Start by marking “Two Kisses for Maddy: A Memoir of Loss & Love” as Want to Read:
Two Kisses for Maddy: A Memoir of Loss & Love

Two Kisses for Maddy: A Memoir of Loss & Love

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  7,055 Ratings  ·  1,033 Reviews

Matt and Liz Logelin were high school sweethearts. The pair settled together in Los Angeles and they had it all: the perfect marriage, a beautiful new home, and a baby girl on the way. But just twenty-seven hours after they welcomed Madeline into the world, Liz suffered a pulmonary embolism and instantly died, without ever holding the daughter whose arrival she had so eage

Published April 14th 2011 by Grand Central Publishing (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Two Kisses for Maddy, please sign up.
Lynette I haven't read it yet but ouch that sounds harsh. did you not think that his language might be as a result of the grief and that people go through…moreI haven't read it yet but ouch that sounds harsh. did you not think that his language might be as a result of the grief and that people go through anger etc.? though having read the comments below it sounds like a lot of people agree with you and it is sad that it wasn't edited better.(less)

Doreen
Aug 26, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: elle
A terrible thing happened to Matt Logelin: his beloved wife died the day after their only child was born, 7 weeks prematurely. As he struggled to put his life back together and raise a baby on his own, he set up a non-profit foundation to help other men and women who found themselves in a similar situation. In the process, he grew somewhat as a person.

Hopefully, that precis will save you from having to read the actual book. Proceeds from its sale go to the non-profit mentioned above, but serious
Jim
Sep 25, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In a remarkable coincidence, Matthew Logelin and I each lost a young wife, were left with a daughter named Madeline, and wrote a book about the experience. He and I are very different people but we both came to some very similar conclusions.
Selby
Jan 27, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This was an emotional roller coaster for me. I really struggled to give this little memoir a star rating. So, everyone knows the premise: A 30 year old man is delighted by the birth of his daughter one day and loses the love of his life the next, what now?

A lot of the criticisms I've read here on GR are quasi-valid: The writing is so-so. He does come off like a music snob at times. His profanities are redundant; some argued crass. In response to this I would say: He never claims to be a writer.
Sasha
Jan 07, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I did not read the entire book. Although I can sympathize with the situation, I don't think this should be a book. I could not force myself to read the rest of it. That is all I will say because I feel the situation itself makes it hard to say anything that could be perceived as negative after the suffering this family has endured. Although, maybe that's exactly how this book ended up published...nobody wanted to hurt anyone's feelings.
Tamara Taylor
Jan 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I made the mistake of browsing through some of this book's GD reviews prior to reading it. A few readers said they felt that Matt was a snobby hipster douchebag. I wish that I hadn't peeked at those reviews as they coloured my perception of the author before I gave this book a chance (shame on me!) I did press on though, and I am glad I did. I came to the conclusion that the author is not in fact a hipster douchebag. He is a brutally, painfully honest real person. This book is the most accurate, ...more
Patricia
May 31, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
**Warning: This author, even though he wrote a book in an "attempt to turn [his] sadness into something beautiful," uses a lot of coarse, vulgar language, and is quite offensive. I do not recommend it for this reason.**

This is the sad, true story of a young man who becomes a widower at the age of 30, the day after his daughter is born seven weeks early. He loved his young, beautiful wife deeply, and he writes about their love story, the birth, her death, and the year of grief and beauty that fol
Erin Samiloglu
Here's a truth: we all have a story in us. Here's another truth: everyone, at some point in their lives, experiences the death of a loved one.Now, here's a myth: everyone's story about the death of a loved one deserves to be published and read by the masses.
I perhaps gave this book more leniency than I should have. Matthew Longelin did, after all, lose his wife one day after his daughter was born. But if death doesn't make martyrs of the dead, surviving doesn't make a douchebag lose his doucheb
Laurie
I have been following Matt Logelin for over two years, and I was thrilled when I was hooked up with a copy of Two Kisses for Maddy to read before it was released last week. From a literary standpoint, I found the story moving and easy to read if not heart-wrenchingly sad and difficult at times. While I love Matt's blog that is written in mostly in verse, the prose in this book filled in some gaps on a story that I already felt I knew quite well.

From a social, human standpoint, Matt, Liz, and Ma
Lisa Factora-borchers
There are so many things one could say about this book. As a 32 year old married mother of a precious toddler, of course this book rang many bells in my head and of course it broke nearly every time Matt wrote about his lost wife. As a human, as a person who loves to feel and wants to be reminded how awesome it is to be in love with the Love of your life, this book spoke to me on different levels. I don't know how it could not.

Matt Logelin openly writes from a place of suffering and as a person
Librariann
Feb 01, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, memoir, adult
Sigh. I feel bad for this family, Matt especially, but this book was just not that great. 1) It's another People magazine/Reader's Digest article that feels blown up into a book, and 2) I know these are real people and not characters, but as people? I don't find them interesting. Even worse, Liz (the dead wife and mother) is the kind of woman that I probably would have disliked in real life. Ugh, and now I've spoken ill of the dead.

If you read Matt's blog at all, the story will pique your inter
Kristy
May 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first real book review on here, and, boy, do I have a lot say about this one.

'Two Kisses for Maddy' is the story of a man who become both a father and a widower in the span of twenty-seven hours, and his journey to mourn his wife and live for his daughter. At first I didn't like this book: the writing is a little simple and full of 'fucks' and 'shits.' But it read quickly, and I came to enjoy how conversational the book is. The author is a blogger, too, after all.

The other hard part of readin
Samantha Smith
I have conflicting thoughts about this book. On many levels I found this book to be extremely captivating and interesting. It is a story that automatically draws in any reader or compassionate person. I'm a newlywed so I can only imaging losing my spouse suddenly and unexpectedly. I totally get how this would be a life changing and horrific experience.

I applaud the author for being willing to share his experiences and intimate details of his life with readers. I respect that he doesn't shy away
Apr 05, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will make this a short one.
I know some of the reviews that came and will come will say that this is not a book worth your time. I go against it. Yeah, I just gave it 3 stars but just because I can't deny the lack of true literature. I give it to Mr. Logelin that he admitted not being a writer and believe him I do. But for those reviews that completely miss the bigger picture, I just feel sorry for them.
Maybe I just let myself guide for the tears I shed while reading but I'll admit it, I am a
Voracious
This man went through a terrible experience, I know. And it sounds like he's doing a great job with his daughter. But he didn't appeal to me.

I understand being massively sensitive in the wake of loss, but not continuing to defend your excessive over-reactions. He's hugely judgmental about silly things. For example, he whines about strangers asking about "Maddy's mother" rather than "his wife". That's just silly. No-one's going to risk offending a stranger by assuming marriage, but if there's a
Stephanie
This is the memoir by Matt Logelin, who lost his wife, Liz, a day after their daughter Madeline was born. I heard it as an audio book, as read by Matt himself. His grief is raw, his words are haunting. The crass language was a bit much for me (probably because I was hearing it and not reading it), and it really detracted from the story. I get that this is how he talks, but it really is distracting.

I have to say, though, Matt really made me kind of dislike him. He expresses at every turn what a g
Emilie
Jun 22, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
I was very interested to read this book as I have recently been reading about loss of loved ones. I didn't finish this book because of the repeated use of the course language. I am not sure if the author was trying to firmly establish his status as an everyman or what the thinking behind this move was, but the F word was prolifically used throughout the first 50 pages in very odd places. One might understand such harsh language after the point when the author loses his wife, but I did not actual ...more
Christine
I've read Matt's blog so I knew how his story unfolds before I read the book. And that meant I was crying from basically the first page as he described how he and Liz met and fell in love. I don't think Matt's the best writer ever. (His blog drives me a bit crazy because he writes in blocky short sentences a la Rosie O'Donnell). But Matt doesn't claim to a be a writer. This was never his goal. He was thrust in to the literary world after suffering a horrible tragedy...the death of his wife the d ...more
Nicole
Nov 05, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not going to bother to explain what this book was about, there a million reviews. I'm just going to say that I really disliked it. I tried really hard to like Matt and Liz and I just didn't. I felt absolutely no connection to either of them. I think Matt was trying to make us feel that he wasn't worthy of Liz and felt so lucky to have her, but all I got was that he was kind of selfish and lazy and she was the one who worked her butt off flying him around to visit her and then taking responsi ...more
Cassandra
Dec 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Two Kisses for Maddy is a tragic memoir of a man's loss of his wife. Matthew Logelin lost his wife twenty seven hours after his wife gave birth to a baby girl. Matthew's wife Liz died of a pulmonary embolism that stemmed from being on bed rest for several weeks before the delivery of her daughter. The memoir in Matthew's voice is raw and heartbreaking and I had to put it down many times because it was too painful to read. Matthew Logelin shares his grief openly and gives much insight of the chao ...more
Alissa
I read Matt's blog for awhile, so when this ARC crossed my desk I had to grab it. And I read it in less than 24 hours. I enjoyed the full narrative instead of the haiku like blog posts. Matt is a great writer and his honesty in his writing makes this novel compelling. His love for Liz & Maddy shines on each page.

I laughed and I cried. Highly recommended.
Sara
Jun 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir, 2011
This is such a great memoir, covering a very sad situation but managing to be inspiring and uplifting instead of completely and utterly depressing. The author's wife died the day after their daughter was born, and this book chronicles his relationship with his wife and then his struggle to get through the first year of their daughter's life as a single parent.

The author has a very relatable writing style that drew me in almost immediately. I was unsure about this book before starting it, not wa
Marianne Stehr
This is one of those stories that is hard to review. of course the story of life and death is heatwrenching and the story itself, unfortunately true, will certainly make for a great book. However this story did not sound like just another "regular" person having significant crisis. This is a very lucky, well connected and highly supported father who has lost his wife unexpectedly and as written in the book, he is far from the only person the experience this. so to me the book takes on a connotat ...more
Selina Benware
Sep 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
One of the beat books i have ever read(and I have read thousands) so full of love, loss, and raw heartbreak, but so worth it!! I have cried many many times while reading this(bawled actually) but it has also shown me what it takes to be a ''better'' parent, and how your own child can not take the pain away, but make it just a little more berable! I can only hope that someday I will be as good of a parent as he is! AFter losing his wife suddenly only 24 hrs after their beautiful baby entered the ...more
Feb 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolute beautiful memoir! I cried (bawled the eyes out), I laughed (loved the stories from Maddy's 1st birthday party part 2), and felt the love that Matt poured into this book for his wife and daughter. This book has heart and will have you appreciating the time you have with the people in you life you love the most. Liz would be so proud of him! I have been a loyal reader of Matt's blog for the past two years and appreciate the creative way Matt writes and expresses himself. (so glad your edi ...more
Kelly
Sep 15, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Disclaimer: Brutal honesty ahead.

Matthew Logelin sounds like an asshole. That doesn't make the loss he suffered any less devastating, but he does a super great job of making you like his wife a lot better than you like him. And she tragically passed away in 2008. But reading about his love for his daughter and the way the tragedy affected his life was touching. A solid 3 star memoir.
Rhonda
Sep 03, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Too much profanity!
Rachel McQuoid
This made me cry and smile in equal measures. Matt's story is so heartbreaking!
Robert Jacoby
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(In 3 weeks I read seven books in preparation to write the Analysis of the Competition section for the book proposal for my co-authored nonfiction book Never Stop Dancing. The seven books are A Grief Observed, Two Kisses for Maddy, The Year of Magical Thinking, About Alice, A Widow's Story, Tuesdays with Morrie, and When Bad Things Happen to Good People. I'll write a review for each book. Death and grief are common, but we experience each uniquely.)

In Two Kisses for Maddy, Matt Logelin recounts
Bev Walkling
This memoir tells the story of Liz Logelin's pregnancy, her husband love for her, her tragic death and the first year after her death as Matt and his newborn daughter Maddy learn to survive together in a world without Liz. It is a beautiful love story both for Liz and for Maddy. Don't read it when you have a cold and make sure to have the kleenex box handy.
Nike
Karena kamu, Ayah sanggup menghadapi seumur hidup kenangan.

Bagi saya yang seorang perempuan, punya bayi yang baru lahir itu memang butuh kesabaran ekstra, gak jarang kena baby blues, kadang jadinya pengen marah karena gak tahu itu bayi nangisnya kenapa dan kerasa capek. Tapi.... itu semua menyenangkan ketika melihat senyuman di bibir mungilnya lalu semua rasa lelah terbayar dengan kebahagiaan yang tak terkira.

Bagaimana jika semua itu justru dialami seorang pria? Seorang Ayah yang harus rela menj
HMSA Summer Reading: Two Kisses for Maddy 1 5 Jan 09, 2017 07:53PM
  • Ask Me Why I Hurt: The Kids Nobody Wants and the Doctor Who Heals Them
  • Inconceivable: A Medical Mistake, the Baby We Couldn't Keep, and Our Choice to Deliver the Ultimate Gift
  • Signs of Life: A Memoir
  • I Will Carry You: The Sacred Dance of Grief and Joy
  • No Biking in the House Without a Helmet
  • Alex: The Life of a Child
  • fathermothergod: My Journey Out of Christian Science
  • The Geeks Shall Inherit the Earth: Popularity, Quirk Theory and Why Outsiders Thrive After High School
Born and bred in Minnesota, Matt Logelin was a project manager at Yahoo! until he left the company to focus on writing this book and raising his daughter, Madeline. The two live in Los Angeles, traveling often to see as much of the world as possible. Please visit them at www.mattlogelin.com
More about Matthew Logelin

$2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $10.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
    $9.99 $1.99
    $8.49 $2.99
  • Dharma Punx: A Memoir
    $11.49 $1.99
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Queens Consort: England's Medieval Queens from Eleanor of Aquitaine to Elizabeth of York
    $9.99 $1.99
saying things that
liz
would have said if
she
were standing next to me,
looking at our child.
like cute.
and pretty.”
2 likes
“The most dangerous place for a baby is in the hospital? I could think of several places that had to be more dangerous than a hospital: a lion’s den, Skid Row, the middle of the 110 freeway, and my not-yet-baby-proofed house.” 2 likes