the added benefit of discussing a lot of Japanese culture. In the story, John is tasked with eliminating a really bad and cruel criminal. Along the way, people in his life are affected by his work in a way that causes John a lot of internal struggle, so we watch John long for a normal ...more
Horizon
Aug 14, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second John Rain book and the action keeps on rolling. I love the John Rain character, a half American half Japanese killer for hire disillusioned by his time in both cultures. He is a realist and a killer, yet has not lost his humanity or a deepset sense of justice. I really enjoyed how this book piggybacked the end of the first in the series and continued to follow the loose ends left in the first book. The thing that stands out the most for me in Eisler's writing is the descriptive nature ...more
Hastings75
May 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second book that I have read in this series and this novel did not let me down after a great first novel.

John Rain remains the quintessential assassin who manages to protect his anonymity, kill the bad guys, work out who those bad guys are, slowly building a group around him that he trusts - all while finding time for the odd romantic liaison!

Eisler has created a great character in John (and Tatsu - love that relationship) and I personally am glad I have the next 4 novels in the series awaiting
Eliot Peper
Dec 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Lonely Resurrection by Barry Eisler is a delightful, gritty espionage thriller set in Tokyo. This is Eisler's second novel starring John Rain, an ex-CIA agent turned assassin who specializes in "natural causes." Eisler himself is ex-CIA, an expert martial artist, and lived in Tokyo for many years. Personal experience gives his page-turners a sense of reality that never ceases to mesmerize me.
Neil Plakcy
Mar 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read all the Rain books under their original titles and didn't realize I was re-reading for a while. But that didn't matter; John Rain is such an intriguing character and the books have such a strong sense of place in Japan that I just kept on devouring the book. Sometimes the political stuff gets a bit much for me, but the writing is just beautiful.
Julie Davis
#38 - 2010

More about assassin John Rain. Tied up some more loose ends while dishing out more about life in Japan, however, also dishing up more violence and some graphic sex (which I could have done without but I suppose is du rigeur for a book like this). I do enjoy his friendly adversarial relationship with Tatsu though ...
Leon Mare
Sep 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent book by Barry Eisler. His meticulous research and attention to detail is more than just impressive. The plot is intricately woven, and there are some devious minds at work here. I would hate to have Mr. Eisler as a chess opponent.
Denise
Jul 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012, own
This was the book through which I discovered this great thriller series years ago, so I really enjoyed reading it again. Every bit as good as the first in the series and recommended to everyone who likes the genre!
Skip
Mar 30, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
I liked this book better than the first one (Rain Fall.) The plot was more interesting, and resolved one of the threads from the first book. Also, Eisler began to show more of the protagonist John Rain's inate goodness. Does a nice job of making Tokyo come alive too.
Mike
May 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second John Rain book, it was slow getting started, but really took off about a third of the way in, with the customary violence and some extra romance.
Faye
I can't believe I enjoy reading a book about an assassin. But he does have scruples. Good read.
William Stone
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Lonely Resurrection made a pretty good follow up to the first John Rain novel, A Clean Kill in Tokyo, but I don't know if this book was as good as the first. There was something compelling about the first novel where it felt like an assassin for hire rethinking his life and maybe looking for an out by trying to help someone with the unfortunate conclusion that he couldn't get out. At least not yet.

The second novel picks up a little bit after the first book where he is finally deciding that he
Keri

March 2019
3 Stars - I liked it
Audiobook

Review for books 1 & 2 of the John Rain series
A Clean Kill in Tokyo & A Lonely Resurrection

First off, let me say how annoying I find it when authors narrate their own books. Mr. Eisler isn't the worst audio narrator I've heard but he also isn't anywhere near the best. A narrator can often times make or break an audiobook.

Anyway, I found myself enjoying these books. They consist of assassinations, spying, martial arts type fighting, sex, politics, m

• Jim Knighthorse Series: All Three Books
  • The Deceived (Jonathan Quinn, #2)
  • White Ninja (Nicholas Linnear, #3)
  • The Orpheus Deception (Agent Micah Dalton, #2)
  • With A Twist (Jack Daniels Mystery, #8.5)
  • Sensei
  • Pandora's Succession (Ridley Fox & Nita Parris #1)
  • The Coil (Liz Sansborough, #2)
  • The Incumbent (Madison Glenn #1)
  • Running of the Bulls (Fifth Avenue #2)
  • Got Thrills? A Boxed Set
  • Second Skin (Nicholas Linnear, #6)
  • The League of Night and Fog (Mortalis, #3)
  • The Assassin (Tommy Carmellini #3)
  • The Game (Victor the Assassin, #3)
  • Sins of the Assassin (Assassin Trilogy #2)
  • The Plague Lords of Ruel (Lone Wolf, #13)
  • City of Lies
Barry Eisler spent three years in a covert position with the CIA's Directorate of Operations, then worked as a technology lawyer and startup executive in Silicon Valley and Japan, earning his black belt at the Kodokan International Judo Center along the way. Eisler's bestselling thrillers have won the Barry Award and the Gumshoe Award for Best Thriller of the Year, have been included in numerous " ...more

John Rain (10 books)
  • A Clean Kill in Tokyo (John Rain, #1)
  • Winner Take All (John Rain, #3)
  • Redemption Games (John Rain, #4)
  • Extremis (John Rain, #5)
  • The Killer Ascendant (John Rain, #6)
  • The Detachment (John Rain #7; Ben Treven #3)
  • Graveyard of Memories (John Rain, #8)
  • Zero Sum (John Rain, #9)
  • The Killer Collective (John Rain, #10; Ben Treven #4; Livia Lone #3)
“I thought of an old poker players’ expression: If you look around the table and can’t spot the sucker, the sucker is you.” 6 likes
“People have rituals for communing with the dead, rituals that depend more on the idiosyncrasies of the individual than on the influence of culture. Some visit gravesites. Some talk to portraits, or mantelpiece urns. Some go to spots favored by the deceased during life, or mouth silent prayers in houses of worship, or have trees planted in memory in some far-off land. The common denominator, of course, is a sense beyond logic that the dead are aware of all this, that they can hear the prayers and witness the deeds and feel the ongoing love and longing. People seem to find that sense comforting. I don’t believe any of it. I’ve never seen a soul depart from a body. I’ve never been haunted by a ghost, angry or loving. I’ve never been rewarded or punished or touched by some traveler from the undiscovered country. I know as well as I know anything the dead are simply dead.” 3 likes