Start by marking “Dan Eldon: Safari As a Way of Life” as Want to Read:
Dan Eldon: Safari As a Way of Life

Dan Eldon: Safari As a Way of Life

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  121 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Only 22 when he lost his life on assignment in Somalia, photojournalist Dan Eldon left behind much more than the journals that became the basis for Chronicle's best-seller The Journey Is the Destination. He left a lifetime of adventures that continue to inspire. Raised in Kenya, he took numerous expeditions across Africa that helped him to understand and love the continent ...more
Published October 12th 2011 by Chronicle Books (first published May 18th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Dan Eldon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dan Eldon

Alex
This very beautiful book about Dan Eldon "Safari is a way of life" is written by Jennifer New. It is biography of 180 pages! Dan Eldon was a photojournalist who grew up in Kenya and experienced so many wonderful experiences and had a unique outlook on life. Even though he died at a young age, he inspired so many people and had such a big impact on his family and friends. This book was such a page turner and all the postcards, photographs and letters included really caught my eye. I would recomme ...more
Craig Wiesner
Jan 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why This Book Fits into the Reach And Teach Family AND Why We Love This Book:

Amazing young people in our lives chronicle their lives, actually in some ways live their lives, through pencils, pens, paintbrushes, and other tools that allow them to scribble, doodle, draw, and write in ways that are both silly and profound. At first glance at the cover of this book I immediately felt a connection to Dan Eldon, even though I had never met him and sadly never could. He packed so much life into his sho
liberal sprinkles
I love the design of this book. It incorporates the story of photojournalist and activist Dan Eldon's life and the impact he made on others - even after his death - with images and pages from his art journals. The printed book itself has the feel of an art journal, thanks to the layout and the fact that art Dan made are attached as inserts or stuck onto some pages as postcards, pullout pages and postcards.

This book is an excellent visual biography but if you have read about his life, you may not
liberal sprinkles

Barbara
Jan 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ncbla, writing, war
Dan Eldon grew up in Kenya where he was drawn to the land and its people. His parents and educational experiences encouraged his creative spirit, and he recorded his thoughts in journals filled with notes, photographs, and whatever realia he could find to paste in the journals' pages. This book tells about the incredible life this young photojournalist led before being killed in 1993 at the age of 22 in Mogadishu. As such, the pages are filled with descriptions of Dan's adventures but also with ...more
Marty
Oct 17, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a quick read, mostly pictures of pages from Dan Eldon's journals. Dan died at age 22 while working in Somalia as a photojournalist. He grew up in Nairobi with his father Mike, mother Kathy, who moved to London when he was a teenager, and his sister Amy. His mother was a Knapp from Iowa, parents Russell and Louise. I don't know if they are related to the real estate Knapp family in Des Moines, but I suspect they are because they were wealthy enough to travel the globe when Kathy was young ...more
Marla
Feb 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen
I have been fascinated with Dan Eldon since I first encountered "The Journey is the Destination" in 1997. Since then, I've given that book as a graduation gift to several people. As a teen librarian I was thrilled to see a Dan Eldon biography published, with a bigger glimpse into the short life of this truly visionary young man. A perfect book for artists, journalists, photographers, dreamers...
Charles Stephen
Aug 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dan Eldon was a beautiful young man, a photojournalist, who died while covering the famine in Somalia in 1992. He jammed more good deeds and enthusiasm into 22 years than the rest of generate in a lifetime. For more on his legacy see daneldon.com or daneldon.org I plan to look into more of the documentaries and books that followed on his death more than two decades ago. Note my disagreement that this book is young adults.
Jan 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this scrapbook-style biography about the short life of Dan Eldon, a graduate of the International School of Kenya. He became a photographer covering the famine in Somalia and recorded his life - viewed as a grand adventure or "safari" - in journals packed with artwork. He was killed at age 22.
Neal Moore
May 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My neighbor told me about this book after having just met Kathy and Amy Eldon and said that if I loved Africa, which he knew I did, I needed to immediately go buy this book. I've since given about twenty copies of the book away to fellow travelers all over the world. I love Dan's mantra: Safari as a way of life.
Sonya
May 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite artists- just gone way to soon for all of that talent. it is great to see how his legacy lives on and how much he was able to accomplish. I really like the webpage and foundation that is set up in his name and the great works that they do. His work inspires to make the most of the time that you have, that is all we can do.
Mark Benedict
May 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The format, Jennifer, is engaging and stunning; the story of Dan I only found moderately compelling though-- it seems for how much journal there is, a more clear revelation of his emotions could be developed.
Skylar Sanders
May 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I.. Loved. This. Book.

It inspired me even more to work in Africa. Dan Eldon was such a beautiful man (inside and out) and I wish he could still be with us today. Thanks to New and Eldon's family for having the courage to share this heart-breaking story. It has inspired so many.
Kim
Dec 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Last book of 2011! Dan Eldon was an artist and photojournalist who died young (22). He lived an exuberant life, however, and much of its energy is depicted in his illustrated journals. Inspiring and beautiful!
Randy
Dec 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
An inspiring account of a tragically short life well-lived.
Rebecca Plaza
Nice picture into a life too soon ended.
Emily Jones
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh that handsome & inspiring Dan Eldon!
Edward Sullivan
A fascinating visual biography of an artist, adventurer, and humanitarian who died much too young.
Andrea
  • Personal Geographies: Explorations in Mixed-Media Mapmaking
  • Creative Wildfire: An Introduction to Art Journaling - Basics and Beyond
  • The Art Journal Workshop: Break Through, Explore, and Make it Your Own
  • Making an Impression: Designing  Creating Artful Stamps
  • Art Lab for Kids: 52 Creative Adventures in Drawing, Painting, Printmaking, Paper, and Mixed Media-For Budding Artists of All Ages
  • Art at the Speed of Life: motivation + inspiration for making mixed-media art every day
  • Papercraft: Design and Art with Paper
  • Mod Podge Rocks!: Decoupage Your World
  • Image Transfer Workshop: Mixed-media Techniques for Successful Transfers
  • Creative Paint Workshop for Mixed-Media Artists: Experimental Techniques for Composition, Layering, Texture, Imagery, and Encaustic
  • 500 Handmade Books: Inspiring Interpretations of a Timeless Form