Start by marking “The Fleece & Fiber Sourcebook” as Want to Read:
The Fleece & Fiber Sourcebook

The Fleece & Fiber Sourcebook

4.73  ·  Rating details ·  456 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
This one-of-a-kind encyclopedia shines a spotlight on more than 200 animals and their wondrous fleece. Profiling a worldwide array of fiber-producers that includes northern Africa’s dromedary camel, the Navajo churro, and the Tasmanian merino, Carol Ekarius and Deborah Robson include photographs of each animal’s fleece at every stage of the handcrafting process, from raw t ...more
Published 2011 by Storey Pub

To ask other readers questions about The Fleece & Fiber Sourcebook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fleece & Fiber Sourcebook

Jim
Aug 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It took me months to skim through this & I can't say I retained much of it save that it's a great reference on various fleeces & fibers. It's broken up into types, usually by animal & then breed. Each sort has a good, descriptive blurb about the animal & the fiber. It's fun as a coffee table book & certainly helped me figure out which fleeces to even look at.
Dee
Jul 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing book!! If there was ever anything you wanted to know about fiber or fleece - anything about wool - this is the book in which to find it! Written in an easy-to-read format with lots of side-bars with interesting facts, I never seem to want to put it down. This is a must-have for anyone who works with fiber - either the production of or in any kind of craft or hobby.
Juno
Jun 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not done yet, but can already tell it's 5 stars. Brilliantly thorough survey of sheep breeds and fleece and fiber characteristics across the spectrum of animal fibers. If you spin, knit or weave....buy it.
Laurie Carlson
This book is an amazing book! It is huge! It cover everything you need to know about all the different fleeces and fibers you can spin on a spinning wheel into yarns, threads, and more. I believe the author named this book what they did today because if she were to name it Spinning, most of you would associate it with bicycles today! Nope. She is referring to the old-fashioned Spinning Wheel. This book is a must-read book and is so educational. You will learn what our ancestors did before there ...more
TheGeekyBlogger
Jan 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Received from NetGalley
Release Date June 1, 2011

Overall: I found this book very enlightening and useful. I am a crocheter so learning about yarns I use is kind of a fun side hobby. This book was easy to follow and there was a great deal of information to look through.

What I Found Useful: The index made the Fleece and Fiber Sourcebook a good reference book. It was broken into 2 sections: Sheep and Other Wool Sources. Then the types were broken down by region and type of animal (sheep). I found th
Ruth Ann
Nov 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: craft
This is a quality resource that has been detrimental on my spending cash. I started spinning with a drop spindle and watched Deborah Robson's free mini class called Know Your Wool on the Craftsy website. I had to get this book. The uninitiated have no idea about the varieties of fleece and fibers that one can spin into yarn.

Common and exotic sounding names fill the pages and I'm beginning to sound like an expert in my need to collect some different varieties. As much as I lust for qiviut, it
Alicia
Aug 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful resource! This book covers everything you need to know about the behaviors, care and preparation of many sheep breeds and also includes other fiber animals. The authors researched each fiber so well. There's been so many discussions on ravelry on how to prep alpaca and llama fleeces - most wrong! These authors are absolutely correct (from my experience) on how to prepare the fiber and it's uses. This is a book for anyone that deals with fiber: spinner, weaver, the knitter, croch ...more
Alianne
Jul 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafts
This book is amazing. I am nearly done with my second readthrough, and I've only had it about three weeks. It is very interesting for a reference book. (Of course, that could just be because I'm obsessed by spinning, weaving, and knitting.)

It is inspiring for spinners and other crafters who work with animal fiber and yarn. I have begun seeking out rarer breeds to spin, and I've started a sample binder for myself to keep track of what I like and don't like and other observations as well as spun s
Kristin
Dec 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
5 stars as a reference book.

This book is incredible. Everything you could ever need to know about sheep breeds and types of fibers (as well as any other animal that you could possibly spin fiber from). Hundreds of kinds of sheep, plus rabbits and alpacas and even yaks. It's awesome. I've already used it several times this week while researching sheep breeds of fleeces I'm interested in buying.

I can't fathom the amount of work that went into researching this book. It's amazing. :) I basically re
Wendy Janett
Jun 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Other than actual religious tomes, this book is my bible. It lives on my nightstand so I always have quick access to it. For anyone who wants to understand more about animal fiber and its uses in hand production of yarn and textiles, this volume is the definitive work. The sections on various breeds of sheep, which comprise the bulk of the book, are outstanding in expounding upon not only the history of each breed, but also each breed's role in history, as well as the unique characteristics of e ...more
Deborah Robson
Jan 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Okay, I have to give this 5 stars because I wrote it and I know what went into it. I do know that there was more I wanted to write, but we ran out of time. I wish I knew how to add the cover image! I have one right here on my computer. / Hmm. I also am trying to change from the e-book edition (which I have not seen yet, although I know it exists) to the physical book, which isn't in the database. Can you guess that I'm relatively new here? I signed up about the time I started researching Fleece ...more
Ashley
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting
What a joy this book was! I reference it often. I am a spinner/knitter/dyer and have been playing around with different local breeds of sheep. This book has helped me in so many ways! I can pull a sample from my fiber stash, compare it to the very helpful (and numerous) pictures of samples. It helps me identify which breed in a cross-bred animal is more present in the fiber, and how to go about preparing it and spinning it. A treasured book.
Nanci
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Comprehensive and beautiful photos and illustrations throughout. Overview of many different animals and plants that people use to make useful things in our lives. Reference and coffee table book. Great gift for any knitter, spinner, weaver, etc. in your life.

Good quality paper and binding.

Need to buy and reread.
Jenn
Dec 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spinning, owned
In my opinion, one of the best sources of information about fiber for spinning or even for knitting and how to use it. It is beautifully printed and written and I've read it cover to cover, twice (and got Deb to sign it). I can't say enough about what an invaluable resource this is for information about fiber, especially about wool.
Lynn Benefiel
Aug 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knit-weave
This book is a must for hand-spinners. Comprehensive overview of breeds of sheep and many other animals around the world. Photos of each type animals, fiber, yarn, plus a knit and a woven swatch for each breed. How did they get this done? Authors gave historical information and other interesting tidbits of information. This is a large, heavy book but fasinating to study.
Kassiah
Jul 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
If you're into yarn, this book is like a dream. Funny and super-informative. The pictures are beautiful and the index makes everything easy to find. I didn't know there are feral sheep. An excellent resource!
Jessica
Jan 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
encyclopedic resource of sheep breeds for the handspinner / knitter / weaver / fiber crafter. i've really enjoyed looking up breeds that i've been spinning, and those that i'm considering for a larger purchase.
Kimberly
Dec 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A book that every spinner or person interested in raising sheep should have on their shelf. Very well done. Tells about every breed of sheep, gives pictures of fiber and spun fiber, and micron count and all that good info for each breed.
Aubrey
Feb 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Enjoyable to read, lots of pictures and examples of the many breeds of sheep. Lacking a localized focus so it did not help me identify the wool I recently received, but pretty to look and informative all the same.
Donna
Mar 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, well researched, amazing reference. I love it and I'm not really interested in fiber arts!
Tilden
Jul 20, 2011 marked it as to-read
Shelves: non-fiction
Bought because I want to learn more about sheep breeds for my knitting. This is a reference book.
Wren
Jan 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Like an interesting textbook. I especially liked learning about the non-sheep fibers- like Alpaca, Camel, and Angora.
Ellen
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
it's wonderful
Cayenne
Nov 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Amazing, incredible, fascinating, and very well written. The ultimate guide to fiber and fiber producing animals. Awesome. I'm so glad I bought this book.
Deborah Robson
Jan 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Okay, working on getting this book categorized correctly. I'm the author. Yes, I think it's five-stars good, although I was going for ten and ran out of time!
Bandknito
Jul 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
an excellent resource. I hope there is a volume 2 with more sheep breeds, especially those from continental Europe.
Deb
Oct 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great resource book if you are into fiber!
Laurel
Jul 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
If you're into fiber -- really into fiber -- don't just read this book: buy it. You won't be disappointed.
Anita Themer
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fantastic resource for spinners and knitters alike. Beautiful photos.
Chris
Jan 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-design
An excellent reference book.
  • Respect the Spindle
  • The Intentional Spinner
  • In Sheep's Clothing
  • The Knitter's Book of Wool: The Ultimate Guide to Understanding, Using, and Loving this Most Fabulous Fiber
  • Start Spinning
  • The Spinner's Book of Yarn Designs: Techniques for Creating 80 Yarns
  • Hand Dyeing Yarn and Fleece: Dip-Dyeing, Hand-Painting, Tie-Dyeing, and Other Creative Techniques
  • Spin Control
  • A Fine Fleece: Knitting with Handspun Yarns
  • The Alden Amos Big Book of Handspinning: Being A Compendium of Information, Advice, and Opinions On the Noble Art & Craft
  • Intertwined: The Art of Handspun Yarn, Modern Patterns and Creative Spinning
  • Spinning in the Old Way: How (and Why) to Make Your Own Yarn with a High-Whorl Handspindle
  • Color in Spinning
  • Sock Yarn One-Skein Wonders: 101 Patterns That Go Way Beyond Socks!
  • Harvesting Color: How to Find Plants and Make Natural Dyes
  • The Weaver's Idea Book: Creative Cloth on a Rigid Heddle Loom
  • The Principles of Knitting: Methods and Techniques of Hand Knitting
  • Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitter's Almanac

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »