Start by marking “New Shoes (Shoes, #10)” as Want to Read:
New Shoes (Shoes, #10)

New Shoes

(Bell Family #2)

No one in the Reverend Bell's family wants to leave the beloved old parish and move to Crestel New Town, where people haven't had the chance to become friends.
It's up to the Bells to give them that chance. Before long the four children--Paul, Jane, Ginnie, and Angus--start looking for ways to help their father turn this unfriendly place into a close community.
Then Ginnie a
Published May 1st 1985 by Dell Yearling (first published 1960)

Beth
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
The only Shoes book I've read for the first time as an adult! I laughed a lot. This is hilarious. Ginnie is spectacular, as always, and the neighbors are amazing. Almost too good to be true, balanced out by idiosyncrasy.

There are some very mature moments here, centering on people who really don't want to be neighborly, and what happens when they meet the Bells, who crash into town with the force of a tornado and a loudspeaker mounted on their car. You get to see Alex being good at his job - for
Felicity
Nov 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
I really enjoyed reading this book. It started of a bit slow then by the end I couldn't put it down.

The Bell family live in st Marks vicarage in London then the children realise that the adults are keeping a secret from them. They find out that they are moving out to Crestal New Town which they are upset by. And when they move the people aren't so friendly and they have to find a way to turn Crestal New Town in to a better community.

This book is charmingly written and I loved the way the childr
Erin
Dec 22, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Quite enjoyed this tale of the Bell family, uprooted and work hard to create a community in Crestal New Town. Streatfeild's writing seems aimed to a more mature child in this one, versus the disappointing Dancing Shoes.
Kate H
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have always loved Noel Streatfeild's books and as a child I got my library to ILL them for me or hunted through second hand book stores to find all of them. She tells the perfect "girls stories". I was always able to find one character in each book that was my favorite. They definitely stand up to re-reads.
Elizabeth Lund
Good read. The sort of community-oriented story you don't see much these days.
Cori
Sep 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
LOVE the shoe books.
The sequel to Family Shoes. As would be expected, not quite as good but well worth the read anyway.
Jane Irish Nelson
Nov 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
When the Bishop offers Alex a new parish, in a new town on the outskirts of London, most of the family want to stay at St. Mark's, where they are comfortable and know everyone. Except Jane, who is happy her trip to ballet school will be shortened.

The first half of the book tell of the preparations as they get ready to leave, packing everything up, and fitting it into the much larger vicarage. (I found it odd that the vicarages weren't furnished, and they had to provide everything, including car
Margaret
Jessica Gilmore
Sep 18, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Granddaddy's Turn: A Journey to the Ballot Box
  • The Moffat Museum (The Moffats, #4)
  • Death at Sandringham House (Her Majesty Investigates #2)
  • Dido and Pa (The Wolves Chronicles, #7)
  • Mirror of Danger (Come Back, Lucy)
  • Wagon Wheels
  • Gone Camping: A Novel in Verse
  • Their Great Gift: Courage, Sacrifice, and Hope in a New Land
  • Back to School with Betsy
  • The Famous Stanley Kidnapping Case
  • Knit Your Bit: A World War I Story
  • The Exiles at Home (The Exiles, #2)
  • The Undertaker's Gone Bananas
  • Peter Pan
  • My Just Desire: The Life of Bess Raleigh, Wife to Sir Walter
  • Miss Bianca (The Rescuers, #2)
  • The Ghost of Thomas Kempe
  • New Treasure Seekers (Bastable Children, #3)
Mary Noel Streatfeild, known as Noel Streatfeild, was an author best known and loved for her children's books, including Ballet Shoes and Circus Shoes. She was born on Christmas Eve, 1895, the daughter of William Champion Streatfeild and Janet Venn and the second of six children to be born to the couple. Sister Ruth was the oldest, after Noel came Barbara, William ('Bill'), Joyce (who died of TB p ...more

Bell Family (2 books)
  • Family Shoes (Shoes, #8)