Start by marking “The Exquisite Risk: Daring to Live an Authentic Life” as Want to Read:
The Exquisite Risk: Daring to Live an Authentic Life

The Exquisite Risk: Daring to Live an Authentic Life

In these fast-paced times, the exquisite risk facing each of us every day is to slow down and “still our own house” so that we may experience life rather than simply manage it. In The Exquisite Risk, poet and teacher Mark Nepo encourages readers to become quiet enough and open enough to listen to what truly matters—our own hearts, our loved ones, the wonders of nature—in o ...more
Published February 28th 2006 by Harmony (first published February 15th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Exquisite Risk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Exquisite Risk

Jaime
Dec 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: grow-yoga
This is actually a 3.5 star, FYI.

"Sufi master Hazrat Inayat Khan says: 'God breaks the heart again and again until it stays open.'"
Ljonz
Aug 20, 2010 added it
At times the writing breathes space into my moments. Some good thoughts are shared in a poetic way.
Lisa
Sep 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
the exquisite risk is an exquisite read.
Jerry
Jul 07, 2014 rated it did not like it
Too much air, not enough substance.
JeanAnn
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: morning-coffee
I had read some articles by Mark Nepo in Parabola and liked what he said and how he said it. This led us to read one of his books; hopefully, to read more in the future. I believe Nepo has a mystic's deep sense of life.
Cameron
The book started with so much promise, the title alone grabbed my attention and demanded to be read. The author did not disappoint, his life experience and view encourages one to see, literally and figuratively life through different eyes. Being a cancer survivor has moved Nepo to a level of awareness which is admirable. As the book progresses Nepo's enthusiasm for the simple things grows stronger. He then seems to transcend the everyday and his descriptions, though filled with passion, become o ...more
Liz Worth
Mar 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book is beautifully written but it never felt like it went below the surface for me.

Mark Nepo's writing style is quite engaging, and I was immediately drawn into the book.

I really appreciated the folklore that he referenced throughout, and there are definitely some pages I've bookmarked for future reference, but again, I kept expecting the book to go a bit deeper and it never really did for me.
Patrick Williams
Mar 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Mark Nepo is a poet and sees the world through a poet's eyes. Personally, his words sang off the page and spoke to the core of my being. Not only did they seem to capture a truth that I was just beginning to see, he brought even more beauty into each and every moment! Not everyone's cup of tea, but for those with a poetic mind, every page will hold amazing depth and beauty.
Lorraine
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
Outstanding, at times I could only digest a page at a time and I was off in my journaling writing about what I had read! Can't say enough about this book, it will hold a permanent place on my library shelves.
Margie
Jan 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Read this with a "help" group. Took a while to finish in that we discussed a couple of chapters a week. Contains very helpful information. The writing is lyrical. Poetic. Would recommend to those who are trying to grow and increase their awareness of the world around them.
Minda
Jul 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My favorite book of Mark's. I constantly revisit and read a chapter or two for inspiration. It goes deeper and gives me more to think about than his daily devotional, although I love that one too. I can't live without this book.
Tina
Mar 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
excellent, inspiring, helps to assess your current state of being. highly recommend this uplifting book.
Christine Hamblen
Jan 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
Sometimes poetic, sometimes incomprehensible ...
Kathy Oberle
Aug 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
beyond wonderful! Love Mark's poetry.
Stacy Piper
Good learning from this. I especially love all the quotes.
Gianetta
Jul 10, 2009 rated it liked it
I liked the message behind the words, but I had difficulty connecting with the author.
May 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual
Mark is a poet who writes an inspiring work for all who are looking for a sense of understanding of ones own evolution. I have deep contemplations and insights as a result of his work.
Janet
Redundant
Susan
Feb 21, 2011 added it
Shelves: favorites
I really love the way Mark Nepo writes, so beautifully, and he so speaks to what matters and how to truly live....I so highly recommend :)
Meg Rose
Oct 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Some beautiful connections and passages that offered me very personal clarity. A little too many layers of philosophy for me at times but overall I thought this was a refreshing and meaningful read.
Andreina Garban
May 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
The deep and kindness of Mark's poetry creates a soothing, inspiring place for reflection, depth, and peace.
Suzy Hartig-parrino
Jan 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous Read; being authentic is a life goal and Mark has convinced me that i'm on the right path d;-)
deanne belshe

• Gaia and God: An Ecofeminist Theology of Earth Healing
  • Don't Believe Everything You Think: Living with Wisdom and Compassion
  • Luminous Web: Essays on Science and Religion
  • Awakening Compassion: Meditation Practice for Difficult Times
  • Everything Starts from Prayer: Mother Teresa's Meditations on Spiritual Life for People of All Faiths
  • Teaching with Fire: Poetry That Sustains the Courage to Teach
  • The Mindfulness Revolution: Leading Psychologists, Scientists, Artists, and Meditatiion Teachers on the Power of Mindfulness in Daily Life
  • Prodigals and Those Who Love Them
  • On Becoming an Artist: Reinventing Yourself Through Mindful Creativity
“Whether through the patterns left in snow, or geese honking in the dark, or through the brilliant wet leaf that hits your face the moment you are questioning your worth, the quiet teachers are everywhere, pointing us to the unlived portion of our lives. When we think we are in charge, the lessons dissolve as accidents or coincidence. But when we’re humble enough to welcome the connections, the glass that breaks across the room is offering us direction, giving us a clue to the story we are in.” 12 likes
“If I am not for myself, who will be? If I am only for myself, what am I? If not now, when?” 10 likes