Start by marking “Pumpkin Roll (A Culinary Mysteries, #6)” as Want to Read:
Pumpkin Roll (A Culinary Mysteries, #6)

Pumpkin Roll (A Culinary Mystery #6)

3.85  ·  Rating Details ·  1,462 Ratings  ·  279 Reviews
Sadie Hoffmiller believes in her abilities as a cook and as a detective. She believes in the beauty of a perfectly baked pumpkin roll. She does not, however, believe in ghosts.

As Halloween approaches, Sadie is looking forward to spending her favorite baking season of the year making delicious New England recipes in Boston, Massachusetts, with her favorite leading man, Pete
Published September 7th 2011 by Shadow Mountain

To ask other readers questions about Pumpkin Roll, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pumpkin Roll

Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne FlukeSugar Cookie Murder by Joanne FlukeFudge Cupcake Murder by Joanne FlukeStrawberry Shortcake Murder by Joanne FlukeBlueberry Muffin Murder by Joanne Fluke
Cozy Cooking
186 books — 12 voters
The Red Pyramid by Rick RiordanThe Throne of Fire by Rick RiordanThe Serpent's Shadow by Rick RiordanGoodbye, Piccadilly by Cynthia Harrod-EaglesSadie by E.L. Todd
"Sadie"
98 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

PinkLoki(Shine) RULER OF: CrimsonPeak, Asgard, Jotunheim, Midgard, AvengersTower
THIS BOOK WAS SO INTENSED! IT REMINDED WHEN I HAD PARANORMAL ACTIVITY AT MY HOUSE AND MY GRANDPARENTS HOUSE!

I don't believe in ghosts and my folks don't get it when I tried explaining to them about these things.
Liz
Nov 04, 2011 Liz rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
I have to say I'm really losing my enthusiasm for these books. Kilpack is putting them out to fast and not giving her editors time to edit. There were several typos, including switching a name on me. I'm sure most wouldn't notice, but isn't that what an edit is all about? Perhaps I should try to get myself hired!!
Anyway, the mystery was dumb in my opinion, but maybe that's because I figured out who was behind it pretty early on. Also, I'm tired of Sadie always butting into people's lives and the
Angeli
Dec 08, 2014 Angeli rated it did not like it
Dumb. There are a few intriguing parts, but this book is probably not worth your read. The author is long-winded and loves to give extraneous details, which only end up frustrating the reader. The main character/detective woman is ridiculous, the recipes are a weird inclusion, and absolutely nothing about this book feels real as you read it. Definitely some weirdo-characters functioning in a pseudo-reality. Plus, there are loose ends in the book that the author never addresses. I don't think I w ...more
Kathleen Kirby Vallejo
I really enjoyed this one. It was fun for her to incorporate the mystery around Halloween. I was pretty surprised at who the "bad guy" was. Seriously, these books are not any kind of (how do I put this without offending) high literary material, yet I keep not being able to figure out the twist/who the killer is/whatever, and I pride myself on being able to do that. So that keeps me guessing and makes it even more of a fun read.
Erin
May 06, 2011 Erin rated it liked it
Another great installment of the Sadie Hoffmiller story! This one was good, not my favorite, but still worth it to read. The plot twist was good, but I felt like there were a lot of plot holes and the motive could have been more explained and thought through. Scary to think there are people that obsessive in the world!
Heather
Jun 15, 2011 Heather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: series, funny, mystery
Fantastic installment of the Sadie Hoffmiller series. Sadie is at it again, although this time Sadie is much more cautious with Pete's top 3 "rules" governing her investigative practice. But true to Sadie's personality, she finds herself getting into more than one bind.
Carrie
Oct 25, 2011 Carrie rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loves this book. Had such a hard time putting it down to sleep or get work done. I definitely did not have any clue how this story would turn out. Love mysteries like that.
Crystal
Aug 21, 2013 Crystal rated it it was amazing
loved it. kind of scary in some spots which suprised me. great twist and loved that it was set during halloween. makes me want to visit boston during halloween one of these days.
Kristy
May 24, 2017 Kristy rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I shouldn't have skipped any books in this series. There is definitely ties to previous story lines in this book. I liked Pumpkin Roll even better than English Trifle. There was a lot of action and the villain surprised me in the end.
Lone Wolf
Jun 16, 2017 Lone Wolf rated it it was amazing
Another hit
Gmr
Oct 07, 2011 Gmr rated it liked it
A mysterious story that changes course time and again from events that are perhaps blown out of proportion with an explainable cause to those things that can only truly be described as done by the unseen hands of something paranormal. Word to the wise....do not go into this book with an empty stomach or at least without a well stocked kitchen because it being a “Culinary Mystery”, there are several great food options mentioned along the way AND the recipes are INCLUDED in the book.

Sadie Hoffmil
Bonnie
Feb 24, 2017 Bonnie rated it really liked it
I read her first two books a long time ago. I enjoy these light-hearted culinary mysteries. I like to read them before I go to bed.
Rachel
Oct 10, 2011 Rachel rated it liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
This book is the most recent in a mystery series, but the first book I have read by Josi S. Kilpack. I do not read much in the mystery genre, but the cooking aspect of the book interested me enough to try this one. All of the page numbers to the recipes are listed nicely on the back of the first page, so I was able to check those out without having to search for them, and they do look like quite delicious recipes, perfect for this time of year.
The main character is an older woman, Sadie Hoffmill
Ryan G
Jan 12, 2012 Ryan G rated it liked it
Shelves: no-longer-own
I know I've said it before, but I'm really at a loss on why I keep starting new mystery series. Of course, that's not the real problem. My real issue is the fact that I'm not starting them at the beginning. I'm not even starting with the second book, in this case it was the 6th. On the other hand, how could I refuse myself the pleasure of discovering a new character. I should have thought more about it, but when I got the chance to review Pumpkin Roll, I jumped at it. I loved the synopsis and th ...more
Nicole
Jul 01, 2011 Nicole rated it really liked it
Probably the most well put together book of the series for me. I thought the entertainment value was great. Sadie was much less annoying and busy-body-ish in this one, more just a real person. There was a twist at the end, if you aren't expecting it, which I was, as I figured out "who done it" based on "who done it" in previous books. However, I still enjoyed the book and how the author brought it all together.

I enjoyed her development of the relationship between Pete and Sadie, as well as with
Heather
Sep 20, 2011 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-paperback
Don't ask me how I have gone so long without reading one of Josi Kilpack's culinary mysteries, but I have obviously been missing out on all the fun. Pumpkin Roll is absolutely perfect for Fall and Halloween! Set in Jamaica Plain, a small township of Boston it is close to heart of the Salem Witch Trials. Things get spooky fast for Sadie and boyfriend Pete who are on vacation together while watching Pete's grandchildren. Between light bulbs exploding, strange faces in the window, night time visito ...more
Cheryl Christensen
Oct 06, 2011 Cheryl Christensen rated it it was amazing
The cover of the book is delicious! (looking, anyway)

I have not read the first five books in the series, but I was willing to read this one anyway. The story does allude to previous adventures and consequences, as well as characters that show up again in this book. However, there was ample description and explanation that I felt intrigued and not left in the dark. Josi is a seasoned author and does a great job leading new readers into the heart of the story.

I enjoy Sadie Hoffmiller and her gentl
Katie W
Aug 06, 2011 Katie W rated it it was amazing
First of all, I love reading a book during the season in which it takes place. There's just something about it that makes me really get into the story. Pumpkin Roll takes place in October and here it is October! Secondly, I love a good mystery, but when I'm a little creeped out because it's late at night and my husband's out of town and this story is getting stranger, and creepier by the minute,....ooh...that makes for a good book.

I think this is probably Ms. Kilpack's best yet of this series!!
Lisa
Jan 01, 2012 Lisa rated it really liked it
The best so far of this culinary mystery series--and I've been pretty hard on aspects of some of the others. This time Sadie Hoffmiller returns to being the lovable busybody we came to appreciate in Lemon Tart. If she's toning down the nonsense in order to compromise with her sweetie, Pete, then more power to her. If Kilpack's making her seem a little tamer in order to play up the outrageous behavior of her would-be helper, Jane, then that works, too. Sadie and Pete are watching Pete's grandsons ...more
Katey
Dec 16, 2016 Katey rated it liked it
Shelves: culinary, holiday
This book took me longer to read than it should have. It was a little hard to follow, and it probably didn't help that I read part of this book before taking a break to read other books. All of the strange occurrences didn't make any sense to me. Another thing that threw me off was there being no murder. But as I neared the end, the culprit totally surprised me. Completely unexpected. I wonder where Sadie is headed next.
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Oct 31, 2011 Jeannie and Louis Rigod rated it it was amazing
This book was exciting and scary. Perfect for a Halloween read. Witches and maniacs loose in the neighborhood, all the while hiding a deadlier menace, stalking.

Our Sadie Hoffmiller, new private investigator, goes with her boyfriend, Pete Cunningham to visit and babysit Pete's three grandsons. Nothing can happen to Sadie in Boston, right? Oh, so very wrong.

Sadie is loving playing Grandmother to the younger Cunningham's but is quickly diverted by the 'witch' living across the street. Well, the wom
Andrea
Sep 23, 2011 Andrea rated it really liked it
Sadie Hoffmiller is at it again in the 6th culinary mystery by Josi S. Kilpack.

Sadie accompanies her boyfriend, Pete, to Boston to babysit his grandchildren. The kids get along well with "Aunt Sadie" and everyone is having a great time. That is, until Sadie notices a neighbor (Mrs. Wapple-thought to be a witch) in pain. Sadie, being the caring (and nosy) person she is, can't help but get involved.

I was concerned that I might have built up my expectations too much waiting to get my hands on a co
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
Sadie's back! She has accompanied Pete to Boston where they are caring for his grandsons while his son and daughter in law are away. Sadie relishes the role of pseudo-grandma and having new people to cook for. When the boys start talking about their weird neighbor and are convinced she's a witch, Sadie sets out to take her some cookies and prove them wrong. Faster than she can say "Whoopie Pie", Sadie finds herself once again involved in an investigation.

This installment of Josi's culinary myste
Gail
Jul 31, 2013 Gail rated it it was amazing
This was great but should be read during October, Halloween. It is set in Boston in the fall. There were many "freaky" things that were happening while Sadie and her boyfriend, Pete, were babysitting his grandchildren. Again Sadie got involved with being extremely concerned about the lady across the street, which lead to many other "things" that were happening to Sadie and Pete and his grandchildren. Plus a character from the last book, Jane, reappears in this book and causes more problems for S ...more
Emily S.
I've thoroughly enjoyed the Sadie Hoffmiller culinary mysteries. I love that they're full of recipes, which I have tried and found delicious, by the way. I love that Sadie is a middle-aged woman who is full of life and doesn't let her age slow her down. I love that she's not a weak character. I love that she takes charge and doesn't back down when she shouldn't.

I really enjoyed the story on this one. It was fun to get out of Colorado once again and hit up Boston. I wondered how Sadie would do in
Kristen
Jan 19, 2012 Kristen rated it it was ok
Shelves: mysteries, 2012
Stick a fork in me. I'm done reading this series.

I hate the main character, Sadie Hoffmiller. She is nosy. She meddles. She never learns to be careful and plan backup.

Kilpack has improved as a writer from her first book. I've read them all.

I've read many mysteries, culinary and otherwise. The Sadie Hoffmiller books are not that much different. Joanne Fluke and has a SLOOOOOW moving romance and a heroine who drives me nuts. (And recipes that make me hungry.) Diane Mott Davidson had a psychopathic
Dlora
Nov 02, 2011 Dlora rated it really liked it
Shelves: murder-mystery
I didn't get enough of fun Sadie Hofmiller so I started this next book in the series immediately. It's a great one for Halloween time. Sadie and her boyfriend are babysitting his three grandchildren in Boston while their parents are interviewing in another state when Sadie starts worrying about the neighbor across the street who everyone thinks is a witch. Sadie thinks she is ill and needing help. Trying to track down the lady's high-society sister to get her to be responsible and then trying to ...more
Frances
Sep 13, 2011 Frances rated it really liked it
I love when a mystery book makes you go ,"what?!" This book had a few things I wish had been wrapped up better but overall, it made me go, "what?!" after I thought I had it figured out. At least partially figured out. *Rueful grin and a shrug* The author was excellent at keeping the mystery until she was ready for it to be discovered. It has been awhile since I had that reaction with a mystery. This book is part of a series and while I enjoyed as a stand alone, I do wish I had read the ones befo ...more
Annell
Oct 16, 2011 Annell rated it really liked it
I LOVE this series of books! I love that the main character, Sadie Hoffmiller, is an everyday mom, who has a passion for cooking and solving mysteries. This book offers the usual humor and mystery along with a bit more of the spooky, which in turn makes for a great Halloween read. As always, I cannot wait to try out the recipes in this book, especially the Whoopie Pies. I also can't wait for the next book, Banana Split, coming in spring of 2012.

Also,

In conjunction with the release of Pumpkin Rol
Kelli
Sep 19, 2011 Kelli rated it liked it
Shelves: lds
Although her books are definitely starting to get repetitious, I still really enjoy them. This felt like the first book all over again and therefore was a little bit more predictable. I really don't like how the author stretches out the mystery part for so long and then spends one page at the end of the book trying to wrap it all up, without fully explaining everything. Like in this one, she never explains all the electrical stuff or even really why Jane was so crazy about Sadie. It also seems l ...more
  • Imprints (Autumn Rain, #1)
  • Murder by the Book (Kennedy Killingsworth, #1)
  • Dearly Departed (Secret Sisters Mystery #2)
  • Idle Playgrounds
  • Garden Plot
  • Royal Secrets (Royal, #2)
  • Olivia (Newport Ladies Book Club, #1)
  • Rearview Mirror
  • Deadly Undertakings
  • If I Should Die
  • Hometown Girl (Butterfly Box, #2)
  • House of Secrets (Shandra Covington, #1)
  • The List
I wrote my first book while on bed rest with my third child in 1998 and haven't stopped. My most recent books have been Historical Romance through the Proper Romance line with Shadow Mountain Publishing.

I currently live in Willard, Utah with my husband, and children.
More about Josi S. Kilpack...

A Culinary Mystery (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Lemon Tart (A Culinary Mystery, #1)
  • English Trifle (A Culinary Mystery, #2)
  • Devil's Food Cake (A Culinary Mystery, #3)
  • Key Lime Pie (A Culinary Mystery, #4)
  • Blackberry Crumble (A Culinary Mystery, #5)
  • Banana Split (A Culinary Mystery, #7)
  • Tres Leches Cupcakes (A Culinary Mystery, #8)
  • Baked Alaska (A Culinary Mystery, #9)
  • Rocky Road (A Culinary Mystery, #10)
  • Fortune Cookie (A Culinary Mystery, #11)