Start by marking “Basher Five-Two” as Want to Read:
Basher Five-Two

Basher Five-Two

U.S. Air Force pilot Captain Scott O'Grady was shot down in his F-16 over Bosnia while helping to keep the peace. The plane exploded, and Captain O'Grady fell 5 miles to the ground below. In exciting detail, Captain O'Grady tells how he evaded capture and how, with little water and no food, he was able to survive on his own in enemy territory. This is a thrilling look at ...more
Published September 29th 2010 by Yearling (first published May 12th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Basher Five-Two, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Basher Five-Two

Start your review of Basher Five-Two
Catherine M. Boling
I remember this happening and being terrified for this naval aviator. I loved reading the book because it was recounted by O’Grady himself. It was an easy and enjoyable read and included how he survived for 6 days by eating such things as grass and ants. Poignantly, he described the angst he experienced, imagining how worried his parents and sister were after it was determined that his plane had been shot down. The story was factual and poignant at the same time.
Victoria
Apr 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the true story of a military pilot who was shot down into enemy territory. It tells how he survived for 6 days with very little food and water, how he avoided the enemy capturing him, how his faith helped him get through it, how his family did not give up hope, and how he was finally rescued. It is a heroic story full of adventure and interesting lessons on survival. My 14 year old son and I both really enjoyed it.
momma.hailey
Sep 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chapter-books
This is part of my 10 year old daughters History/Literature curriculum (Veritas Press 1815 to Present). I'm reading through the books with her for discussion.

Admittedly I wasn't looking forward to reading this. However, I was pleasantly surprised. I appreciated the explanations of military and aviation lingo in layman's terms. Now you could ask me about F-16's and military survival skills and I might be able to have a decent conversation!

Lastly, I appreciated the book length (a smaller chapter
Julie
Apr 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recently saw the movie "Behind Enemy Lines," somewhat based on the story of Scott O'Grady, who was shot down over Bosnia and evaded capture until he was rescued. I say "somewhat based" because in looking up the facts of the movie, I discovered Scott O'Grady sued over this movie because he said it was obviously his story, but inaccurate and portrayed him in a way he did not want to be portrayed. I was curious, so read his autobiography to learn the facts. It was interesting to learn that he ...more
Valerie McEnroe
In 1995, Scott O'Grady was a U.S. Air Force pilot patrolling the no-fly zone over Bosnia when his plane was hit by a Serbian missile. He managed to eject and land unharmed in enemy territory. For nearly a week he stayed hidden during the day and made slow advances at night, all the while evading the enemy and hoping to make radio contact with the U.S. military. When a pilot finally heard his call, a large NATO team of fighters and helicopters went in and rescued him. During the publicity storm ...more
A.E. Fuhrman
What a story! Basher Five-Two follows the true events of Captain Scott O'Grady's ordeal being shot down over Bosnian airspace during a peace keeping mission and the ensuing days leading up to and following his historic rescue. The story is all the more powerful because it is told in the first person by this military hero himself, allowing the reader to see and feel exactly what the survivor endured, including all of the feelings of desperation, courage, and enduring faith--both in God and in his ...more
Sharon
Sep 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a little older than the target audience for this book, but I was interested in his story. I'm impressed with his survival skills and I agree with him, that God brought him through that ordeal.
Alan Chen
Apr 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography, fun
A very good book, but it's definitely shown to be geared for kids. There is a definite and jarring disconnect between the passages that were originally written by the pilot, and those that have been dumbed-down by the coauthor to make the book readable for kids. The parts meant for kids are really meant for kids, because its here where O'Grady keeps coming across as one who is always in control, always calm, supremely prepared, and where everything in the world falls into a clear dichotomy of ...more
Michael Preston
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Imagine you have just been shot down and you have burns on your neck and face, but you have to keep moving the enemy's on there way, you have to evade them at all cost, to return with honor is your goal. This happened to captain Scott O'Grady, in his autobiography Basher Five-Two. This novel perfectly shows how language can change. At first he is this big hot shot F-16 pilots next he is shown as weak and vulnerable. It also shows conflict, by him hiding from the enemy who is looking for him. It ...more
Erica Honing
Nov 30, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Basher Five-Two by Scott O'Grady was an okay book. It wasn't on of my favorites but it was an incredible story. On thing is, is that there was a ton of vocabulary I wasn't to sure with.
This book is a true story about U.S Captain Scott O'Grady. He was shot down in his F-16 over Bosnia while helping to keep peace. His plane exploded, but he parachuted out 5 miles from the ground. In his amazing story he tells how he survived hiding, with barley water and no food, in six days, in enemy's land.
I
Dawn Roberts
Short, somewhat dumbed-down narrative of Scott O'Grady's survival and rescue after being shot down over Bosnia in 1995. Full of patriotic sentiment and the importance of working hard to succeed when you aren't a superstar. OK for upper elementary reading. Interesting perspective after reading Maybury's book about World War II and America's role as global cops. Is it worth American lives to interfere in another country's civil war?
Marija
This book is about an American soldier whose plane crashes in Bosnia during the Bosnian war. He must travel out of the forest to survive.

Antony: My parents escaped from the Bosnian war, so I've heard the 'refugee' stories, but I've never heard any stories from an actual soldier during that time. It was an interesting point of view, and an interesting subject.
Jeremy Smalley
Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book a lot because it was just amazing. All of the little details that the author talks about and how the rescue mission was a COMPLETE success is awesome. After reading it I realized that this is where the movie "Behind Enemy Lines" Spawned from.
Renita
Dec 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has fascinated class after class of students. I love read this one to them because it has such a realistic feel. Most students shy away from autobiographies, but this one grabs them hook, line and sinker!
Hannah
Dec 08, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Angie
Jan 14, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile-fic
Works on a "military true story with sone detail but still appropriate for the elementary crowd" (though they won't have a clue about Bosnia) but the writing is not the best. Lags in more than one place.
Ali C
Dec 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in just an hour.. it was excellent. He goes into great detail describing his F16.. Although not too much detail about the time he spent in hiding, I felt like I had more of his biography than anything. But I would definitely love to read his other book!
Chris
May 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember hearing of this incident on the news when it happened and that O'Grady was eventually rescued going into the book. Not as much action as I would expect from a work of fiction, but knowing this is a true story kept me glued to the pages. Very entertaining for a true story.
Courtney Marie W
Mar 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is intense!
Cyn
Feb 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young readers
Great for the younger reader.
Ruth Ann
Sep 05, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youth, biography
Great bio suggestion for boys!
Bonnie
Aug 18, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My son chose this for a book report and I read it with him. I think I enjoyed it as much as he did! Light, easy read but very interesting. A true hero.
Cody
Sep 23, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
i dont like this book i dont think there is alot of action in this book.
Lisa Smith
My boys (12 and 9) read this as part of their schoolwork and said it was a "page-turner." So that's a good review for a school book. :)
Greg D
Feb 25, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great autobiographical account of his ordeal - very entertaining.
Erin St
Nov 26, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was good for the interesting, nonfiction story of Scott O'Grady surviving alone. However, I disliked the way the author wrote this, and overall I did not think it was a very good book.
Torrest
May 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tatra
Mar 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow. When I first read this book it was just an adventure story made cooler by the fact that it was a true story. Now I read this and see how the universe was moving in this man's life and just wow.

• Alone at Dawn: Medal of Honor Recipient John Chapman and the Untold Story of the World's Deadliest Special Operations Force
  • Misty of Chincoteague (Misty, #1)
  • In the Company of Heroes: The Personal Story Behind Black Hawk Down
  • Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10
  • Nerves of Steel: How I Followed My Dreams, Earned My Wings, and Faced My Greatest Challenge
  • SEAL Team Six: Memoirs of an Elite Navy SEAL Sniper
  • The Fifties
  • If You Survive: From Normandy to the Battle of the Bulge to the End of World War II, One American Officer's Riveting True Story
  • Every Soul a Star
  • Inhuman (Fetch, #1)
  • Outlaw Platoon: Heroes, Renegades, Infidels, and the Brotherhood of War in Afghanistan
  • Point of Impact (Tom Clancy's Net Force, #5)
  • Executive Orders (Jack Ryan, #8)
  • Joker One: A Marine Platoon's Story of Courage, Leadership, and Brotherhood
  • The Quest to the Uncharted Lands (World of Solace, #3)
  • The End of the Wild