Start by marking “De roep van de Wilde Zwaan” as Want to Read:
De roep van de Wilde Zwaan

De roep van de Wilde Zwaan (The Wild Swan Trilogy #1)

4.35  ·  Rating details ·  845 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
De beeldschone Alexandria Thaine heeft een zeer ongelukkige jeugd, totdat ze door tussenkomst van haar grootmoeder wordt ondergebracht bij verre verwanten, de Falconers. In dit harmonieuze gezin leert Alex wat de woorden liefde en geborgenheid betekenen. Tussen Rane, de jongste zoon van de Falconers, en Alex ontstaat een hechte vriendschap. De vele uren die ze samen doorbr ...more
Published 1992 by ZUID-HOLLANDSCHE UITGEVERSMAATSCHAPPIJ (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about De roep van de Wilde Zwaan, please sign up.

Amy It is available to check out in ebook format from Open Library.

MomToKippy
The synopsis above and Misfit's review basically cover the general plot and my feelings about it so I don't have much to add there. Really good historical fiction in the epic family saga vein. The great amount of research that went in to this as described in the prologue is evident in all its 687 pages. Much of the story is based on real events, people and even specific horse races.

Clovelly in Devon
Clovelly, Devon - donkeys needed to traverse the steep streets.

West country smugglers
West country smugglers (Falconers)

What resonates mo
Misfit
Aug 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(4.5) One woman in love with two men and an 80's saga that survives the test of time. Wild Swan begins in 1813 as thirteen year old Alexandria (Alex) Thaine's grandmother sends her to live with distant relatives on the west coast of England to get her away from her hateful mother. In Devon she thrives with the Falconer family and especially forming a lifelong bond with the younger son Rane. Rane decides to wait until Alex is old enough before he asks for her, but in the meantime Alex's sister di ...more
Melissa
Jan 24, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes horses and romance
Recommended to Melissa by: my mom
My mom had always urged me to read this trilogy and I guffawed and called it a "lusty romance novel," which she in turn corrected it to be "historical fiction." It was a combo of both. If you are a horse person, which I am, this was a beautifully writted story of a young women and her trials and tribulations, marriage and second marriage all under the backdrop of a horse ranch. I really enjoyed all three of the books in the series. Mom was right to urge me to read them!
Darby
Feb 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had this series and read it OVER and OVER. I read it so much the pages were falling out. Then during one of my moves, I lost the books. I miss them as I would like to reread them right now. I just searched my library's online catalog and of course they have books 2 and 3 but not the first. I read this book the first time when I was in high school. My Mom had read it and gave it to me to read. I ended up buying the 2nd and 3rd books when they came out as I just enjoyed Wild Swan so much. It was ...more
Jeanette
Apr 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Completely old school and detailed to extreme, this romantic (definitely romance genre)epic of the Napoleonic and Post-Napoleonic period is also classic mid-20th century style American historical fiction writing. Within 5 or 6 main characters, but essentially with Alex, St. John, Rane and their immediate family members- you will end up knowing all minutia of days. Down to everything but the waste pots agenda. I do believe that is the only movement or activity somewhat obscured. Do I sound like t ...more
L8blmr
Oct 09, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the genre
Recommended to L8blmr by: it's been with my TBR's so long, I've forgotten!
I'll give this 3.5 stars, something like "I almost really liked it" when, in truth, I almost hated it at times, while almost loving it at others. It's been a LONG time since I read one of the epic historic romances (early to mid-1800's England and America). I cried so many times while reading this that I swore I wouldn't read one again for another LONG time. The heroine was somewhat like a sweet version of Scarlett O'Hara, though English by birth. There were 2 heroes: one might have been a much ...more
Kara
Jun 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Possibly the only historical romance trilogy I have ever read. I really enjoyed this during my high school years... loving horses is an added bonus.

I was pretty shocked to see so few reviews and learn that this is now out of print. One of my favorites from back in the day. (Really not sure what my opinion of it would be these days).
Naksed
Perhaps they are swan maidens with fine gold chains around their necks... When they settle on secret ponds and lakes, they take off their feather cloaks and are beautiful women, eternally young. That's who I'll wed, one of the swan maidens.

Flocks of beautiful wild swans fly serenely throughout the almost two decades that span Celeste De Blasis' epic, wonderful historical novel Wild Swan, graceful birds of love who are blissfully unaware of the earth-bound humans who look up longingly at them, wi
LemonLinda
Jul 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hfu-2014
I read this to fulfil a challenge requirement for a romance novel and it definitely fit that task perfectly. One previous review I read of this book called it a "lusty romance novel" and that also fits somewhat, but it was really so much more than a mere "bodice ripper". It was a quite good historical fiction. Set in the first half of the 19th century in both England and Maryland, it confronts issues of the day in both places including free trading, Napoleonic Wars, immigration, nobility, horse ...more
Jerelyn
I had to let this settle and to think about it for awhile before I ventured my opinion. I really liked this book I loved the story between Alex and Rane, St John just bugged me. I am going to read the second book, I wanted more Rane and less St. John heres hoping.

I think the author captured the feel of Maryland after the War of 1812, but I believe that the historical aspects of the story are correct. I found the horse racing history fasinating. She deals well with the slavery issue which is dif
Amy
This is one of those old, sweeping historical novels...epic family saga...travels across the ocean...thwarted love...brave heroine and tumultuous times. I ate these kinds of books up in my 20s and I enjoyed this one. Overall, there was too much horse stuff for me, but the book reminded me of all the fun I had with these types of novels. Got to pull out my copy of The Thornbirds now....
Jenette
Jan 25, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical Romance Fans
Recommended to Jenette by: Cory
Shelves: loan-from-cory
The book is pre civil war. Its about a young woman who immigrates from England to Maryland and begins a horse farm dynasty. I like the writing and felt a part of the story. It had a lot of historical references but did not get super in-depth about the historical details. It is based on a horse racing farm in Maryland and also deals with ship building of the time.
Hope Yarborough
Apr 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
I loved this book! i have not read the other two books in the series. This is somewhat of a historical piece. A great love story, and a book that you just don't want t o put down. I can't wait to read the others in the series.
Devoni
Jul 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Wild Swan series (3 books) are my all time favorite books. However, it's been many years since I read them. One of these days I'll reread them and see if my tastes have changed.
Leslie
Aug 05, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
LOVED this whole series !
Angel Joy
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first time I read this book I was a young girl, my grandmother read these books then I read them after her. My love of reading began and I have loved books that make me see a picture in my mind and I shall always have the swan series to remember this. Years later I purchased all three of the books and reread them several times.
Pam Walter
3.5 White Swan is a fascinating work of Historical Romance primarily taking place in the American antebellum south. The story begins in England in the early 19th century when two young men,
St. John Carrington, and Rane Falcone (Ashley Wilkes and Rhett Butler), fall in love with the adolescent Alexandria Thane (Scarlett O'hara). Alex is in love with Rane, but becomes irrevocably entwined with St John (to her Sinje) as he is widowed with twin babies and then returns from the battle of Waterloo ha
Amanda
Apr 14, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to say this was one of those books that I would be reading and be really into, then it would piss me off and I would have to put it down. It's a very epic tale, and I love all of the history and background that the author gave on all the characters. With that being said, at a certain point, it derailed. Just hit a wall. For me, I was pulling for one of the main characters, Rane, to make a come back, and he did, it just took forever!

There was so much heartbreak and angst that it made for
Maggie
Dec 26, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up
Despite the silly title - which sounds like one of those "bodice-ripper" romance novels - I took a chance on this book after reading the good reviews on Goodreads and on Amazon. I've enjoyed historical romance novels in the past - as long as they were mostly history and light on romance (the Outlander series comes to mind) - but this book didn't grab me for some reason. I found myself wishing I were reading something else. When I realized my mind had wandered throughout an entire chapter, I gave ...more
Barb
Jul 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-books
This has always been one of my favorites. I read it many years ago and then even reread once. I'm an avid reader and it's rare that I get attached enough to keep a book. I found this book recently and wanted to see if it stood the test of time. So I re-read and was not disappointed. The characters will stay with me forever and I'm not sure what other books I can really say that about.

So much happens in the course of this book and while there is tragedy and injustice, this book proves that life g
Pam
Sep 22, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun, light romantic piece of historical fiction. Not strong on substance or style, but the characters are charming enough to keep you reading. Sure our heroine, Alex, leans a little towards that idealized perfect woman ... Beautiful, petite, feminine, but charmingly independent and spunky, but this didn't bother me too much because she fit well with this style of book. Not the type of book to read if you actually want to learn a lot of the history of the American Civil War and England' ...more
Linda
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Celeste De Blasis was ahead of her time in her portrayal of strong romantic heroines who took control of their own lives and demanded equal footing with their men. De Blasis' greatest accomplishment was the Wild Swan trilogy. The novels span the lives of Alexandria Carrington Falconer and her descendants from 1813 to 1894 in both England and America.

This is an excellent trilogy....I have read it twice...once in the early 80's and again in 2010....all of De Blasis books are very good.
Beth Messina
Feb 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am saddened that Ms. DeBlasis has passed. Her writings are among my most favorite. I have read this swan trilogy three times and it is time to read again. She writes about things I love, horses, romance, England, the South and historical fiction. Her stories pull you "in" and you fall in love with the characters, the time and the places she takes you. I've read everything she has written and wish there were more....
Anne Marie
Oct 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't sure at first I would enjoy a story that took place in the early 1800's. But I soon got myself engrossed in this historical/romance. It was interesting to read the point of views of the characters during this time period as well as brush up on the history taking place at the time. The War of 1812 had passed and now thoughts of civil war are spoken. The love story between Alex, Rane, and St. John was unique, unpredictable, and a relief in the end when everything falls into place.
Kati
I love long and involved books that just suck you into their world. This is my second De Blasis read and I'm looking forward to more of her books, though I think she didn't write that many. She has clearly put much research into her writing and it was fun reading about the minutia of everyday life. Written in the 80's it has a style all its own with a strong female character, but is sadly not available digitally. A juicy vintage book, this is not a bodice ripper but is surprisingly steamy.
Cathy
Oct 12, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Someone recommended this book to me--I had it on my personal to read list, although now I wonder if I didn't have the title slightly wrong. At first I really wanted to like this book, but then I found it full of cliches, with a main character who the author made a heroine in spite of immoral acts (the author seemed to think there was nothing wrong with fornication, adultery and accessory to murder as long as her heroine was a "good person"), and several R-rated (or worse) scenes.
Tricia
Dec 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book I have read that was written by Celeste De Blasis...and I was not disappointed! The first book I read was "The Proud Breed". Her thorough research shows in her writing yet again. She brings to life the characters, the scenery, the tragedies, the accomplishments, that it is just an adventure to read her books! Moving on to the second book in her Swan trilogy!
Amy
Jul 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is what I'd call a saga about a family during the end of the Napoleonic wars in England and progresses through their relocating to America. Their struggles, personally and with the times, are gripping. The author ties in historical events really well and this, interestingly, includes the history of horse racing and the breeding of thoroughbreds.
Silver
Oct 31, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I usually never read "romance" novels, but I LOVE this book! The main character, Alexandria, is a model of common sense and love and strong character. The two books that follow are quite good, also.
I hate all other books by this author.
DeAnna
Aug 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this whole series! Sprawling historical family drama is a favorite. Just deducted one star because the main characters tend to be a little TOO perfect, but I loved spending time with them and wish the author would add more books to the series.
  • Lily Cigar
  • Paint The Wind
  • Eden Rising (Eden, #5)
  • Omamori
  • The Rain Maiden
  • My Lord Monleigh
  • The Moon in The Water (Heron, #1)
  • The Peaceable Kingdom
  • Stormswift
  • Roselynde (The Roselynde Chronicles, #1)
  • A Dark and Distant Shore
  • The Black Swan
  • The Hearth and Eagle
  • The Nonsuch Lure
  • Zemindar
  • Once More, Miranda
  • Calico Palace
  • Forever My Love
Celeste N. De Blasis was a successful American writer of historical-romance novels. She grew up on the Kemper Campbell Ranch in Victorville, California, in the high Mojave Desert. She attended Wellesley College, later transferred to Oregon State University, and in 1968 graduated from Pomona College, near her home. She continued to live on the ranch until her death.

In 1969 De Blasis received the So
More about Celeste De Blasis...

The Wild Swan Trilogy (3 books)
  • Swan's Chance (Wild Swan Trilogy, #2)
  • A Season of Swans (Wild Swan Trilogy, #3)

“You did not seduce me. I came to you. If you cannot accept my strengths as well as my weaknesses, if you cannot take from me as well as give to me, you cannot love me.” 5 likes
“It is so difficult to be honest when someone has died; it's as if truth stops at the grave even when the lies continue to hurt the living.” 1 likes