Start by marking “The Siren Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #8)” as Want to Read:
The Siren Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #8)

The Siren Queen

(Ursula Blanchard #8)

In the worlds of passion and politics, Ursula Blanchard knows to follow her heart -- if she is to keep her head....

Happily married and enjoying the life domestic, Ursula has her mind on family matters, not court treachery, as she begins to plan a betrothal for her young daughter Meg. When the powerful Duke of Norfolk extends an invitation for Ursula and her family to
Published January 3rd 2006 by Gallery Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Siren Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Siren Queen

Start your review of The Siren Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #8)
Nancy
May 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical, mysteries
This may not be great literature, but it is an entertaining historical mystery. I was trapped at an airport for 8 hours and this was the perfect diversion: enough content to keep me occupied, but light enough that I didn't have to struggle.

The conflict between Elizabeth I and Mary Queen of Scots presents countless story lines and this book makes good use of court intrigue and politics as the center of a domestic mystery puzzle. I would have enjoyed a bit more local colour. Ms. Buckley is well
Amy
Another good read. How does Buckley come up with all these different plots? Amazing! I like the way the familiar characters develop (particularly Meg), and the introduction of new interesting characters into this series. This rates about 3.5 stars.
Janet
I’ve forgotten how political some of these entries can be. Buckley is always enjoyable, but I tend to get bogged down in the intricacies of who’s plotting against whom and which dukes are in favor with which members of royalty.
Kathy
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I just love this series. Ursula is quite the lady and the twists and turns of her story just keep coming.
Carol
Aug 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Goodreads Friends!
Recommended to Carol by: store find
FABULOUS! Possibly four and a half stars!!

"Mystery at Queen Elizabeth I's Court" drew me in like a moth to a light. Historical mystery?! LOVE it! Buckley weaves a tapestry of characters together in a wonderfully gossipy way. It's like your best friend, whom you haven't seen in forever, has sat down to tell you all that's happened to her since seeing her last; only better because of the intrigue and mystery!

When I first purchased this book, I did not realize that it is the 8th or 9th in a series
Gretchen
Jun 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tudor-fiction
Michelle
Oct 17, 2012 rated it liked it
(3.5 stars) The 8th book in the Ursula Blanchard series has Ursula and her husband pondering an offer for an early betrothal for Ursula's daughter, Meg. The offer has come from the Duke of Norfolk for a young man who has been working as one of his secretaries while his father's business in trading recovers from some political issues. While Meg is charmed by Edmund, both Ursula and her husband have great unease about him. Ursula has other issues as well, with a food poisoning incident that ...more
Dale
Apr 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Linda Matty, Kathy Keim
This is another of the Ursula Blanchard series at Queen Elizabeth's Court, another of Buckley's Elizabethan mysteries. Fiona Buckley writes historical fiction but admits to using facts loosely in a historical setting. The action and intrigue give you a flavor of what it was to live in the mid-1500's during Queen Elizabeth's reign. This mystery deals with the Duke of Norfolk's part in a plot to assassinate the Queen and marry the deposed Mary, Queen of Scots, who at this time is in house arrest. ...more
Lalla
Sep 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book continues the series that this author has created featuring Ursula Blanchard, a half sister to Queen Elizabeth,who is often called to court to help put an end to plots and people who would remove the Queen from her throne.
The main theme in this book is a plot to restore Mary,Queen of Scots to power. There are sub plots that add to the pace of the story as well. Ursula's daughter is more involved in this novel as well as an old woman that Ursula has befriended in the past. I really
EJ Johnson
Jun 11, 2009 rated it liked it
An Ursula Blanchard Mystery at Queen Elizabeth I's Court. Ursula is a thrice married mother in her mid 30’s who also happens to be the Queen’s unknown half-sister. She is an able spy and has experience helping the court. This book is about the real life Ridolfi plot that tried to put Mary, Queen of Scots, back on the throne. Adding to the intrigue is the romance between Ursula’s daughter Meg and Edmund Dean. This is the first in the series that I have read. I think there were 7 before. It was an ...more
Carla
Feb 26, 2013 rated it liked it
This is my first Buckley novel and it won't be my last. I would've like to have begun with the first book, as throughout the story references are made to earlier happenstances, but if you are familiar with England's political players of this time period you won't feel lost. The novel includes quite a bit of factual info, as well as a few interpretations of historical events (in which evidence was lacking) that are "outside of the box". There are several small plots interweaved within the story ...more
Bookfanatic
Dec 23, 2013 rated it liked it
I normally don't read historical mysteries, but this one caught my eye. I'm glad I read it. It's interesting enough to hold your interest, and the plot is good and well-paced, but not so intricate that it's confusing. There are some red herrings that will make you think the murderer is someone other than who he/she is. There are some surprising twists. This held my interest and I'm not one who particularly likes mysteries at all.
Moonmomie
Nov 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy Elizabethan Historical Fiction, which is what brought me to this series. I had never been interested in any kind of mysteries up until reading these books. They were a complete surprise to me. The plots in all of the Ursula Blanchard Mysteries are rich and fun, the characters are interesting and complex. I really loved this entire series of books.
Denise
Jul 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
#8 in the series (#9 coming Jan 2012). A good, solid detective series with enough twists and upsets to keep the reader interested and turning pages. And the fact that it's taking place during the time of Queen Elizabeth I helps to make that time period come alive. I enjoyed these books and eagerly await the next :)
Charlotte Osborn-bensaada
Jun 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This is a great series set in Queen Elizabeth's court. Buckley takes several real historical mysteries and asks what if... Worth reading for a strong interesting heroine that while sometimes needing rescue is rather good at figuring out her own options given the limited options available to women of the time.
Mary Newcomb
Ursula Stannard is once again undertaking small missions for her sister (shh) Queen Elizabeth I and her Secretary of State, Lord Cecil. Things become very complicated as a plot is uncovered, Ursula's daughter has a suitor and Gladys Morgan is accused of being a witch. Life as the queen's half sister is quite interesting!
Julie
Last in the series.

This is a strong end to the series, though it doesn't end quite as a series finale would likely end. Perhaps Buckley intended to continue the series but didn't. Still, I'm happy with this ending and really recommend the entire series to those who like historical mysteries. It's not perfect, but it's very entertaining and a swift, comfortable set of books.
Deanna Peterson
May 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Page 231: Now the plot thickens when Meg comes to visit.
Wynne
Jan 06, 2014 rated it liked it
I was losing interest and then there was a shift in the plot with a surprise. To quote Philomena "I did not see that coming". Made the concept more interesting.
Carol
Dec 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Fun, cozy mystery series set in the time of Elizabeth Tudor.
Dena
Jan 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
A good historical, mystery series but I definitely start with book one "To Shield the Queen".
Basia Barbara
Apr 26, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
LIked the book Interesting historical info
Tex
Oct 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
This time is so interesting to me. So many different plots forming in such a small country. Elizabeth I and Mary Stuart are merely backdrop to the mystery though. Good story.
Judy
May 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Better than I thought it would be. A female "agent" for Elizabeth I - good story and bold characters.
Kate
Jun 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
The later Ursula Blanchard mysteries feel less historical than the earlier ones, and a bit formulaic when you read them four in a row.
Sally
Oct 08, 2007 rated it it was amazing
good book series all written about Queen Elizabeth's top woman who solves murders and mysteries surrounding Elizabeth.
William
Dec 04, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scanned-books
I've not been a big fan of this series and had decided that this would be the last one I read. This book, however, held my interest and convinced me to go on to book 9 in the series.
Jerrie
Aug 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Jill
Dec 14, 2007 added it
Great medieval mystery series.
Lisa K
Jan 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
i read this one first and it got me hooked so i went back to the beginning...
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 11, 2015 10:35AM

• The Anatomist's Wife (Lady Darby Mystery, #1)
  • Mortal Arts (Lady Darby Mystery, #2)
  • A Grave Matter (Lady Darby Mystery #3)
  • The Chardonnay Charade (Wine Country Mysteries #2)
  • An Act of Villainy (Amory Ames Mystery #5)
  • A Dangerous Collaboration (Veronica Speedwell, #4)
  • The Gospel Comes with a House Key
  • An Artless Demise (Lady Darby Mystery #7)
  • Murder in Chinatown (Gaslight Mystery, #9)
  • A Rustle of Silk (Gabriel Taverner Mystery #1)
  • A Brush with Shadows (Lady Darby Mystery #6)
  • Pekoe Most Poison (A Tea Shop Mystery, #18)
  • As Death Draws Near (Lady Darby Mystery #5)
  • Ask Me No Questions (A Lady Dunbridge Mystery #1)
  • The Spy of Venice (William Shakespeare Thriller #1)
  • A Crime of Passion Fruit (Bakeshop Mystery #6)
  • A Study in Death (Lady Darby Mystery #4)
  • First of the Tudors
Valerie Anand is a British author of historical fiction. Under the pen name Fiona Buckley she writes the series of historical mysteries, set in the reign of Elizabeth I of England, featuring "Ursula Blanchard" (whose full name is Ursula Faldene Blanchard de la Roche Stannard). Under her own name she writes historical fiction based on the royalty of England and the Bridges over Time series which ...more

Ursula Blanchard (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • To Shield the Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #1)
  • The Doublet Affair (Ursula Blanchard, #2)
  • Queen's Ransom (Ursula Blanchard, #3)
  • To Ruin A Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #4)
  • Queen of Ambition (Ursula Blanchard, #5)
  • A Pawn for a Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #6)
  • The Fugitive Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #7)
  • Queen Without a Crown (Ursula Blanchard, #9)
  • Queen's Bounty (Ursula Blanchard, #10)
  • A Rescue For A Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #11)