Start by marking “Tomorrow's Children: 18 Tales Of Fantasy And Science Fiction” as Want to Read:
Tomorrow's Children: 18 Tales Of Fantasy And Science Fiction

"Junior Achievement" by William Lee
"Cabin Boy" by Damon Knight
"The Little Terror"
Paperback
Published October 1st 1974 by Futura Publications (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about Tomorrow's Children, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tomorrow's Children

Nandakishore Varma
Oct 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is one of my treasured SF collections, where I like almost all the stories - and absolutely love some of them.

I like children, whether they be in the lying-on-their-back-drooling stage, the snotty-bawling-and-brawling-brat-stage, the neither-here-nor-there-tween-stage or infuriatingly-maddening-teen-stage. Childhood is a terrifying, exhilarating and frustrating banana republic. And don't think it's going to change in the future - and according to the authors of this volume, it won't.

We have
Jim
Aug 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
It has some of the best SF stories ever compiled. I'm not much on stories about kids, but this collection is more about humanity in general. It does a great job of pointing out our condition(s) through the stories of some of the best SF authors out there. I've read it several times, most of the stories more than once as they're in other books in my collection. I don't grow tired of them, though.

Here's the list:
Ray Bradbury: All Summer in a Day
Robert Heinlein: The Menace From Earth
Damon Knight
Lisa H.
Feb 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those rare collections of short stories that sticks with you. I read it for the first time a long, long time ago - probably in the early 1970s - and I can still tell you without looking almost half of the stories it contains: Asimov's "The Ugly Little Boy"; Phillip K. Dick's "The Father-Thing"; "Star Bright" (don't remember who wrote it); Jerome Bixby's "It's a Good Life"; Zenna Henderson's "Gilead"; Fritz Leiber's "A Pail of Air"; Ray Bradbury's "All Summer in a Day." All stories ...more
Phil
May 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was the very book that sent me on my love of science fiction. I read it from the public library when I was nine years old. I'm sure that I helped that library wear out a copy.
Timothy Hicks
No Life of Their Own by Clifford D. Simak

Not that I've ever read Tom Sawyer or Huckleberry Finn, but the characterization and atmosphere of this story was a lot like that - with the exception of aliens, of course. Who would have thought of mixing a Missouri drawl, and extra-terrestrials together? While not super deep... It has that lighthearted surreality about it, that makes for an easy-going read. Imaginative and fun.

The Accountant by Robert Sheckley

A whimsical satire, featuring a boy's dream
Undine
Oct 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a shock to see I'm not the only one who remembers this anthology as one of THE books from childhood days! I first read this book when I was eight years old, and had such fond memories of it that when I recently stumbled across a copy in my local library, I had to look through it again. I was amazed to find that it had lost none of its appeal for me in adulthood.

The reason for its unjustified obscurity, I believe, is that it was originally marketed as a "kids' book" (I found this in the "Chi
Allison
Apr 13, 2015 added it
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi

Of the 18 stories that are in Tomorrow's Children, I enjoyed The Ugly Little Boy the most. This was a story about time travel, experimentation and a small ape like boy named Timmie who is under the care of a compassionate nurse. Being that this story is about times travel, experimenting on non domesticated beings (Timmie) the story allows you to develop compassion for Timmie and his care taker. This specific story is about morals, doing something for the greater good and believing that everyone
Cheruv
May 20, 2017 rated it liked it
There are some really nice stories included. I didn't care that much for two of them, but that is just my taste. All the stories were well written and generally concerns children of different ages. (Hence the title :) ) I liked the small introductory note by Asimov it gives a little bit of background on the story or on the author.
Rebekah
Jan 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Isaac Asimov edited a book of short stories that, though about children, are not necessarily for them. Tomorrow’s Children presents a wide gamut of what the young might do or how they might grow or evolve, and in at least one case what happens when we are faced with aliens or Neanderthals.
I liked the stories there were so many writers I had never read before, and of course the one story by Asimov I had read. His fish out of water story the posits that Neanderthals are not nearly as “backwards”
Joanne G.
I read this collection of science fiction back in the late '60s, and it became a favorite. It may have been the catalyst to ignite my love of science fiction. I was pleased to rediscover it, many years after, at a public library when I moved to a new city.

Most of the stories have retained their appeal nearly 50 years later. Philip K. Dick's "The Father-Thing" remains creepy; Ray Bradbury's "All Summer in a Day" continues to pack an emotional punch; and Jerome Bixby's "It's a Good Life" provokes
Raj
Feb 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, short-stories
This is an anthology, edited by Dr Asimov, centring around children in SF. With contributions from Robert Sheckley, Damon Knight, Robert Heinlein, Philip K. Dick, Ray Bradbury and several more, it seems that just about all the big guns of the era are represented. It's a good collection from when SF was in one its most experimental phases and very readable.
Yaaresse
Standard "I read this, but damned if I can remember exactly when or why or enough about it to make detail comments" disclaimer:
My rating is based solely on my memory of how much or little I enjoyed the book at that time. In some cases, "at that time" might mean before most Goodreads users were born. Then again, it could mean a couple years ago and that I have a lousy memory.

Your mileage may vary. Heck, given how all our tastes change over the years and the fickle nature of memory, my own mileag
Chris Hart
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Individually, the short stories in this collection aren't all 5 star stories, but taken as a whole, it's a marvelous compilation. The stories all all written by SF stars of the 20th century and all date from the mid-century era. I first came across this as a teenager (I may have even owned a copy of it, though I have no idea what happened to it), and the stories for the most part stand the test of time.

And anyone who's a fan of the Harry Potter franchise needs to read "The Accountant". Seriously
Kim
Sep 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is the book that single-handedly started me on a Sci Fi bender that lasted from age 9 through my adolescence! Being a girl, I couldn't relate to all mainstream sci fi, but I did relate very strongly to these tales, all of which feature child protagonists in sci fi and dystopian settings. This is an anthology which features some of the world's most renowned sci fi authors, and is edited by the demi-god of sci fi, Asimov himself. I found a copy recently through a used bookseller, and the stor ...more
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
This has a lot of vintage, old-style SF stories in it. And the intros to each piece by Isaac Asimov are interesting. Plus the dust jacket has a picture of him wherein he looks a lot like Clark Kent.

Unfortunately, it does not contain the time travel story I am looking for. It is, as I recall, much more modern and zany in tone and style.
Richard
Aug 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This collection will always be my favorite sci-fi bundling of unique stories...from not so secret cereal ingrediants to life elimination games to handicapped monsters....I love it. I lost my copy in the move from Arizona to Florida but will get one online soon...
Jeannette Maldonado
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved it as a pre-adolescent, love it now. If saying "timeless" wasn't cliche I'd say it. Great read no matter what genre you're into. Thought provoking for even the inexperienced and unreluctant reader.
Justine
Mar 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Really charming set of science fiction and fantasy short stories. Very dated but still enjoyable. "A Pale Full of Air" is adorable, definitely my favorite short. Discovered some new authors too! Looking forward to reading more Zenna Henderson.
Joanne Davidson
Nov 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Lots of great original stories that have since been made into movies (for example- invasion of the Body Snatchers; Village of the Damned...
Heather
Apr 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite childhood sci-fi books that I had to track down as an adult. And, it's still as wonderful today as it was then!!
Terri
Jul 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Love this book! Have read many of the stories before, and still get a kick out of them. Really classic sci-fi, at it's best!
Kitty
Sep 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This is the best collection of science fiction short stories ever compiled.
Andy
COLLECTION OF SHORT STORIES - VARIOUS AUTHORS
Tim Jarrett
Aug 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book, Inexplicably in my elementary school library, gave me (at the age of 7 or 8) a lifelong love of speculative fiction. And it scared the pants off me.
Phaedrav
Deanna Mchugh
Dec 01, 2012
  • A Science Fiction Omnibus
  • DAW 30th Anniversary Science Fiction
  • Pilgrimage: The Book of the People (The People)
  • Tomorrow, the Stars
  • Again, Dangerous Visions 1
  • Norby: Robot For Hire (Norby, #3-4)
  • The Road to Science Fiction 3: From Heinlein to Here (The Road to Science Fiction, #3)
  • The Best of Fritz Leiber
  • Ancient, My Enemy
  • The Mammoth Book Of Science Fiction
  • The Collected Stories of Philip K. Dick, Volume 1: Beyond Lies the Wub
  • The Best Time Travel Stories of All Time
  • The Crafters (The Crafters, #1)
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Fifteenth Annual Collection
  • Antinomy
  • Revelations
  • Inconstant Moon

Professor Asimov is generally considered one of the most prolific writers of all time, having written or edited more than 500 books and an estimated 90,000 letters and postcards. He has works published in nine o
More about Isaac Asimov...