Start by marking “Claude In The City” as Want to Read:
Claude In The City

Claude In The City

(Claude #1)

Claude is no ordinary dog - he leads an extraordinary life! When Mr and Mrs Shinyshoes set off for work, Claude decides what adventure he wants to have that day. Today he and Sir Bobblysock go to the city for the very first time. The have tea in a cafe, go shopping and visit a museum. It is all very normal until...Claude accidentally foils a robbery and becomes the local h ...more
Published February 3rd 2011 by Hodder Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Claude In The City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Claude In The City

Abby
May 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Loved this book. So refreshingly odd, funny, creative, and a wee bit subversive. There will surely be adults who take issue with one or two bits of the book (like the ladies undergarment floating out of a taxi cab window), but there is much to love about this book.
My favorite part: that Claude the dog has a best friend named Sir Bobblysock...who is, indeed, a sock.
Mari
Aug 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Charming and quirky. . .two of my favorite qualities!
A lovely addition to the bridge book selection at our library. It is short and snappy enough that I was tempted to put it in my early-chapter-book-easier category, but it has some challenging and fun words that tipped it into the "harder" category.
13powellf
Oct 20, 2013 rated it liked it
I have read the book in welsh but it is not on the server!
Becky B
Claude and his best friend Sir Bobblysock go out into the city for the day, go shopping, visit a museum, and end up at the hospital where Claude gets mistaken for a doctor.

Claude is a nice dog to find around, and Sir Bobblysock may be the most unique sidekick I've come across in children's lit. I liked Claude saving the day at the museum, and I liked the doctor's visit part which was quite humorous. I could've done without the underwear and butt gags in the illustrations.
Beyond the Pages
Apr 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I super love the Claude books! The adventures that he and Sir Bobblysock go on are always humorous and so perfectly orchestrated. What a joy this story was.
May 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chi-comedy, chi-j-e
Really cute, silly, somewhat sophisticated beginning chapter book. Not silly potty humor more like silly weird British type humor.
Katy Noyes
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Silly 'dog and his sock' madcap day-in-the-city stories. Great fun.

My 7-year-old read this to me, we managed it in a few bedtimes. I could tell he was amused by it, from the first few pages.

Heavy on illustration, it's a non-challenging read for a newly independent reader. The illustrations are in a limited palette: pink, white and black, which really stands out.

Claude waits until his owners - Mr and Mrs Shinyshoes - are out, then he and his friend, Sir Bobblysock (a sock) hit the city. Their day
Two silly adventures of Claude. In the first one he goes into the city and does all the things one might, like: cafe, museum, shopping...
In the second, he takes his poor sick sock to the doctor. When he is mistaken for a doctor, he solves the mystery of the ill wrestlers.

Quite silly- I anticipate that the kids will love this one. I laughed out loud at a few things myself (Like him cleaning out the beret store.)
Brittany
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a pretty cute book about the adventures of a dog, Claude, and his super sidekick and BFF, Sir Bobblysock. They have some entertaining adventures together that is for sure! An easy and quick read, perfect for the child that is new to the chapter book reading. Also has a hint of British lingo, which makes for a funny story all around.
Mai
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was so adorable! A very nice read even if you aren't a kid. Made me giggle at times. I don't think I'll be able to look at berets and stripy socks the same way anymore, haha

Also, why is the dog called Leo in the Latvian translation if he's Claude in the original?
Zojka Marcin
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Smiešna Smraďoška.
Kristy
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't know how I only discovered this great kids' series (little kid chapter books), but it is so fantastic. I'm in love.
Jillinda
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've been reading this cute series with my 7 year old and they are fabulous.
Bookstork Buzz
Nov 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Claude, a small plump dog who wears a red beret and a lovely red sweater, belongs to Mr. and Mrs. Shinyshoes (who are always seen from their shiny shoes up to their knees). And when Mr. and Mrs. Shinyshoes are out, Claude is up and about and ready for another adventure. This time, he and his unlikely sidekick Sir Bobblysock – yes, a bobbly sock! – are off to see the city.

There’s a lot to see in the city and it’s the author’s art and wacky humour that makes the book soar – though I did find it a
Patricia Kemp Blackmon
Claude decides to take his best friend Sir Bobblysock and tour the city. They had never been to the city before and it was indeed an adventure. They saw buildings so tall they touched the sky and so many people rushing here and there. They found a wonderful place to stop and have a drink. Then he discovered shops, many shops and one he really had to visit where he ended up buying a new beret, well a few berets. He decided to enter a building that reminded him of yummy bones, it was a museum. So ...more
Dawn
Jun 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Claude the dog lives with Mr. and Mrs. Shinyshoes and his best friend Sir Bobblysock, a sock that hops along beside Claude wherever he goes. First, Claude and Sir Bobblysock head to the city, where they converse with pigeons, buy berets in every color, and help stop an art thief. Then, Claude discovers that Sir Bobblysock is sick and they go to the hospital. Once there, Claude has to figure out why all the other patients are sick, and determines eleven-o’clock-itis is the culprit, and tea and co ...more
Moon Shine Art Spot ~ Lisa
Review
MoonShineart

Claude In The City by Alex T. Smith is a wonderfully illustrated children's book so full of fun and adventure children (& adults like me) will be thrilled to read it. I have read a few if Claude's adventures and love every book. Claude is a fun loving dog who puts in his beret and heads out for adventures when his owners leave him home alone, accompanied by his best friend Mr. Bobblysock.

Claude always gets more of an adventure than originally planned which just adds to the
ACS Book-finder
Jul 11, 2013 rated it really liked it

Early chapter book
Ages 1-9, Grades 1-3

Review; This book is one of a series of books about a dog named Claude. Claude lives with Mr. and Mrs. Shiny Shoes. Every day they go to work leaving Claude at home. Claude and his friend Sir Bobblysock have other plans.

They decide to take a trip to the city. While in the city they see all kinds of stores and people. Claude’s favorite place is the beret shop. He goes a little crazy and buys berets of all different colors. Next they visit an art museum where
Amy Forrester
Dec 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Claude is a small dog who loves to explore the city with his best friend Sir Bobblysock (who is both a sock and quite bobbly). Claude and Sir Bobblysock live with Mr. and Mrs. Shinyshoes. Everyday they pretend to sleep until the humans leave and then they choose an adventure for the day. Their escapades take them all over the city from art museums to cafes, hospitals to beret boutiques. No matter where they go, the two friends are always ready to try something new or lend a hand with hilarious r ...more
Dena (Batch of Books)
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
What a funny little book! I read this with my daughter and she laughed out loud several times throughout the story. She loves Sir Bobblysock, and the way Claude takes people's temperatures with a banana.

This is a super cute book that children will enjoy. It is an early chapter book with color illustrations on almost every page. It has 96 pages, but can easily be read within 10 minutes (by an adult).

I did have a concern with the crude jokes that are in the book. One is a sculpture of a person's n
Carol
Apr 11, 2013 rated it liked it
When Claude's owners leave for the day he dons his beret and goes out on the town with his best friend, Sir Bobblysock. As they explores the city he discovers a love for pigeons and art museums. But his greatest find is a store devoted to one of his favorite things, berets. After he buys out the store he inadvertently stops a thief. Later Sir Bobblysock becomes ill and in Claude straps on his roller skates and zooms his little buddy to the hospital. His mischievous ways end up helping lots of pa ...more
Nancy Kotkin
The whole anthropomorphic sock thing doesn't work for me, especially since the sock is drawn as a regular sock, without a face or any bodily features. Yet the text refers to the sock being "slightly deaf in one ear" and on another page the sock orders a drink even though he lacks a mouth. The sock sees things without any eyes and there are a couple mentions of food intake for the sock as well.

This book isn't organized like most children's chapter books. The 94 pages are divided into only two cha
Kelly Woodward
Sep 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Claude In the City is about Claude, a dog who decides to have an adventure with his friend and sidekick, Sir Bobblysock. While sightseeing in the city, Claude accidentally gets mixed up in a robbery (and, of course, saves the day!). This book manages to be simple and silly while maintaining a chic, urban feel. The illustrations are kid-friendly and fun. It's a little old for my son at this point (he's 15 months old), but I had great fun reading it, and I have a feeling he'll get a kick out of it ...more
Barbara
Beret-wearing Claude is a dog with a secret life unknown to his human companions. When they head off to work each day, he and his best friend, Sir Bobblysock leave for their own adventures. As they move through the city, buying berets for Claude nothing much happens until Claude gets in the path of a thief and rushes Sir Bobblysock to the hospital. A nurse thinks he's a doctor, and he figures out the reason for the ailment that seems to be plaguing everyone in the waiting room,including several ...more
Ionia
Feb 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Claude In The City is a very cute book for children. Unfortunately in the galley version I was not able to get an accurate idea of what the illustrations look like, but after the book is released I will update the review.

What I can attest to, is that this is a very cute story that is fun and engaging for children. My boys got a big kick out of this story. The characters are original and funny and there is humor throughout.

My children were able to identify with the main character even without t
Emily
May 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Claude, the beret loving dog, and his best friend Sir Bobbly Socks go on adventures in the City, and somehow end up saving the day! We studied this book over about 5 weeks and the class loved it! It's very funny and has lots of little jokes for adults that children may not pick up on - the strange contraption shop is a bra shop. My children loved acting out the story, making their own art gallery maps and creating their very own Claude story. There are lots of other Claude books, which a few of ...more
Kellie
Nov 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Two fun adventures of Claude the dog and his best friend Sir Bobblysock. I must say that Sir Bobblysock is my favorite part of this book; he is both a sock and quite bobbly as well and grubby and smells a bit like cheese. What's not to like? Great fun & silliness ensue as the friends venture out on their first trip to the city one day and a trip to the hospital the next. I'm eagerly looking forward to more Claude books in the future.
Juliana Lee
Claude is a dog who goes out on adventures when Mr and Mrs Shinyshoes go to work. He takes his favorite old sock with him to the city. They shop, go to the art gallery, and eat in a cafe. The next day his sock does not feel so well so they go to the hospital where a doctor takes him away. Claude wears a doctor's coat and is mistaken for a doctor. Everyone seems to have the same problem, and Claude figures out that they all need a cup of tea and some cookies.
Jay
Feb 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
an amusing story of Claude and his best friend Sir bobblysock. this pair get up to all kinds of unlikely mischief that is sure to entertain most children, especially boys, with silly names like Dr. Ivan Achinbum (this one even made me giggle). and to think that Mr. and Mrs. Shinyshoes never have any idea what kind of adventures Claude gets up to!

*thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for this copy!
Monica
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
I am adding this book to my list...since I read it a total of six times to my niece and nephew. They loved the silliness, the pictures kept them smiling, and each time we read the book they found something they missed in the previous reading. I am always reminded that what I find ideal in a children's book is challenged by the minds of my favourite little people.
  • Amy and the Missing Puppy (The Critter Club, #1)
  • Bink and Gollie: Best Friends Forever (Bink & Gollie, #3)
  • Lulu and the Dog from the Sea (Lulu, #2)
  • Mr. Flux
  • Digby O'Day in the Fast Lane
  • Mrs. Noodlekugel
  • Smarter than Squirrels (Down Girl and Sit)
  • Cakes in Space
  • Bowling Alley Bandit
  • My Happy Life
  • Dodsworth in Paris
  • Tales of Bunjitsu Bunny (Bunjitsu Bunny #1)
  • The Paper Dolls
  • A Little Book of Sloth
  • Anna Hibiscus (Anna Hibiscus, #1)
  • Tiger in My Soup
  • Daisy Dawson Is on Her Way!
  • Charley's First Night

Claude (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Claude at the Beach
  • Claude at the Circus
  • Claude in the Country
  • Claude in the Spotlight
  • Claude on the Slopes
  • Claude: Lights! Camera! Action!
  • Claude Going for Gold!
  • Santa Claude
  • Claude All At Sea
  • Alex T Smith Claude Series Collection 5 Books Set, (Claude in the City, Claude on Holiday, Claude at the Circus, Claude in the Country, Claude in the Spotlight)