Start by marking “A Proper Charlie” as Want to Read:
A Proper Charlie

A Proper Charlie

3.16  ·  Rating details ·  268 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Charlie Wallis has everything a girl could wish for. A loving boyfriend, a nice flat and a fantastic job as a journalist for London Core. Trouble is, Charlie's boyfriend's a waster, her job title really reads 'clerk' and her flat, at the top of a high-rise, isn't that nice after all. Her new boss, Ben, is a huge bear of a man. A gentle giant, with chocolate brown eyes that ...more
Published January 13th 2011 by FeedARead.com

To ask other readers questions about A Proper Charlie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Proper Charlie

Patricia Rockwell
May 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The title of this romance novel—“A Proper Charlie” --may be a bit misleading. The Charlie of the title is Charlotte Wallis or Charlie to her friends. She’s not at all “proper”—and most everyone—even Charlie herself-- likes it that way. That is, until a new boss from the upper echelons of society--Ben Middleton--arrives on the scene. This handsome newcomer turns Charlie’s world upside down and makes her re-evaluate her life and her goals.

Charlie works as a clerk at London Core, a British tabloid
Melissa
Feb 02, 2012 rated it did not like it

I thought this book was awful. The character's were unlikable and undeveloped. The story was ridiculous. I truly disliked this book.
Treasure Trove
Apr 17, 2012 rated it did not like it
Sorry not my style at all. Can't really recommend it even if it is free on amazon.
Barbara ♥~Lindt Ninja~♥ (Careerist Gangster™)
Saw it on a Listopia for Best British Books but after having a good laugh, I disagreed and decided it wasn't for me.
TinaNicole ☠ Le Book Nikita ☠
After finding this on a Listopia and checking out the blurb, I'm fairly certain that I won't like it. So I'm just leaving myself this harmless reminder.
MJ
Feb 03, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yuck, did-not-finish
I'm nearly half-way and I am giving up on this book. It's well written, no errors. I just can't stand the characters.
Kathleen Crowell
Feb 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
I felt like this book had a lot of potential to be fun, but it got way too bogged down by the whole missing prostitute scandal. Charlie was a fun character, but it never really went anywhere for me. There was only one real spark of passion between the main characters...ending was a little too silly for me--even though it had moments with Mel involved...
Nicola
perhaps 2 1/2 stars
This book was about a silly character who got herself into ridiculous situations, and relied on others to help her get out of them. I found this book required very little effort or attention. A perfect read when a distraction, rather than entertainment is what you are looking for.
Rachel the Book Harlot
Jul 11, 2014 marked it as atv
Shelves: no-thanks
The moral of this story should have been: true success is based on merit. If you cheat to gain success, then you have gained nothing.

Megan
Dec 27, 2012 rated it did not like it
this book was not at all like I expected based on the description, which would have been fine if the book was good but it fell short of that goal.
Becca Chopra
May 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We meet Charlie, a fiery redhead in a menial job at the London Core, just as it's being taken over by a newspaper conglomerate. At the same time, prostitutes are going missing in London's Red Light districts and a "posh abductor" is the main suspect. The book really becomes a page-turner when Charlie decides to pose as a prostitute to garner interviews and even try to catch the abductor. Although nervous, she feels the fear and follows her crazy plans anyway. Mistaken identities - she taking the ...more
Caro
Mar 22, 2012 rated it liked it
I was pleasantly surprised by this novel. A Proper Charlie is about Charlotte, a clerk working for a newspaper, who is currently breaking up with her ex-boyfriend Andy and sorting through her life.
Charlie wants to be a journalist, but her friends tell her to forget about that dream since she doesn't have the necessary qualification to be a real journalist.
Charlie however decides to write an article about prostitutes... and gets tangled up with her new boss, a serial abductor/possible killer, a b
Candice
Apr 28, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was ok for a free Kindle download.
Rea Cobb
Jul 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
I need to put my hands up and say I am a new fan or Jane Costello! I recently read and reviewed one of her books. My Single Friend and I absolutely loved it. I couldn’t wait to get started on another one so I didn’t hesitate when I saw Girl On The Run I knew it was coming home with me!

Plot
Abby Rogers has been on health kicks before – they involve eating one Blueberry muffin for breakfast instead of two.
But since starting her own business after too many episodes of The Apprentice, the 28-year-old
Samantha March
Jun 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Charlie Wallis is hoping to luck out and finally land her dream job as a journalist, and lucky for her, best friend Melvin secured her a position at the London Core- a British tabloid newspaper. But not as a journalist, oh no, Charlie is simply the “clerk,” running mundane tasks for others in the office. But when the Core is bought out by Donald Middleton, things around the office begin to change. For starters, Donald’s son is brought in as the corporate manager, and Charlie is immediately gob s ...more
Helen Baggott
Mar 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Charlie Wallis is a young woman working in media, has daydreams and is looking for love. Sound familiar? If you think Louise Wise's latest novel, A Proper Charlie, is another Bridget Jones clone, you'd be wrong. It was often a struggle to like Bridget, with Charlie you can't help it.

In early chapters Charlie's naivety borders on annoying, but as the novel develops we soon realise she has dreams and it's those that have turned her into a survivor.

Deciding she has hit on the next big story, she h
Linda
Oct 17, 2012 rated it liked it
This review was originally posted on Big Al's Books and Pals review blog on Tuesday, 08/07/ 2012

Charlie is a mess; she is cute, good natured, witty and terribly insecure. She allows herself to be used by her on again/off again boyfriend Andy, in hopes that he will ask her to marry him. The author does a good job rounding out her characters, I found Charlie interesting and sad. I really didn't like her much, which made it hard for me to invest in her story. I loved her best mate Milton, who was a
Caroline
Mar 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
I have a confession to make it - I love to read a bit of chick lit! And I have to say 'A Proper Charlie' by Louise Wise didn't disappoint.

I loved the cover of the book. It drew my attention for all the right reasons - although I think I might have preferred a picture of Charlie in her union jack dress!

The whole idea of the book was great although I'm not sure I can see Ben and Charlie as a long term couple - Ben seemed a bit of a wuss for Charlie. My favourite character though was Melvin, the
Tia
Mar 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm not even going to try and explain this book, so much whacky shit happened I'm still a bit confused. I really don't know if this author is English aka from the UK or not but it seemed pretty out there with all their talk going on in the book.

I have to admit at times I laughed my head off. It was funny but it was more of a stupid funny or I can't believe it, this is so ridiculous funny. They dealt with some serious stuff in this novel and all I could do it laugh pretty much all the way through
Michael
Dec 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a really enjoyable, well written and engaging read. The main protagonist is the very likeable Charlotte, a clerk working for a newspaper who wants to be a journalist. After writing an article about prostitutes, Charlie gets tangled up with all sorts of dramatic, hilarious and gripping scenarios with some often deeper themes throughout. I’m new to this author, but I’m glad I came across her and the writing is quick and with some cracking dialogue. The short-ish chapters also made it a gre ...more
mountainmama
Feb 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Charlie Wallis is a mess – her boyfriend is a loser, her job is a dead end, and despite growing up in an orphanage, she has zero street smarts. Aspiring to become a journalist, she decides to go undercover as a prostitute to get insight into a story she wants to write. And of course, she walks straight into trouble. Throw in a new boss who finds her attractive, and you have all the ingredients for a romantic farce.

An entertaining, light read – recommended for anyone who enjoys that genre.
Amanda
The book is well-written plot wise and most of the secondary characters are interesting and funny, but the leads are totally unlikeable; Charlie is an airhead to the point where she is a danger to herself, whilst Ben is a judgemental snob.

I thought that I'd be able to finish the book anyway, but then I read the part where Charlie decided that 14 year olds who become prostitutes are just pestering men for sex...
Heidi Rothert
May 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Interesting topic. Got tired of Charlie's constant lack of confidence and I thought her best friend was horrible to her, but the story was cute and thinking of it being read in an English accent makes it even more fun. (English writing style)
Zaanodes
Feb 04, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-kindle
I liked this better than I thought I would in the beginning. I did have trouble with the colloquialisms (London). The last line totally lost me as did quite a few others. Ah, well. Still, a decent read.
Elizabeth Jasper
Apr 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
A good, light-hearted read with an underlying serious message that adds to the drama and tension of the story. I enjoyed it - Charlie is adorable, and her mishaps with her nw boss are well-described and imaginative. Recommended.
Mary
Jun 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Fun little read. Had a lot of British phrasing and slang that I didn't completely understand but could usually get the jist of what was going on. A good blend of mystery, humor, and romance kept it entertaining.
Ashley
Mar 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Charlie (Charlotte Wallis) was a hard knock orphan who still knew how to dream when she met Ben, her new boss. Ben had a rough patch with the death of his mother but came through it on his feet, but are they meant for each other?
Staci
Aug 22, 2012 marked it as to-read
free kindle book
Michelle [Helen Geek]
Apr 16, 2012 marked it as to-read
Shelves: free, tbr-kindle
Free on Amazon 04/15/2012.
Toni
Sep 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cbrrc-s
Please stop by and read my review at Coffee Beans & Love Scenes Reviews.
Books 2 Read: Louise Wise 10 18 Sep 01, 2011 03:09AM
  • She Who Hunts
  • Build A Man (Serenity Holland, #1)
  • Vardin Village
  • Last Flight Out
  • Practice Cake (Life in Saltwater City, #1)
  • Special Delivery (Hollywood Hills, #1)
  • Sleeping Beauty
  • The Last Page
  • NOT A BOOK: The Auction Deal
  • Sleeping with Paris (A Paris Romance Book 1)
  • Mr. Right For The Night
  • The World Rose
  • The Firelight of Maalda (Legend of the Raie'Chaelia, #2)
  • Seducing an Heiress (Cinderella Heiresses, #1)
  • Return Of The Runaway Bride
  • Avenging Angel
  • The Enemy's Son
  • Cupcake
British author of romance with a twist. Visit author website: https://louisewise-eden.blogspot.co.uk/

Also a blogger at: https://louisewise.blogspot.co.uk/