Start by marking “Extraordinary*: *The True Story of My Fairygodparent, Who Almost Killed Me, and Certainly Never Made Me a Princess” as Want to Read:

Jennifer Van Der Berg would like you to know that the book ostensibly written about her—Born to Be Extraordinary by Eileen Codlin—is a bunch of bunk. Yes, she had a fairy godparent mess with her life, but no, she was not made into a princess or given the gift of self-confidence, and she sure as hell didn't get a hot boyfriend out of it.
Here's the REAL scoop . . .
Published November 8th 2011 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2011)

Amy Lignor
Jan 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Love, love, love. You mean, did I like this book? Am I being too mysterious? From the author who brought America the extremely hysterical, I Kissed a Zombie, and I Liked it (as well as other unforgettable tales), comes a book with a plotline that is out of this world funny, and characters you will fall head over heels for.

As the cover states: This is the true story of my fairy godparent, who almost killed me, and certainly never made me a princess; and when the first line reads, “Eileen Codlin s
Hannah
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book. Was weird.
I had no idea what was going to happen and that's a good thing.
E. Anderson
Nov 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I really loved Adam Selzer's EXTRAORDINARY*: *THE TRUE STORY OF MY FAIRY GODPARENT, WHO ALMOST KILLED ME, AND CERTAINLY NEVER MADE ME A PRINCESS. I mean, check that out. The title enough should already have you sucked in. But in case you need a little something to sweeten the pot, I'll have you know this: EXTRAORDINARY* is the best book I've ever read that uses unicorn poop as a major plot point. (Okay, maybe the only book. But, you know.)

Set in the familiar Selzerverse town of Cornersville Trac
Coreena McBurnie
Jul 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a fun, lighthearted, entertaining book to read, perfect for summer. I love twists on established stories and fairy tales and this one is great - it takes so many of the expectations that we have for princess stories and living happily ever after and turns them on their head in clever ways.

The book is held together with Jennifer, an ordinary teen with a passion for purple, setting the record straight after a book was written about her, a book that was far from the truth of what really ha
Deb
Jun 03, 2011 added it
A fuller review coming later, this book does not come out until Nov/2011. But I will say (as The Plot Whisperer does), beginnings hook the reader (and Adam Selzer did a great job of hooking me in)...endings make fans. I am a fan. He took vampires (including prudish victorian ones), fairy godmothers (okay, fairy godmofo), zombies, highschool, true love, an ordinary girl (who deals with anger by smashing crap from the dollar store), Shakespeare, The Music Man and some unicorn poop, mixed it all to ...more
Ian_E1
Oct 04, 2017 rated it liked it
The novel "Extraordinary" by Adam Selzer is about Jenny (the main character) facing Mr. Gregory (The maniac vampire who tries to turn other people into vampires as well) who "tries" to kill her. Jenny and her friends outsmarts Mr. Gregory by spilling unicorn feces all over the dance floor. ; )

This book reminds me of a great friend of mine that lived on the other side of earth, Ryan, who I really want to visit. Mutual, in the story, comes to visit Jenny from Alaska. The book also reminds me of a
Tisha Eaton
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly I picked up the book because the cover was very literally a rip off of the cover art of the movie "Enchanted" let's be real.

description

The characters are very interesting in this book and well described so you can picture your own thoughts on the people, like Jenny, the main, or her crush, Mutual. For awhile I thought that was just a nickname she was calling him but no that was really his name... kinda odd but there you have it go figure.

There is this ever present other story being talked about a
Stephanie
Jul 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya, fantasy
Well, I finished a few days ago so it's not so fresh in my mind anymore but here goes.

It was alright. I liked the concept more than the other Adam Selzer book I read, I Kissed a Zombie, and I Liked It. The characters, I felt I was more invested in them since they were consistently built upon. The only thing I thought was annoying (and was actually a big part of the storyline, which is a problem then) is that he kept referring to the "book" that THIS ACTUAL BOOK was made in order to "clear things
Erin P
Oct 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
According to Eileen Colin everyting that happened to Jennifer is different to how it really happened. The week the events in the book happened started with a bad day. Jennifer couldn't catch a break. Her guidance counselor caught her with a "deadly weapon" or also known as a pair of ice skates, her car stalls every block or so, and a creepy short guy is stalking her. Jennifer has had enough, until her fairy godmofo comes to save the day, right? Well his magic comes with a price. She has to get F ...more
Tammy Walquist
Jul 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
A fun, clever and original take on the whole "my fairy godparent showed up to make my life better." Selzer did a great job of creating a world similar to ours where normal humans exist in a world with vampires who've "come out of the coffin" and zombies who are out of the grave. Jennifer, the main character, is an overachieving high school student whose life has finally calmed down since all of her extracurriculars and perfect grades got her into her dream university.

Then Gregory Grue, who claim
Diane Ferbrache
Subtitle – “the true story of my fairy godparent, who almost killed me, and certainly never made me a princess”. Jennifer Van der Berg is the hero of a best selling fairy tale that purports to be her true story. Since the publication, her life has been filled with stalkers and fan mail. So she has decided to set the story straight. She lives in post-human Des Moines, IA where vampires, werewolves, and fairies are common place. Her fairy godmother is really her “fairy godmofo” and is male and not ...more
Jun 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is a real treat for fans of I Put a Spell on You: From the Files of Chrissie Woodward, Spelling Bee Detective, especially if you liked Jennifer, Mutual, Jason, and/or Amber, but even if you've never read that book, this is still a fun, funny book. This is also a sort of sequel/companion book to I Kissed a Zombie, and I Liked It, and there are some references to the events of that book, but it's not necessary to have read that book either.

All the characters are believable and interesti
Lesley
Jun 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: funny, supernatural, teen
There are a lot of funny moments in this book as well as an interesting universe of humans and "post-humans," plus I'm all for stories that turn traditional romance tropes on their heads, but there were some things missing from this one for me. The main thing was that the very fun premise, that an author has written a book about what happens to the main character that makes everything more like typical paranormal romances, could have played even more on the differences between those types of boo ...more
Lisa
Jun 17, 2015 rated it liked it
I *did* really like it... except for the parts where my head was swimming. Turns out EXTRAORDINARY is a companion book to at least two other Selzer novels that I haven't yet read: I PUT A SPELL ON YOU and I KISSED A ZOMBIE AND I LIKED IT. Selzer makes a good attempt to introduce new readers to the various important characters and situations from those other books, but at times the result is a bit overwhelming. There oughta be a warning label saying, "Read these other books first!" ;-)

That being
Kate
Jan 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
Another interesting frame (correcting a bestseller) for a visit to Cornersville Trace and characters familiar from Selzer's other books. Jen, no longer forced into overachievement due to early college acceptance, runs into a creepy little man who declares himself her fairygodmo..fo..and grants her three ill-advised wishes. Style is improved but plots could still use a bit of tightening up, and although he does a better job than with I Kissed a Zombie and I Liked It of having a female narrator, t ...more
Rosa
Jul 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
2.5.

In a world identical to ours other than the zombies and vampires and other post-humans who've "come out", a human girl attempts to set the story straight after a best-selling novel is written detailing false events of her life.

Not sure this book exactly happened the way the author intended it to happen. I found it more bizarre than quirky, which could've been perfectly fine if had been well-written and actually funny and the characters had had more depth.
Pamela
Jennifer wants you to know that the book Eileen Codlin wrote about her was mostly wrong. She wants to set the record straight for those 11 million buyers of that other book. Selzer's use of second person, quirky humor, and a unique "post-human" world (by six years) as the setting make this an entertaining read. I give it 3.5 stars.
Andrea Dillon
Jan 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Ok the layout of the book confused me some. I am glad I had read "I kissed a Zombie" and "I put a spell on you" before I read this one. I think that helped me enjoy the characters a little more however I kinda think it dropped the ball a little. I kinda liked it...2.5 stars almost a 3 ...I'm wavering.
Jacquelyn
Jun 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Loved this book. It was a great way to have a vampire type book for teens without getting....well...stupid. It was a good entertaining read, enough humor and a bit of drama to make it entertaining and keep you engaged.
Tara Knoblauch
Aug 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was hilarious! I laughed out loud mostly at every chapter. Its a fun unusual story different take on the supernatural genre.
Kim Kanofsky
Dec 30, 2011 rated it liked it
This book was actually a lot of fun to read. Vamps, fairies, an author with a long leash, unicorns...quite a feat all in one book!
Loumangkessor "kessor" Chhouk
Jan 15, 2013 rated it did not like it
I'm so confused!!!!!
Serina
Sep 17, 2012 rated it liked it
one of those uniquely funny book that you can genuinely sit back and enjoy. i really liked it and although its not super funny, but did make me laugh out loud.
Mimi
Dec 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed reading the book. It made me laugh all the way.
Milena Barber
Nov 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
amazing! Weird twist though.
Jill
Nov 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Good adolescent read.
Marvin Hollon
Feb 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Not quite as good as "How to get suspended and Influence people", but still a pretty good read.
Cara
Oct 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was more of a 3.5 for me, but I'm rounding up because I really enjoyed the humor in the book.
I don't even know how to describe the story. I think the title sums up the kind of book it is.
Hanis Aida
Nov 25, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Adam Selzer blocked Goodreads on his computer for years but now he's on here, so let him have it. His first book was HOW TO GET SUSPENDED AND INFLUENCE PEOPLE (now available in a "Now With More Swearing") edition, his next one is PLAY ME BACKWARDS (for satanic young adults), and his best known is probably I KISSED A ZOMBIE AND I LIKED IT, a Twilight satire that was not marketed as a satire.

He also