Start by marking “The File on Angelyn Stark” as Want to Read:

3.23  ·  Rating details ·  151 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Angelyn Stark has a secret.

One day, her neighbor and friend, Nathan, saw something happen. Something between Angelyn and her stepfather. Then he told his grandmother, who was always looking out for Angelyn, and it turned into a mess. But Nathan didn't know what he was talking about then, and he doesn't know now.

Three years later, Angelyn is in high school and she thinks sh
Published November 8th 2011 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The File on Angelyn Stark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The File on Angelyn Stark

Ciarra
I was really expecting to be more touched by this book. I wanted to be moved. But most of it was so confusing that I wasn't even really focusing on the lesson of the story.

There wasn't really a plot or character development because most of the story was dialogue. I'm not sure if I over thought the story and tried to over analyze but nothing made sense until I was close to the end.

Everything was so unclear and vague. I did, however, feel a connection with Angelyn because she was clearly disturbe
Liviania
Jun 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Catherine Atkins writes heart-staggeringly good books. WHEN JEFF COMES HOME and ALT ED earned their place on my favorites shelf. Thus, I held THE FILE ON ANGELYN STARK to an extremely high standard. I don't think THE FILE ON ANGELYN STARK lives up to Atkin's two previous novels, but it's still an excellent (if tough) read.

Fifteen-year-old Angelyn Stark begins her day smoking in the bathroom with her best friends Jacey and Charity. No one messes with them. She's got a boyfriend, Steve Coslow, who
Kaylie
Jan 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
I can tell that Atkins had good intentions with this book, but it just did not turn out right. It was so confusing and half the time I had no idea where the setting was. I hated that Angelyn kept going back and forth with Rossi and Steve. It was annoying. The first chapter was great but if it was written in a whole different way then I would be giving it 5*.
Aimee
May 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
Amy Lignor
Jan 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Angelyn Stark is an odd sort of girl; you want to hate her, protect her, love her and slap her - all at the same time. She is a girl who has been lied about, who has had gossip spread all over town about her, has a boyfriend who is a really ridiculous human being, two best friends who are definitely not friendly, and a mother who has messed her up so badly by choosing to disregard certain things that are happening in her own home - that Angelyn Stark is not much more than a big mess who needs so ...more
Feb 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Publication date: 11/8/2011
Pages: 256
Sales rank: 657,908
Age range: 14 – 17 Years
Product dimensions: 5.82 (w) x 8.52 (h) x 0.91 (d)

Summary: Angelyn Stark is in high school. She has a small group of friends and a popular boyfriend. She does okay in school, but does not feel like she is intelligent. We first meet Angelyn in the bathroom. She is smoking with her friends, w
Alicia
Sep 22, 2012 rated it liked it
I stayed up late to finish this one not because it was a complete page-turner but because I was legitimately worried about Angelyn Stark as a person who could be a student I know or someone I pass on the street. Her story is not unique, or so the reports say, of the number of girls abused by a parent or step-parent. In this case Angelyn's step-father sexually abused her and as you find out, while the mother suspected, once the neighbor, a same-age boy living with his grandmother saw it happen an ...more
Shanise {iridescentxlotus}
Dec 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
I didn't think that a book so simply written could have so much depth. By "simple" I mean that it was about 95% dialogue.

Angelyn is a girl who represses and denies everything that happened to her as a young girl and begins searching for the respect and love she feels she deserves from her boyfriend who just doesn't quite live up to what she wants. Then there's Mr. Rossi, a teacher who seems to get too close to her and she takes his intentions and turns them into feelings she shouldn't have. Sear
Wisteriouswoman
Mar 29, 2015 rated it liked it
This is a great book for a teen book group or classroom discussion or even a younger teen/ parent book group. There is so much to discuss. Kids often live in a naive dream world and get themselves into situations without understanding what is going on. I feel through books you can learn lessons about life without going to the school of hard knocks.

Questions might be:
What do you do when your boyfriend only likes you for your body? What do you do if you are a teacher and want to help a troubled s
Denise
Feb 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
2.0 out of 5 stars - Disappointing

Angelyn Stark has had a tough break or two in her short life. She has a difficult time with friends and school, but even worse is her home life. The gossip around town is that she's trouble and a bad girl -- is that true? And a neighbor boy contacts the authorities when he thinks he's seen something in her house that shouldn't be happening. No question, Angelyn is rebellious and acting out -- but why? Is the young, understanding history teacher, Mr. Rossi, the a
Read Between the Pages
Aug 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
'The File on Angelyn Stark' by Catherine Atkins is a novel about a fifteen year old girl named Angelyn Stark who is a troubled student at school. The reader travels through her life as things go from bad, to worse, to horrible, to okay.
The biggest thing I like about this book was that nothing really ever got better. It felt so real to me as I read it. In real life, things don't automatically get peachy keen at the end, and this book didn't do that. Some parts of this story made me sad for her,
Becky
Jun 08, 2013 rated it liked it
The File on Angelyn Stark simply asks the reader to bear witness. In today’s dystopian saturated genre, it’s a small scale story about every day conflict. That the conflict isn’t at all rare is what makes it a shattering read.

The narrative is very clearly told by Angelyn. The dialogue and vernacular as specific to Anngelyn and where she lives, which was very refreshing. Many books in first person are affected by the author’s voice, but it was just Angelyn.

Almost all the prose is dialogue, and a
Diane Ferbrache
Feb 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Angelyn is a girl with a bad reputation. Her mother hates her. Her stepfather ignores her. Her boyfriend just broke up with her because she won’t put out. Her best girlfriends are spreading rumors about her. The only ones who seem to be interested in being around her are her developmentally delayed neighbor, a girl in class who is also a social outcast, and Angelyn’s World Cultures teacher. As Angelyn’s story is revealed, the consequences of all these relationships create a lot of problems for ...more
Dana
Jan 11, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: i-own-this
ARC review

Ugh. This book was just full of awful writing, indistinguishable plot, and horrible characters. I hated this book. I felt that it could've been so much more. It had an interesting tagline, it just fell short on character development and plot and just everything. Blegh. Seriously, I hated all of the characters and NOTHING HAPPENED IN THE WHOLE BOOK. Okay sure, Angelyn kinda changed or something. Gah I don't even remember. I could care less really.

Oh right. The ONE thing that almost made
Tammy
May 11, 2014 rated it liked it
3 1/2 stars, in the first few chapters you want to hate Angelyn, then things unfold and stories are told and lives are built. It really just proves two points… You never know what's going on in someone's life and Teens are cruel sometimes. The book was almost completely dialogue and interaction between Angelyn and all of the significant people in her life but somehow it sucked me in to her story. I worried for her, wanted to scream at her mom, wanted to punch her boyfriend. I feel like Atkins di ...more
Kerry
Jan 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
For such a simply written story Angelyn Stark was a deep and complex character that I really love. She comes off as a tough 15 yr-old girl-getting in fights, drinking beer at lunch, failing her classes-but underneath is a 12 yr old thats crying out for help and love. Where she finds it is in a closs (almost inappropriatly so) relationship with a young teacher who gives her the support and friendship she needs to stand up for who she is. But the real story isnt about them it's about HER-finding h ...more
Kimberly
Nov 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 8th-grade

This book isn't the best but I found it interesting and that I couldn't stop reading it. Mostly because I wanted to know what really happened with Angelyn, it wasn't exactly a page turner. The book leaves you wondering what happened to Angelyn when she was younger when you first read it but once you find out, to me it sort of stopped being as interesting. This book had three stars because the plot itself was pretty good but I thought the book didn't really have anything special that it made it
Rachel
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
I don't think I have ever read a book with a character that I truly hated and could not stand. Angelyn I felt bad for her but come on how old is she like 10. I wish the girl acted more her age and was just more adult. I could not stand her and just how she would not leave Mr.Rossi alone like come on. So, I rated it a 2 because some parts held my interest but for the most part I could not stand it.
Pamela
Topic matter is very difficult and mature, but author handles it with subtlety. I thought the language captures the angst, confusion, and pain that such a situation would provoke from someone. I found it interesting to get to know Angelyn Stark, to see how she pushed back in anger, and how she confused the roles of friend, father, and lover.
Brandi Rae
Fast-paced, dialogue heavy book...good for older, reluctant, high school readers that like issue novels like Ellen Hopkins (although this wasn't as gritty as hers tend to be)...you kind of just ended up feeling so bad for Angelyn, with the terrible things that happened to her and the terrible adults that surround her...
Tarah McCue
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: unhauled
This book covered a very serious subject matter, but I couldn't stand the characters. They all annoyed me and pissed me off. Maybe I'm too old for this particular book. I'm not sure. I just couldn't connect with it.
Sherri
Feb 19, 2012 rated it liked it
This YA novel is fast-paced gritty realistic fiction story about a troubled teen whose past is as messed up as her present. Sad story about child abuse and its lingering effects, especially when it goes untreated.
Estelle Laure
Aug 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I ate it in one bite. Never looked up. Amazing, amazing, amazing.
Dec 03, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult-teen
Read for professional review.
Jessica
Aug 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a really good book. I liked it because I thought the other had a very intriguing writing style and great ideas. The book was a little depressing but I'd recommend it to an audience 12+
Pamela
Jan 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have a lot to say about this book, but will write more later.
Yazna
Sep 13, 2012 rated it liked it

Cindy
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Really good stayed up till it was finished. Was a page turner. Read it if you can.
Richard Denney
Jan 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Such a raw and dark read. Book thoughts to come...
Kayla
  • Joone
  • Sophie Scott Goes South
  • Mikis and the Donkey
  • Far From the War
  • Creeping With the Enemy (Langdon Prep #2)
  • Hummingbird Heart
  • My Brother Is A Superhero (My Brother is a Superhero, #1)
  • Spike, the Mixed-up Monster
  • Fenway and Hattie (Fenway and Hattie, #1)
  • The Year of Luminous Love (The Year, #1)
  • The Saturday Boy
  • Chess Rumble
  • Bad Luck Girl (The American Fairy, #3)
  • Palace Beautiful
I am a writer and teacher from Northern California. My books include The File on Angelyn Stark(Knopf), Alt Ed(Putnam) and When Jeff Comes Home(Putnam).
More about Catherine Atkins...