Start by marking “Bless the Child” as Want to Read:
Bless the Child

Bless the Child

AN INNOCENT CHILD IN MORTAL DANGER.
AN AGE-OLD BATTLE BETWEEN GOOD AND EVIL. Praised for creating fiction that "will keep you turning pages night after night" "(The Dallas Morning News)," bestselling author Cathy Cash Spellman imagines a terrifying realm of devilish menace in a novel that will touch your heart -- and chill you to the bone.

Vibrant, youthful, and a grandmoth
Published August 1st 2000 by Pocket Books (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Bless the Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bless the Child

rat
Oct 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
I first read this book when I was seven, and I loved it, thought god only knows what I thought was going on. I've re-read it pretty much continuously ever since and I still love it just as much, although I like to think I can follow the plot better now :P The plot is fabulous and I've never seen a writer interweave the different aspects of Maggie's timelines so tightly as in this novel.
Jenn
This book seemed so terribly long. I should have read the back as I wasn’t really in the mood for such a religious book. Exorcism, good vs evil, satanists...maybe it was written too long ago to be truly enjoyable. I would have preferred much more from the child’s viewpoint.
Julie Chettle
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Too long, too confusing, too much angst from the priest, could have been so much better, without all that guff from Peter, the priest, the other characters could have been more developed. I enjoyed the Rabbi and Ellie, the Egyptology but not much else. Labelled horror, it was mildly horrific, seemed to me the author couldn't decide what she was actually writing, romance, religion, horror. I almost gave up many times, don't know why I bothered finishing it.
Ryan
Aug 15, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I saw this book at the Friends of the Library Bookstore, sometime last year, I knew the title was familiar but couldn't remember why. I went ahead and bought the hardcover, for $1, and took it home. It's been sitting on my shelves ever since, but since this was Halloween month, I wanted to get it read. Once I started reading it, I realized why it was so familiar. This was the book the Kim Basinger movies, of the same name, was based off of. Luckily for me, the book was way better than the m ...more
Bryan D
Honestly, I use the word Read lightly, I skimmed through a fair chunk of it because it was a chore, good concept, sporadically violent, but this book shouldn't have been 500 pages long, the amount of unnecessary shite that suffocated it was tedious and prolonged the question of what will happen to the child. Does anyone remember the disclaimer on William Goldman's book The Princess Bride where it's the Good Parts version? This book is what happens when someone doesn't condense it to the point wh ...more
Christine
Jan 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is a great example of why books are better than movies; they are so much more in depth! There was so much more to the plot of this story in this book. I couldn't stop reading! This usually isn't my type of read, but it hooked me and kept me interested until the end. I recommend this book to anyone!
Alyssa Hubbard
Dec 19, 2018 rated it liked it
I ended up abandoning this book about halfway through. I really liked the book at the beginning. I had high hopes for it only to be let down. I was expecting this to be a lot more horror filled. But it really wasn’t. I like reading horror books based around exorcisms, satan, & demonic possessions things of that nature. I was fully expecting to read a lot of that when I started this book. To me this book had way too much romance going on. That’s the quickest thing to turn me off from a book. ...more
Sue Brown
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Powerful reading

Scary, and engrossing, and ultimately satisfying when good triumphs over evil. A really great read with lots of philosophy and theology to engage my mind. Just right.
Shelly Nielsen
Apr 12, 2019 rated it liked it
A little on the terrifying side and seemed like quite a departure for this author.
K. T.
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A young grandmother fighting her own daughter and SATAN for the soul of her grandchild? A spine chilling read. Kept me up the night I started it andd couldn't put it down until sunrise.
Ryan Tauber
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wow! This book was awesome! While there are a lot of "info-dumps" throughout the novel, they're written in a format that prevents them from being boring at all. The story kept me engrossed the entire time! I had trouble putting it down! All of the books heroes were wonderful, very likeable characters! I also loved all of the theologies of the different religions added for the story.
Ani
May 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own, i-d-read-again
Julie Decker
Jul 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Maggie is a responsible grandmother who's been tasked with raising her granddaughter Cody when her drug-addicted daughter abandoned her years ago. But Maggie isn't just any grandmother; unbeknownst to everyone (even herself), she's a destined guardian, while Cody is a spiritual messenger from Isis, sent to bring goodness. Unfortunately, her spiritual opposite, Eric, is sent from Sekhmet to conquer the power of good, and he manipulates the legal system to marry Cody's mother and acquire legal gua ...more
Sandra Ramirez-Noguchi
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
What happens when your teenage drug-addicted daughter whom you haven’t seen in years, drops off her newborn baby for you to take care of and then takes off?
What if she returned 3 years later to take her daughter into a powerful satanic cult and there was nothing you could do?
What if you learned of their horrific plot to use your granddaughter to bring forth all destruction on humanity?
Maggie O’Connor will stop at nothing to get Cody back. With the aid of an Exorcist, Rabbi, and Lieutenant – am
Liz Bonnet
Dec 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
AN INNOCENT CHILD IN MORTAL DANGER.
AN AGE-OLD BATTLE BETWEEN GOOD AND EVIL.

Praised for creating fiction that "will keep you turning pages night after night" (The Dallas Morning News), bestselling author Cathy Cash Spellman imagines a terrifying realm of devilish menace in a novel that will touch your heart -- and chill you to the bone.

Vibrant, youthful, and a grandmother at forty-two, Maggie O'Connor has lovingly raised her drug-addicted daughter's child ever since the newborn appeared on her
Suzanne Strack
I like the premise of the book - what would you do to save your child? (or in this case grandchild)
I finished the book, because I wanted to find out what happened to Cody, the granddaughter who was taken at age 3 from her loving grandmother, and forced to live in a 50-room mansion where people and animals were tortured (skinned alive for example). This mansion is headed by Eric, Cody's stepfather, who is extremely into worshipping evil and darkness.
However, I can't really say I liked the book. I
Marcie
May 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book was incredibly disappointing to me. I am surprised that I even finished it. However the author gave just enough bait to keep me hanging on until the end...now I wish I hadn't. The copy I read had 477 pages and in my opinion 200 of those pages could've been eliminated. There was SO much back story and detail that I found myself getting bored and wishing for the good stuff to finally happen. Furthermore, I feel the author did a horrible job tying in all of the relentless back story with ...more
Lian Lord
Sep 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Captivating and emotional, this book will pull at the heart-strings of most that read it, providing you dont easily offend by religious references or mention of the devil. I have read this book every 5/6 years and am just as spellbound by it each time, however, DO NOT WATCH THE FILM if you are remotely interested in the book, as the whole basis of the story, the religion, egyptian methology and all other plot important information is completely swept under the carpet, I was so mad, the film shou ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Nov 12, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy
Strangely, This is one of the few books where I've got to say, I found the movie to be better. I'm sure some will disagree. I have seen some very high ratings for this book, but I found it unreadable. The set up was apparently intended to be a sort of examination of "religion" and good vs. evil. The use of straw man arguments etc. along with what I found a poor story left me cold. It seems so odd to me to say I enjoyed the movie but not the book.
Jayne Lamb
I think I did appreciate this from the point of view of the writer (who is pretty much the main character - did I mention that all the 'good' male characters fall in love with her?)|
Presuming she's Catholic, but wanting to provide an acceptable 'Christian' way of writing about the Goddess. That factor is kind of interesting, and she's definitely convinced herself by the end that 'feminism' and 'Traditional Catholicism' are not mutually exclusive.
(They are, but don't tell her that.)
Jun 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who would listen
Recommended to Laura by: my mom actually
If there was ever a book as an adult that made reading fun and exciting. it would have to be this one. The way everything is laid out you move from good to bad in a way that keeps you on your toes but at the same time doesn't make you want to commit murder. if i had to pick a book that changed my reading habit as an adult it would be this book above all others.
Nicole
Mar 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you saw, and were severely disappointed in, the movie, have faith! This book has more depth and intrigue in 1 chapter than the entire movie. The fantastic blend of modern Christianity and the ancient Egyptian worship of Isis will leave you pondering the reasons for your own faith. Completely captivating.
Carrie Talbot-Ashby
Jul 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Have read this book a dozen times or more now, its wonderful, spell-binding, and un-pu-downable! :-) I love the connection between Maggie & Cody, its spiritual, and really draws you in. The horrors that lurk in this book are ones nightmares are made of, SO much better than the film, but then, ain't they always!
Benson Lott
Oct 31, 2010 rated it liked it
Okay, I change my mind. This book is getting much more interesting now that I'm a little bit deeper into it. Lesson learned: never rate a book 'til your absolutely sure how you feel about it. Some may offer surprises beyond the one fifty page marker.
Colleen
Jan 30, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: adult-fiction
I did not like his book and read it very fast to see how it ended. It is very different from the rest of her books. Good versus Evil, black magic, metaphysical. In the end all are re-united and happy.
Janet
May 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Absolute all-time favorite book!
Karen
Jul 30, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommended to Karen by: noone
This has got to be the sickest book I have ever read --i couldn't finish it I was so disgusted. Gore for the sake of gore
Anna
Aug 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book was fantastic. Absolutly loved it. I don't recommend this book to anyone who is real religious because it can be offensive in a way but a good scarey book
Nina Pelletier-Powers
Jun 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
My favorite book ever! I re-read this one every five years or so. The movie really killed the amazing storyline of the book.
Robin
Aug 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The book was a million times better than that God-awful movie

• The Secret Journal of Ichabod Crane
  • The Serpent's Shadow: The Graphic Novel (The Kane Chronicles, #3)
  • Billy
  • Rose of the Oath: A Beauty and the Beast Novella (Legends of Light # 1)
  • Afterage
  • Zarina and the Djinn (Once Upon a Spell, #5)
  • A Face at the Window
  • Kingdom Hearts: Final Mix Vol. 2
  • Roses in Amber: A Beauty and the Beast story
  • The Mortal Instruments: The Graphic Novel, Vol. 2
  • The World on Blood
  • Slave of My Thirst
  • Inuyasha, Volume 02 (VIZBIG Edition)
  • Wildwood
  • Tomb of the Khan (Assassin's Creed: Last Descendants #2)
  • Assassin's Creed: The Official Movie Novelization
  • The Devil's Woods
  • Night Warriors (Night Warriors, #1)
Cathy Cash Spellman is a best-selling author of multiple books that have been on The New York Times Bestseller List and International Bestseller lists, in both hardcover and paperback. Bless the Child became a Paramount movie starring Kim Basinger and Jimmy Smits, and has developed a cult following since it's Paramount release in 2000. Cathy's books have been sold in 22 countries.

Cathy was born to