Start by marking “Maisie Dobbs Bundle #1, Pardonable Lies and Messenger of Truth: Books 3 and 4” as Want to Read:
Maisie Dobbs Bundle #1, Pardonable Lies and Messenger of Truth: Books 3 and 4

Maisie Dobbs Bundle #1, Pardonable Lies and Messenger of Truth: Books 3 and 4 (Maisie Dobbs #3-4)

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  791 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Maisie Dobbs Bundle #1, Pardonable Lies and Messenger of Truth

Books 3 and 4 in the New York Times Bestselling Series

"An outstanding historical series . . . deeply empathetic." (The New York Times Book Review)

Pardonable Lies , by Jacqueline Winspear
(Maisie Dobbs novel #3)

In the third novel of this unique and masterly crime series, a deathbed plea from his wife leads
Published February 15th 2011 by Henry Holt and Co. (first published February 4th 2011)

Be the first to ask a question about Maisie Dobbs Bundle #1, Pardonable Lies and Messenger of Truth

Ruth
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime-mystery
After taking a break from Reading Books 1 and 2 of the Maisie Dobbs series and while my local library hunted them down, reading them was like a heart warming homecoming. I can only hope it won't take as long for them to get books 5 and 6. This series will prompt you to briskly move on to the next book in sucession, Love them!
Linda McLaughlin
In Pardonable Lies, Maisie is asked to confirm the battlefield death of a man's son, as well as to find out more about a friend's brother who was reported missing, presumed dead, in WWI as well. It means Maisie must return to France and fight her own demons after being wounded at a battle station while nursing. And to make matters worse, someone wants her dead. I loved this book. I think it's one of the best so far, after the first book which was excellent. I do recommend this series.

Messenger o
Gretchen Lord
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish I could have reviewed these two books individually, but I bought them as a two-volume set so I suppose I am bound to a single review as they are bound together. I liked Pardonable Lies very much. Kept me glued to every word. It was a good story and well-written. And it made me like the character Maisie Dobbs even more. Even through the next volume, Messenger of Truth, I'm finding a fiercely independent woman making a way for herself in a Post - WW II world and in a profession (private inv ...more
Marti
May 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Pardonable Lies:
As a teacher, it’s interesting and delightful to see a writer’s craft develop. I believe I am witnessing that development of art and skill in Jacqueline Winspear. With each book in the Maisie Dobbs series, she is just better. The plots have seemed to have more “pizzazz” and the characters just get rounder and rounder. I really liked that this book was in three sections, with the first section set in England, the second in France, and the last back in England. As in the previous b
Roya
Dec 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Alexander McCall Smith (No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency) recommended this author and I have enjoyed the books so far. If you like Alexander McCall Smith, Agatha Christie, etc., you will enjoy this series too. It is set in the U.K. (for the most part) between the World Wars. The main character is Maisie Dobbs, "psychologist and investigator." She is also a little bit "New Age." She is an interesting character, as are the characters associated with her in the book. The light psychology and New Age t ...more
Bob Lenning
Nov 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Pardonable Lies:

There's no murder here, so in some ways it is not a traditional mystery. But it is still a mystery nonetheless. And though the mysteries aren't deep, there are multiple plots running at the same time and this makes it rather suspenseful. I find Ms. Winspear's writing easy to read and am really enjoying this series. Having read most of the Ian Rutledge series by Charles Todd too, I find these British after-the-war historicals informative as well as entertaining.

Messenger of Truth:
Jodi
Apr 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Really enjoy this author. Love the mix of history, mystery and psychology all rolled into one. Listened to this on my commute so there was a small mishap where four chapters were skipped but didn't lose out on the story much just my prolonged enjoyment. Author doesn't belittle the reader nor does she not give you a chance to figure out the mystery. Guess the best thing I can say is that I have just completed the download for the next book. Someday I'll read a print book again after planning for ...more
Jan Murphy
Jan 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh Maisie

Such a good read. Hard to put down. This is my fourth Maisie Dobbs book and I plan to read them all. Most reviewers like to tell part of the story...not me. I don't want to spoil the story for you. I just want to assure you that Jacqueline Winspear is a master story teller and holds your interest from beginning to end. She fleshes out her characters so you can really see them. Her landscape descriptions are brilliant. Buy her books, you will not be disappointed..and you'll wish for more
Cissy
Sep 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm not usually a mystery reader, but thanks to book club, I started into this great series. The history and psychology keep me interested even when the actual case is only so-so. I like books that are more character-driven, so I enjoyed slowly figuring out the story of this thoughtful, brilliant, sometimes nervous and troubled, British gal. I'm finding myself picking up the next book from the library whenever I need a good, fun, but not stupid or shallow, read. (I do think that the case in the ...more
Ginia
It shouldn't have taken me 2 months, but I finally finished Messenger of Truth today. I suppose Maisie Dobbs is a very intense character. For me, she requires long periods of calm reflection.

This book was about an artist and his art. Reading about art and reading about someone trying to understand the artist also requires long breaks of calm reflection. Some of my breaks were maybe too long but the writing and story are tight enough to 'draw' me in. Kept me reading to the end. And the end is th
Jeanne
These are both great stories. Always there are philosophical questions to answer. Maisie knows just how to handle the situations she's confronted with and it's never easy. The only life she doesn't seem to know how to give advice for is her own. Thankfully she has a wonderful friend in Priscilla who calls 'em like she sees 'em.

Tracey
Apr 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love Maisie Dobbs stories! The 3rd one I like a little better than the fourth in this book but both were great. I appreciate that she is a strong, smart female living in s time when females were suppose to be neither of those things. Interested to see how this series deals with the lead up to WW2.
Deb
Mar 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love this series. I am not a fan of historical fiction as a rule but I find this period in England to be fascinating. The strength and gentleness of Maisie is a marvelous and compelling combination. Once deep in these books, I become oblivious to the world, having escaped across the sea to a world far removed from my own.
Mum
Pardonable Lies was 4 stars. Masie faces her fears while solving the mystery. The journey to France was intriguing.

Messenger of Truth was boring to me. Masie's dithering has become annoying. The plot of this one was weak to me. At best this tale was a very weak 3, which impacted the overall rating.
Michelle
Nov 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Just ok books--- could not get pulled into the story or characters like I wanted to!! But glad I read the books as they were recommended to me. Liked that each had a mystery and stories that twist and turn, but it was not the type of story that had me reading it all in one sitting ....
Ruth
Jan 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: summer-reads
3.5 stars. I like Maisie Dobbs. I don't know why I only feel 3 stars about her. For the good writing, strong female lead and interesting tales, what is it that leaves me wanting?
Felicia Oglesby
Getting Even Better

These two books continued the threads of back stories and central characters from previous ones. The plot twists and new characters make this a fun series.
Michele Benson
It was great, unexpected surprises and a good ending. I can't wait for the next one.
Phil
Mar 20, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Think of a 30s Miss Marple sort of crime solver. No sex or violence to speak of. Quiet, thoughtful and seemingly accurate to the period. Good but not compelling reading.
Shawndra
May 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm hooked.
Marge
I must have missed this one when I was reading the Maisie Dobbs books in sequence. Good read though a bit slow in parts... part of the Winspear style.
Kathy Boozan
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
loved it
Patty
Jul 16, 2011 added it
great escape; nice series
Jennifer Kepesh
Jul 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Winspear grew more confident, and the mysteries are more polished. Both Pardonable Lies and especially Messenger of Truth are fine cozies.
Diane
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So far, I just love the Maisie Dobbs books. The author writes from such a human point of view. The stories also help me understand the post WWI time in England.
Antoinette
Charles S. Ellis
May 12, 2015
Michelle
Jun 13, 2015
  • Twelve Hours (Dan Morgan #4)
  • The Pot Thief Who Studied Pythagoras (A Pot Thief Murder Mystery #1)
  • The Face in the Mirror (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #11.5)
  • Capitol Offense (Ben Kencaid, #17)
  • Suspicion of Innocence (Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana #1)
  • Microbe
  • Mrs. Budley Falls from Grace (Poor Relation, #3)
  • Gumption: The Practical Woman's Guide to Living an Adventuresome Life
  • Margarita Nights (Sherri Travis Mysteries, #1)
  • Other Worlds
  • Going All the Way
  • Paying the Piper (Elizabeth MacPherson, #4)
  • Burglary Blues (Lexie Sarcone/Michael Riley, #1)
  • The Distance Between Us
  • The Lady Julia Grey Bundle (Lady Julia Grey, #1-3)
  • The Geometry of God
  • Works of Edith Wharton
  • The Door in the Wall and Other Stories
Jacqueline Winspear was born and raised in the county of Kent, England. Following higher education at the University of London’s Institute of Education, Jacqueline worked in academic publishing, in higher education and in marketing communications in the UK.

She emigrated to the United States in 1990, and while working in business and as a personal / professional coach, Jacqueline embarked upon a li
More about Jacqueline Winspear...

Maisie Dobbs (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Maisie Dobbs (Maisie Dobbs, #1)
  • Birds of a Feather (Maisie Dobbs, #2)
  • Pardonable Lies (Maisie Dobbs, #3)
  • Messenger of Truth (Maisie Dobbs, #4)
  • An Incomplete Revenge (Maisie Dobbs, #5)
  • Among the Mad (Maisie Dobbs, #6)
  • The Mapping of Love and Death (Maisie Dobbs, #7)
  • A Lesson in Secrets (Maisie Dobbs, #8)
  • Elegy for Eddie (Maisie Dobbs, #9)
  • Leaving Everything Most Loved (Maisie Dobbs, #10)