Start by marking “Dungeons & Dragons, Volume 1: Shadowplague” as Want to Read:
Dungeons & Dragons, Volume 1: Shadowplague

Dungeons & Dragons, Volume 1: Shadowplague

(Dungeons & Dragons by John Rogers #1)

Beginning a new era in Dungeons & Dragons history The genre-defining roleplaying game gets its first ongoing series in years Join writer John Rogers (Blue Beetle) and artist Andrea Di Vito (Annihilation) as they bring us a tale of high adventure and deep secrets. Adric Fell leads a band of heroes in a world where civilization has been reduced to a few scattered points ...more
Published June 29th 2011 by Idea & Design Works, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Dungeons & Dragons, Volume 1, please sign up.
Jakk Makk I started D & D even younger, so I'd recommend this for his age. I don't have it in front of me, but there will be more violence in a game played…moreI started D & D even younger, so I'd recommend this for his age. I don't have it in front of me, but there will be more violence in a game played by eleven year olds than was present here. Lots of action. Assuming your son is up to date, he is playing Fifth edition and this is Fourth. I'm not familiar with the differences, but in past editions, the changes were nominal. The usual recommendation is to read, "The Hobbit," but he'll have several opportunities in the future to do book reports on that one.(less)

David Sarkies
Jul 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The Start of a New Adventure
7 July 2018 – Coolangatta

This comic book opened with an introduction on how the writer’s room in your typical production studio plays out very much like your typical Dungeons & Dragons session late on a Saturday night. Well, I probably shouldn’t be all that surprised considering that as the saying goes Dungeons & Dragons is the game that launched a thousand writing careers (or even more). Actually, it was because of Dungeons & Dragons that I not only want
♛ Garima ♛
It was complete surprise. I don't know single thing about the game - never played, never even saw it...I thought I would be lost without background. But at the beginning of the book, authors actually takes time to provide bit of background. Overall very enjoyable book. Complex characters, good storyline. Bit of bloodthirsty side, not suitable for kids but otherwise great. Reminded me of artwork of older comics...old Golden days...
Jakk Makk
Sep 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
#DND #1 now available. Keymaster's Vault: Dungeons and Dragon's #1: Shadowplague (2010)
Fell's Five is back with Fifth edition fervor!

Excuse me, waitress, I think you left a wing at home.  I'll have the cider.

Dropped into melee just to emerge in trouble again. This winning combo by Rogers and Di Vito has me asking, "Did I read this already?" Let's dial the vault back to 2010 and see.

Dungeons & Dragons (Fell's Five)"The ongoing series of Dungeons & Dragons started in August 2010, with
Cherie (Myst)
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this and the artwork was fantastic. It had all the races you would expect in D&D and all of the combat with a good dose of comedy. I've never played D&D but it did remind me of Warcraft and that was good enough for me!
Brenda
May 30, 2012 rated it liked it
I never played Dungeons and Dragons, so to me this was just a fun fantasy graphic novel. I liked the story a lot, and there was some good humor mixed in. The artwork was pretty decent too. I will definitely be reading more in this series.
Andrey
Nov 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books, 2015, fantasy
Lots of funny jokes and fantasy-racial stereotypes :P
J.M.
Oct 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, fantasy
I wanted to like this more than I did. The art is average with minimal backgrounds, which bothered me. The writing was choppy and typical of a poorly played, too-fast-paced D&D session. Maybe that was the goal here, but it’s not enough for me to keep reading past this first collection. I like more character development in my RPGs. A 2.5-star read.
Nate
Jun 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Perhaps more than a bit trite, this is still a fun romp and the humor and backstories pulled me in. Probably would never have read this without comixology unlimited, but recommended for a light fantasy read if you have it.
Robert
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not bogged down in minutia, so enjoyable even by casual or non-fans of the source material.
Jhaydun Dinan
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, d-d
John delighted me with such an unexpected turn of events this time. Nothing like facing zombie babies in the evening.

After defeating the dragon, the adventurers head into town to recruit the tiefling warlock named Tisha that helped them with their last fight that ended in the grizzly death of the dragon, and she signs a contract. Not long after, they are attacked by zombies that spring up from under the floorboards. The authority arrives just in time to see the party killing what looked like ave
Shannon Appelcline
Overall, a good adventure story with an increasingly epic scope. However, it gets notched up to the next-level by a pitch-perfect imitation of what what player CHARACTERS actually sound like.
Gareth
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this one more than I thought I would (probably helped by my confusing of shadowplague with spellplague, not a big fan of the spellplague :) ). Characters were quite good, while filling certain archetypical roles, at the same time they were more rounded than I expected them to be. Stories themselves were interesting, with a couple of surprises but generally just good fun, and the sort of stories you could imagine playing out in D&D sessions.
Jonathan Mark Brooks
A good read.

Wizards wisely followed Paizo's lead and adapted 4e D&R to a graphic novel. They did a good job; to be frank a better job than Paizo. The adventurers seem more accessible and the dialog reminds one of Critical Role or similar game series. Well done, only wish I'd found this sooner.

Adam Windsor
Oct 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, comics
There's certainly some amusing character banter in this graphic novel - hardly surprising from John Rogers. The overall package left me very slightly cold, though. I think it's the deliberate metatextuality of it. When the comic's just being a straight up fantasy adventure, it's good fun. But every time Rogers "humorously" riffs on a D&D trope, I just kind of roll my eyes.
Jake
May 09, 2017 rated it liked it
This jumps right in, which was a little confusing at first but worked. I enjoyed the halfling thief character quite a bit, but I thought some of the other characters, specifically the elf ranger and tiefling warlock felt flat and one dimensional. Worth reading, but not necessarily something I will go out of my way to read further.
Joana
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Um optimo ponto de partida...
Jeffrey
Jan 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Jokes were just... okay. Story was above average for this type of book.
Shoua Lor
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just shit up and read it

So, where do I sign up? Who's supposed to take my money?

Shut up and take my money. Now!

Pretty please?
Mike
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Going to keep reading. It reads like a dnd game for sure
Alexa Williams
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I got this as part of a Humble Bundle and liked it a lot more than I expected too. The best part is that each character has a completed character sheet included in the back of the book.
Abhinav
Jul 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, fantasy
You can find the full review over at The Founding Fields:

Shadowhawk reviews the first volume of the Shadowplague arc for IDW’s Dungeons & Dragons series, collecting the first six chapters of the story of Adric Fell and his band of adventurers.

“One of the most gorgeous graphic novels with a rock-solid storyline that gives you a definitive alternative gaming experience.” ~The Founding Fields

I’ve never played Dungeons & Dragons, it just wasn’t ever po
David
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this graphic novel. The story puts you in the middle of the action and then starts to introduce each of the main characters. By the end of this volume you will be hooked and ready for the next part of the story. I'm really looking forward to the next novel to learn more about the characters and to find out what will happen next.
Benjamin
Javier Grillo-Marxuach--who I like so much I can spell without looking up his name--says maybe the best thing to be said on this comic book (of the 4th edition of D&D, if you're counting): it may not have the rhythms and flavor of fantasy so much as it has the rhythms and flavor of playing a game with your friends.

Which is to say that this world doesn't seem all that real. And maybe this shows my bias, that I don't know this world, but it seems pretty ordinary: towns and monsters and lost ma
Richard Radgoski
Aug 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really ike the crisp writing, the storyline and artistry in this D&D (4e) graphic novel. The banter back and forth sounds like adventurers with a flavor of gamers...but said in such a way that it fits. (IE - at one point, one of the characters says 'never split the party'. Taken by itself, this sounds too gamey, but within the context of the story, its done well.

I'm not sure I like the format of the book. It looks and feels like one of Wizard of the Coast game books. While the cover art is
Victor Drax
May 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Al empezar a leer, esperas mundos elaborados de fantasía, como tantos miles de trabajos en el género en donde sientes que, como no leíste los volúmenes escritos desde 1978, no sabes nada.

Eso no ocurre acá. Muy bien escrito, con un excelente sentido del humor, es lo que pretende y un poquito más: una historia de aventura con buenos personajes y giros inesperados.

Me gusta particularmente que no hace referencia constante a normas del juego de Calabozos y Dragones (cosas como los libros en los que u
Nicole
Jan 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a fun read that reminded me of all the best parts of playing a role playing game. There is no intrusion by the "players" - which is good - so the story is framed as the characters' stories only. But it has the snappy dialog of seasoned players playing solid characters, and doesn't have the trappings of trying too hard (ie: thees and thous and verily) to operate in the classic D&D world. Bonus points for not being bogged down by the dungeon crawl (the bane of any classic game, in my ...more
Silas
Sep 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I quite enjoyed this comic. It certainly didn't break the mold, but was an excellent exemplar of Dungeons & Dragons, and particularly 4th Edition Dungeons & Dragons, given the presence of a tiefling warlock. Anyhow, it was some good dungeon crawling fun, and I think it would be appropriate for most readers. If you are looking for something that goes deep into interpersonal issues, this isn't for you, but if you want some adventure that conjures up images of kicking down doors and fightin ...more
Keith Irwin
Jan 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
This volume collects the first several issues of IDW's Dungeons and Dragons series (not to be confused with earlier DC comics ones). This is an adventure comic set in the D&D universe and, I have to say, it was a joy to read. The characters are fun, if not always deeply characterized, the action is clear and well done, and the dialog is snappy. The events of the plot are outlandish enough to make a good tale, but not so extreme as to strain my suspension of disbelief. Just, as a whole, very ...more
David(LA,CA)
Feb 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gaming, favorites
Absolutely brilliant. To me, this is what a prime example of a Dungeons and Dragons game session should be like. A group of adventurers (that taunt and make jokes at each others expense) working together to save their home (and their own reputation) from an unknown force of evil.

It's a collection of six issues of a comic book series, so it's a quick read. I look forward to reading further collections of the series (when they get made into an e-reader format like the nook version of this collect
Skut L
Nov 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was so much better than I'd anticipated, it reminds me so much of pnp gaming sessions and online roleplaying experiences. The party is well-fleshed out and the characters are unique and archetypal without devolving into stereotypes.My favorites are easily Khal the dwarfadin and Bree Three-Hands the feisty halfling rogue.

The artist Andrea Divito does some amazing work throughout, and the cover artists are well-chosen, some of them having worked on DnD, Pathfinder and likely other gaming prod
  • Dungeons & Dragons: Legends of Baldur's Gate Volume 1
  • Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt - Neverwinter Tales
  • The Legend of Huma (Dragonlance)
  • Chronicles Of Wormwood: The Last Enemy
  • Dungeons & Dragons Player's Handbook 2: A 4th Edition D&D Core Rulebook
  • Conan, Vol. 3: The Tower of the Elephant and Other Stories
  • Conan, Vol. 13: Queen of the Black Coast
  • Rules Compendium: A Game Reference for All Players (4th Edition D&D)
  • Battlepug: Volume 1 (Battlepug, #1)
  • Artesia Volume 1
  • From Hell Companion
  • Grimm Fairy Tales Vol. 7
  • Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Ultimate Equipment
  • Preacher: Dead or Alive, the Collected Covers
  • Artifacts, Volume 1
  • The Cursed Land (Magic: The Gathering)
  • Fiasco
  • Dragons of Autumn Twilight - The Graphic Novel (Dragonlance: Chronicles, #1)
John Rogers is a screenwriter, comedian, film producer, and comic book writer. Although born in Worcester, Massachusetts, he attended McGill University in Montreal and is better known publicly as a Canadian writer.

Dungeons & Dragons by John Rogers (4 books)
  • Dungeons & Dragons, Volume 2: First Encounters