Start by marking “A Family in Paris: Stories of Food, Life and Adventure” as Want to Read:
A Family in Paris: Stories of Food, Life and Adventure

A Family in Paris: Stories of Food, Life and Adventure

When Australian Jane Paech moves to Paris, her visions of afternoons in bijou bistros and bookshops on the Left Bank are kept in check by the needs of a young family and a long to-do list that includes apartment-hunting, school selection, and multiple trips to IKEA.

Through a collection of sharp observations, insightful travel articles and laugh-out-loud anecdotes, A Family
Published March 28th 2011 by Penguin Group (Australia)

To ask other readers questions about A Family in Paris, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Family in Paris

Almost French by Sarah TurnbullThe Glow of Paris by Gary ZuercherThe Lollipop Shoes by Joanne HarrisA Year in Provence by Peter MayleEncore Provence by Peter Mayle
I love Paris
48 books — 9 voters
A Year in Provence by Peter MayleAll the Light We Cannot See by Anthony DoerrMy Life in France by Julia ChildA Moveable Feast by Ernest HemingwayMadeline by Ludwig Bemelmans
Life in France
247 books — 62 voters

More lists with this book...

John Nebauer
Jul 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: travel
For many, the thought of living overseas is the dream of a lifetime. Make that location Paris and heads fill with thoughts of food, romance and fine living. Jane Paech did that for six years with her family, and their experiences were chronicled A Family in Paris: stories of food, life and adventure.

Chronicled is perhaps not the right word, for the book is thematic rather than strictly sequential. The chapter titles reflect the author’s feelings for this magical city. After the first heady impr
Kathryn
Reading this book is a lovely experience at any time, but it would be an especially great book to read for anyone planning a number of weeks in Paris as the author describes boutiques, cafes, museums, parks etc that are "off the beaten track" which would give a nice, broad Parisian experience - to enable exploration of the haunts of the locals. It is fun to read about the way in which daily life goes on in Paris - the hassles of bureaucracy, the formality of the French, the ways to go about shop ...more
Veronica
Oct 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is the living in Paris book I have been trying to find and just happened to pick it up randomly at the library when I was looking for a good book to read. Quelle suprise! I loved her observations and daily life snapshots. It really brought out what I think the real experience of living there with a family would be like and reminded me that I never NEVER want to live there, especially with kids. Visit yes, live in the city proper, no way!
Olwen
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
An essential book for anyone moving to Paris to live. Warmly describes the culture, the people, the problems and the beauty. And the all-important tip: Rentals in Paris don't necessarily come with a kitchen!
Liz
Apr 22, 2011 added it
Shelves: read-in-2011
Gorgeous hard book from the library. Photos are so inspiring!
Indy Fernandez
May 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2018
Scattered funny anecdotes and a surface insight into daily life in Paris, not much to recommend it otherwise.
Susan White-Riggs
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well, I love Paris, so of course I liked this book. But It was interesting and has lots of stores, restaurants, museums, etc. to help plan a trip to Paris.
Michelle
Apr 06, 2015 rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading this. It probably helps that I am heading to Paris and am therefore doing research, but irregardless, it is still an enjoyable read.
Jane's description of the trials and tribulations of daily life in Paris did make me wonder if I still want to go. The seriousness and intolerance of Parisians (thus described) is an alien mindset to most Aussie (and other) outsiders. There is no doubt that Paris is a beautiful city, but intimidating too.

This book maybe non fiction, but it is cert
Anne Green
Nov 23, 2014 rated it liked it
A part-memoir, part-travelogue, written by Jane Paech who spent 6 years living in Paris with her then husband and two young daughters. Delightful read and even if you're not planning to live there, very informative about the Parisian way of life, the "natives" and things you need to know regardless of the time you spend there. Interesting insight into the differences between the Australian and French education systems, which for one of Jane's daughters in particular proved an initially traumatic ...more
Bonnie Brandon
Aug 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Love this book. It is my bedtime reading. Jane Paech and her family moved from Australia to Paris as expats. The book is a series of vignettes about Jane, her husband and their two preteen daughters adjusting to everyday life as they attempted to settle in. Relatively simple events turn into monumental tasks as a result of language barriers and cultural differences.

At times the book reads like a Frommer's Guide to Paris. Jane documents places that she has frequented and lists them at the end of
Allyson
Feb 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love this cover, both the dust jacket and underneath.
For anyone familiar with Paris, this is a lot of fun to read and I jotted down many vocabulary words in addition to salient addresses. I was amused by many of her anecdotes and read them aloud to great laughter. She is an engaging and witty recorder of events and situations and I really enjoyed the reading of this in a classy and visually appealing format.
My only criticism is her timeline and and how she jumped around chapter or snippet to
kim
Jun 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
interesting, but a little awkward. it's about a family from Australia that moved to Paris for 6 years, and is half memoir, half travel book -- but there's not enough memoir to really make it interesting, and all the travel details slows it down - but it's also too long and bulky to be a good travel resource. i guess if you were going to go to Paris for a long period of time it would be worth reading -- I've always had a fear of going places where I don't know the language, and this book reinforc ...more
Carmen
Dec 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: travel
An Australian family moves to Paris because of the husband's job. This is an account of how they live, manage and discover living in Paris. It has some of the gritty details, but lacks some. The author balances the negatives, like French bureauracy, with the positives, like the cultural experiences. I really enjoyed all the pictures, just felt that this book had fewer details than I would have liked. There is no account really of how their lives changed because of this experience, and few of how ...more
Jan Polep
Sep 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Found this "new book" and took it home to look at the pictures. Read it cover to cover and was fascinated by looking at Paris not as a tourist but from the perspective of a Australian family living in Paris due to job transfer. Who knew...all these fun foodie facts, history stories, idiotic French procedures...all told in a page here, paragraph there and sprinkled all over with websites, pictures, addresses and more. Better than Fodor's or Frommer's and could only be improved on by including a p ...more
Betsy Morgan
Sep 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely LOVED this book. I have lived in Paris briefly and always wanted to return. This book was extremely enlightening to me. I finished it and instantly felt sad and longed to meet the author and befriend her, a real testament to how winning her voice is. I look forward to reading more of her work and giving this book as a present to my Francophile friends.
ourhouseinquercy
May 13, 2013 rated it did not like it
Nice pictures, bloody awful read. There are so many other great books out there about living in France and/or Paris - this one is such a let down. The author's narrative voice and her 'insights' are nothing short annoying. Many of the tips and hints about the French and life in France are heavily borrowed from other books. Borrow it from your library for the pictures, but don't waste your money.
Beverly
Dec 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
The very brief time I spent in Paris seems to really "fit" how out-of-place that beautiful city can make you feel if you are NOT Parisian. The author give so many revelations on where you should spend you time rather than visiting all the tourist spots. This book will be my guide if I ever get the chance to go back.
Laurel Cook
Aug 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a lovely coffee table style book with beautiful photography and courageous stories. Particularly inspiring as the author stepped away from her nursing career in Australia to support her husband in an overseas move....and decided to become an author along the way!
Linda
Feb 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have read this book over many weeks. It was always delightful to pick it up and become familiar again with Jane and her family. To me it was the next best thing to actually being in Paris - I loved this book.
Kate Stedman
May 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a must-read for those of us who love to find out more about the reality of living in Paris. Jane Paech documents her troubles with her kids'schooling, the language and la mentalite francaise which can be exasperating at times. It is a fascinating journey into Parisian life
Shann Curtin

Lovely book to read but makes me a but glad it was her family moved to Paris, not mine! I found the ending a little sad...
Diana
May 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
I loved this book! The page design and photographs are gorgeous. I learned many interesting details about Paris even though I have been there many times.
Jane Leahy
Jun 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great details of everyday places to visit. Good insight into how Aust kids cope? In French school system. Use with my classes here.
Alison Stegert
May 08, 2011 rated it liked it
A Mother's Day present
Rachael
Aug 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
A visual feast, and a realistic look at an Australian family attempting to live in Paris. No more Paris Syndrome for me after reading this.
Moosetash
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • My (Part-Time) Paris Life: How Running Away Brought Me Home
  • Blossoming In Provence
  • Paris In Mind
  • The Essence of Style: How the French Invented High Fashion, Fine Food, Chic Cafes, Style, Sophistication, and Glamour
  • Paris, Paris: Journey into the City of Light
  • French Dirt: The Story of a Garden in the South of France
  • The Invention of the Restaurant: Paris and Modern Gastronomic Culture
  • Love and Hunger
  • C'est La Folie
  • Dreaming in French: The Paris Years of Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy, Susan Sontag, and Angela Davis
  • Crave: Why You Binge Eat and How to Stop
  • A Corner in the Marais: Memoir of a Paris Neighborhood
  • Neon Pilgrim
  • Remembrance of Things Paris: Sixty Years of Writing from Gourmet (Modern Library Food)
  • The Montmartre Investigation (Victor Legris, #3)
  • Au Revoir to All That: Food, Wine, and the End of France
  • Breathless: An American Girl in Paris
  • Money for Nothing: One Man's Journey Through the Dark Side of Lottery Millions