Start by marking “100 Plus: How the Coming Age of Longevity Will Change Everything, from Careers and Relationships to Family and Faith” as Want to Read:

3.36  ·  Rating details ·  146 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Humanity is on the cusp of an exciting longevity revolution. The first person to live to 150 years has probably already been born. What will your life look like when you live to be over 100? Will you be healthy? Will your marriage need a sunset clause? How long will you have to work? Will you finish one career at sixty-five only to go back to school to learn a new one? And ...more
Published August 23rd 2011 by Basic Books

To ask other readers questions about 100 Plus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 100 Plus

Emily Leathers
Aug 21, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone looking for a survey of ideas on longevity as a starting point for further thought
Recommended to Emily by: Auren
After the exciting endorsements, great introduction, and strong recommendation by a trusted acquaintance, I ended up quite disappointed by this book. I was hoping for an interesting and enlightening intellectual discussion of how our individual lives and society as a whole will change as our lifespans increase, but instead found a name-dropping overview of the field written from a strongly biased point of view that kept trying to masquerade as unbiased education.

In particular, I was hugely disa
Laurie
Oct 06, 2011 rated it liked it
I really wanted to give this book 3.5 stars because it made my imagination explode with all the possibilities of what the world could look like if life-extension were accessible to the masses. Arrison does a great job of explaining how we currently have the technology to nearly double human lifespans in a way that is easy for everyone to understand at the beginning of the book. Then she follows up with several thoughts and ideas about how this will change society touching on nearly every aspect ...more
Dav
Oct 28, 2011 rated it liked it
This is a pretty quick read; I got through it in merely 0.000054 of the days it suggests I may have in this life. She spends a few chapters quickly going over the reasons why it's not crazy to suggest humans may double their healthy lifespan (once again). After that, the bulk of the book runs through the effects such a lifespan may have on various aspects of self and society. While Arrison doesn't delve too deep into any particular area she does manage to consider a lot, from the economic to the ...more
Dan
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
This is a subject I'm interested in, and I read it because I wanted an optimistic counterpoint to the scenario posited in Postmortal, which I read this earlier this year. 100+ was okay - but I was looking for more of an in-depth examination of some of these topics. This isn't much more than a fly-by for the uninitiated. Are you unfamiliar with the topic of the societal by-products and consequences of the coming age-extension reality? Then check this book out for a decent primer. Then read Postmo ...more
Nick W.
Jun 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Great primer on the interesting problems that we will encounter due to the advances in anti-aging therapies. Focuses on moral, economic and societal issues. Very interesting and would be a good intro for people who are looking to get started in reading about such issues.
Dan
Mar 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
I share the optimism of Arrison regarding the near future of human life extension. It is an idea whose time has not yet quite come. Once it does, there will be much political pressure to fund research to bring about human life extension.
Masa Nishimura
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science
Her approach is similar to Michio Kaku. Just like his, I found her work very extensively studied. Many of the critics involve lack of in depth analysis. But this book is not for that purpose. It's presenting the future and its social implication from the existing trends. Of course, she needs to present wide range of topics. That sparks our imagination. Well done.
Pete
Aug 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
100 Plus: How the Coming Age of Longevity Will Change Everything, From Careers and Relationships to Family and Faith (2013) by Sonia Arrison looks at how likely dramatically extended lifespans are and what their consequences would be. Arrison is founder and is connected with Ray Kurzweil's Singularity University.

The idea of dramatically enhanced, or even indefinitely enhanced longevity is really interesting. It's physically possible, it's plausible and there is even a trend, that of increasing
Tara
Jun 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book might appeal to those who are already convinced that ageing is a worthy cause, but fails to provide a convincing argument for those who are yet to be sold on the idea. The book outlines a lot for research into life extension technology and seems pretty inspiring in this area, it does leave me feeling much more hopeful about the prospect of achieving radical longevity in the next hundred years. I came to this book looking for a more in-depth discussion of how radical longevity will affe ...more
Gregor
This book is a great starting point for anyone who wants a down-to-earth understanding of the anti-aging movement, and the prospect of human longevity. You will not find here any outlandish claims or daring predictions of when exactly this longevity revolution will start; but instead, you'll get an overview of the body of research being built up as we speak, that will lead sooner or later to the achievement of one of mankind's oldest and most desperate quest. You will also get reasonable predict ...more
Robert
Jul 05, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
100 Plus was a solid overview of the current state of the art in extended human longevity, as well as the potential impacts that longer lives will have on the earth and its inhabitants. One big impact that I hope extended longevity would have is that long term problems like climate change might be taken more seriously by a generation in power that might otherwise see it as unlikely to impact their lifetime.

I bought 100 Plus because it was recommended by Peter Thiel in Zero to One. A partial expl
Stephanie Weeks
I think this is a really important book that I completely picked up on a whim. I'm glad I did. This stuff is extremely relevant to us today at a time where the science for longevity is in desperate need of what Sonia calles "salesman" who are enthusiastic showcases of knowledge.

Chock full of information concerning how different aspects of culture will be affected by this notion of living longer. Incredibly fascinating read full of thought-provoking data. Author Sonia Arrison does a great job of
Ellen Keim
Nov 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
An interesting but not ground-breaking book about what it might be like if we could live to be 150. The subtitle pretty much sums it up: How the coming age of longevity will change everything, from careers and relationships to family and faith. The book fell flat to some extent because it was mostly conjecture. The author quotes plenty of "experts" but didn't add anything new to the dialogue. Most of this stuff the reader could have thought of on his own. Still, it did cause me to think about ho ...more
Senzanom
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
Not a lot of insight beyond what was in things like Wired Magazine (even at the time the book was released). I was expecting a bit more on the societal questions on how radical longevity might affect a modern civilization, and while these elements were certainty touched upon, it never went very far or posited anything interesting.

The writing was very accessible, to its credit, but it wasn't much of a read, and if you haven't gotten around to this one (by 2016) I wouldn't recommend keeping it on
Dvir Oren
Mar 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Having people live twice as long isn't going to be bad. and abundance! How awesome it'll be to live 150 years!? that'd be nuts :)

New technologies and progress in science are already providing us with ways to live much longer and healthier lives. As our life spans extend, this will have a huge impact on society and the way we approach our existence. However, humanity is creative enough and strong enough to deal with this, and we shouldn’t fear an aging, growing population.
Melinda
Apr 25, 2012 rated it liked it
The tile for this book was more interesting than the contents. The author's main question was "what happens to society if life spans continue to grow". For example, what will families, medical care and retirement be like if the average person lives 150 years. The breadth of the book made it feel more like a general survey rather than an in depth exploration of an issue. Personally, I'd like to read more about the family when someone lives 150 years.
Katherine Blocksdorf
Mar 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
I found this a very interesting look at the possibility of humans living beyond the age of 100. Because my husband was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease 6 years ago, I was particularly excited about the information on stem-cell research. The book was an easy read, not filled with scientific jargon that might leave a 'simple mind' searching for definitions. Well worth reading.
Stephanie
May 09, 2012 rated it liked it
I was very excited to read this book, but was somewhat disappointed. However, Arrison does make it easy for anyone who reads the book understand how we have the technology today to double our lifespan. But most of the book just shows the effect a longer life would have on our personal lives and society in general. Overall it was worth reading.
Tamara
Dec 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book was on a really interesting subject....but I found it really dry and hard to get through. Some of the scientific research was cool, but very dry to get through. Loved the chapters on family and money, it was really interesting to read how longer lives might affect us in that way. Overall, pretty boring but an interesting subject. I skimmed a lot of it.
Rachel
Jun 09, 2012 rated it liked it
An interesting analysis of longevity and related technologies and issues. There were some pretty big assumptions made and leaps in logic. I think, if you read it with a critical mind with the aim to question and think about the topics raised more than to learn real facts, then it's worthwhile.
Rolando Gill
Dec 26, 2011 rated it liked it
First few chapters the author talked about the advances and new thinking and strategies of longevity research. Then she spent the next two thirds of the book speculating on the societal ramifications of many old old people.
Jose Neto
Nov 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great. Second part a little confused.
Ann
Jan 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Expected so much more.
Jmp
Jul 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Lots of references to research & ideas. Food for thought & conversational
Carol Stewart
Jun 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Enjoyable book but I would love to have read a bit more content as to how longevity will occur.
Doug Allen
Mar 12, 2012
Andrew Thappa
Jul 13, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The $1,000 Genome: The Revolution in DNA Sequencing and the New Era of Personalized Medicine
  • More Than Human: Embracing the Promise of Biological Enhancement
  • The Making of a Surgeon
  • Here Is a Human Being: At the Dawn of Personal Genomics
  • Frankenstein's Cat: Cuddling Up to Biotech's Brave New Beasts
  • Facing the Intelligence Explosion
  • The Seasons of a Man's Life
  • Fabricated: The New World of 3D Printing
  • Singularity Rising: Surviving and Thriving in a Smarter, Richer, and More Dangerous World
  • The American Challenge
  • Your Brain on Food: How Chemicals Control Your Thoughts and Feelings
  • Building Mental Muscle: Conditioning Exercises for the Six Intelligence Zones
  • The Youngest Science
  • The Shock of the Old: Technology and Global History Since 1900
  • Resurrection from the Underground: Feodor Dostoevsky
  • Smarter Than Us: The Rise of Machine Intelligence
  • The Nature of Technology: What It Is and How It Evolves
  • Beyond Boundaries: The New Neuroscience of Connecting Brains with Machines and How It Will Change Our Lives

Nonfiction Deals

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99