Start by marking “Chickamauga and Other Civil War Stories” as Want to Read:
Chickamauga and Other Civil War Stories

Chickamauga and Other Civil War Stories

Shelby Foote's monumental historical trilogy, "The Civil War: A Narrative," is our window into the day-by-day unfolding of our nation's defining event.  Now Foote reveals the deeper human truth behind the battles and speeches through the fiction he has chosen for this vivid, moving collection.

These ten stories of the Civil War give us the experience of joining a coachload
Published February 16th 2011 by Delta (first published October 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Chickamauga and Other Civil War Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chickamauga and Other Civil War Stories

Martha
I've out this one off so many times. Now's the time. :-)
Sue
Jun 06, 2014 Sue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelby Foote gathered stories from a selection of authors whose fiction accounts of the Civil War, he felt, best represented that time period. Authors include Mark Twain, William Faulkner, Eudora Welty, Ambrose Bierce, himself, Stephen Crane, and Stephen Vincent Benet. My favorite was verse written by Benet titled Fish-Hook Gettysburg. The author's powerful words paint incredible pictures i.e.
"his guns begin to peck at the pillared porches", "in a field, far off, a peaceable farmer puts his hand
Rosa Cline
This isn't a book that Shelby Foote wrote (like I originally thought) It's a collection of small stories from various authors all related to the Civil War. I found some of them not interesting at all and after reading half into them had to skip them but others I found really interesting and loved them and now know I like that author and will try and read more from that author. If you enjoy stories from the past then you would enjoy this book.
Jay
This was an interesting book with a bunch of short stories written by noted authors such as Shelby Foote and Mark Twain. It gave me a little insight to some of the things that happened not usually discussed in most Civil War books.
Dick
Apr 03, 2009 Dick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelby Foote is an acknowledged expert on the war and an outstanding writer.
Sean
Jul 04, 2014 Sean rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
No standouts, though the Fitzgerald, Welty, Twain, and Faulkner stories were all of note.
Toni
If you read short stories by Ambrose Bierce you need to find joy in perverse and unexpected twists and turns. I could only take so many or just small amounts in short time bursts.
Jim
The Burning, by Eudora Welty, and Pillar of Fire, by Shelby Foote, are by far the strongest stories in this collection, and they both are superb, especially Pillar of Fire.
MaryAnn
MaryAnn rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2014
Rocky Billbe
Rocky Billbe rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2017
Dennis
Dennis rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2012
Duceman
Duceman rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2012
Dennis Hart
Dennis Hart rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2011
Diana
Diana rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2010
Kimberly Josephine
Kimberly Josephine rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2013
Dfinbury
Dfinbury rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2015
Orlando Falvo
Orlando Falvo rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2010
Steve Opperman
Steve Opperman rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2010
Kevin
Kevin rated it liked it
Dec 18, 2008
Paul
Paul rated it liked it
Oct 12, 2010
Michael Farris
Michael Farris rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2013
Matthew A. Hamilton
Matthew A. Hamilton rated it really liked it
May 12, 2015
Travis Smith
Travis Smith rated it it was ok
Sep 10, 2013
Scott
Scott rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2012
Family Nehila
Family Nehila rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2012
Jeffrey
Jeffrey rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2011
racers
racers rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2008
Mark Costanza
Mark Costanza rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2013
Darryl
Darryl rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2015
Deborah J. Lee
Deborah J. Lee rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Shelby Dade Foote, Jr. was an American novelist and a noted historian of the American Civil War, writing a massive, three-volume history of the war entitled The Civil War: A Narrative. With geographic and cultural roots in the Mississippi Delta, Foote's life and writing paralleled the radical shift from the agrarian planter system of the Old South to the Civil Rights era of the New South. Foote wa ...more
More about Shelby Foote...