Start by marking “How to Read the Bible Book by Book: A Guided Tour” as Want to Read:
How to Read the Bible Book by Book: A Guided Tour

How to Read the Bible Book by Book: A Guided Tour

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  815 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews

A Guided Tour from Genesis through Revelation Reading the Bible need not be a haphazard journey through strange and bewildering territory. Like an experienced tour guide, How to Read the Bible Book by Book takes you by the hand and walks you through the Scriptures. For each book of the Bible, the authors start with a quick snapshot, then expand the view to help you better

Published (first published March 18th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about How to Read the Bible Book by Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Read the Bible Book by Book

Douglas Wilson
Jun 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biblical-studies
Very helpful, book-by-book, resource. Recommended.
Becky Pliego
Super helpful to use as reference. And especially for those reading their Bibles for the first time.
Michael
Jul 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
The concern of this book is to help you read the Bible as a whole, and even when the "whole" is narrowed to "whole books," it is important for you always to be aware of how each book fits into the larger story.

First, this book is intended to be a companion to How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth. Anyone who has read this book will see that familiar structure of it's guided overviews of the selected biblical books there. Essentially this is an application of the concepts shared in the first
Nicole
Dec 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chrisitianity
This is a great book for an outline of each book of the Bible and simple commentaries. It's a really great companion if you're beginning to read the Bible--the Lord really used this to help me in understanding the purpose of certain books an to help simplify it in the beginning of my walk.

I've read some reviews where people said it was just a simple commentary or not in depth, but you have to remember the first time you read scriptures you didn't have a complete understanding of historical cont
Elizabeth
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent resource to which I regularly refer. It helps me to read the Bible more profitably by pointing out key themes, relevant organizational structure, etc. While I don’t necessarily agree with every conclusion, this book serves me well and is a key tool in my Bible study arsenal.
Christopher
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like any good tour guide, Fee just points out some background and context, and then mostly gets out of the way. Extremely helpful, especially with difficult prophetic portions of the Bible. Don't imagine me "recommending" this book, imagine me shaking you by the shoulders and saying, "You have to get this book! Your Bible reading NEEDS it! TRUST ME."
Francesko Kola
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book begins with an overview that relates the overarching biblical themes that hold it together as a single story. In addition, prior to beginning each major section of the Bible, the authors provide an overview of the contents and interrelationships of those particular books.
The reader will undoubtedly find himself disagreeing on occasion, and in any event, consulting a good commentary is never a bad idea to get both more detailed discussion and the range of views. However, by focusing on t
Ryan Boyer
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fee and Stuart's follow up to their first book, How to Read the Bible for All It's Worth, is designed to help people become better readers of Scripture and build upon the process that is laid out in the first book. It provides overviews of each book, background information, etc.

This book is really helpful as a resource tool and guide. For that I would have given it four stars. But, it can become a cheat sheet for those who are learning how to read the Bible. Yes, it is good and valuable to have
Bryan McWhite
Jul 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This stands as a desk reference in my study. I use it regularly as a help in devotions (as does my wife). It is simply written and very helpful. Highly recommended to Bible students of any level.
Rebeca
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book to read before reading and studying specific books of the Bible. It's not necessary to read it in order, in fact, I encourage the readers to go to this book before reading and studying a book from the Bible.
Karen
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We used this as a textbook for a course with Vineyard Institute - very technical in places but highly recommended! It helped us to understand the background, context, and foci of each book we studied.
Sammy Fee
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book explained so much! Things have finally started making sense! This is a must read if you are studying the Bible. I poured over every page :D
Jeremy Manuel
The point of this book is to help people understand how to read each book of the Bible. This is done by giving the context of the book, some tips or knowledge they think might help with the reading of the book, and then some general summaries of various sections of each book. By using this structure it does a pretty good job of showing how each book is unique, but also at fitting it into the larger narrative of the Bible.

I'll be honest, it isn't the most enjoyable book to read cover to cover. Th
Jeremy Zilkie
Jul 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-books
I recommend this book for anyone who plans on reading through the Bible. Fee does a great job giving a thoughtful overview of each section of each book of the Bible. The Bible is so varied in its various genres of literature, numerous authors, varied time periods along with the world events of each period with the Bible is often speaking about.

I read through the Bible, Genesis to Revelation and went section by section with this book, checking the boxes as I completed each section. While I will p
Craig Toth
May 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a guide to helping people come to grips with the fact that in order to be able to better understand the Bible, one ought to first learn something about the social, historical, and literary contexts of the writings therein. Otherwise, the reader’s worldview and life experiences act as final judge concerning what “the Bible says.” The most obvious sign of this error is the common practice of picking and choosing scripture verses (typically, out of context!) to back up preexisting beli ...more
Linda
Mar 10, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book ws recommended for a "Reading the Bible in a year". It was a good supportive reference for getting through the mysteries of the Bible although it is no subsitiution for a good Bible study; hence the difference between reading the Bible and studying the Bible. I was grateful for this reference to help me through some of the books however it is rather general in describing what the Bible is communicating rather detailed which I get in a detailed study of the Bible. I do recommend it for ...more
Hannah
Apr 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own-hard-copy
I finally made it through this book... and consequently, the Bible!! Only took me several years, but I got there! hehe

I loved having this little companion to sometimes shed light on things I didn't understand and to provide background information and context to stories I'd heard before. It actually also helped keep me motivated during more difficult (boring) passages to read as I knew that at the end of the passage I'd be able to tick off a little box.
Marlon Myburgh
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exactly what I needed. I love the “Orienting Data,” “Overview,” “Specific Advice” and "Walkthrough" format. I really appreciate Fee and Stuart's works, they get to the point immediately and you don't need to spend needless time reading through pages and pages of unnecessary information.

This is an invaluable resource to add to anyone's research library and I would recommend it to anyone.

Mary A
Oct 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book alongside my Bible as I was reading through the Bible for the first time. I found it helpful particularly while reading the prophets, which I was completely unfamiliar with. If you have little or no background in Biblical history, then I would recommend this book to help interpret historical circumstances in the Bible.
Kathy England
Nov 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been using this book as a devotional aid for my daily Bible reading for the past year and a half. It has been quite useful and very informational, both in knowing the history and culture at the time of each Biblical book, and as a guide as what to watch for in each section. I highly recommend it, at least in this kind of use. It wouldn't be nearly as useful read by itself.
Corey Doise
Jun 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great resource for any serious Bible reader. It provides great context to what you are reading, which is key when reading any ancient manuscript. I do not read the Bible without this resource by my side.
CCCfaithathome
This book is a great one to keep right next to your Bible. It helps you to understand the different genres of the books of the Bible and enriches your reading of specific passages. It's also a follow-up to How to Read the Bible for All its Worth by the same authors.
Timothy
Feb 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After having been thrilled with How to 1, I had a lot higher expectations of this book. I would have gone 3 stars, but admittedly, I didn't read the corresponding Biblical books as a companion as I went along. I will definitely consult it as a preaching/teaching resource though.
Jeremy
Apr 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the most helpful books ever! I come back to this book again and again in order to understand what I am reading in my bible. If I only had one book to choose to help me understand the bible, this would be the one I would pick, it's that helpful.
Pris
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this book a long time ago. Anyone who reads the Bible and wants to interpret it the way it should be and preach about it should read this book. It keeps you on the straight and narrow without diverging into several different directions that most Bible preachers and pastors now are prone to do.
Jim Haw
Sep 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a trust-worthy resource that provides the background information needed to engage every book of the Bible.
Christina
Feb 07, 2013 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
TCC Santa Cruz recommends this. Here is a link to the plan:

Andrew
May 01, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know this isn't supposed to be a commentary, but it seems like they don't give quite enough information.
Adam Wilson
Aug 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A nice follow-up to "All Its Worth." Essentially a brief synopsis and outline of every book of the Bible. Great for someone who has never read it through and doesn't know how to start.
Tylor Lovins
Jun 10, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It's pretty simplistic. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. A study bible would have more commentary than this thing would. Do not buy!
  • The New Testament Documents: Are They Reliable?
  • Knowing Scripture
  • An Introduction to the New Testament
  • The Hermeneutical Spiral: A Comprehensive Introduction to Biblical Interpretation
  • Living By the Book: The Art and Science of Reading the Bible
  • Mark for Everyone
  • Commentary on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament
  • The IVP Bible Background Commentary: New Testament
  • Old Testament Ethics for the People of God
  • The Inspiration and Authority of the Bible
  • How to Read the Bible through the Jesus Lens: A Guide to Christ-Focused Reading of Scripture
  • Deep Exegesis: The Mystery of Reading Scripture
  • The Shape of Sola Scriptura
  • Jesus and the Gospels
  • Dictionary of Biblical Imagery
  • The Letter of James (The Pillar New Testament Commentary)
  • The New Testament in Antiquity: A Survey of the New Testament within Its Cultural Context
  • The Theology of the Book of Revelation
Gordon Fee is Professor Emeritus of New Testament at Regent College, where he taught for sixteen years. His teaching experience also includes serving schools in Washington, California, Kentucky, as well as Wheaton College in Illinois (five years) and Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary in Massachusetts (twelve years).

Gordon Fee is a noted New Testament scholar, having published several books and

$12.99 $3.99
    $15.99 $2.99
  • By Myself and Then Some
    $11.74 $1.99
  • The Fifth Agreement: A Practical Guide to Self-Mastery (A Toltec Wisdom Book)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • Wish You Happy Forever: What China's Orphans Taught Me About Moving Mountains
    $14.74 $1.99
  • The Return: Fathers, Sons and the Land in Between
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Prize: Who's in Charge of America's Schools?
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Smoke and Pickles: Recipes and Stories from a New Southern Kitchen
    $18.95 $2.99
  • Founding Mothers
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation (Kindle Edition)
  • Around My French Table: More Than 300 Recipes from My Home to Yours
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Ida: A Sword Among Lions
    $8.24 $2.99
  • A Natural History of the Senses (Vintage)
  • Unsinkable: A Memoir
    $14.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Identical Strangers: A Memoir of Twins Separated and Reunited
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Life of Lobsters: How Fishermen and Scientists Are Unraveling the Mysteries of Our Favorite Crustacean
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Fierce Patriot: The Tangled Lives of William Tecumseh Sherman
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success: A Practical Guide to the Fulfillment of Your Dreams
  • The Reaper: Autobiography of One of the Deadliest Special Ops Snipers
  • Our Revolution: A Future to Believe In
    $9.99 $2.99
“The genius of the biblical story is what it tells us about God himself: a God who sacrifices himself in death out of love for his enemies; a God who would rather experience the death we deserved than to be apart from the people he created for his pleasure; a God who himself bore our likeness, experienced our creatureliness, and carried our sins so that he might provide pardon and reconciliation; a God who would not let us go, but who would pursue us—all of us, even the worst of us—so that he might restore us into joyful fellowship with himself; a God who in Christ Jesus has so forever identified with his beloved creatures that he came to be known and praised as “the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ” (1 Pet 1:3).” 1 likes
“The book of Jeremiah is a constant reminder of God’s faithfulness to his word in Deuteronomy that his elect will be cursed by exile for their unfaithfulness to Yahweh but will be restored at a later time with the hope of a new covenant—which was fulfilled through Jesus Christ, David’s “righteous Branch” (Jer 23:5).” 0 likes