Start by marking “His Mistress by Christmas (Mistress Trio, #2; Sinful Family Secrets, #1)” as Want to Read:
His Mistress by Christmas (Mistress Trio, #2; Sinful Family Secrets, #1)

His Mistress by Christmas

(Mistress Trio #2)

For three years, Lady Veronica Smithson has been perfectly happy as a widow --- and thoroughly independent. Still, the right gentleman could provide the benefits of marriage without the tedious restrictions. And in Sir Sebastian Hadley-Attwater, renowned explorer and rogue, Veronica is sure she has found him.

Sebastian will come into his inheritance in a matter of weeks ---
Published September 27th 2011 by Kensington

To ask other readers questions about His Mistress by Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about His Mistress by Christmas

Start your review of His Mistress by Christmas (Mistress Trio, #2; Sinful Family Secrets, #1)
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

He wants a wife – she wants a lover. Can spending time together during the Christmas holidays help them reach a compromise? He hopes not because he’d rather she give him more than her body; he wants her heart and soul - after all, she’s stolen his!

Such a fun historical romance! No angst, no contrived drama… just a feel good, delightful holiday tale!

Reviewed for Affaire de Coeur Magazine
Catherine
*4.5 Stars*

Looking for angst? Looking for brooding characters who have a hard time letting themselves be happy? Looking for a shy heroine who hasn’t enjoyed sex to date and needs to be shown the power of the mighty orgasm? If you answered yes to any of those, it’s probably best to keep on walking, because this book is completely unlike any of those things. It is light and happy and is filled with farcical situations that had me laughing out loud. I know that whenever I pick up an Alexander there
Laura the Highland Hussy
Aug 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a fun, quick read that had me smiling throughout the whole book.

Veronica is happy as a widow, but one who misses having a man in her bed. So she decides to take a lover. She doesn’t want a husband, though, as she enjoys her freedom and control over her own life. As she attends a lecture of her dear friend’s cousin, she sees the man she wants. He is brilliant, attractive, and has the reputation of being quite the rake. He's perfect for her.

Sir Sebastian Hadley-Attwater can’t take his
Branwen *of House Targaryen*
"Do try not to be shocked. I want a man, darling, not a husband. I've had a husband, and while I have no regrets on that score, I have no desire to have another. I want adventure, not routine. I prefer not to do what's expected of me."

Victoria Alexander is rapidly rising to be one of my favorite romance authors. Not only does she know how to spin a delightfully wonderful story, but she does it with grace and humor and intelligence. A wonderful combination!

This was a fantastic book, especially
☕️Kimberly
Nov 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
4.5
Author Victoria Alexander delighted me with this tale, its colorful characters, humor and twists. I quickly consumed this and closed the book with a smile. This is the perfect Regency romance to get you in the mood for the holidays.

The tale begins when we meet the widowed Lady Veronica Smithson. She and her friend Portia are watching a speech presented by the dashingly handsome Sir Sebastian Hadley-Attwater. He is a renowned explorer, published writer and a reported rogue. While Veronica is
Lisa Kay
Victorian Christmas II, by Thomas Kincaid
Photobucket

Yes, yes! I know Christmas is over with; nonetheless, I put this audiobook on request at the public library and didn’t receive it until after the holiday. So, I stayed up on New Year’s working on all my lovely new 2012 challenges and – lo and behold – I’m delighted to say I’ve found a charming new author! I’m pretty sure I tried one of her books before and it didn’t grab me, but Susan Duerden narrated this one to near perfection.

There is nothing new
Angela
Mar 17, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 stars, because at times the clever dialogue made me smile. I didn't laugh out loud, but definitely appreciated how witty some of the characters were.

There were a few things that made this book tedious, but my two biggest beefs with the story are:

A) The characters were head over heels in love with each other by their third encounter. It was a little too sappy for my tastes.

And

B) There were quite a few public make-out scenes (and by public, I mean in front of both of their rather large
Susan
What a fun book. Both Veronica and Sebastian find themselves at crossroads in their lives. They meet at the intersection and decide that they'd like to continue together. The problem is that they are looking down different roads. Both of them are accustomed to getting what they want and seeing them each try to convince the other makes for a really fun time.

Veronica has been a widow for three years. She had loved her husband and they had a good life together, but she's ready to move on. She's
Desiree M ~*~*~ LiveReadCollect
1.5-2 stars.

I wasn't that impressed with this book. This is the second Victoria Alexander book I've read or tried to read because I didn't finish the first one I tried.

In this novel I liked the idea of Veronica wanting to be Sebastian's mistress and Sebastian wanting her to be his wife but the execution was lacking. The main characters didn't seem to have much or any sexual chemistry, even their disagreements didn't spark, they were just dull. I was bored for most of this book and the main
BJ Rose
Jan 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
I wavered between 3*/4* for a while, but finally decided that the premise of the love story moved it up for me - I love it when the guy knows he's in love & wants marriage, but has to convince the reluctant gal that it's really more than just lust for his beautiful body! And it includes a country house party, which I always like.
Susan

Lady Delacour
What FUN!
Predictable yes,
but you just didn't care.
Reminiscent of the old
black and white comedic movies.
Narrator Susan Duerden was great.
Only one embarrassing part,
easily skipped over.
Not Clean, One mild foul word.
Pam
Nov 27, 2011 rated it did not like it
Veronica Smithson has decided that she wants to be a mistress, and never a wife. She had been married, happily too, but since she was widowed a few years back and got a taste of true independence she refuses to let a man control anything about her life again. She sets her eyes on Sebastian Hadley-Attwater, her friend’s cousin, at a lecture he was speaking at and decides that she wants to be his mistress. Sebastian is an author and a world traveler. It is rumored that he has been with many women ...more
Jessi
The second of three widowed friends finds her match in this book. Lady Veronica Smithsonhas been widowed for three years and she's decided that is long enough to wait for grand adventure; she's ready to take a lover. When her friend Poppy's cousin returns from gallivanting all over the globe, Veronica decides that he is the perfect man to take as her lover.
Hugh has a different idea however. He finds Veronica delectable but he's ready for respectability and marriage. Also, he has to prove to his
Sharyn
Jul 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
So I am still trying to get through the "A's" on my bookshelf. I had actually read this before, but it was so much fun I read it again!!Veronica and Sebastien banter so wonderfully, I just smiled throughout. I can't wait to read more of his family, but right now I am on a search for Portia's book, which none of my libraries have!! And I have to fill in all her other series' that I only have partially filled on my bookshelf. It is already almost August and I will not fulfill my summer wish of ...more
Tarra
Nov 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
Very endearing and sweet romance. No big villains or complications, just a lovely, funny story about finding the greatest adventure of your life when you find someone you can truly love and trust.

I just noticed that this book is subtitled "Sinful Family Secrets." That is very misleading to me. Makes this book sound like there is something dark and sinister going on. Not the case. (Most people would probably not even consider the "secret" in the story to be that "sinful.") So if you're looking
Romancing the Book
Mar 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical, romance
Reviewed By~Desere
Review Copy Provided By~Publisher

From one of the most brilliant historical authors of our time comes the tale of Lady Victoria and Sebastian, two people who each want and crave a little certain something in life and both will not stop to get it.

Lady Veronica wants to taste the forbidden passion she craves and still be seen as a true lady. However she does not bet on her target for passion being so forceful in getting what he wants. Sebastian does not back down.

The fun really
Elizabeth Nesbit-comer
meh this could have been better. It certainly had a good start, but then all they do is talk, talk, talk, and talk some more. Seriously, 95% of the book is dialog. Nothing really happens except for a few misunderstandings that are resolved too easily and then one that isn't any worse than the others causes the heroine to over-react and run off. Then they have to talk, talk, talk some more and of course they were all just misunderstandings to begin with so really there were no problems at all ...more
Amanda
Jul 30, 2013 rated it it was ok
Positive: I love that the hero's an explorer and the heroine toes the line of propriety.
Negative: I COULD NOT stand the heroine by fifty pages in. She wants to be a mistress even though this guy will obviously not domineer as a husband and her last marriage was amazing. Hearing her talk was infuriating. The only good part was that everyone else in the book also thought she was acting like an idiot.

I do however want to read about the rest of the family, because those stories sound interesting.
Tory Michaels
May 11, 2012 rated it liked it
My problem with this book, as with almost all of Ms. Alexander's books is the preponderance (yes, I probably misspelled that word) of "said under his/her breath" and "murmured". There are multiple times when someone mutters under their breath twice in two pages. I didn't count them, but easily 50+ instances of both in this book.

Good, sweet story, lower-level heat levels, but that's grand in a Regency. I like her stories. But someone needs to shoot her editor (metaphorically, not literally,
PoligirlReads
Jan 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
Just okay-- not bad, but not great, either. Certainly not a keeper. Both hero and heroine were dull, and you could see where the plot was headed from the outset. Secondary characters Aunt Lotte and Bianca were much more interesting. The back of the book has a quote from USA Today saying it has "delectably clever dialogue on every page." We must have very different ideas of delectable and clever, because there was very little of this on *any* page, let alone every page.
Caro
Mar 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical
A fun farce of a read. I enjoyed the characters, the story, emotions, family, and pretty much the whole thing. The ending was great and the strategies and wit getting there was definitely a roller coaster. I shook my head plenty, laughed to myself a little, smiled and pretty much had a good time. It was like watching a train wreck. Overall a good read for cuddling up with in a comfy spot and diving in. Enjoy
Virginia
Sep 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
I am really enjoying Alexander's later historical romances! I find that compared to her earlier works, her writing has matured. Her humor, story lines, and characters have become far more developed, realistic, and fun. This story is no exception. Quite a farce, the two main characters are mature, with none of the histrionics I find endemic in romances, and the subplots and intrigues of various characters are vastly amusing.
Donna
Nov 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
This was a fun seasonal read, with a cast of wonderful characters, and minimal heartache. I'm a softie, and I dislike when the h/h are at odds for most of the book. Here, obstacles must be overcome, but never so much that they are estranged or fighting.

Looking forward to the others in this series!
Lynne Tull
Too much back and forth with individual introspection. Then, when they got together and were still in their own head hashing everything over again. There was also a lot of filler educating me on the Victorian Christmas traditions. Not my favorite of this series. Of course, this is only the second one I have read.
Lynetta
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book carries a promise of much more than it deliveres. It builds on seduction but fails in its delivery. I did not like reading through so much dialogue . There was too much talk and not entertaining o ugh action. If there is a historical romance novel that falls short of my expectations, this is one.
Diana Francis
Nov 11, 2011 rated it liked it
I really wanted this book to be better than it was. I'm not saying it was bad, because it wasn't. But it just was a bit flat too me. There were a lot of characters that had a lot of potential, and maybe they'll play out in later books in this series, as there seems there will be more. But it just wasn't enough over all. It felt a bit like eating diet chocolate. Just wasn't robust enough.
Farrah
Dec 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Although I am not really a huge reader of romance, I needed something light and mindless for the holidays. This was a surprisingly good read and I really enjoyed it. Lots of witty humor and great characters. A great read for the holidays!
Robin
Dec 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
I thought this book had a really fun plot and was well written. I was a little disappointed that for a romance, there was only one "romantic" scene. I wanted to see more interaction between Veronica and Sebastian!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 09, 2015 10:18AM
Goodreads Librari...: REQUEST TO ADD BOOK 5 28 Jul 20, 2013 01:40PM

• Someone to Remember (Westcott #7)
  • The Importance of Being Wicked (The Wild Quartet, #1)
  • Lady Sophie's Christmas Wish (The Duke's Daughters, #1; Windham, #4)
  • Project Duchess (Duke Dynasty, #1)
  • The Ruin of a Rogue (The Wild Quartet, #2)
  • Surprising Lord Jack (Duchess of Love, #2)
  • Nowhere Near Respectable (Lost Lords, #3)
  • One Rogue Too Many (Rival Rogues, #1)
  • His Wicked Reputation (Wicked Trilogy, #1)
  • Dukes, Actually (12 Dukes of Christmas # 5)
  • A Matter of Class
  • The Virtuoso (Duke's Obsession, #3; Windham, #3)
  • Heir to the Duke (The Duke's Sons, #1)
  • Lord Sebastian's Secret (The Duke's Sons, #3)
  • Earl of Kent (The League of Rogues, #11)
  • The Soldier (Duke's Obsession, #2; Windham, #2)
  • Joy to the Duke (Love is All Around #3)
  • The Duke of Dark Desires (The Wild Quartet, #4)

New York Times bestselling author Victoria Alexander was an award winning television reporter until she discovered fiction was much more fun than real life. She turned to writing full time and is still shocked it worked out.

Since the publication of her first book in 1995,

Mistress Trio (3 books)
  • The Perfect Mistress (Mistress Trio, #1)
  • Same Time, Next Christmas (Mistress Trio, #3)
“I say seduce her, seduce her tonight. Break the door down if you have to. Tell her all those things you said to me about her. You will love her more tomorrow than today and how you want to die with her hand in yours–which is an excellent line, by the way, that I fully intend to borrow when the time comes.” 9 likes
“Her heart leapt, which made no sense at all. This was not to be an affair of the heart. There would be affection certainly, but nothing more. Apparently her heart wasn't aware of her plans. Odd, she'd never known it to be rebellious before.” 3 likes