Start by marking “The Honey Makers” as Want to Read:
The Honey Makers

The Honey Makers

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  69 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
How sweet it is. Thousands of bees visited more than one million flowers to gather the nectar that went into that one-pound jar of honey. Here's the buzz on how these remarkable insects work together to create this amazing food.
Published April 5th 2000 by Collins (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Honey Makers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Honey Makers

Megan Bernhard
The Honey Makers is a beautifully illustrated informational book about a look into a bee hive. Gail Gibbons presents the information about the honey makers through a story in sequential order. Accompanying the story is labeled illustrations and diagrams of different types of honey bees and steps throughout the cycle of making honey. This book presents accurate information that is presented in an organized way. The information in the book is easy to follow along with to read as a story or to revi ...more
Ashley Lahr
#1 INFO
This book was all about bees. It talked about the different types of bees. Some of these were:queen, drone, and worker bees. The bees only live about two months. They all have several jobs, such as, foragers, nurse, guard, house, wax making, and court bees. It also went into detail about how the bees help pollinate flowers when they are collecting nectar. Finally it talks about how beekeepers use the bees to make honey.
Tracy
Nov 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: informational
A very detailed book about bees and their work. Engaging illustrations that are so detailed that they may be difficult to see unless close to the book. Probably not a good read aloud book for this reason. This book would be a great book for an insect unit or plant unit in fifth grade and younger.
Alicia Lawrence
This book gave all the information you need on honey bees. The book is very easy to read and organized. I think that a young student would easily be able to navigate through it and learn about honey bees.
The Brothers
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bees, honey, insects, science
Very interesting and informative book about how bees make honey. Goes into great detail about all the different kinds of bees and all the tasks bees have to do to make the sweet stuff.

Really nice and detailed illustrations.
Alice
Jul 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-50-stars
3.5 stars An interesting and factual book about bees. I even learned a little! I have lots of questions though that I am not going to have to research. What makes a queen bee a queen bee...her anatomy sounds totally different than a regular female...intrigue!~ Very interesting!
Naomi Blackburn
Aug 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was fascinating. There was so much to the honey bee that I never knew. Even as an adult, I learned from this book and I love those kinds of kids books. The illustrations were interesting and complimented the text well.
Jessica
Jun 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
Great informational text on all things bees. Really enjoy the illustrations and presentation of information.
Jen
Apr 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I was fascinated by this book. I learned a lot about bees but enjoyed it's picture book, kid-friendly format.
Theresa
Jul 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: review
a good resource for teaching about the cycle of life
Janet
Feb 21, 2016 added it
Shelves: nature
Detailed story of the amazing bees and their keepers!
Rachel Otting
Informational book all about bees.
iTeach
Jan 30, 2015
Maura
Dec 10, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
From gailgibbons.com: I was born in Oak Park, Illinois, in 1944. Even as a little child, I was always busy putting books together. Sometimes I would bind them with yarn to hold the pages together. I've always loved drawing and painting. I was also a very curious child. My parents tell me that I was always asking lots and lots of questions.

Later, I went on to the University of Illinois, where I stu
More about Gail Gibbons...