Start by marking “Heir To The Everlasting” as Want to Read:
Heir To The Everlasting

Heir To The Everlasting

3.22  ·  Rating details ·  318 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
The Pulitzer-nominated author of EARL IN THE YELLOW SHIRT turns her acclaimed talents to an epic story of three generations of Southern women at Big Eddy, the home place they love. HEIR TO THE EVERLASTING begins at the turn of the last century with the beautiful, determined Pinkie Alexander, strong-willed matron of the Alexander clan. Come Hell or the high water of the sou ...more
Published February 4th 2011 by Bell Bridge Books

To ask other readers questions about Heir To The Everlasting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heir To The Everlasting

Robyn
May 29, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: kindle
I couldn't finish it. No descriptions, very dry and I didnt understand what was going on half the time.
Marty
Mar 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
While I really liked the first half of this book, I found the last part just pain boring. The first part moved along and was interesting in that it dealt with life in southern Georgia around the turn of the last century.
This is a story of the strong women of one family and ending with a great granddaughter. Life in the rural south is not always kind or easy especially during this time frame. The story was rich and well written, but by the end I was glad it was over as it seemed to get lost and
Carrie
Apr 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
Seemed like a lot of rambling, without really going anywhere. Found myself re-reading the same paragraph time and time again because I would get bored and my mind would wander on to other things. I hate to not finish a book, because I feel like I might miss something. So I finished it, but it wasn't really worth it.
Teresa
Jan 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful story. Describes the life of May Alexander born at the turn of the century on a large family farm in southern Georgia. It's a story of family, independent women and the men behind them, and of loyalty to a set of inherent values and love of home. One of the best books I've ever read! Highly recommended to lovers of southern fiction!
Katy
May 28, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
A very disjointed read. Some parts were great, others parts I only got through because I forced myself to continue. There were a lot of gaps, the storyline wasn't fluid and it took time to figure out what time period, what year, how much time had passed, etc., from one paragraph to the next at times. Glad I read it, but not one I'd recommend.
Judith
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five stars

Rural life in Georgia throughout the 20th century is vividly portrayed through one woman. May or little Pinkie tells her story and that of an entire culture in an unflinchingly honest manner. A worthwhile read for the history fans among us.
Gabby-Lily Raines
(Received Review Copy from Publisher)

4.5 / 5

I enjoyed reading Heir to the Everlasting and the glimpse it provided into the lives of the Alexander family. For this reader, the touchstone of the story is Big Eddy, the family plantation, and May Alexander Wetherington is the keystone.

Big Eddy is the touchstone because that is the family "seat" and makes the rest of the story possible. It is the kind of place that embodies the phrase "if only these walls could talk," although, in this case, it's if
Andrea Norton
Jan 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Heir to the Everlasting is a book set in southern Georgia and spans the twentieth century. The main character is May Alexander and the book basically tells her life story in two parts. The first half of the book details May's life and relationship with her maternal grandmother who is known as Pinky. Pinky is a high spirited,independent, non-traditional, take-charge woman. May is raised by her grandmother following her mother's death and becomes like a little shadow always close at her grandmothe ...more
Norma
Apr 12, 2011 rated it liked it
This richly detailed book covered several generations of strong women in the Alexander family. The story is set on a plantation “Big Eddy” in Southern Georgia. The plantation seems as much alive as the people.

There were times when the reading seemed to drag on a little bit, but then it would pick back up again. It reminded me of a course of a river. Where in some spots it seemed to trickle slowly then at other times it was gushing.

This was definitely an interesting book. It did take me quite a w
Mandy
Apr 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Family means something different to every person. The strings that bind us to others vary in strength, length, and color, but they pull us to some extent, nonetheless. In pullitzer nominated author Janice Daughtery's Heir To the Everlasting, we see the ties between the strong women of the Alexander family throughout their century long reign. Through marriages, deaths, births, trials, and triumphs, the women at Big Eddy continue on with a love and strength that not only allows them to continue on ...more
Janet Pedersen
May 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
What a delight! This is the story of a family in the deep south throughout the 20th century. From Pinkie, the matriarch of the family, through her sons, her granddaughter Little Pinkie (aka "Hon", the name she goes by throughout adulthood) and Hon's own granddaughter, we meet amazingly well-written characters whose quirks, surprises, and peccadillos are both hilarious and utterly accurate. This was a book hard to put down, and hard to put away when I was done. I couldn't recommend it more highly ...more
Rosemary Cantrell
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this novel - about generations of strong southern women. Pinkie, her granddaughter May and her granddaughter Sara Ann and their ties to the family plantation. There is a lot about life and living within the story of these three women. Not the least, it is from the women of a family that the strength really comes. I highly recommend this story about the joys, hardships, heartaches and dreams of these women.
Melanie Bridge
Jul 27, 2014 rated it liked it
I found the book a little slow at first, but then the longer I read it the more I got into the characters. The author has created a very realistic view of an old Southern Plantation in the early twentieth century. The story then flashes forward to the same plantation in the 1970's. It's a very interesting read and you come to care for the characters even if they main character is not very much like me at all.
Susan
May 15, 2011 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book, but wouldn't necessarily run out to buy another one by Ms. Daugharty. The characters were colorful, but the story line was a bit disjointed. I kept waiting for a transformation of some kind to occur for her characters, but there was not a lot that got resolved for them. Historically, however, it was interesting to follow the family and the matriarchs who held them together. Overall, a good summer read.
Nae
Mar 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Just about one of the best, best books I have read in a darn long time. The women in this book could have been from my family, my husband's family, they felt so darn familiar to me. I doubt any woman could read this book without seeing some part of themselves in these women. It doesn't hurt, either, that it, almost literally, takes place in one of my back pastures by description if not in reality.
Brenda
Feb 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Had a very difficult time following the format of this book. After the first thirty percent, I started enjoying the book, somewhat. It was very rich in detail, sometimes to the point of being confusing. If you enjoy the history of early south Georgia then you might enjoy this book. Just be prepared to put on your rubber boats so you can wade through the first part of this book.
Joanne Rollins Adams
Heir to the Everlasting

Pinkie is a unconventional woman for her time a who raises her granddughter while managing a large plantation. As the storyline continues the granddaughter repeates the same situation by raising her son's daughter. A story in we're life is repeated crossed generations. An easy read, entertaining.
Marilyn Chilcote
Apr 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: folks who like to read about the South
initially I was going to get this a foreign a half star rating, because there were places where it seemed to go a little slow for me. I think that probably had more to do with fatigue – because by the time I got to the end I was simply stunned by the writing. This would be great for reading group; great for a second read which is when I usually find the most significance in the book anyway.
Kathy
Sep 17, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very disjointed; it was several chapters before I could figure out the identities of certain characters. The book didn't seem to have a smooth transition from chapter to chapter; at times it was hard to tell which era we were in at the beginning of the chapter. I loved the story line but towards the end it seemed to drag on and on.
M.A. Lomascolo
May 26, 2011 rated it liked it
I got a bit worn out in the early section of the book. The child's perspective grew tedious for me. I was hoping for more from the get-go, and was disappointed, so it was hard for me to give the book a chance.
Becky Arundale
Nov 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: own-as-ebook
A thorough telling of an interesting time in history in the rural south. I especially enjoyed that the story focused on one woman's life throughout her entire life, I think this provided interesting perspective on womanhood, aging, and how ideals change.
Jenn
Mar 04, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
DNF. I could not get into this one. The multiple names for single characters was confusing enough, but some of the names were the same for multiple characters too. I just don't care enough about this to try and muddle through, so I give up.
Mary
May 08, 2011 rated it it was ok
Follows a post-modern format so chronology was a problem for me. I was never sure what was happening when. There were also lots of characters to keep straight. The main character was interesting and her relationship to her grandmother (who was around 40) was interesting.
Susan
Jul 23, 2011 rated it liked it
I liked the first half of the book once I got past the first few chapters. Almost too many characters to keep them all straight. The second half of the book just dragged for me.
Jennifer Hickman
Jul 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Love free Kindle books. This one was a richly detailed story of 3 generations of women in rural Georgia. It did lose momentum a few times, I found the first half to be the best.
Michelle
May 09, 2011 rated it liked it
I love free books on Kindle. Set in rural Georgia, this story was a look into the main character's life. It lost momentum a few times, but it was worth reading (and the price).
Jeni
Apr 29, 2011 rated it it was ok
Slow at times, and hard for me to get into. I had a hard time staying interested but it was at parts a good read.
Elly
Nov 29, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books
Part one of this book was very promising, then it started to get very boring, with no point to the story.
Misfit
Free on kindle right now if anyone is interested.
Leanne
May 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. I'm from the area she rights about. I think many South Georgia families can relate.
  • Beyond the Bougainvillea
  • The Wild Sight
  • Bound by the Heart
  • The Walled Garden
  • The Mudlark

Back on Goodreads and back to writing, and hopefully publishing.
I need my fans, old and new, to boost my confidence, as I start over again.
The reason for my long absence can be chalked up to...well, life!
I have a large family and most live on our property, in South Georgia, Cow Creek Farm. No, we don't farm, and no, we no longer have cows. The name is derived from a creek called "Cow" that flows t
More about Janice Daugharty

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
  • We'll Always Have Paris: Stories
  • The Hidden Flower
  • Greyhound
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Take Two (Above the Line, #2)
  • The Heart Mender: A Story of Second Chances
  • Where We Belong
    $5.99 $1.49
  • Cashelmara
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
  • The Sisterhood of Blackberry Corner
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Gates of Rome (Emperor, #1)
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things