Start by marking “The Naked Room” as Want to Read:
The Naked Room

The Naked Room

(Susan Prescott series #1)

When classical pianist Ally Carpenter goes missing during a night out with friends, the implicationsstretch far beyond her disappearance.

Veteran detective, Senior Sergeant Susan Prescott, believesthat sexual predators may have abducted Ally. However, after two women with connections to the Carpenters are murdered, she realises there may be more to the crime than at first

Published May 2nd 2011 (first published November 17th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Naked Room, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Naked Room

Start your review of The Naked Room
Brenda
The terror that twenty five year old classical pianist Ally Carpenter felt when she woke from a drugged sleep to find herself restrained in a bare room, unable to escape was mind numbing. Where was she; why was she there? All she could remember was the bar where they’d all been enjoying a welcome reprieve before the big concert the following day – and looking forward to a special night with boyfriend and fellow musician, cellist Briece Mochrie…

Senior Sergeant Susan Prescott was on the case immed
Vicki Tyley
May 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
“I crouched over the steering wheel, urging the Suzuki car on. Drivers coming the other way leaned on their horns as they fronted my headlights. The car behind me caught up and settled right on the back bumper, forcing me to take more chances. It swerved and began to draw alongside, until I could see the dark shape of the driver in the side mirror. I did a lightning inventory of what was in the car. Nothing available for a weapon. Can’t out-run him.” – The Naked Room

The Naked Room was recommende
Kim
Aug 26, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book which I was initially unsure of but in the end I thoroughly enjoyed. Its very different because it is told from the viewpoints of the different characters in the book. I was expecting because of the style of writing that the characters would be two dimensional but Diana Hockley manages quite skilfully to add depth to most but not quite all the characters. The different narratives were a key strength of the book but they was also its weakness. There were a couple of times when I thought th ...more
Lynda Kelly
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: deleted
I didn't really enjoy this and it was mainly due to the myriad of errors scattered throughout it. Even at some of the most dramatic parts of the story a glaring error would slap me in the face and totally take away the drama of the moment which was a bloody shame as the basic tale is a good one.
It's about a concert pianist who is kidnapped and the story of her mum, her friends, her new boyfriend and the father she didn't know existed as they all try and find her.
It's all set in Australia and I
Jeanne Bannon
Oct 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a lovely mystery with many well-drawn characters. Ms. Hockley did a wonderful job with this who-dunnit. Her clever writing kept me turning the pages.

Ms. Hockley takes the reader into the world of classical music with her main character and kidnap victim, Ally Carpenter and then spins a tale around her by bringing in other intriging characters.

I very much enjoyed this novel.
Peter
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the things that make The Naked Room especially enjoyable is that the story is told through the viewpoint of different characters. First Ally, then her mother, then the boyfriend, the former, the detective, and so on. We get a nice rounded sense of each as they go forward separately to solve the mystery. We feel as if they are all in it, and we know who they are on the inside, what makes them tick. A really enjoyable read. I think you should try it.
Marc Horn
Sep 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful and talented pianist is kidnapped, and some of her orchestra could be involved. Written in the first person, we then hear from several characters as they try to work out who was responsible.

The tension is well-maintained throughout this intense and emotional novel, due to both the unpredictable and violent disposition of the kidnappers, and also the particular talents of the victim: losing a finger would be as bad as losing her life… This was convincingly illustrated by the author an
Andria
May 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Secrets and Lies, Mystery and Intrigue = An Excellent Read!

This story takes place over a period of a week, where a high profile kidnapping is presumed to have taken place at the start. The case is dealt with by Detective Susan Prescott whom it would seem has both a personal and a professional interest in seeking a good outcome.

It's set in Australia where a young girl who is working as a classical pianist with an orchestra goes missing. There are few clues to go on and no apparent motive; Ally Ca
Wendy Cartmell
Jan 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Naked Room is written by Diana Hockley. I read her short story “The Metamorphosis of Troubadour Merriwether” and was so intrigued by her writing, than I was eager to try The Naked Room. This is a novel that doesn’t disappoint. Not just a straight detective novel, but rather an in-depth look at each character, their flaws and their motives for being involved.
When Ally Carpenter is taken and held for ransom, no one can think of a reason for the kidnapping, least of all the police. It’s the rea
Tim Greaton
Oct 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An edge-of-your seat suspense novel…

Diana Hockley is undeniably a unique voice in her field, and I mean that in only the most complimentary of ways. At sports events, we always seek out the best seat but in "The Naked Room" Diana manages to provide us with half a dozen best seats...all as experienced through the first person eyes of major characters.

A well-known and up-an-coming pianist in Australia's classical music scene, Ally Carpenter's fame ratchets upward a thousand-fold when she suddenly
Kathy
Dec 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
When classical pianist Ally Carpenter goes missing during a night out with friends, the implications stretch far beyond her disappearance. Veteran detective, Senior Sergeant Susan Prescott, believes that sexual predators may have abducted Ally. However, after two women with connections to the Carpenters are murdered, she realizes there may be more to the crime than at first thought.
While Prescott puts all her efforts into solving the crime, those close to Ally battle their own turmoil. Friendshi
Barbara Brink
Jun 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Naked Room is a terrific thriller with just enough thrills and chills to get your blood pumping and keep you on the edge of your seat. It's a bumpy ride as the the police try to unravel the mystery and find a missing young pianist before it's too late. But you're never quite sure whether her family and friends are accomplices or pawns. The author did a wonderful job of getting into the minds of her characters, who all have motive and opportunity galore. Between the jealousy and rivalry of fe ...more
Darth
Jul 08, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A page-turner for me. Couldn't put it down. Liked 90% of the book. Enjoyed the story being told from different perspectives. Ending was satisfactory but left me with many questions. There were quite a few misplaced quotation marks in the kindle version. Overall an entertaining book for the summer.

*spoiler*

The timeline of the whole revenge scheme is a little confusing. Did June just want to kidnap Ally to torture and kill her initially? Did Tommy target Georgie to start an affair so he can gather
Lynne Stringer
Apr 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, thriller
This is the first book I've read all year that I've enjoyed reading. It's not my usual genre - I'm not normally one for crime/thrillers - but there's no doubt it was an enjoyable, well-paced read that kept drawing me back to its pages. A couple of the relationship scenes were a little more explicit than I like, as were some terrifying moments in the life of the protagonist, Ally, whose ultimate fate I was desperate to discover.Ms Hockley includes points of view from a number of prominent charac ...more
Lorraine Cobcroft
Apr 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A real treat for lovers of superbly written mystery/crime novels, Diana Hockley's "The Naked Room" is one of those novels that absorbs you so that you are irritated at interruptions to your reading -- the sort that you can lose yourself in completely. Filled with characters you can relate to and revolving around high tension drama with loads of interesting twists, the story will keep you enthralled from the first word to the last.

Diana is an accomplished wordsmith, and her descriptions transport
Tina Hayes
Mar 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tnbw, mystery, kindle, thriller
Diana Hockley's "The Naked Room" is a novel brimming with suspense and mystery. The author's use of 1st point of view puts the reader deep into the psyche of the main characters, all of whom come alive on the page. There are plenty of twists to this plot you'll never see coming. From the first page to the last, this story had me hooked.

Ally is a concert pianist scheduled to play an important concert when the unthinkable happens. She's kidnapped and locked in a stark room, held prisoner by ruthle
Allan Lewis
Dec 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Naked Room is a well written story by Diana Hockley. The story is about the abduction of a twenty-five-year-old woman, Ally Carpenter. As Diana lets you meet each character you will fins out their secrets and lies that they tell in the hunt for Ally.
Her Mother, Aunt Ally's friends and Detective Susan Prescott has secrets to hide.
There is plenty of mystery, murder and even a little romance to keep you turning the pages. a real enjoyable read.
Jaynessa Campbell
Aug 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: not-new-books
This was a great book, excellent writing quality, and I very much enjoyed it. The only reason I had any difficulty with the book what so ever was the Australian slang terms, which sometimes made it difficult to know what the author was saying. However, understanding that she is Australian it really did not detract from my enjoyment of the book! I enjoyed the story line, and love that the author is a fellow rattie lover! :)
Jeannie
Apr 27, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't understand the 4 or 5 star ratings on this one. The story had potential, but the fact the every POV was in the first person drove me crazy! As the characters were 2 dimensional at best, I found myself skimming over more than a few chapters. The "I's", "I'm", "Me's" and "Mine's" throughout really took away from what might have been a 3 or 4 star book.
Maggie
Aug 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this page-turner with characters I could relate to and unexpected twists and turns.
Jack
Dec 27, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Complicated mystery thriller set in Brisbane, in which the kidnapping of a young concert pianist uncovers secrets from the past.
Amanda
Nov 20, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was good, but not always well written. It had an edge of your seat plot and kept you guessing until the end.
Vanda Bromwich
Mar 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A kidnapping set in Australia. The girl kidnapped, a musician, had never met her father, so didn't know if the ransom would be paid. A lot of violence in the book, but an enjoyable read.
Gary Watson
Exciting finish. Quite liked this book once I got used to the book constantly changing the POV.
Joy
Jan 28, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read
Camille
Nov 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book keeps you turning the pages because you become anxious on trying to figure out who is involved in the kidnapping and also wanting to know who her father is.
Jerry Borror
Jan 15, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The boring read.

Maybe it's me but I thought the story line was too drawn out and sometime hard to follow. I believe a second grader could write a better story.
PMowl
Mar 27, 2017
Michele
Jul 25, 2020
Maggie
Apr 29, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Outcry - Holocaust memoirs
  • A Dark Lure (A Dark Lure, #1)
  • Awakened (Cursed Magic, #2)
  • Snow & Ash (Endless Winter #1)
  • Mr. Wuffles!
  • Don't Make a Sound (Sawyer Brooks, #1)
  • Silent Child (Silent Child, #1)
  • Inside Room 913
  • Split Second (Split Second, #1)
  • Entrapped (Cursed Magic, #3)
  • Cursed (Cursed Magic #1)
  • Squall
  • Bone Music (Burning Girl, #1)
  • The Flip
  • Consumed (Cursed Magic #4)
  • The Forgotten Hours
  • The Suicide Game
  • The Overtaking

Diana HOCKLEY has completed her third book, AFTER ARIEL, now published in e-book and paperback.She has six short stories on Amazon along with the first two in the Susan Prescott series, The Naked Room and The Celibate Mouse. She writes, edits and reviews for the online Californian magazine, Kings River Life. Currently writing the next in the Susan Prescott stories - A Dark and Lonely Place.

Diana i

Susan Prescott series (3 books)
  • The Celibate Mouse (Susan Prescott #2)
  • After Ariel - It Started as a Game (Susan Prescott #3)