Start by marking “The Knight and the Rose” as Want to Read:
The Knight and the Rose

The Knight and the Rose

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  172 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
He is her only means of escape…Lady Johanna FitzHenry is trapped. Her arranged marriage to Sir Fulk de Enderbya veteran of the wars against Robert the Brucekeeps her tethered to this brutal man, who sees her only as a means to her father’s fortune. But now a daring scheme offers her a slim, but precious, chance at freedom: a complete stranger who, for his own desperate r ...more
Published February 5th 2002 by Berkley (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Knight and the Rose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Knight and the Rose

Marquise
The good:

- The characters are attractive and believably fleshed-out. Geraint especially, he is a darling.
- The ambiance feels authentic and true to the period.
- Same about the language, it's not too faux old-fashioned as to be tiresome or hard to understand.
- The plot also is believable, as it does sound like something people of the time could've resorted to doing given the restrictions imposed on women in the era. That this was inspired by a real case, as the author explains at the end, makes i
Elis Madison
So I snagged this one at (shameless plug) 2nd and Charles, my new favorite used book store, because the word "Knight" grabbed my attention. I do love medieval stories.

The premise: Johanna FitzHenry is married to a man who beats her. When her father has a stroke (they didn't call it that back then but you'll recognize the symptoms), her mum can finally call her home. And hubby lets her go, cuz he's still waiting on a big chunk of her dowry and he expects her to make sure daddy coughs up before h
Sharil
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was about two-thirds of the way through this book, when I thought, "Wow! This is is like the "Gone of the Wind" of medieval tales". In actuality, we just have star-crossed lovers, an unlikely and reluctant pairing. With all of the twists, turns and drama it equals medieval soap opera. ...not always predictable and it takes a bit of reading in the beginning to become fully engaged in the characters and be drawn into the continuing saga.

This book is not for everyone. Written by an Australian (th
Nilab
Feb 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
this was one of the first romance novels I read when I was in high school and I remember falling so madly in love with Gervase de Lavel - to a point where I'd like to think he ruined my love life for a good while because I couldn't find a guy like him ha ha.

I only remember good things about this book, so will read it again and let you know if it was as good as I remember!
May 29, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
There were moments when this book went too slowly for me, but by the end, I was desperate to figure out the hero's secret! I was surprised.
Barbara Strickland
Enjoyable

I found the language and the history quite captivating and enjoyed the book on the whole. For me it lost pace about three quarters of the way through and did border on a little too long and too slow. This was a shame as the romance was beautifully set up and the portrayal of women was excellent.
Nancy
Apr 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great historical romance with the emphasis on historical. I just love the medieval images Isolde Martyn is able to conjure with her wonderfully written characters, settings, and historical facts. I loved the use of real historical facts and figures woven with the fictional storyline. I haven't read this in quite awhile and forgot some of the really unique twists in the story and some plot devices that I don't think I've seen in any other "romance" books that I've read. It is well written and a v ...more
Ender
Oct 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! it was castle time (come on , who hasn't thought about living in the medevil days?) and awesome! There are pretty scandolous love scenes, so if that bothers you, you may not want to read some parts but I loved this book! I intend to buy it. It made me cry at the end, not very end, but close to the end...so awesome.
Tristen
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
In audio

This style of writing really appeals to me. I find myself drawn in by the characters and even though it is fiction, the knowledge that many of the characters actually lived and historical events did occur within the story makes it seem so real.
The authors notes are also quite interesting especially on the languages spoken and research into acts of divorce during these times.
Karen Carlin
Dec 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Second read! I love this book!
  • My Beloved (Langlinais #1)
  • Herald of Joy (Wintercombe, #2)
  • The Marriage Bed (The Medieval Knight Series #2)
  • The Marriage of Meggotta
  • Rose of Rapture
  • The Lily and the Leopard
  • Saxon Bride (Bride #4)
  • For My Lady's Heart (Medieval Hearts, #1)
  • Banners of Gold (Alix of Wanthwaite, #2)
  • By The Sword (Guardians of the Crown, #1)
  • The Music of the Night (Night, #2)
  • The Rose Demon
  • The Morning Gift
  • Knight Triumphant (Graham, #4)
  • Dark Champion (Dark Champion, #2)
  • The Running Vixen (Ravenstow Trilogy, #2)
  • My Forever Love
  • Winterbourne (de Macy, #1)
Isolde is a lady with an absolute passion for history, and writing historical fiction is a wonderful way to share her enthusiasm.

Her debut novel THE MAIDEN AND THE UNICORN won a Rita for 'Best First Novel' in the US and the inaugural 'Romantic Book of the Year Award' in Australia.

Isolde has a History Honours degree from the University of Exeter, UK, with a specialization in Yorkist England, a lif
More about Isolde Martyn...