Start by marking “Santaland Diaries” as Want to Read:
Santaland Diaries

Santaland Diaries

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  38,699 Ratings  ·  410 Reviews
Mantello and Sedaris play.
Published (first published October 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Santaland Diaries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Santaland Diaries

Aimee Meacham
Aug 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I highly recommend you listen to Sedaris read the Santaland Diaries aloud. You can find it in the "This American Life" archives. His voice adds so much to this already funny story.
Roula
Jan 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2.5 με 3 αστέρια. .
ειναι ενα πολυ συντομο ιστορικο καποιων αστειων περιστατικων που συνεβησαν στον συγγραφεα οταν δουλεψε σαν ..ξωτικο στο μεγαλυτερο πολυκαταστημα της νεας υορκης(macy's)..καποια πολυ αστεια περιστατικα, παιδια,γινεις,φωτογραφιες, καλαντα, ενας χαμος..ευχαριστο αλλα ως εκει..
Lorenzo Berardi
Feb 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008, american
Read. Re-read. Re-re-read. And on and on and on. I think I have a problem with this essay. That's the only point on which my doctor and shrink agree. They suggested me to rehab. I tried.

I found a job. The more you work the less you think. That's what I thought before thinking less. The job was great and satisfactory. I gave leaflets on the streets dressed like a french fry. The kind of job someone could kill to don't have one. Yet, I found more than a job. I found feelings. I fell in love with a
Lena♥Ribka

I couldn't any more ignore a highly positive feedback from many readers about David Sedaris's comedy skills. And Christmas from a different perspective? That sounded interesting!

Unfortunately, in regard to this book, my high expectations were not totally met.

There were for sure some really funny observations, comments and thoughts, but on the whole I found the humour in this collection out of non-fiction stories rather monotonous than sparking-refreshing.

I hope, I'll have more luck with my next
Elizabeth
Really this book is a 2.5, but I'm feeling generous (it's Christmas!) so rounding up - Maybe 20% was funny, 50% was mean-spirited and 15% was interesting and 15% boring...

You can see the satirical voice Sedaris is aiming for, but for me it just wasn't quite clever enough, or witty enough, to pull of the rather mean things he says. The first story about being an elf is Macy's was perhaps the best, most sardonic and darkly humorous. It did have me laughing aloud a few times on the train. There we
Ali
Jan 01, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 52-books
Interesting, two books in one week. Who THOUGHT SO!

Now, I only read this because exams week is coming! Prepare for exams by reading irrelevant books. Yes, This is how I do it.

Now, let's review this good laugh.

I didn't enjoy it that much, but it's surely a good laugh before exams.

Christmas, only saw it in movie. Surely I've read about Christmas, what it is. The fact that people wait in line for more than one hour to JUST see A NOT real Santa Claus is funny.

Now David will act as an elf in this st
Adam
The audio version (heard it first on NPR) read by Sedaris is unforgettably funny! The text version will make you laugh out loud and cause people to stare at you, but it is nothing compared to hearing Sedaris tell the story. Text alone would get 3 or 4 stars, but the audio get s 7 stars on a 5 star scale.
Angel Gelique
Review to come.
Daniel Parsons
Dec 04, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: glbt
My third book by David Sedaris (following Me Talk Pretty One Day and Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim) and my first disappointment. The back cover of the book inaccurately labels this as memoir, when in fact only two of the six stories are auto-biographical – and, tellingly, those two are the only ones I really enjoyed. Sedaris really should stick with non-fiction, which he writes with flair, humor and poignancy, whereas his fiction sections tend to be so over-the-top and garish that they ...more
Manik Sukoco
Dec 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most hilarious Christmas tales around. You will never look at Christmas the same after exploring Sedaris's amazingly funny but somewhat dark world. I am amazed at Sedaris's guts to write down a lot of things that most of us would rather to keep to ourselves and that makes me realize what a hypocrite I am. You all must simply have this!
Cat
Dec 28, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014, ebook
Meh! Not really exciting, or funny for that matter.

I liked the first two stories, and had a great time reading them. They were actually funny. The of them, not so much.

I'm guessing David Sedaris's humour has some moments that are just not for me.
Sharon
Jul 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've tried to read this short story before, when I wasn't familiar with David Sedaris. I couldn't picture him in my head, I couldn't hear his voice, I didn't know what to make of him so I left it.

Now, after reading some of his other books and listening to him being incredibly funny, warm and self-deprecating (and singing jingles in the style of Billie Holliday) - it was time to revisit this. Or, read it because it popped up on my Kindle and I'd forgotten I had it.

Written in 1997, this is the sho
Kandice
May 24, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to like this. I did like the first tale, the Christmas Whore tale and the final little bit, but everything else was just too, too much, especially the letter and the one-upmanship story.

The Christmas Family update letter was just awful. I know what Sedaris was going for. We have friends who send those obnoxious letters and include a heavily airbrushed studio portrait. Those of us that are close to them know the "real story". How close they got to divorce, the teen pregnancy scare
M. Donner
The SantaLand Diaries is a gloomy anti-holiday tale for the rest of us gloomsters to get in the holiday spirit.

The first time I heard the SantaLand Diaries was in an audio recording, read by real-man-Charlie-Brown himself, David Sedaris. This took place in a highly conservative high school, mind you. The reception was hilarious. The exchanged glances: terrified.

That being said, I highly recommended The SantaLand Diaries in audio format, read by the author. If you have troubles navigating the "
Frances Sawaya
Nov 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My introduction to Sedaris was via my great friend, Craig. At the time the author was reading the SantaLand Diaries on NPR; we would listen on our respective drives home from AULA and then rehash all the crazy stories and images the next day, sometimes laughing so hard that tears rolled down our cheeks. The book (a slim one) was funny in its way but could not really equal Sedaris's dry humour on air. As we approach Christmas, I really suggest you get a copy of the tapes from NPR archives, failin ...more
Debbie Petersen
Sep 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This should go down in history as one of the funniest stories ever written. Having been to the Macys Santaland in NYC several Christmases with my young sons only adds to the experience, as does having worked for Macys. Forget reading blah stuff like The Night before Christmas as your holiday classic! The first time I read this I was literally doubled over on the floor giggling helplessly with tears running down my face.
Océane (une.bibliotheque)
Before reading this book, I thought it was going to be something about a man dressed up as Santa describing his journey but not at all. In my opinion, it's a good book, well written and easy to understand, but I couldn't understand where it was going to lead me. The fact that the book is divided into 6 stories make it hard to understand everthing and to get attached to the characters. Some moments were funny because the author had his sense of humor but sometimes, I didn't get it.
Andy Moss
Very much front loaded so the first piece was very good and then went down hill for the others. A lot of his output is pretty mean spirited and aimed at slightly undeserving targets (Cristmas Nativity plays by 10 years old aren't that good? Really, tell me more). Although some of the framing devices are good, I felt if you took them away there wasn't that much left, and in particular nothing insightful. So, boo hiss for me.
Darth J
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This is actually pretty hilarious. To think what happens at Macy*s during the holidays.

One word of caution: do not listen to this as an audiobook. I'm serious. Although it's nice in theory to hear an author read his own words, Sedaris's voice sounds the way crickets smell. If you hear it, you will know exactly what I mean. Just read it instead.
Gwen
Sep 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This audio book is probably the only Christmas tradition I hold to besides Linda and I taking our fake Christmas photos with themes like "Cats as baby Jesus Nativity scene" "Creepy Elves" and "Fiberglass Jesus and Beenie Babies", I mention these because this audio book (and the book is best that way) is the PERFECT background to that sort of activity.
Greg Kerestan
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sedaris is one of the great comic essayists, and his blend of fiction and nonfiction (sometimes impossible to completely separate) has made "Santaland Diaries" both a truly memorable piece and a great one-man show. Strongly recommended for a dose of Christmas commercial absurdism.
Debra  Golden
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
irreverently hilarious
Rebecca
The fictional chapters in this book shocked me quite a bit. I enjoyed Sedaris' chapters based on his real life a lot more. They always make me laugh.
Jessica
Jan 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not my favorite Sedaris book, but still wonderfully funny!
Ryan
Dec 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don't read it. Listen to the audiobook.
Colette
Nov 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
If you want a quick, bawdy, laugh out loud funny book, this is it! Hilarious.
Francesca
Jan 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny, nice, true, short stories. Definitely worth reading it.
Katie
Dec 11, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Laura Besley
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sedaris is funny. I don't find him roll-around-the-aisles-funny, but he is amusing, and I had a couple of laugh-out-loud moments reading this collection of stories. Good for getting you in the mood for Christmas, or equally for the cynics out there, reminding you that there's a darker side to all the festivities.
Judy
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SantaLand Diaries is my favorite piece of writing by David Sedaris. I can't count the number of times that I have read or listened to this gem, but each time I laugh just as much as I did the first time.
2015 Reading Chal...: Santaland Diaries by David Sedaris 1 18 Aug 24, 2015 03:03AM
  • The Book of Liz - Acting Edition
  • Kick Me: Adventures in Adolescence
  • Dial M for Monkey
  • Pure Drivel
  • Naked Pictures of Famous People
  • Our Dumb Century: The Onion Presents 100 Years of Headlines from America's Finest News Source
  • Claw Your Way to the Top: How to Become the Head of a Major Corporation in Roughly a Week
  • The Golden Gizmo
  • I Am Not Myself These Days
David Sedaris is a Grammy Award-nominated American humorist and radio contributor.

Sedaris came to prominence in 1992 when National Public Radio broadcast his essay "SantaLand Diaries." He published his first collection of essays and short stories, Barrel Fever, in 1994. Each of his four subsequent essay collections, Naked (1997), Holidays on Ice (1997), Me Talk Pretty One Day (2000), Dress Your Fa
More about David Sedaris...

“The woman in charge of costuming assigned us our outfits and gave us a lecture on keeping things clean. She held up a calendar and said, "Ladies, you know what this is. Use it. I have scraped enough blood out from the crotches of elf knickers to last me the rest of my life. And don't tell me, 'I don't wear underpants, I'm a dancer.' You're not a dancer. If you were a real dancer you wouldn't be here. You're an elf and you're going to wear panties like an elf.” 20 likes
“Standing in a two-hour line makes people worry that they're not living in a democratic nation. People stand in line for two houres and they go over the edge.” 11 likes