Start by marking “The King's Speech” as Want to Read:
The King's Speech

The King's Speech

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  5,432 Ratings  ·  856 Reviews
Lionel Logue was a self-taught and virtually unknown Australian speech therapist. Yet it was this outgoing, amiable man who almost single-handedly turned the nervous, tongue-tied Duke of York into one of Britain's greatest kings after his brother, Edward VIII, abdicated in 1936 over his love for Mrs Simpson.

The King's Speech: How One Man Saved the British Monarchy is the p
Published April 1st 2011 by Quercus Publishing (first published November 30th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The King's Speech, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The King's Speech

Cathy
4.5 stars. I expected to skim the book to see what the real story behind the movie was, where the movie differed from reality, and maybe a bit more info about Logue. But I ended up reading every word! Let me be clear though, this is not the story of the movie. It's a shame that the cover has a picture from the film. I know it's good for sales, but it's misleading for people who will expect a similar narrative story. The movie was the dramatization of some of the events in the book. It covered a ...more
Diane
I wanted to read this because I had really enjoyed the movie version and was curious how much of the events in the film had been fictionalized. Surprisingly, the movie was fairly accurate.

Mark Logue, who is the grandson of speech therapist Lionel Logue, used family scrapbooks, journals and letters to create this account of Lionel's experience helping the Duke of York (later known as King George VI) with his lifelong stammer. The two men became friends, which seemed to comfort the Duke as he trie
BAM The Bibliomaniac
A man with a debilitating speech impediment may refuse to communicate regardless of his role and class in society. Being thrown onto the throne of the British empire immediately puts a spotlight on his mouth and what comes out. He has no choice, can tender no excuse. The support system George VI found in his wife and Logue was invaluable. What progress; no just progress, but healing. George VI became an upright, respected, and progressive leader of his generation and a positive role model for hi ...more
Megan Baxter
Have you seen the movie with Colin Firth? Okay then. Well, that's that review done!

Okay, I'm mostly kidding. And actually, the book is a bit different from the movie, but for reasons that I can entirely understand. However, in the series of incidents, they are very close, although Geoffrey Rush certainly came off as more eccentric in the movie than Lionel Logue does in the book.

Note: The rest of this review has been withdrawn due to the changes in Goodreads policy and enforcement. You can read w
Book Concierge
Book on CD read by Simon Vance
3.5***

Subtitled: How One Man Saved the British Monarchy
That may be a bit of an exaggeration, but Lionel Logue certainly seemed to have saved at least one monarch. At the urging of his wife Elizabeth, the Duke of York (known to the royal family as “Bertie”) began to see speech therapist Lionel Logue for help in overcoming a lifelong stammer. His father, King George V, insisted that his sons begin to take on more royal responsibilities, and the introduction of radio
Amy
May 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
Unlike most books-turned-movies, the book The King's Speech was written after the movie came out. It is a fascinating read. Mark Logue records the story of his grandfather, Lionel Logue, and Logue's relationship with King George VI. Their friendship was a lot more involved and intricate than the movie portrayed. Logue frequently references primary sources of the two men from speeches, journal entries, and letters.
I highly recommend this one!
Heather
Mar 20, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography-memoir
two and a half stars
-as the author stated the movie was a biopic, not a documentary and this book served to related how Logue's life intersected with the life of the King based on his papers and diaries
-it's a dry, chronological summary of Logue's life and has the added benefit of suppling his reactions and feelings about the King. It was clear that both men respected one another and had a unique and generous friendship.
-after i saw the movie i read about 1500 pages of biographies on the queen m
Wendy
I loved the movie The King's Speech, which is why I bought this book. Now...I still like the movie, but I don't really love it anymore. This is one of those times when the real story outstrips the movie version by lengths, I think. Of course, not everyone will agree with me, but that's all right. Differences of opinion make the world interesting, as that one fellow said. Can't remember who.

Anyway, I really, really liked this book, in spite of the dry, documentary, 'so-and-so wrote this, and so-a
Jane (PS)
Dec 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, audiobook

What a great story - made more impressive/interesting by the fact that it is true. I'm not a history, royalty or war buff, with limited interest in those topics, so perhaps this is part of the reason why I found this personal history so absorbing. I loved the very detailed and intimate writings about some of the 20th Centuries most notable figures, include Edward and Mrs Simpson.

I loved the portrayal of Bertie and Elizabeth. Some of the earlier information was pretty confusing. Not only
Sarah Beaudoin
Jan 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am not sure which came first, the movie or the book (even the author's introduction is ambivalent on this point) but each version of The King's Speech tell a slightly different version of the same great story. King George VI had a terrible speech impediment and after no success with countless doctors, enlisted the help of Australian Lionel Logue, a self taught speech therapist and elocutionist, to train him to speak correctly.

The book The King's Speech is written by Lionel Logue's grandson, Ma
Cassandra
Nov 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lionel Logue ist ein Sprachtherapeut, der mit voller Liebe und Hingabe sich um seine Patienten bemüht und sein bekanntester Patient ist der spätere britische König George VI.. Was als normale Patienten-Therapeuten Beziehung beginnt, wandelt sich im Laufe der Jahre zu einer tiefen Männerfreundschaft, die voll gegenseitigem Respekt ist.

Wer den Film ‚The King’s Speech‘ gesehen hat, wird sich vielleicht für die reale Geschichte hinter der Kinoversion interessieren und wird hier bestens informiert.
Isabel
That was a lovely quick read. Thoroughly enjoyed it and although it, once more, showed how much films are changed to make things more dramatic, it still made me feel warm and fuzzy about the film.
Oh, and I had to make myself remember over and over that CF was *not* the king but the one whose photos and moments on film I've seen often enough. You see, I was forever picturing CF while reading the book.

Anyway, I highly recommend this book for those who watched the film already and loved it.
Espec
Mª João Monteiro
Livro interessante, que relata o acompanhamento do rei George VI de Inglaterra desde antes de ser rei pelo terapeuta Lionel Logue, relatado pelo seu neto, a partir de fontes reais. Retrata mais do que o filme e é bastante interessante, dando uma imagem abrangente da família real. Para mim, que falo todo o dia para tanta gente, é ainda mais próximo.
Mom
May 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It was well written and full of interesting information. I learned a lot about the second World War that I didn't know and clarified things that I did. It's a great companion to other books that I have read about World War II and the Royal family.
Evikulik
Film kralova rec patri k jednym z mojich najoblubenejsich, preto ma kniha ako taka zaujala a som rada, ze som jej dala sancu. Vo filme boli udaje samozrejme trosku okresane a preto som rada, ze vdaka knihe som si zas rozsirila obzory. Kniha vychadza hlavne z denniku, ktory si viedol samotny Logue a aj jeho manzelka. Na zaciatku sa viac dozvedame o samotnom Loguovi, nasledne aj o kralovskej rodine a od okamihu zoznamenia Logua s Bertiem sa dostaneme az k ich smrti. Kniha podava citatelovi velmi d ...more
Marc Maitland
Having seen the film recently, and having been thoroughly moved by it, and enjoyed every minute of it, reading the book of the same name seemed an obvious choice! I was not disappointed.

Firstly, the book is not a screenplay for the film, nor is it simply a biography of Lionel Logue, C.V.O., the Australian speech therapist who helped King George VI overcome his speech difficulties and became a loyal and valued friend in the process. The book seems to have been devised at the same time as the film
Vismay
Jan 06, 2017 rated it liked it
‘The King’s Speech’ tells me that appearances matter, more so – when it is the question of British Monarchy. An inspirational figurehead, the king is supposed to rally the support of his subjects around important issues of the day – for that a skill of oratory is must. And the job of the ruler becomes all the more difficult, if he is ruling half the world and has an awful stammer. ‘The King’s Speech’ is the story of how Lionel Logue, ‘a common colonial’, aids George VI in getting over his stamme ...more
Ray Campbell
Jul 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012
This is not a novelization. This is a biography of Lionel Logue by his grandson. Inevitably, the book is also a study and biography of King George VI. The story begins in Australia during the 19th century when Logue was born. Logue's story is interesting since he travels the world before settling in London and beginning the speech therapy practice which ultimately leads to his work with the king. The bulk of the book covers the years Logue worked with the king since it was also the bulk of his l ...more
❆ Crystal ❆
2.5 stars. I liked parts of this book well enough. Interesting subject about stuttering and how Logue was able to help the King and others as well. I found it informative and interesting at times. I did get bogged down with all the speeches. It seemed like either the book could have been shorter, or other interesting events put in their place, but it felt very repetitive to list all the speeches he made at the time. I also had issue with the author going pages and pages before listing the year. ...more
Autumn
Wow. I did not see that coming. enjoying this memoir while finding that strength that often fails me to keep going.

It was enlightening to read how Bertie found his own voice, by conquering his own shadows. I also admired the tenacity of his wife Elizabeth and the infallible faith that Lionel transmitted to the ppl that needed most.

"Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is a quiet voice at the end of the day, saying. .."I will try again tomorrow."
Jamie Collins
This is a nice supplement to the movie, which is an excellently dramatised version of the story but necessarily takes liberties, especially with the timeline. The reality is slightly less exciting, perhaps, but it’s still a poignant tale. If you’ve already read a biography of George VI then there’s not much new information here, but the book is worth reading for its focus on his speech, and for the story of Logue and his interaction with the royal family.
Sep 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an incredible story - the unlikely bond between these two men and the ways they helped each other was truly touching. I love the movie, but the book added so much more depth and context. At times, I was overwhelmed by the details and dates, but for the most part it was clear to follow. If you have any interest in the monarchy, WWII, speech therapy, or even just unlikely friendships, I recommend this book.
Valya Tomova
Aug 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Беше ми доста интересно, любопитно и увлекателно. Истински герои, истински събития. Невероятна книга!
Donald Owens II
May 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. This is an engaging account of King George VI and his speech therapist Lionel Logue. It is the best kind of history: respectful, well researched, and with new, fascinating information in every chapter. Though the title may be a bit melodramatic, it is an invigorating book, and a corrective for the fine, though not so accurate, movie.
Claire Muir
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A moving and engaging history.
Ivana
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read if you're looking for an easy to read, relaxation book with a little bit of historical facts and the insights of the British monarchy.
Wayne
Jan 04, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone...members of dysfunctional families, royals and royalists, stammerers,
Recommended to Wayne by: an article on the film
Having read the book and seen the film, can safely say YES to both.
The book -an interesting footnote to history and a much more significant film with fine acting, direction and production and a wonderful blend of humour and humanity in the script. It certainly deserves any awards it gets, whereas the book would not win any awards,which does not make it any the less an interesting historical document.

But this is a book review not a film review....SO: - interesting but occasionally unaware of itse
Gerry
Jul 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lionel Logue is not a name that was very familiar to many of us but 'The King's Speech' puts that little matter right as he was undoubtedly the man who helped make George VI into the excellent King that he was.

When Logue first encountered the then Duke of York, that gentleman's speech was poor as he stammered and paused so often that it was embarrassing for him. And his father George V would often lose patience with him and chastise him, which only made the Duke of York worse.

Logue was born in A
The Parchment Review
To copy and paste a review from my blog, The Parchment Review (http://parchmentreviews.wordpress.com/) this is what I think of it:

The King’s Speech, by Mark Logue and Peter Conradi, is a non-fiction account of King George VI and his battle with stammering, helped by his friend and speech therapist, Lionel Logue. But of course, anyone who’s seen the movie already knows this.

King George VI of England had a terrible speech defect where he couldn’t stop stammering when speaking. This was obviously
Al Bità
A rather pedestrian presentation of otherwise comparatively unknown personal events at a time of great crisis in the world, this book seems to rely only on well-researched material from private diaries not normally accessible to the general public. Extra incisive commentary seems lacking. Nevertheless, the book is easy to read, and I'm sure many will find it enjoyable enough.

For me, the most interesting aspects of the book are its probably unwitting revelations about societal customs of the time
Sherlock Homies: Introduction 7 7 Apr 15, 2015 06:28PM
  • Shooting Victoria: Madness, Mayhem, and the Rebirth of the British Monarchy
  • The Queen Mother: The Official Biography
  • Elizabeth
  • Catherine the Great
  • The Last Duel: A True Story of Crime, Scandal, and Trial by Combat in Medieval France
  • The Secret History of MI6
  • Katherine Swynford: The Story of John of Gaunt and His Scandalous Duchess
  • The Matrix
  • Crown and Country: A History of England Through the Monarchy
  • Victoria's Daughters
  • Royal Panoply: Brief Lives of the English Monarchs
  • Neptune: The Allied Invasion of Europe and the D-Day Landings
  • The Secret Life of Bletchley Park: The WWII Codebreaking Centre and the Men and Women Who Worked There
  • Katherine the Queen: The Remarkable Life of Katherine Parr
  • Majesty: Queen Elizabeth II and the House of Windsor
  • The Real Elizabeth: An Intimate Portrait of Queen Elizabeth II
  • The Man Who Never Died: The Life, Times, and Legacy of Joe Hill, American Labor Icon
  • Queen Victoria's Gene Haemophilia and the Royal Family

“When the fresh patient comes to me the usual query is: "Will I be able to speak like the King?" and my reply is: "Yes, if you will work like he does." [says Lionel Logue]” 3 likes
“I admit I can still run a mile, [Lionel Logue replied,] though I'm not keen on doing it; and you know you can keep young in spirit if you make friends and keep them” 2 likes