Start by marking “Old Hat, New Hat” as Want to Read:
Old Hat, New Hat

Old Hat, New Hat (The Berenstain Bears Bright & Early)

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  1,976 Ratings  ·  89 Reviews
Illus. in full color. "Out shopping, the Bears look at frilly and silly hats, bumpy and lumpy ones. Offers slapstick humor and simple concepts of sizes and shape."--School Library Journal.

From the Hardcover edition.
Published February 9th 2011 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Old Hat, New Hat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Old Hat, New Hat

David Sarkies
Nov 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
The old is sometimes the best
18 November 2013

This is an attack against the crass consumerism of our age and how the good, faithful, and familiar are at times better than the wonderful new item that is blasted by advertising logos that are constantly splattered across our vision. The story is about how a young bear, wearing his favourite hat, is wondering through the city and sees a beautiful new hat in the window of a hat store and decides that he wants to get rid of his old tatty hat in favour
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
The kids love this book, and actually, so do I! I wouldn't mind getting some more of these.

I don't really remember this series of books from when I was a kid, though the bears and style of illustration do look familiar. Can't say if I ever read this when I was a kid, but it's lots of fun and thankfully, one of the few books I honestly don't mind reading over and over again.

The text is very plain - just "new hat" "tall hat" etc, but you can flesh out the story very easily by adding to the narrati
Tyresha
Dec 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
‘Too big, Too small’. This book introduces children to different shapes and different sizes. Mr Bear is looking for a new hat because his hat is raggedy and old. He enters a hat shop and tries some on with wonderful different colours and patterns but nothing seems to quite take his fancy until…

The book looks at a situation that the children can relate to for example going shopping and gets them to think about what they like and being able to give their opinions or make their own decisions on ce
Kristen
Dec 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
I rated this one a 5 because I think that's what my almost 2-year-old would rate it if he knew how! He loves loves loves this book. And not just in the toddler way, where they want the same book over and over until they find a new one that they want over and over - this one keeps coming back. I think one of the reasons is that "hat" was one of his first words, so he can "read" along with this book. But he also likes the balloon hat, the silly hat, etc. This is a fun, enjoyable book, and uses lot ...more
SaraLaLa
Jun 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
In Old Hat, New Hat a Berenstain Bear walks into a store in hopes of buying a new hat. While shopping, the reader gets exposed to a slew of adjectives and silly pictures of a variety of hats. In the end, the reader gets to see that new isn't always better.
T.Kay Browning
Oct 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Millie Taylor
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorites for a first reader. My daughter loved this book as a toddler and still enjoys it at ten. It never gets old.
Erica
This is a classic from my childhood. I read it to a 3rd grade class today where few of them had ever seen it. In this story, of very simple beginner reading words, a bear is looking for a new hat. He is CURIOUS about trying on many hats and seeing what will work best for him. He was OPEN MINDED in trying them all on and seeing what they looked on him before deciding. He gains APPRECIATION for something he already has after all the time he spends looking. Can you guess what it is?
Mrs. Downs

Decent book.
Kal-El XZavier
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Memories! This used to be a favorite when I was growing up. Kal-El enjoyed it too.
Alexrob2012
“Old hat new hat” that’s a good book, its so good that I read it again recently. That book had a few things that I like, like rhymes rhythm and detail. Things like that really make a book or story interesting.

First the rhyme, it was very well thought out. I like the way they combine the rhyme with the details/adjectives. “Too big, too small.” Perfect combinations in a children’s book. And it just flows with the rhythm.

Second the rhythm; I like the rhythm because it just keeps you flowing with th
Connie
Jul 23, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the earlier Berenstain Bear books, and it shows. Despite the cover, the bears on the *inside* of this book are less stylized and cutesy than the bears in the newer books, and the story is an early reader instead of a longer read-aloud.

It's a cute little story about a cub suffering from "grass is greener" syndrome, but unable to decide which hat to get. Eventually he decides his old one is perfect - you saw that coming!

There are only a few words per page, with a basic vocabulary, s
Stephany Hensley
Dec 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This is a cute story of a young boy bear who wants a new hat. He goes into the store with his old hat This is a book intended for k-2nd grade, as a Bernstein bear book. This is a colorful picture book, that has a dominant theme of teaching kids to appreciate what they have. I rated this book well because it was a cute way of showing children to appreciate certain things, as small as to your hat. This child wanted something new, as do ,any children. Although they have tons of toys they want more, ...more
Carlee Yardley
Nov 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My number 1 favourite book to read to the kids is Old Hat New Hat! The text is so predictable and they love reading along. "Too big, too small. Too flat, too tall." And maybe because it brings back fun childhood memories. It was always one of my favourite books, along with Are You My Mother! I may be slightly obsessed with old classic children's books and if I can get my kids to like the books I used to like, then I get to relive them all over again!
Luz
Mar 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: feelings
Great story It reminme at my dad. He has a blanket that he love. The poor blanket is see through. We had tryed to get him a new no such luck. That is what this book remind me. He feels so confortable with that blaket why getting a new one.

Extencion:
Have the children ask their parents if they have something that is very old
and they stull have it.
Sep 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-caden
This is a book straight out of my childhood... complete with a story about me reciting it from memory to a lady who was waiting for a square dancing partner as I looked at her and, in my three year old voice said, "Of course you realize I don't actually read". 32 years later I still can't get enough of "Too fancy too frilly, too shiny too silly".
Salima Hart
This was a cute book about a kid going into a shop looking for a new hat. Although there are little words, there is a numerous story that children can follow. The shop owners find new hats, big hats, small hats, fancy hats...all kinds of hats. In the end, the child decides that she loves her own hat and leaves without buying anything. This is a great story that can be used to teach opposites.
Jones Family
Sep 26, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anybody who wants to read it
Recommended to Jones Family by: Stephen
Shelves: sam
Old Hat, New Hat is a very good book. There is a bear and he has a very old hat so he is sad. He sees a new hat and he likes it. He goes and tries the hat on. THen he finds just right of a hat - the old hat.
Professor
Apr 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: clams
Ordered this from my library network sight unseen and, when it came in, realized it was a childhood favorite (and the cause of my love of hats? Maybe.) My son seems to really enjoy it and I enjoy reading it to him.
chucklesthescot
A bear is trying on a pile of hats and driving the shopkeeper crazy by rejecting them for every reason under the sun. I loved the pictures of the frustrated bear and the irritated shopkeeper! Kids will love this one.
Anna
Dec 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Probably my all time favorite book from childhood (either this or "The monster at the end of this book!). And when I was little I had no idea that the book is great for expanding vocabulary which we know is one of the best things you can do to help a child learning to read.
Chelsea Horton
Sep 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
This book is great for younger children. It has a lot of vocabulary that includes colors, sizes, and designs. This is a book that grabs attention and can be read multiple times and still be enjoyed. The hats are silly too, which can bring a smile to readers of all ages.
Kristin
Apr 22, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another one of our collection that is always re-read. I love the lesson that something new doesn't always mean something better! Of course, the silly hat is our favourite! A charming beginner book for young toddlers and a wonderful starter for new readers...
Sri
Anak yang baca, maknya ngawasin. Dibanding yang inside outside upside down, si anak terlihat agak bosan waktu membaca yang ini. Kosakatanya lebih banyak dan anak lebih kesulitan membacanya. Ceritanya juga kurang seru tapi tetap ada konyolnya.
Skylar Burris
Nov 19, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Great for teaching to read, and not as annoying as many books designed for this purpose.
Alicia
Jul 10, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
I guess this book is intended for new readers, but there really are a lot of words even though it is a simple story. I am not impressed by the book.
Marie
Nov 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A much-requested selection in my nursery class at church. It's quite funny even after the third read.
Isabella
Oct 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
I read this book to my daughter before bed almost every night. She's almost 4 and can recite practically the whole book by heart. A fun book!
drowningmermaid
A big favorite, and the first book Charlotte learned a word from. "Hat."
  • Wings on Things
  • Hooper Humperdink...? Not Him!
  • The Boy Who Wouldn't Share
  • Go, Train, Go!
  • Please Try to Remember the First of Octember!
  • Noisy Nora
  • Sam and the Firefly
  • It's Not Easy Being Big! (Bright & Early Books)
  • The Digging-est Dog (Beginner Books)
  • P. J. Funnybunny Camps Out (Step into Reading)
  • I'll Teach My Dog a Lot of Words
  • I Want to Be Somebody New! (Beginner Books(R))
  • Fred and Ted Go Camping
  • Little Bunny Follows His Nose (Golden Scratch & Sniff Books)
  • Robert the Rose Horse
More about Stan Berenstain...

The Berenstain Bears Bright & Early (9 books)
  • Inside, Outside, Upside Down (Berenstain Bears)
  • Bears on Wheels
  • The Berenstains' B Book (Bright & Early Books)
  • Bears in the Night
  • C is for Clown
  • He Bear, She Bear
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Spooky Old Tree
  • The Berenstain Bears on the Moon (Bright & Early Books)