Start by marking “Enthralled: Paranormal Diversions” as Want to Read:
Enthralled: Paranormal Diversions

Enthralled: Paranormal Diversions

(Darkest Powers #3.6)

A journey may take hundreds of miles, or it may cover the distance between duty and desire.

Sixteen of today’s hottest writers of paranormal tales weave stories on a common theme of journeying. Authors such as Kelley Armstrong, Rachel Caine, and Melissa Marr return to the beloved worlds of their bestselling series, while others, like Claudia Gray, Kami Garcia, and Margaret
Published September 20th 2011 by HarperCollins (first published September 1st 2011)

Start your review of Enthralled: Paranormal Diversions
Gracie O
Mar 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Just received my ARC. Can't wait to be enthralled by this book ;) And indeed, I was ^_^

Giovanni’s Farewell by Claudia Gray
It was a sweet, innocent story that melted my heart and kept me wishing for a longer story.

Scenic Route by Carrie Ryan & Red Run by Kami Garcia
These short stories were full of thrilling action-packed scenes and unexpected turns that kept me on the edge of my seat.

Things About Love by Jackson Pearce
Just like the title said, this story was on the things about love that a ji
Christine
Jun 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: galley, ya
Maybe this wasn't a good choice for me to read because seven of the sixteen stories were from the author's series, most of which I haven't read.

Let me give you the break-down.

Giovanni's Farewell by Claudia Gray
Original short, as far as I could tell. It was cute and could be turned into a successful full length book (or series) should Claudia decide to pursue it.

Scenic Route by Carrie Ryan
Based in the same dystopian world as The Forest of Hands and Teeth series. It was gritty and sad and a little
Lucy
Mar 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Since Kelley Armstrong announced this anthology I've wanted to get my hands on it and now that I've finally read it I can say that it more than met my expectations. I'm usually wary of buying anthologies, because they always seem to be a mixed bag - some stories leave you wanting so much more while others leave you wondering why you bothered to read them in the first place. But with such a fantastic line-up of authors, Enthralled was perfection from start to finish. Here's my (non-spoilery!) tak ...more
Jasmin
Mar 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
omg almost all of my favourite authors are involved in this one. I honestly CANT WAIT ... I would have bought it just for kelleys story but no
Julia (ten_thousand_books)
I just know that Tori has lost more than any of us. First, her mother. Now her father. And although she tries to hide it, a big chunk of her self-confidence is gone, too. She's gone from being the popular girl to the one nobody wants around.

It's sad to find out about the loses Tori has to have in her life.
Her mother did show up again and Chloe had to have the courage to confront her after the murder. It was good for Chloe and I'm proud of her for stepping out of her she'll and giving that old
Tiffany
Jun 04, 2020 rated it it was ok
I’m marking this book as read even though I’ve only read the Melissa MArr story, Merely Mortal. I do have some prior experience with the works of Kami Garcia and Sarah Rees Brennan, enough to know that they at least write better and more interesting stories than Marr. That’s gotta count for something, I suppose.
Feb 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I only read two of the stories out of this book so I'll just give a quickie little review of them.

Neiderwald by Rachel Vincent

I really wanted to learn a little more about Sabine and that is what I got from this story. Sabine and Emma are heading home from an extra credit school assignment when Sabine wants to stop in Neiderwald. A town full of evil harpies. Sabine wants to visit a seer again so she can find out if she and Nash will ever get together. It turns out this seer is how she found Nash
i.
Sep 29, 2012 rated it liked it
What makes this book interesting is that you can find all sorts of stories about vampires,zombies, faeries and any paranormal thing you can think of. They all have some kind of journey in common.I liked some of them more than others and my favourite one was Leaving by Ally Condie, I wish she had written a whole book instead of just a short story.

In Leaving people live in what they call "shapes" in space,life on Earth is not possible anymore . They think of the past as a Beautiful Time when Beau
The Reading Raccoon

Merely Mortal by Melissa Marr
Facing Facts by Kelley Armstr
Asia
Mar 27, 2016 rated it liked it
I've only read "Niederwald" so the rating might change when I read the rest of the stories.
Lauren (Northern Plunder)
This review was first posted on Northern Plunder,part one here and part two here, if you want to see more reviews please click here.

Well obviously I'd have to tackle this book a little differently due to the fact its an anthology but because of my reading slump I've also decided to review half of it now and half of it later because I seem to be getting nowhere with no book even though I'm enjoying them! How does that work? I have no idea. As each story is only a short one I will try my very best
Eva
Feb 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2017
Story #1: Claudia Grey - Giovanni's Farewell.
What a crap short story. Insta-sorta-love within an hour and way to fast acceptance of freaky powers. ⭐

Story #2: Carrie Ryan - Scenic Route.
Thrilling! The Walking Dead with a little bit of love. Gripped me immediately. ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Story #3: Kami Garcia - Red Run.
Very very short, therefore impressive that Kami wrote a pretty cool plot twist in such a few pages. ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Story #4: Jackson Pearce - Things About Love
Not bad, not good. Sweet story. I think I will be re
M.C.
Oct 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really liked this anthology of paranormal stories.
I will write my impression on each one of them, and rate them separately, as well as the whole book.
Let me just say before I begin that most of these stories are based on series, or books, previously published by these authors. Of these, I have only read As You Wish by Jackson Pearce and Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr, but I had no trouble enjoying most of the short stories.

Giovanni's Farewell by Claudia Gray
I liked this ghost story, although
Melissa
Apr 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Note: This rating is only based on Kelley Armstrong's story "Facing Facts". I haven't read any of the other authors books so there is not really a point to read the short stories, because I probably wouldn't understand them completely.

A SPOILER... for anyone who hasn’t read Kelley Armstrong’s Darkest Powers trilogy, which in includes The Summoning, The Awakening and The Reckoning.

This is a short story written about what we already have found out in the trilogy, which is that Kit is not only Si
Rachel Reads Ravenously
So, I can't really give this a rating since I only read 2 of the stories inside. I read the one by Kimberly Derting which was about her character Rafe and was disappointed; I was really hoping for a Rafe/Violet story going in. I also read the Kelley Armstrong short story which was kind of cool, but kind of whatever. I won't be reading books like this in the future. Not to say it was bad, it just really isn't for my tastes and liking.
Pam Victorio
Mar 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The only anthology I have ever read where not one story made me regret reading it. Full review to come closer to date but know this. It is TOTES worth reading.
Jul 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Short story about Tori finding out who her real father is.
Nicole
This is going to be a long review.

I love anthologies and I don't. It has to do with the fact that those stories are short and sweet. It is commitment free, however short stories can also be poor written and aprupt.

Lets see how this one does. Enthralled is centered on the theme of "journeying". It does not necessarily mean an actual journey or road-trip for every story. It could mean a journey within one's self to change or realization. I wondered how varying this theme could be without using the
Nicole - Too Weird To Live, Too Rare To Die-
“How many fingers am I holding up?" he inquired. Lucille regarded him blearily and said, "Avocado.”

4.5 even supernatural can find love stars

Have you ever wonder what kind of supernatural was out there, what they did in their spare time, if they hunted or even from your favorite stories came to life through your favorite characters. In our dreams we always wondered what it would be like to have psychic powers, to live forever or even to have powers that come up once in a while. These drea
Lily
Jun 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Giovanni’s Farewell // Claudia Gray Stand Alone
This story follows Cairo and Ravenna, twins who never had a stable home in one area, but when they go on this trip to Rome with their school, strange things being to happen to both them. This story was interesting but it wasn’t great. I was expecting or rather hoping for a shocker and really didn’t get one. Twins are always said to hold powers so that was nothing new. Still a cute story nonetheless.

3 stars

Scenic Route // Carrie Ryan Stand Alone
This
Carrie
Jun 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Ok. Because this is an an anthology, I'll rate everything individually, and then make an average. Here goes...

Giovanni's Farewell by Claudia Gray: 5 stars
This one I liked because it was a legitimate short story, with developed characters and plot and everything. A lot of the other stories were based on books and really confusing for me, considering I've only read The Body Finder series (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) by Kimberly Derting, and the Matched series (HIGHLY DISAPPOINTING) by Ally Condie.
Sceni
Wealhtheow
A collection of sf/f stories. Generally these stories are at least solidly crafted, but all too many of them rely on the reader being already familiar with the characters. My favorites were probably "Scenic Route" and "Let's get this undead show on the road."

"Giovanni's Farewell," by Claudia Gray. A teenager is afraid her twin brother is going crazy--but then she sees a ghost, and her reality is shaken. I liked the relationship between the twins, but this story was very short and lightweight.

"Sc
Kristin
This anthology did not disappoint me in the least! I read this around Halloween and it fit into the holiday season perfectly. Every story flowed into the next. When some got too "heavy", along came a story to rescue the mood. Here's my non-spoilery review of each story I read (and didn't read):

Giovanni's Farewell by Claudia Gray - A very sweet, touching short story that had me wishing for more of Ravenna and Cairo's story. I added Claudia Gray to my TBR pile. 4/5

Scenic Route by Carrie Ryan - Int
Mary
Jun 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Here are the stories contained in this anthology which all take some form of a detour. For an anthology, it is amazing since I didn't skip any stories! I usually find one or two that I just can't read.

Giovanni’s Farewell by Claudia Gray

This will leave you wanting more: twins develop supernatural powers while in Rome and have an adventure.

Scenic Route by Carrie Ryan

You will be extremely familiar with the post apocalyptic world here if you have read Carrie's previous zombie books. This one is jus
Kristina
Feb 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Originally published at Nose in a Book

What an enticing summary, isn't it? Totally makes you want to read it! Go, marketing department! (-_-) I picked this one up for two reasons: first, I love Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. Their Caster Chronicles series is one of the most divisive in terms of fans; you either love those books, or you hate them. I've never come across a person who doesn't have visceral feelings about Lena and Ethan. My second reason is I'm going to be starting the Soul Screamer
Faye
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
First read: 2012
Re-read: November 2015

I originally bought this anthology for the stories by Rachel Vincent, Kelley Armstrong and Rachel Caine and they were the only ones I read at the time. I decided to re-read this in its entirety and I found that I had missed out on a lot on my first read because most of the stories in here are really good.

Giovanni's Farewell by Claudia Gray - 4/5
Scenic Route by Carrie Ryan - 4.5/5
Red Run by Kami Garcia - 4.5/5
Things About Love by Jackson Pearce - DNF

Niederwal
Kathy Martin
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This anthology has a theme of journeys, both actual and virtual. The idea of the anthology came from an author tour including quite a group of YA authors. I like anthologies because they give me a chance to sample authors I haven't yet read and also get new peeks into the world of authors I do read.

New to me authors in this anthology were Claudia Gray who wrote a story about twins who discover that they have psychic gifts, Carrie Ryan who writes a story about sisters trying to survive after an
Lauren
Unlike all my other reviews I plan on being somewhat helpful in this one, so Im going to review each story seperately with a few dot points. lets do this...

*Probs minor spoilers coming on*

Giovanni's Farewell by Claudia Gray:
- I found this one a little too simple. As in Giovanni's whole reasons for not moving on in his afterlife. Seriously? I thought there would be some dark twist after the kiss but it was just simply that. Meh.
- Characters felt flat and didnt really interest me. I think twins a
Julie-anne
Dec 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
So my very awesome and Amazing friend, Danielle La Paglia, sent me this book as a surprise. And she even had it signed for me!

I wanted to read this as it has some of my favourite authors in it but with anthologies I'm always wary about buying a full book for a few authors. I thought with this review, I'd give my thoughts on all the stories.

Giovanni's Farewell by Claudia Gray
Very sweet little romance story.
I've never read anything by Claudia Gray before and I really enjoyed my firs
Katie
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya
Merely Mortal By Melissa Marr

I'm not exactly sure why I chose to read this novella. It was quite boring and honestly a complete waste of my time. This can't even be called a novella because it was all of thirty pages long. Therefore it doesn't even count. Melissa Marr should have just left the series where it was at. That would have made this a whole lot better for me. Because there's not much I can say about this to be quite honest. If it was a little bit longer than I suppose I could write mor
http://www.stressfreebrains.com/focused-in-brain 1 1 Jun 05, 2017 12:49AM

• My Soul to Save (Soul Screamers, #2)
  • The Gathering (Darkness Rising, #1)
  • Kisses from Hell
  • Wolf's Curse (Otherworld Stories #13.9)
  • Dating Disasters of Emma Nash
  • Never to Sleep (Soul Screamers, #5.5)
  • If I Die (Soul Screamers, #5)
  • My Soul to Steal (Soul Screamers, #4)
  • Reaper (Soul Screamers, #3.5)
  • My Soul to Keep (Soul Screamers, #3)
  • A Day in the Afterlife of Tod (Soul Screamers, #4.1)
  • My Soul to Take (Soul Screamers, #1)
  • Foretold: 14 Tales of Prophecy and Prediction
  • Wolf's Bane (Otherworld: Kate and Logan, #1)
  • My Soul to Lose (Soul Screamers, #0.5)
  • The Awakening (Darkest Powers, #2)
  • The Rising (Darkness Rising, #3)
  • Girls Save the World in This One

Melissa Marr is a former university literature instructor who writes fiction for adults, teens, and children. She is best known for the Wicked Lovely series for teens, the Graveminder for adults, and her debut picturebook Bunny Roo, I Love You.

Her books have been translated into twenty-eight languages and been bestsellers internationally as well as domestically (NY Times, Los Angeles Times, USA T

Darkest Powers (3 books)
  • The Summoning (Darkest Powers, #1)
  • The Awakening (Darkest Powers, #2)
  • The Reckoning (Darkest Powers, #3)