Start by marking “Enthralled: Paranormal Diversions” as Want to Read:
Enthralled: Paranormal Diversions

Enthralled: Paranormal Diversions

(Darkest Powers #3.6)

A journey may take hundreds of miles, or it may cover the distance between duty and desire.

Sixteen of today’s hottest writers of paranormal tales weave stories on a common theme of journeying. Authors such as Kelley Armstrong, Rachel Caine, and Melissa Marr return to the beloved worlds of their bestselling series, while others, like Claudia Gray, Kami Garcia, and Margaret
Published September 20th 2011 by HarperCollins (first published September 1st 2011)

Gracie O
Mar 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Just received my ARC. Can't wait to be enthralled by this book ;) And indeed, I was ^_^

Giovanni’s Farewell by Claudia Gray
It was a sweet, innocent story that melted my heart and kept me wishing for a longer story.

Scenic Route by Carrie Ryan & Red Run by Kami Garcia
These short stories were full of thrilling action-packed scenes and unexpected turns that kept me on the edge of my seat.

Things About Love by Jackson Pearce
Just like the title said, this story was on the things about love that
Christine
Jun 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: galley, ya
Maybe this wasn't a good choice for me to read because seven of the sixteen stories were from the author's series, most of which I haven't read.

Let me give you the break-down.

Giovanni's Farewell by Claudia Gray
Original short, as far as I could tell. It was cute and could be turned into a successful full length book (or series) should Claudia decide to pursue it.

Scenic Route by Carrie Ryan
Based in the same dystopian world as The Forest of Hands and Teeth series. It was gritty and sad and a little
Lucy
Mar 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Since Kelley Armstrong announced this anthology I've wanted to get my hands on it and now that I've finally read it I can say that it more than met my expectations. I'm usually wary of buying anthologies, because they always seem to be a mixed bag - some stories leave you wanting so much more while others leave you wondering why you bothered to read them in the first place. But with such a fantastic line-up of authors, Enthralled was perfection from start to finish. Here's my (non-spoilery!) tak ...more
Jasmin
Mar 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
omg almost all of my favourite authors are involved in this one. I honestly CANT WAIT ... I would have bought it just for kelleys story but no
Julia (ten_thousand_books)
I just know that Tori has lost more than any of us. First, her mother. Now her father. And although she tries to hide it, a big chunk of her self-confidence is gone, too. She's gone from being the popular girl to the one nobody wants around.

It's sad to find out about the loses Tori has to have in her life.
Her mother did show up again and Chloe had to have the courage to confront her after the murder. It was good for Chloe and I'm proud of her for stepping out of her she'll and giving that old
Eva
Feb 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2017
Story #1: Claudia Grey - Giovanni's Farewell.
What a crap short story. Insta-sorta-love within an hour and way to fast acceptance of freaky powers. ⭐

Story #2: Carrie Ryan - Scenic Route.
Thrilling! The Walking Dead with a little bit of love. Gripped me immediately. ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Story #3: Kami Garcia - Red Run.
Very very short, therefore impressive that Kami wrote a pretty cool plot twist in such a few pages. ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Story #4: Jackson Pearce - Things About Love
Not bad, not good. Sweet story. I think I will be re
Feb 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I only read two of the stories out of this book so I'll just give a quickie little review of them.

Neiderwald by Rachel Vincent

I really wanted to learn a little more about Sabine and that is what I got from this story. Sabine and Emma are heading home from an extra credit school assignment when Sabine wants to stop in Neiderwald. A town full of evil harpies. Sabine wants to visit a seer again so she can find out if she and Nash will ever get together. It turns out this seer is how she found Nash
i.
Sep 29, 2012 rated it liked it
What makes this book interesting is that you can find all sorts of stories about vampires,zombies, faeries and any paranormal thing you can think of. They all have some kind of journey in common.I liked some of them more than others and my favourite one was Leaving by Ally Condie, I wish she had written a whole book instead of just a short story.

In Leaving people live in what they call "shapes" in space,life on Earth is not possible anymore . They think of the past as a Beautiful Time when Beau
Asia
Mar 27, 2016 rated it liked it
I've only read "Niederwald" so the rating might change when I read the rest of the stories.
Lauren (Northern Plunder)
This review was first posted on Northern Plunder,part one here and part two here, if you want to see more reviews please click here.

Well obviously I'd have to tackle this book a little differently due to the fact its an anthology but because of my reading slump I've also decided to review half of it now and half of it later because I seem to be getting nowhere with no book even though I'm enjoying them! How does that work? I have no idea. As each story is only a short one I will try my very best
M.C.
Oct 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really liked this anthology of paranormal stories.
I will write my impression on each one of them, and rate them separately, as well as the whole book.
Let me just say before I begin that most of these stories are based on series, or books, previously published by these authors. Of these, I have only read As You Wish by Jackson Pearce and Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr, but I had no trouble enjoying most of the short stories.

Giovanni's Farewell by Claudia Gray
I liked this ghost story, although
Melissa
Apr 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Note: This rating is only based on Kelley Armstrong's story "Facing Facts". I haven't read any of the other authors books so there is not really a point to read the short stories, because I probably wouldn't understand them completely.

A SPOILER... for anyone who hasn’t read Kelley Armstrong’s Darkest Powers trilogy, which in includes The Summoning, The Awakening and The Reckoning.

This is a short story written about what we already have found out in the trilogy, which is that Kit is not only Si
Rachel Reads Ravenously
So, I can't really give this a rating since I only read 2 of the stories inside. I read the one by Kimberly Derting which was about her character Rafe and was disappointed; I was really hoping for a Rafe/Violet story going in. I also read the Kelley Armstrong short story which was kind of cool, but kind of whatever. I won't be reading books like this in the future. Not to say it was bad, it just really isn't for my tastes and liking.
Jul 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Short story about Tori finding out who her real father is.
Pam Victorio
Mar 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The only anthology I have ever read where not one story made me regret reading it. Full review to come closer to date but know this. It is TOTES worth reading.
Nicole
This is going to be a long review.

I love anthologies and I don't. It has to do with the fact that those stories are short and sweet. It is commitment free, however short stories can also be poor written and aprupt.

Lets see how this one does. Enthralled is centered on the theme of "journeying". It does not necessarily mean an actual journey or road-trip for every story. It could mean a journey within one's self to change or realization. I wondered how varying this theme could be without using the
Nicole - Too Weird To Live, Too Rare To Die-
“How many fingers am I holding up?" he inquired. Lucille regarded him blearily and said, "Avocado.”

4.5 even supernatural can find love stars

Have you ever wonder what kind of supernatural was out there, what they did in their spare time, if they hunted or even from your favorite stories came to life through your favorite characters. In our dreams we always wondered what it would be like to have psychic powers, to live forever or even to have powers that come up once in a while. These dream
Lauren
Unlike all my other reviews I plan on being somewhat helpful in this one, so Im going to review each story seperately with a few dot points. lets do this...

*Probs minor spoilers coming on*

Giovanni's Farewell by Claudia Gray:
- I found this one a little too simple. As in Giovanni's whole reasons for not moving on in his afterlife. Seriously? I thought there would be some dark twist after the kiss but it was just simply that. Meh.
- Characters felt flat and didnt really interest me. I think twins a
Lily
Jun 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Giovanni’s Farewell // Claudia Gray Stand Alone
This story follows Cairo and Ravenna, twins who never had a stable home in one area, but when they go on this trip to Rome with their school, strange things being to happen to both them. This story was interesting but it wasn’t great. I was expecting or rather hoping for a shocker and really didn’t get one. Twins are always said to hold powers so that was nothing new. Still a cute story nonetheless.

3 stars

Scenic Route // Carrie Ryan Stand Alone
This
Faye
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
First read: 2012
Re-read: November 2015

I originally bought this anthology for the stories by Rachel Vincent, Kelley Armstrong and Rachel Caine and they were the only ones I read at the time. I decided to re-read this in its entirety and I found that I had missed out on a lot on my first read because most of the stories in here are really good.

Giovanni's Farewell by Claudia Gray - 4/5
Scenic Route by Carrie Ryan - 4.5/5
Red Run by Kami Garcia - 4.5/5
Things About Love by Jackson Pearce - DNF

Niederwal
Kathy Martin
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This anthology has a theme of journeys, both actual and virtual. The idea of the anthology came from an author tour including quite a group of YA authors. I like anthologies because they give me a chance to sample authors I haven't yet read and also get new peeks into the world of authors I do read.

New to me authors in this anthology were Claudia Gray who wrote a story about twins who discover that they have psychic gifts, Carrie Ryan who writes a story about sisters trying to survive after an
Carrie
Jun 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Ok. Because this is an an anthology, I'll rate everything individually, and then make an average. Here goes...

Giovanni's Farewell by Claudia Gray: 5 stars
This one I liked because it was a legitimate short story, with developed characters and plot and everything. A lot of the other stories were based on books and really confusing for me, considering I've only read The Body Finder series (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) by Kimberly Derting, and the Matched series (HIGHLY DISAPPOINTING) by Ally Condie.
Sceni
Julie-anne
Dec 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
So my very awesome and Amazing friend, Danielle La Paglia, sent me this book as a surprise. And she even had it signed for me!

I wanted to read this as it has some of my favourite authors in it but with anthologies I'm always wary about buying a full book for a few authors. I thought with this review, I'd give my thoughts on all the stories.

Giovanni's Farewell by Claudia Gray
Very sweet little romance story.
I've never read anything by Claudia Gray before and I really enjoyed my first story by h
Kristin
This anthology did not disappoint me in the least! I read this around Halloween and it fit into the holiday season perfectly. Every story flowed into the next. When some got too "heavy", along came a story to rescue the mood. Here's my non-spoilery review of each story I read (and didn't read):

Giovanni's Farewell by Claudia Gray - A very sweet, touching short story that had me wishing for more of Ravenna and Cairo's story. I added Claudia Gray to my TBR pile. 4/5

Scenic Route by Carrie Ryan - Int
Mary (BookHounds)
Here are the stories contained in this anthology which all take some form of a detour. For an anthology, it is amazing since I didn't skip any stories! I usually find one or two that I just can't read.

Giovanni’s Farewell by Claudia Gray

This will leave you wanting more: twins develop supernatural powers while in Rome and have an adventure.

Scenic Route by Carrie Ryan

You will be extremely familiar with the post apocalyptic world here if you have read Carrie's previous zombie books. This one is jus
Kristina
Feb 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Originally published at Nose in a Book

What an enticing summary, isn't it? Totally makes you want to read it! Go, marketing department! (-_-) I picked this one up for two reasons: first, I love Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. Their Caster Chronicles series is one of the most divisive in terms of fans; you either love those books, or you hate them. I've never come across a person who doesn't have visceral feelings about Lena and Ethan. My second reason is I'm going to be starting the Soul Screamer
Annie
Apr 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, fantasy, young-adult
What finally decided me in picking up "Enthralled," a collection of short fantasy stories, is that it was dedicated to smart girls everywhere. I remember being a "smart girl," one who read fantasy novels partly because high school sometimes felt like one endless pep rally. There is a posse of fantasy authors for young adults, and I get the feeling that they felt the same way, and as adults have found each other and bonded together over the Internet.

"Enthralled" is a respectable collection. I rea
Yaa
Jun 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love short stories. Actually I think that its quite an understatement. I love short stories. I grew up reading Hans Christian Anderson’s tales, Aesop fables and others. The short story vibe is in my blood. Short stories can be about anything and everything and it takes great skill to write a memorable story in just a few words. They need to be interesting from start to finish and it needs to convey the idea effectively.

Enthralled was an interesting anthology. I enjoyed majority of the stories
Amber at Fall Into Books
Let me start off by saying that I'm not a huge fan of short stories, so this rating is probably a bit more subjective than I'd like to admit. That being said, when I saw Kelley Armstrong and Melissa Marr teamed up to edit this, and there were stories from many of my favorite authors in the book, I thought I'd give it a try. I checked it out from the library just in case I didn't like it, and I'm glad I did.

Authors that I usually love wrote stories that I wasn't too fond of. Rachel Caine's story
Deborah
This is a charmingly packaged anthology published by Harper Collins. Whom, it must be said, is just outstanding in its choices of YA literature and authors. Harper consistently publishes books of the highest quality and content, so with their novels you can almost guarantee a good read. The cover of this (and most of Harper's books) is wonderful and appropriate for the content. What I like about it is the nod to the sophistication of the young adult reader. There's no scared little girl looking ...more
http://www.stressfreebrains.com/focused-in-brain 1 1 Jun 05, 2017 12:49AM
  • Belonging (Darkest Powers, #3.5)
  • Evolve 2: Vampire Stories of the Future Undead (Otherworld Stories #10.1)
  • Teeth: Vampire Tales
  • Vampires: The Recent Undead
  • A Fantasy Medley (Otherworld Stories, #9.2; Crown of Stars, #7.5; Realms of the Elderlings)
  • Corsets & Clockwork: 13 Steampunk Romances
  • The First Time
  • Eternal: More Love Stories with Bite
  • Blood Lite II: Overbite  (Otherworld Stories, #10.3)
  • Chicks Kick Butt
  • Red Velvet and Absinthe
5 stars= If I love you, I'll buy you a copy from this list of books. (Pls note, if you are my family or dearest friends, feel free to remind me to do so. I am lousy w remembering birthdays/holidays.)

4 stars= Don't even ask to borrow it. You should prob buy it though.

3= If you borrow it, you better not lose it, mangle it, or keep it too long.

2 or 1 star= I don't use these. If it's not a 3 star or

Darkest Powers (3 books)
  • The Summoning (Darkest Powers, #1)
  • The Awakening (Darkest Powers, #2)
  • The Reckoning (Darkest Powers, #3)
“If you stay here, you become lost. And no one can find you.

I like lost.”
33 likes
“Vampires on TV give us an unhealthy body image stereotype too. Do you know how hard you have to work to get a body like those actors on True Blood or The Vampire Diaries? Try doing that when your blood vessels don’t work anymore and your muscles are slowly starting to waste away.” 22 likes